Searching For A Job - Rant/Rave/Discuss Here

• Please log in to reply
550 replies to this topic

#391 yourlefthand

yourlefthand

Daddy Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:21 PM

The dc area is a bit unique for it jobs, at least for now.

#392 paddlefoot

paddlefoot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:21 PM

I need to vent. I graduated almost 2 years ago with a degree in accounting. Small well-respected private school, reasonably decent not great GPA (3.5), but have had no luck getting a job.

I believe my main reason for difficulty is my lack of networking or interning during school. I went to school part-time while working a full-time job. It was too late by the time I learned the importance of networking and getting your face in front of firms prior to graduation.

I still work a full-time job for the State. Great benefits, poor pay. Had around 5-10 interviews in the last year with no luck. I'm sure my lack of accounting experience in the current job market severly undermines my opportunities.

Any advice? I've been in my current position for almost 7 years and it has killed my drive and sucked the life out of me. I'm willing to do anything in accounting or business.

#393 kodave

kodave

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:24 PM

I need to vent. I graduated almost 2 years ago with a degree in accounting. Small well-respected private school, reasonably decent not great GPA (3.5), but have had no luck getting a job.

I believe my main reason for difficulty is my lack of networking or interning during school. I went to school part-time while working a full-time job. It was too late by the time I learned the importance of networking and getting your face in front of firms prior to graduation.

I still work a full-time job for the State. Great benefits, poor pay. Had around 5-10 interviews in the last year with no luck. I'm sure my lack of accounting experience in the current job market severly undermines my opportunities.

Any advice? I've been in my current position for almost 7 years and it has killed my drive and sucked the life out of me. I'm willing to do anything in accounting or business.

I'm not in the "business" or accounting fields, but are there any local accounting associations you could join? Surely there's some kind of local business associations or groups you could join. You might want to consider joining something like Rotary Club where many business people join for charitable activities. That will open up some networking for you.

#394 yourlefthand

yourlefthand

Daddy Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:24 PM

Where do you live? Are you flexible about that?

#395 JP

JP

Proud member of the Ravens Nation!

• Trade-in Value Team

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:51 PM

My cousin had a similar situation on trying to get into the accounting field out of school. What he ended up doing was signing up on a couple headhunter locations in larger cities (originally from Southern Indiana) that he'd willing to move to. He ended up taking 3-6 month contract jobs for about a year and a half. Some of them can lead to direct hire but he went through 4 contracts and then had built up some good contacts. The lead for his current job came from his supervisor at his last contract job.

all-banner.jpg

CAG Apple Game Center/OpenFeint/Plus+/WWF IDs

CAG Game Database & You - Small little tutorial I guess you would call it.

#396 Dead of Knight

Dead of Knight

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:35 PM

I don't understand why you wouldn't intern during an accounting degree. The pay is great, especially at the Big Four, and very often leads to a full time job after graduating.

And I agree, best thing you could do now is do temp and/or contract work. Also, do you have your CPA license? If not that's probably a big reason why you can't find a job.
RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

This is the greatest thing ever. Certainly in the OTT at least.

#397 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:52 PM

And I actually got another call today from another recruiter!

Anyway, the job I'm in right now is a support role, kinda help desk/desktop support. I'd like to get into networking or systems administration, but I kinda feel like I don't know quite enough yet. If I interviewed for that network admin job I'd feel in over my head and it would probably show.

Here is the thing though, at the place I just started at, one of the network admins and the sharepoint admin started out on the team I'm on, moving up after a while on tier 1 support (they're basically tier 2 now). Plus the guy I replaced has moved onto do SQL database stuff on their dev team. They're really into letting people grow their skills and move onto bigger roles. Plus, without getting too specific, they have unionized employees, and as such they offer us the same benefits, thus the outstanding insurance and pension/401k. I doubt I'd get that at most places, kinda makes up for the bit less money.

On the subject of money though, I'm kinda wondering if I shouldn't ask for a bit more. I'm on a 3 month contract right now while they feel me out. I'm wondering if when it comes time if I should ask for just a bit more. The other guy they interviewed along with me wanted considerably more than I'm looking for, so I figure if I just asked for a couple grand more a year they probably wouldn't say no. Couldn't hurt anyway.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#398 AvengedBacklog

AvengedBacklog

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:13 AM

I graduated last year with a degree in Economics (and a minor in Accounting, which is more what I want to do) so I can relate. I got lucky and got a temp job in an accounting department a month after graduation and a permanent position there opened up after a few months. I now get good benefits, 401K, etc, and a decent starting salary while building my experience in accounting procedures and Excel, and can hopefully parlay that into a more specific Accounting job in a year or so. Contract jobs are definitely the best way to go to start out, especially if you want to build up your networking.

#399 paddlefoot

paddlefoot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:35 AM

First of all thank you to everyone in this thread. I didn't expect such overwhelming advice and support.

I'm not in the "business" or accounting fields, but are there any local accounting associations you could join? Surely there's some kind of local business associations or groups you could join. You might want to consider joining something like Rotary Club where many business people join for charitable activities. That will open up some networking for you.

I'll check into local business associations.

Where do you live? Are you flexible about that?

I live in Eastern Pennsylvania. I am willing to relocate within reason (OH, VA, NY, NJ, DE, MA etc)

My cousin had a similar situation on trying to get into the accounting field out of school. What he ended up doing was signing up on a couple headhunter locations in larger cities (originally from Southern Indiana) that he'd willing to move to. He ended up taking 3-6 month contract jobs for about a year and a half. Some of them can lead to direct hire but he went through 4 contracts and then had built up some good contacts. The lead for his current job came from his supervisor at his last contract job.

I will look into contract work. Was he able to find work without experience?

I don't understand why you wouldn't intern during an accounting degree. The pay is great, especially at the Big Four, and very often leads to a full time job after graduating.

And I agree, best thing you could do now is do temp and/or contract work. Also, do you have your CPA license? If not that's probably a big reason why you can't find a job.

I didn't intern because of my full-time job.

Do not have my CPA license. The way I understood it most (all?) entry-level accountants do not yet have their CPA credentials. I do know none of my classmates who were able to find work with firms had their CPAs prior to starting.

On another note. I now need 150 semester hours to qualify as a CPA and only have 125 right now. The increase occurred several months after graduation. Would it be a waste to go back for an additional 25 credits and try to intern again if all else fails?

#400 JP

JP

Proud member of the Ravens Nation!

• Trade-in Value Team

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:52 AM

I will look into contract work. Was he able to find work without experience?

Yeah. The time it'll take depends upon the job market in your area but he found some relatively quick.

all-banner.jpg

CAG Apple Game Center/OpenFeint/Plus+/WWF IDs

CAG Game Database & You - Small little tutorial I guess you would call it.

#401 Access_Denied

Access_Denied

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:21 AM

Do not have my CPA license.

A friend of mine who graduated last year got a job as an accountant without a CPA license as well. But I can say that the jobs are much easier to come by if you do have one. A lot of places want you to have it, and are willing to pay for you to get it. But in today's competitive market, somebody who already has a CPA is already a step above you.

I don't know a whole lot about accounting, as I'm a CS major, but I definitely learned that much from her job search.

#402 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:03 AM

My sister actually didn't pass her CPA for many years, and still was paid a ton.

elessar123.png

#403 Xevious

Xevious

Most Damned CAG Evar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:49 PM

I noticed that whole "calling a week after you submit your resume" idea is dead. Most large companies will have HR departments that will not return your calls.

Have you guys experienced this?

Damn you xevious...

Damn you Xevious... damn you to hell.....

Damn you Xevious be quiet.

So you know EBM? Damn you Xevious...

#404 Access_Denied

Access_Denied

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:21 PM

My sister actually didn't pass her CPA for many years, and still was paid a ton.

I'm sure she did, but that was obviously years ago. And even today, you'll still make good money. My point is that if an employer has two perfectly matched applicants except one is a CPA, the CPA is getting hired.

#405 AvengedBacklog

AvengedBacklog

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:28 PM

Yeah. The time it'll take depends upon the job market in your area but he found some relatively quick.

Yep, same here. Be prepared for the work to not be direct accounting but you'll work on projects for the accounting departments and that's a great way to network at a company.

#406 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:29 PM

I'm sure she did, but that was obviously years ago. And even today, you'll still make good money. My point is that if an employer has two perfectly matched applicants except one is a CPA, the CPA is getting hired.

She actually graduated during the dot-com bust, so it wasn't all happy then.

elessar123.png

#407 Dead of Knight

Dead of Knight

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:30 AM

Yeah, things were different back then. Now the Big Four and even smaller firms are now very picky about new hires getting CPAs. Used to be in the Big Four you could advance to Senior without having a CPA and they were very lax about it, now you can't be promoted without one and give you big bonuses for passing early. Considering how shit the job market is now, it's a huge advantage to have one.
RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

#408 Dead of Knight

Dead of Knight

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:36 AM

Do not have my CPA license. The way I understood it most (all?) entry-level accountants do not yet have their CPA credentials. I do know none of my classmates who were able to find work with firms had their CPAs prior to starting.

On another note. I now need 150 semester hours to qualify as a CPA and only have 125 right now. The increase occurred several months after graduation. Would it be a waste to go back for an additional 25 credits and try to intern again if all else fails?

You can't get your CPA without having work experience or a degree anyway so of course none of your classmates would have it before getting jobs. But passing the exam as early as possible even if you don't have the experience yet shows motivation to employers and that you will be licensed once you get the experience. I had passed 2 of the 4 sections prior to starting my first job after college and had passed the rest less than 2 months into my job. I needed a year of experience (internship experience IS generally included in this requirement) to get licensed but the employers LOVED that I passed the exam so quickly. You need the degree and hours to take the exam, but you don't need the experience. Though of course requirements vary greatly state by state.

I would look for work while you go back for credit hours. Figure out exactly which classes you need to get the hours first. I had more than enough business and accounting hours and ended up taking completely unrelated electives to get the hours I needed. Many colleges, including community colleges, offer CPA prep courses for college credit. Check into this. You can combine studying and getting those hours in all at once.
RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

#409 kodave

kodave

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:39 AM

I noticed that whole "calling a week after you submit your resume" idea is dead. Most large companies will have HR departments that will not return your calls.

Have you guys experienced this?

It's been dead for at least several years if not longer. There's a reason almost all applications/listings for every kind of job imaginable say "Do not call about your application - we will contact you."

If the business/company/organization is big enough to have an HR department, everything is going to be filtered through there first. So right off the bat, HR doesn't give a shit about you or your application. They possibly received hundreds and they will get to them and through them at their own pace before the next stage of the process. And if there is no HR department involved, it's then someone who has a full time job in charge of hiring someone else, so calling them to bother them about your application is a waste of their time. And I say that in reference to calling to "show interest" or whatever you think you're doing to get ahead (because you think everyone else hasn't already been given the same advice about "showing interest"). If there is a legitimate concern or issue with your application or resume, then of course you need to call.

The key is networking so you have more leeway or have inside connections or knowledge. That way when you submit an application or resume you don't have to call them and say "Gee golly I'm still interested in this job I applied for a week ago!" to get ahead. You'll have your inside contacts or whatever or someone will mention you or recommend you ahead of time so you know you're already on the fast track.

But I've read advice from others that have seriously suggested calling before applying and telling a secretary or receptionist to be on the look out for your application, call again to confirm the application was received, then call again shortly thereafter to make sure they know you're interested in the job still. With the high number of applicants these days, if I was in charge of hiring someone, I would probably throw their application in the trash if they thought it necessary to waste my time and my staff's time like that. But that's just how I see it.

#410 Dokstarr

Dokstarr

Tap, Snap or Nap

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:05 PM

Got an offer for one of the companies I interviewed at. Process Engineering job with a 11k bump in base salary. I blasted off an email the the other place I interviewed at last week to just let them know to see if they are close to deciding.

I assume that I will be likely taking the job. I'm out of the country on vacay right now so I will check out the official paperwork this upcoming Friday.

#411 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:50 PM

It took a month to give me an interview for an internal application.
It's not even a change in position. Just a different shift and different hospital.
Management moves slooooowwwwww.

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#412 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:41 PM

I'd like to say my new job is going well but I really can't say. It's been two weeks and I've barely done anything. I'm getting worried because some of this stuff they support is fairly complicated, industry specific stuff, and if they don't train me more I'm not going to know how to do a lot of this stuff. I mean documentation is one thing, I can read that all day, but I'm not doing much of it.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#413 Dead of Knight

Dead of Knight

Posted 28 April 2013 - 03:46 PM

I've never really don't much of anything in my first two weeks at any job. :lol:
RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

#414 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2013 - 04:37 PM

Well they're going to have me answering random calls next week, and given what I've heard them deal with these last 2 weeks, I won't know much about any of this because it's specific to their business. They seem to have a kind of sink or swim attitude going on. I don't know, I'm just getting kind of anxious because I don't feel like I'm prepared.

#415 2DMention

2DMention

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:55 PM

Well, I didn't make it past my probationary period at Target. They let me go today and paid me what they owed me. I didn't like the job anyway, it paid very little, and they hardly gave me any hours.
Posted Image

#416 yourlefthand

yourlefthand

Daddy Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:22 PM

Well, I didn't make it past my probationary period at Target. They let me go today and paid me what they owed me. I didn't like the job anyway, it paid very little, and they hardly gave me any hours.

What went wrong?

#417 Invicta 61

Invicta 61

Gabagool, Provalone and vinegar peppers

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:52 PM

Probably spent all his time at work hanging out in electronics, playing the demo games. :D
Bah weep granah weep nini bong.

And now I present Kate Upton doing the Cat Daddy:

Spoiler

#418 Tony Stark

Tony Stark

Keep Calm Chive On

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:26 PM

Speak more of this "probationary period", I like to know about other corporations "lack of awesomeness" (not trying to rub it in)

Check my YouTube channel for exotic cars: https://www.youtube.com/user/DKGarage

#419 2DMention

2DMention

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:12 AM

What went wrong?

I worked in the back room and they said I didn't "pull" fast enough.

Whatever. I didn't like the job anyway, it started at 4am, paid close to minimum wage, and they didn't give me more than 2 days of hours a week. I'll find something better, I know I will.
Posted Image

#420 Cage017

Cage017

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:12 AM

... and now I am down to 21 hours a week at Target. It's pretty insulting when you don't get a lunch break yet you cover the lunch breaks for others. My "reward" for working there for nine years.

I don't know if it was this thread or somewhere else but someone said Best Buy likes to hire young staff. I'm thinking Target is becoming the same way as more and more of the older staff has been leaving and "young, fresh meat" is getting all the work hours.

I'm in the process of moving to Palm Beach so if things go well enough I can go back to college and use my degree to find something better.

gallery_474050_8161_3173.jpg

"Designed By Lilchiji"