Searching For A Job - Rant/Rave/Discuss Here

• Please log in to reply
531 replies to this topic

#481 GamerDude316

GamerDude316

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2013 - 04:03 PM

now that I've been out of college over a year, I'm starting to look at CPA courses here in NH.  Hopefully it wont be too difficult of a process to start.

Want to get in on a FREE HDTV or $440 cash?  Join the Conga Line fun right here through CAG! 

http://www.cheapassg...-in-on-the-fun/

#482 Dead of Knight

Dead of Knight

Posted 08 June 2013 - 05:47 PM

now that I've been out of college over a year, I'm starting to look at CPA courses here in NH.  Hopefully it wont be too difficult of a process to start.

If you are interested start the process NOW.  It is not difficult (other than the exams lol), but is painfully slow.  It took me over two months to get my notice to schedule.  I was done studying for one of the tests for over a month before I could take it.

RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

This is the greatest thing ever. Certainly in the OTT at least.

#483 GamerDude316

GamerDude316

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2013 - 08:51 PM

If you are interested start the process NOW.  It is not difficult (other than the exams lol), but is painfully slow.  It took me over two months to get my notice to schedule.  I was done studying for one of the tests for over a month before I could take it.

Wow, thats crazy.  Will have to start making calls this week. 

Want to get in on a FREE HDTV or $440 cash?  Join the Conga Line fun right here through CAG! 

#484 Xevious

Xevious

Most Damned CAG Evar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:16 PM

It looks like I got a job offer from the place I interviewed last week. The only problem is it is $2,000 less than originall stated (they claimed they had to restructure their budget). I do get full medical and pension but its pretty low money to begin with.

I was planning to buy house in NC; Im not sure what buying power I will have. It sucks.

But I will take the job. Its not like jobs are falling from the sky like rain. I've been job hunting for 9 months. This is my best prospect yet.

Damn you xevious...

Damn you Xevious... damn you to hell.....

Damn you Xevious be quiet.

So you know EBM? Damn you Xevious...

#485 Dead of Knight

Dead of Knight

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:49 PM

2k really isn't jack shit in the grand scheme of things.

RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

#486 Access_Denied

Access_Denied

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:20 PM

It's probably more one of those "straw that broke the camel's back" kind of thing. If we was already settling quite a bit, an extra 2 grand could mean a lot. I mean, I've been poor my whole life, so I watch money like a hawk, but 2 grand a year is $100 a month after taxes.

#487 Viva Las Vegas

Viva Las Vegas

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:40 PM

It is if your making $25,000 or less.

#488 Dead of Knight

Dead of Knight

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:00 AM

True, but I hope his job doesn't pay that little...  If he does, you're right.

RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

#489 Xevious

Xevious

Most Damned CAG Evar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 June 2013 - 02:25 PM

True, but I hope his job doesn't pay that little...  If he does, you're right.

My job pays a little more than that although It is several thousands of dollars less than my previous job (Short Story: I moved out of California because it was getting too expensive there).

Unfortunately I wasn't getting many interviews so I had no choice. Like everyone here before said, I must of sent out about 100 resumes and barely got anywhere. So I went and jumped on this job. The people seemed nice though and I think I will like this job.

But I think this whole system of applying online is broken. This is no way to get a job. You have to network. Since I barely know anyone here in this area, the odds are stacked against me. So I guess I'm lucky if you consider the circumstances.

It's interesting to note that I've been a long time CAG (Maybe 9 years) and in the early freewheeling days I would never thought I would see job threads here. But now I noticed a few popping up here and there. I guess that is the sign of the times.

Damn you xevious...

#490 Dead of Knight

Dead of Knight

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:26 PM

Starting to look around at what's available.  My boss is driving me crazy... I have serious loyalty to the organization due to my coworkers and its mission, but it seems like my boss is undergoing a midlife crisis and is driving me completely crazy.  It's starting to get to my coworkers too, who have been here for many years longer than I have.  It's really weird because up until a couple months ago she was pretty great to work for.

RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

#491 Mana Knight

Mana Knight

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:37 PM

Well, I might as well tell my story.  I was working as an Electrical Engineer at a job for 10 months, but got an email to speak to our director/management the next day.  I figured I was being laid off (even if I feared worse), and that ended up being the case.  I wish I knew to expect it sooner (the job has been shaky ever since I started), but it ended up happening.  I was not too upset to lose the job because I constantly get calls about job opportunities w/o applying, and the job I had was really freaking stressful/annoying.  There's a lot about it I just cannot talk about publically, but lets just say I'm like an entry level Engineer being put to do more mid/Senior level tasks w/o any assistance.  You cannot look online for anything (they never gave me the accesses I needed to in the lab, so I had to drive 20 minutes to our office just to research anything) and there was only one person I could go to for any help (who was working in NJ 3 hours away, and he was on a different program).  If he didn't know the answer (because he can only know so much), I was really screwed.  I was in a position that many others failed and I ended up being another one.  With my performance looking kind of bad (based on the position I was in), I was one of the first to be let go when they needed to cut back (and there was not a lot of work for me to do).  It sucks because that and my last job were horrible, but in different ways.

After I got laid off, I contacted several people about it, such as the ones at my old Maryland job.  I found out that my old position (even if a step downward) is hiring and has been trying to hire people back.  I contacted HR/people I knew that I was interested in coming back, they put me through the process and gave me an offer (no interview).  Bad news is that because I left, my pay is being reset back to where I started initially and have to be stuck on a crap shift (it's all that was left).  But I figure as long as I come back and put time in again, everything will work out back to how they use to be.  I miss all my old co-workers and it was by far the best place I ever worked.  Turns out that trying to advance my career never worked out unfortunately.  I feel kind of bad because there's nothing else I've been able to do but wait.  As long as the background check is fine, I'll be starting in mid-July.  Now I gotta decide what to do in the meantime, lol.

Posted Image

#492 Xevious

Xevious

Most Damned CAG Evar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:11 AM

Well, I might as well tell my story.  I was working as an Electrical Engineer at a job for 10 months, but got an email to speak to our director/management the next day.  I figured I was being laid off (even if I feared worse), and that ended up being the case.  I wish I knew to expect it sooner (the job has been shaky ever since I started), but it ended up happening.  I was not too upset to lose the job because I constantly get calls about job opportunities w/o applying, and the job I had was really freaking stressful/annoying.  There's a lot about it I just cannot talk about publically, but lets just say I'm like an entry level Engineer being put to do more mid/Senior level tasks w/o any assistance.  You cannot look online for anything (they never gave me the accesses I needed to in the lab, so I had to drive 20 minutes to our office just to research anything) and there was only one person I could go to for any help (who was working in NJ 3 hours away, and he was on a different program).  If he didn't know the answer (because he can only know so much), I was really screwed.  I was in a position that many others failed and I ended up being another one.  With my performance looking kind of bad (based on the position I was in), I was one of the first to be let go when they needed to cut back (and there was not a lot of work for me to do).  It sucks because that and my last job were horrible, but in different ways.

After I got laid off, I contacted several people about it, such as the ones at my old Maryland job.  I found out that my old position (even if a step downward) is hiring and has been trying to hire people back.  I contacted HR/people I knew that I was interested in coming back, they put me through the process and gave me an offer (no interview).  Bad news is that because I left, my pay is being reset back to where I started initially and have to be stuck on a crap shift (it's all that was left).  But I figure as long as I come back and put time in again, everything will work out back to how they use to be.  I miss all my old co-workers and it was by far the best place I ever worked.  Turns out that trying to advance my career never worked out unfortunately.  I feel kind of bad because there's nothing else I've been able to do but wait.  As long as the background check is fine, I'll be starting in mid-July.  Now I gotta decide what to do in the meantime, lol.

Sorry to hear that. Life is unfair. I hope there are other oportunities in your future.

Damn you xevious...

#493 HumanSnatcher

HumanSnatcher

Disappear here...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:57 AM

I've just recently started looking for a job myself after not working for nearly 9 years.  Long story.  Tho luckily, today, I got a call from Best Buy and went thru a short phone interview and have an interview lined up for Sat at 11am.  Even tho its part time in the PC & tablet dept, its a start.  I could sell the hell out of 75% of that store really with my technical knowledge and background anyhow

When I was in High School a friend got a 100% on a D.A.R.E. test and they gave him a D.A.R.E. duffel bag. Two years later, a drug dealer that was a friend of ours at the time asked to borrow something to transport 2kg of cocaine in and he handed over his D.A.R.E. bag. He brought it back to him with an oz of weed in it as a thank you.

#494 GamerDude316

GamerDude316

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:44 AM

Yeah, sorry to hear that Mana.  Hopefully some good opportunities arise back at your old company to allow for advancement.

I'm slowly looking around at what else is out there for accounting work but not much that I both qualify for and doesnt require me to move out of my area.  Also looking into going for my CPA but trying to validate that I have the right pre reqs with the state has been a pain so far.

#495 HumanSnatcher

HumanSnatcher

Disappear here...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:02 AM

Well, my interview at Best Buy went great and the interviewer loved my answers.  I just have to wait till Tues for the GM to call me back for the final interview.  I really hope I get this job and at a decent wage

When I was in High School a friend got a 100% on a D.A.R.E. test and they gave him a D.A.R.E. duffel bag. Two years later, a drug dealer that was a friend of ours at the time asked to borrow something to transport 2kg of cocaine in and he handed over his D.A.R.E. bag. He brought it back to him with an oz of weed in it as a thank you.

#496 xXI SPECTER IXx

xXI SPECTER IXx

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:55 PM

Fellow CAG's,

I wish you the best for those who are surviving and trying to earn a job. I am in the same boat, but just taking it one day at a time. 

"Jobs don't fall out of the sky!" like a CAG said, but it is all about perseverance. Just keep trying.

Specter

#497 aShufflinZombie

aShufflinZombie

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:43 PM

Does anyone have any stories about working at acme markets? I applied there yesterday because I want something to do.

It wasn't my first choice but because I'm 15 with no prior work related experience it's my best shot.

#498 HumanSnatcher

HumanSnatcher

Disappear here...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:14 AM

Does anyone have any stories about working at acme markets? I applied there yesterday because I want something to do.

It wasn't my first choice but because I'm 15 with no prior work related experience it's my best shot.

At 15, you may have to get your parents to sign a work permit for you.  But that may also depend on your area.  I know in VA, to work at 15 you need a work permit.  Also, some places require you to be at least 16 on general principle.  It never hurts to ask a manager or call before you request an application/apply online.  If none of those apply to you, I certainly wish ya best of luck.

#499 GamerDude316

GamerDude316

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:10 AM

yeah, I believe that varies by state.  In my state (NH) I know the earliest I could work was 16.

My girlfriend hears back about a position today, and tomorrow we tour an apartment we're looking at in the area.

#500 aShufflinZombie

aShufflinZombie

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:57 PM

^Yeah I managed to get my working papers already. In PA, it's 14 but until recently, you needed about ~8 signatures to get the papers. Thanks for the luck! 

The online application for acme had a section for people under 18 just asking about you age and somewhere in there it said that you had to be at least 14.

#501 berzirk

berzirk

I'm not so serious

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:49 PM

Don't know if this is even remotely the right forum, but the company I work for is looking for Electrical Engineers, Software QA Leads, 3D artists, and a few other positions as needed. The company is in Oregon. I've been here for almost 7 yrs and dig it. Lots of interaction with the videogame industry, entertainment. Basically we make motion capture systems.

If you're interested or have questions, feel free to PM me and I'll send you the job postings.

#502 GamerDude316

GamerDude316

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:02 PM

An accounting job at my company was posted yesterday afternoon. I talked to a couple people in the department and the position will definitely be more of a challenge than my current role, but also a pay raise and good experience for the future. I've been in my current role about 8 months, is that too soon for an internal move?

#503 2DMention

2DMention

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:34 AM

Well, I start at Goodwill as a paid employee doing an assessment of my skills on Tues. What's this I've heard they can get away with paying sub-minimum wage to disabled workers due to a depression era loophole.

Posted Image

#504 EnvyNeko

EnvyNeko

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:08 PM

It's a little nice to know that I'm not the only one in this boat. I've been trying to get an internship in IT for a while now and haven't had anything pan out.  It's so disheartening to put all that effort in to get nothing in return.

At the very least I have a job but it doesn't help me out in the slightest as far as my goals are concerned.  I have an Associate's in Microcomputer Science and Networking but nothing for experience.  The school I went to touted that they help students get placed in jobs but did nothing for me except for a small gig doing a website for a realtor who paid in cash -__-

I have a profile on LinkedIn but I haven't done much with it so I'm thinking of going through there and spending more time looking up stuff.  I'm just not sure what companies I should follow for something like Networking.  Any ideas?

My Trade list! Mostly just swag though!

http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=331829

Or check out my shop for ds cases/manuals and other video game goodies! New items on the way!

http://envyneko.ecrater.com/

#505 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:17 PM

It's a little nice to know that I'm not the only one in this boat. I've been trying to get an internship in IT for a while now and haven't had anything pan out.  It's so disheartening to put all that effort in to get nothing in return.

At the very least I have a job but it doesn't help me out in the slightest as far as my goals are concerned.  I have an Associate's in Microcomputer Science and Networking but nothing for experience.  The school I went to touted that they help students get placed in jobs but did nothing for me except for a small gig doing a website for a realtor who paid in cash -__-

I have a profile on LinkedIn but I haven't done much with it so I'm thinking of going through there and spending more time looking up stuff.  I'm just not sure what companies I should follow for something like Networking.  Any ideas?

Forget the internships for now and get some certs. A+, CCNA, and Sec+. People say A+ is worthless, but I think it shows the prospective employer that you're not looking to take any short cuts and as well as being well versed on the very basics that can help with day-to-day tasks if need be.

Not getting my CCENT before I got my current job is a big regret of mine because all that knowledge was fresh in my head. Now I have to basically study from scratch again.:D

dohdough.png

"Speaking of which, there's another elitist prick that argues constantly on the Politics forums by the name of dohdough. He's a complete douche, but at least he keeps his posts in that cesspool of useless opinions. He gets my runner-up nomination."

Thanks for the nomination for the Most Memorable CAG Villan 2012, Blade!

#506 yourlefthand

yourlefthand

Daddy Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 July 2013 - 01:42 AM

Forget the internships for now and get some certs. A+, CCNA, and Sec+. People say A+ is worthless, but I think it shows the prospective employer that you're not looking to take any short cuts and as well as being well versed on the very basics that can help with day-to-day tasks if need be.

Not getting my CCENT before I got my current job is a big regret of mine because all that knowledge was fresh in my head. Now I have to basically study from scratch again.:D

Getting some basic certain would be a good idea. I'd think about looking at the lpic Linux cert also.

The advantage to most of the ones mentioned so far is they aren't crazy expensive.

#507 JitteryBrah

JitteryBrah

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:55 AM

Do you guys think an Associate in Accounting counts for anything these days?  I live in Georgia btw.

#508 Dead of Knight

Dead of Knight

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:16 PM

Do you guys think an Associate in Accounting counts for anything these days?  I live in Georgia btw.

Nope, need at least a bachelor's and to be able to safely get a job, a CPA or working towards it.

RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

#509 Cage017

Cage017

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:47 PM

So remember when I said I have more fun working with vendors?  Well I found out from one of them that there was an opening for a position that covers a territory in Northern Broward and it's basically the same job that he is in. I expressed interest and gave him my contact information.

Fast forward two weeks later and the rep comes in along with his district manager to see how I interact with them and go about getting their products to the floor. Before leaving, he gave me his business card and offered me to call him with any questions.

The card doesn't mention his available hours but it does contain an e-mail address. Would it be dumb of me to e-mail him instead of randomly calling him?  I've never had an experience like this before.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Posted Image

#510 Zoglog

Zoglog

Blogging = AIDS

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:56 AM

Remember to keep that linked in profile up to date. Lots of headhunters go through those. I've gotten a few offers but all in New York. Don't feel like moving across the coast since I bought a house in LA.