Searching For A Job - Rant/Rave/Discuss Here

• Please log in to reply
550 replies to this topic

#541 RedvsBlue

RedvsBlue

Rocket Science Level

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 July 2014 - 01:25 PM

Good advice. The legal job market is awful right now but you seem to be making the best of the situation. Have you considered looking for a judicial clerkship?

Applied for a few but no bites. They're just as competitive, if not more competitive, than firm jobs. Everything is hard to get into with the legal market right now.

#542 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 July 2014 - 01:32 PM

I want to go for a Finance MBA and work in the accounting field directly at some point so it would be a good stepping stone for that. You are right though, the more work days is a big bummer.

The best way to get ahead that I've found is to leave.

Ees7Y.jpg

I'm 100% shocked that books still exist in today's day and age. I thought they'd be out by now. They make up like 1% of today's entertainment and unless you're 60 or older, stray away from books and start emersing yourself with real entertainment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Codes for Free / Codes for Trade

#543 kill3r7

kill3r7

MiNd ThE GaP

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 July 2014 - 01:40 PM

Applied for a few but no bites. They're just as competitive, if not more competitive, than firm jobs. Everything is hard to get into with the legal market right now.

I hear you. I was in your shoes back in 2010. It's par for the course in this profession. Keep at it, I'm sure you'll find something. 

Xecutioner
CML

#544 yourlefthand

yourlefthand

Daddy Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 July 2014 - 01:45 PM

I want to go for a Finance MBA and work in the accounting field directly at some point so it would be a good stepping stone for that. You are right though, the more work days is a big bummer.

Ask if they will let you keep your vacation time.

#545 mask-air-raid

mask-air-raid

Mr. Encyclopedia of Soda

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 July 2014 - 04:18 PM

It might help if we knew what field you're planning on entering.

Personally, I graduated from law school about a year ago and still don't have any solid prospects so I started volunteering with legal aid back in February. I'm carrying a case load of about 10 clients and while I'm putting in about 25-30 hours a week I'm not getting paid for I am building up my resume with actual law practice experience.

I think using a volunteer job to build up your resume is a great idea though and while it hasn't quite led to a paying job for me yet I'm getting experience that should put me ahead of other job seekers.

Thanks. Basically, there is a revolving door with sales back home. Last year was the best year for entering, but people with jobs get jobs.

For stuff under my major, I can do better than most, but dumb people have higher GPA than me.

So I need anything general.

Swag Bucks referral: http://swagbucks.com/refer/newmask

GiftHulk  invite code:RD172480

ShopKick: http://get.shopkick.com/barium13444

Gets you GC and PayPal cash. Over 0 CAGs referred!

Send me a PM if you use my links so I know who you are.

#546 Zoglog

Zoglog

Blogging = AIDS

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 July 2014 - 01:12 AM

I'd research it a bit first before thinking it is a good idea. Go to someplace like gaijinpot, there are lots of English teachers over there. From what I understand the field is pretty glutted thus leading to very few jobs, and many that do pay very very low pay and treat the teachers pretty poorly.

I do kind of know a girl who did it and liked it, but she was rich so she didn't have to worry about the whole money thing.

Yes ELT is not the best job to have in Japan. Pay is not high. I think JET gives you about 40k a year, and it's tax free plus you don't have to pay for housing. It's pretty good for the time period. I think it's pretty impressive he got in despite being 30+ years old.

But what you do after it is always up as a ?

I had a friend that did JET for many years after college and came back. Job hunting was not the easiest thing.

#547 FlyingAce39

FlyingAce39

Flyin' High Again

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 July 2014 - 06:11 PM

I'm hunting for just about anything here in Atlanta. I quit my part-time warehouse job of 4 months. I was promised to be brought on full-time at $12-$13 an hour within one month, but I ground it out for 4 months at $10 an hour. 30 hours a week. Not bad money, except I have to drive an hour there and an hour back. And my old '92 Chevy S10 isn't exactly the most fuel-efficient truck. Got tired of being kicked around like an old soccer ball, so I quit in hopes to find something closer to home. I've got enough to cover my expenses for a few months, but I still need something more stable and something that pays better. I'm tired of living at home.

660090.png 660091.png

#548 JaytheGamefan

JaytheGamefan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 July 2014 - 08:01 AM

I've been trying to find steady work for a while, and finally got accepted by Apple's work at home advisor program. I've passed two interviews so far and after the third, I'll be approved for training in August.

http://www.apple.com/jobs/us/aha.html

#549 AvengedBacklog

AvengedBacklog

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 July 2014 - 03:26 PM

Ask if they will let you keep your vacation time.

I did just that and they said they should be able to add an extra couple days.  Plus I get to convert all my current time (salary gets all time off up front while hourly accrues it) so I start off with a good bank built up.  Officially accepted yesterday and sign the papers next week!

Want to get in on a FREE HDTV or $440 cash?  Join the Conga Line fun right here through CAG! 

http://www.cheapassg...-in-on-the-fun/

#550 yourlefthand

yourlefthand

Daddy Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 July 2014 - 06:08 PM

I did just that and they said they should be able to add an extra couple days. Plus I get to convert all my current time (salary gets all time off up front while hourly accrues it) so I start off with a good bank built up. Officially accepted yesterday and sign the papers next week!

Sweet!

#551 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 July 2014 - 09:27 PM

I did just that and they said they should be able to add an extra couple days. Plus I get to convert all my current time (salary gets all time off up front while hourly accrues it) so I start off with a good bank built up. Officially accepted yesterday and sign the papers next week!

Congrats. Make sure they state the vacation days in the letter or in an email. "We should be able to" can quickly turn into no additional days.

Ees7Y.jpg

I'm 100% shocked that books still exist in today's day and age. I thought they'd be out by now. They make up like 1% of today's entertainment and unless you're 60 or older, stray away from books and start emersing yourself with real entertainment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Codes for Free / Codes for Trade