Searching For A Job - Rant/Rave/Discuss Here

Malik112099

CAGiversary!
Feedback
13 (100%)
I am once again on the job hunt. I know this has been discussed before but all I could find are old threads. I also feel a lot has changed in the job market the last few years. With minimum requirements for basic jobs starting to skyrocket I can understand the pressures causing people to just stay where they already are.

I don't want to stay where I am and have started the search (about 2 months in now). It is amazing how slow the process is and how incredibly hard it is to even get a call or interview. It is also discouraging to have to re-input all of your résumé info on each different company's website even though they have you upload it too.

That old saying "Its not what you know, it's who you know" seems to be ringing more and more true every day. Because of all this I thought I would start this thread for those of us searching for new careers/opportunities who seem to be facing an uphill battle. Please share your stories/tips/rants/raves/successes here and get a healthy place to discuss and vent about our situations.

Where I'm at:

2 months of solid looking/applying without a single call back. Actually had 1 phone interview scheduled and they never called. Revamped my résumé twice already due to paranoia. My resume is currently 2 pages long and I keep going back and forth about if I should cram it all into one page (thoughts?). My background is in aviation but I am currently employed by a company in a different industry. I thought the change would be good but I'm afraid I was wrong. So here I am looking to get back into what I know.

I left my last job of over 5 years back in September. I was tired of being a contract worker in danger of losing my job every 6 months (even though the job isn't going anywhere, it's the state, so lots of bullshit hoops to jump through). I'm now at a different state agency, thanks to a friend's reference (she knows the guy that hired me), but in totally over my head. I've only been here about 5 months, but the stress of not knowing what I'm doing is really getting to me, to the point that I'm ready to start looking again.

I had that "in over my head" feeling at my last job. Really sucks. I found a few people I could confide in and soon realized most of my coworkers had the same feeling. Made me feel better till I got traction and started really understanding what I was supposed to be doing.

What field were you in OP?

I find that I honestly can't find enough people to recommend/employee. There is a worker shortage in computer programming/computer science.

Get on LinkedIn with a full profile if you haven't already. My husband and I BOTH got our current jobs from recruiters directly contacting us on LinkedIn.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Get on LinkedIn with a full profile if you haven't already. My husband and I BOTH got our current jobs from recruiters directly contacting us on LinkedIn.[/QUOTE]

I'm on LinkedIn with a full profile. I've been contacted by a few recruiters but no bites yet.

[quote name='mtxbass1']What field were you in OP?

I find that I honestly can't find enough people to recommend/employee. There is a worker shortage in computer programming/computer science.[/QUOTE]

My background is aviation/aerospace. I have a bachelors and 3 associates in aviation and I also have my A&P certificate. I spent 10 years in the Air Force and another 3 and a half with a major airline.

A few years ago I would have suggested actually going to the companies you wished to work at and hand off your resume in person and/or request an informational interview. However, my experience has shown me that this will annoy most medium to large companies. They will ask you to leave if you ask twice.

[quote name='Spokker']A few years ago I would have suggested actually going to the companies you wished to work at and hand off your resume in person and/or request an informational interview. However, my experience has shown me that this will annoy most medium to large companies. They will ask you to leave if you ask twice.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, most companies at job fairs these days won't even take a resume. They just tell you to go to the website and apply there. Shit like that makes me wonder why they are even at an event like that. Just put up a poster with the web address on it.

My wife has been looking for a while now and she just finished her 2nd Masters (Has her MBA and Masters in HR) and can't find ANYTHING. shes been to a few interviews,m but looses out to other with more experience. She's on LinkedIn and has had a few bites, but still nothing. Its gotten to the point where finances have become such an issue that we are splitting up (her choice.. not mine, but that's another rant entirely)

[quote name='OnyxPrimal']My wife has been looking for a while now and she just finished her 2nd Masters (Has her MBA and Masters in HR) and can't find ANYTHING. shes been to a few interviews,m but looses out to other with more experience. She's on LinkedIn and has had a few bites, but still nothing. Its gotten to the point where finances have become such an issue that we are splitting up (her choice.. not mine, but that's another rant entirely)[/QUOTE]

Sorry to hear that. It amazes me that as much as they say the economy is bouncing back and with all these jobs posted (there are a ton) that people still have trouble finding decent work at their skill/education level. It seems like the companies are all being super picky and know they can hold out for someone for bottom dollar and high skill set. I was reading an article the other day about how the Bachelor's degree is the new highschool diploma. Scary that entry level/low wage jobs require a 4 year degree just to get your foot in the door.

I'm debating whether or not to get a second undergrad in a more marketable field (computer science) versus pursuing secondary in a field I know isn't very marketable. :/

[quote name='OnyxPrimal']My wife has been looking for a while now and she just finished her 2nd Masters (Has her MBA and Masters in HR) and can't find ANYTHING. shes been to a few interviews,m but looses out to other with more experience. She's on LinkedIn and has had a few bites, but still nothing. Its gotten to the point where finances have become such an issue that we are splitting up (her choice.. not mine, but that's another rant entirely)[/QUOTE]

HR? lol. I know HR people that can't even read a spreadsheet while I did them in highschiool in 1994. MBA is only good with lots of work experience in the right field or from a top 10 program, same as law degree I suppose.

Tell her to travel back in time and do an engineering degree instead.

To the original poster have you checked USA Jobs for federal jobs? With a military background you'll get a leg up on non-vets applying for the same position.

[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']To the original poster have you checked USA Jobs for federal jobs? With a military background you'll get a leg up on non-vets applying for the same position.[/QUOTE]

If you go that route, you need to apply to all that you can and hope the sequester doesn't effect the job offer. I know for a fact that because of the sequester agencies have been in a rush to put in the job reqs ASAP before they are effected by the sequester so that making a job req isn't locked out. Once the sequester and cuts take effect, no one has planned for anything yet, the job/offer may not be available.

Cousin is looking and she tells me lots of private entry level positions are being switched to unpaid internships. There a few paid internships in the government but you have to be in the know as the recruitment windows are limited to a week or by # number of applicants, which ever is sooner. And thus job window applications are up for like 1 day only for paid internships.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Get on LinkedIn with a full profile if you haven't already. My husband and I BOTH got our current jobs from recruiters directly contacting us on LinkedIn.[/QUOTE]

Did you post your picture?

[quote name='Malik112099']I'm on LinkedIn with a full profile. I've been contacted by a few recruiters but no bites yet.
[/QUOTE]

Take a look at their jobs board and apply to ones that look interesting. I've found that the interview ratio is much higher for when I apply directly to jobs posted on LinkedIn vs. on a company site.

[quote name='Malik112099']I'm on LinkedIn with a full profile. I've been contacted by a few recruiters but no bites yet.

My background is aviation/aerospace. I have a bachelors and 3 associates in aviation and I also have my A&P certificate. I spent 10 years in the Air Force and another 3 and a half with a major airline.[/QUOTE]

Maybe you should move out of OK, it may better serve your career choice. I have an uncle that works for Lockheed, that's pretty much all I know, he can't talk much about his work.

I am looking outside of OK. I'm looking mostly in OK and TX but am open to anywhere for the right position/pay/benefits/etc. I've used USAJobs before and still do. That site is set up so that you aren't even sure if you've even applied to the damn job yet.

Here's that article about entry level jobs for bachelor degrees.

Link

Linkedin is great. I only get responses from regional and small companies when I apply from linkedin. For big companies, I go directly to their websites.

And I would totally go for the computer science degree. I'm planning to go for an accelerated computer engineering masters program myself. I went to business school since my family wanted me to go into finance. Interned at a hedge fund and didn't enjoy it at all...

I agree. Recruiters contact me ALL the time on my LinkedIn. I'm constantly getting calls for jobs, but I'm employed right now.

Just keep searching, something will come up. The process can be long or quick, just gotta keep trying and keep your chin up.

I sent my resume in for an Architecture job (I'm a licensed Architect) and was told that they got over 70 resumes for the position.

I'm trying for a few things outside of design.

The thing to remember is that a lot of the jobs that were lost are not coming back. Knocking on the door of an established, large company may not be the best route to a good paying job anymore. I think Tom Leykis has a lot of good things to say about entrepreneurship and supporting each other's businesses.

Though I believe as automation takes hold, a negative income tax will be required to sustain this way of life, but I never want it to come to that. I have read an argument about how companies and the workers who are laid off due to automation would still be better off under a similar scenario, but I cannot find the book at the moment.

I've been at it for a year and a half now, and aside from some short term temp jobs and a seasonal job, I've had no luck finding a job. I've gotten plenty of interviews, but there's just too many people looking.

[quote name='2DMention']I've been at it for a year and a half now, and aside from some short term temp jobs and a seasonal job, I've had no luck finding a job. I've gotten plenty of interviews, but there's just too many people looking.[/QUOTE]

That's the way I feel about it too. If I'm applying then how many others are as well? It's not like I found a diamond in the rough. Also tons of companies use 3rd parties for the initial stages of hiring so if you don't fit what they want to a T then you are tossed to the wayside. Hiring managers used to see everything and could review your credentials and possibly go with someone who didn't have the cookie cutter fit.

I heard through the grapevine that I am getting let go tomorrow. It's not 100% for sure but the new boss is cutting throats all around it seems. I will report back with my status.

I mentioned some of my situation in the OTT thread, but I'm glad this thread was created to talk a little more about it.

I'm in the process of leaving my job in retail after 9 years. I suppose it is my fault for believing in the excuses that have been thrown at me (too many to mention in one post). Years of loyalty to them (I've never called out sick and only called out to go to my dad's funeral) and I'm rewarded with a demotion - basically the same position when I first started and [now] with even less work hours. This means less pay to the point where I don't know if I can even afford health insurance. It's a real shame because there are actually parts of the job I actually like (the vendors are some of the nicest people I've met). It's as if they are offended by my happiness and they want to see me suffer as a result (one past manager even used the phrase "I would rather see you fail").

I have six credits until I get my associate's degree; however, I don't know if it's worth completing if I don't even know what to pursue. I have ideas, but knowing me I'll be like "Oh this is too hard" and give up from low self-esteem.

@Malik112099 Too bad you aren't in an IT field - I might have had a few leads for you. I work in Tulsa, OK for a rather large energy company that has quite a few openings right now, even a few on the team I'm on. Company should be hiring around 900 (100 or so in IT) this year but it's mostly natural gas, liquids and associated positions. I used to know a few people at Spirit Aerosystems in town but they have all moved on.

[quote name='Cage017']I mentioned some of my situation in the OTT thread, but I'm glad this thread was created to talk a little more about it.

I'm in the process of leaving my job in retail after 9 years. I suppose it is my fault for believing in the excuses that have been thrown at me (too many to mention in one post). Years of loyalty to them (I've never called out sick and only called out to go to my dad's funeral) and I'm rewarded with a demotion - basically the same position when I first started and [now] with even less work hours. This means less pay to the point where I don't know if I can even afford health insurance. It's a real shame because there are actually parts of the job I actually like (the vendors are some of the nicest people I've met). It's as if they are offended by my happiness and they want to see me suffer as a result (one past manager even used the phrase "I would rather see you fail").

I have six credits until I get my associate's degree; however, I don't know if it's worth completing if I don't even know what to pursue. I have ideas, but knowing me I'll be like "Oh this is too hard" and give up from low self-esteem.[/QUOTE]
6 credits as in 2 classes? Get that shit done, my friend! And yes, it's totally worth completing. AA's are pretty generalized anyways and should be a stepping stone to getting your bachelors unless you're in a trade program like medical imaging, nursing, or some IT stuff, so I wouldn't worry too much about the concentration.

Sorry to hear about your situation though. Usually when they start fucking you in hours, they're getting ready to get rid of you. Retail sucks that way. If they can you, hopefully you can get some unemployment, which would make it easier to finish up those last two classes and help with insurance if you need COBRA.

Good luck!

[quote name='Malik112099']I am looking outside of OK. I'm looking mostly in OK and TX but am open to anywhere for the right position/pay/benefits/etc. I've used USAJobs before and still do. That site is set up so that you aren't even sure if you've even applied to the damn job yet.

Here's that article about entry level jobs for bachelor degrees.

Link[/QUOTE]

Just follow all the ways to the end when applying, then when you go to your USA jobs account click on status and you should see everything is in.

[quote name='Lexicon']@Malik112099 Too bad you aren't in an IT field - I might have had a few leads for you. I work in Tulsa, OK for a rather large energy company that has quite a few openings right now, even a few on the team I'm on. Company should be hiring around 900 (100 or so in IT) this year but it's mostly natural gas, liquids and associated positions. I used to know a few people at Spirit Aerosystems in town but they have all moved on.[/QUOTE]

I can always switch! ;-)

I've actually been applying quite a bit to Chesapeake and OneOk. It seems that oil and gas is the place to be.

Here is my experience and thoughts.

LinkedIn is a good tool.

- Have a completely filled out profile and have a picture uploaded (doesn't have to be a professional one, just a relatively nice looking photo - no keg stands). Proof read it. The company you are applying to will check out your LinkedIn.

- If you apply to company and don't hear back look them up on LinkedIn. Most companies have a presence on there these days. If you don't hear back in a few weeks try to contact the HR rep through LinkedIn and tell them that you wanted to touch base and explain why you think you are a strong candidate for the position (the requirements, your experience, etc.). This is how I got my current engineering position. I contacted HR stating that I haven't heard back, but I thought that I was a good candidate with my experience, etc. They got back to me a few days later, gave me an interview and offered me a job (there about 2.5 years now)

- Connect and try to talk to some recruiters on there

- Join relevant LinkedIn groups. That way recruiters can find you.

- I don't have any experience with this, but some people told me that getting endorsement and references on LinkedIn is a good thing to have these days

I did not have any good experience with informational interviews. Companies don't want to deal with it. The company knows, and I know, that it is just a scam to get me in the door and try to let them see my face and hopefully find a job.

Cover Letter

- I don't know how much HR will actually read the cover letter, but I always personalize it for the job. I use a basic format and then change around the middle describing why I am a good fit referencing some experience from school, internships or other jobs.

- Many jobs don't want to pay for relocation. If you are applying to somewhere far away and can finance your own move maybe state that in your cover letter that you are open for relocation but would not require assistance (since most companies seem to give 3000 - 5000 for it)

Recruiters

- Recruiters are a very important part of the job process now. Many companies just give out there openings to recruiters who get paid a percent of your salary for filling the position. I got many interviews through recruiters and one offer (Didn't take because by the time they got back to me I had already accepted my current job). Try to get into contact with some recruiters in your field (you said aerospace/aviation so I guess try to find technical recruiters) and open a dialog and see if they have anything that you would be a good fit for. Even if they don't now, they will keep your name and try to find something later for you. It is worth it for them because the company pays them when the fill the job.

Well that is about all I can think of right now. I'm looking for another job myself right now too. Just started the process about a month ago and so far had one phone interview and then a Skype interview. I've also been working with two recruiters for a few positions, but nothing has panned out as of yet. It is a very slow process, but I'd like to maybe have something going on early summer.

Edit: Just got a message wanting to set up an interview in two weeks for one the places I was work with a recruiter for.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Malik112099']It's official. I got canned.[/QUOTE]

Sorry to hear that.

You were unhappy where you were at and now you will have time to look for a job. Looking for a job is like a part time job in itself. You could easily spend 3 or 4 hours a day looking, talking to recruiters, filling out applications.

Did you get any type of severance package? I don't know your living situation, but hopefully unemployment will allow you a decent lifestyle as you look for a new job.

Well, I've been looking for an electrical engineering internship in the Cleveland area forever. I have a pretty strong GPA, probably top 4-5 in my class and have sent over 80 resumes out over the past three years that resulted for a total of one interview. I don't understand it as many other people in my class have already secured intern positions. I'm really hoping I can find one for this summer as it will be the last summer before I'm finished and I don't want to graduate jobless with no experience.

[quote name='Dokstarr']Sorry to hear that.

You were unhappy where you were at and now you will have time to look for a job. Looking for a job is like a part time job in itself. You could easily spend 3 or 4 hours a day looking, talking to recruiters, filling out applications.

Did you get any type of severance package? I don't know your living situation, but hopefully unemployment will allow you a decent lifestyle as you look for a new job.[/QUOTE]

No severance. I'm looking forward to dedicating more time to the job hunt. I will ok for a little while between unemployment and the decent sized tax return I'm getting back soon.

[quote name='Malik112099']No severance.[/QUOTE]A severance can come with an agreement that you will not apply for unemployment sometimes. Don't feel bad you were not offered one, in case you were.

[quote name='Spokker']A severance can come with an agreement that you will not apply for unemployment sometimes. Don't feel bad you were not offered one, in case you were.[/QUOTE]

I was laid off from American Airlines in August. Got severance and unemployment.

[quote name='Spokker']A few years ago I would have suggested actually going to the companies you wished to work at and hand off your resume in person and/or request an informational interview. However, my experience has shown me that this will annoy most medium to large companies. They will ask you to leave if you ask twice.[/QUOTE]

It is a bad idea even at a small company. If it asked you to submit it to HR and you didn't, you are going to be seen as someone who is not able to follow direction.

[quote name='wwe101']Well, I've been looking for an electrical engineering internship in the Cleveland area[/QUOTE]

Well there's your problem. Be willing to relocate for a summer/semester to do the internship.

[quote name='wwe101']Well, I've been looking for an electrical engineering internship in the Cleveland area forever. I have a pretty strong GPA, probably top 4-5 in my class and have sent over 80 resumes out over the past three years that resulted for a total of one interview. I don't understand it as many other people in my class have already secured intern positions. I'm really hoping I can find one for this summer as it will be the last summer before I'm finished and I don't want to graduate jobless with no experience.[/QUOTE]

Does your school help you with finding one? My school was very hardcore on co-ops and we had to spend 18 months (or more) working full time by the time we graduated.

Most good engineering schools have companies that they are close with that generally take interns each year.

If you can't find anything through your school how about reaching out to your professors?

[quote name='Malik112099']I can always switch! ;-)

I've actually been applying quite a bit to Chesapeake and OneOk. It seems that oil and gas is the place to be.[/QUOTE]

That's funny, I work at the 2nd one.

[quote name='Lexicon']That's funny, I work at the 2nd one.[/QUOTE]

Does the application process take a while? I've had active application listed on a few of mine for quite a while.

[quote name='Malik112099']Does the application process take a while? I've had active application listed on a few of mine for quite a while.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it generally takes awhile. Can't speak to all the different groups within the company but if they call you in for an interview it usually will take awhile after that before you hear something concrete as well.

Couple friends back home have told me Anadarko and Chevron are hiring in the Houston area. Will make a profile on their sites and start applying.

Last edited by a moderator:
i've got an interview this thursday. i'm really hoping i get the job. right now i'm in graduate school and have about 1.5 semesters to go, but my desire to finish is non-existent.

bread's done
Back