Searching For A Job - Rant/Rave/Discuss Here

• Please log in to reply
576 replies to this topic

#61 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:50 PM

Too bad you're not in my hood. No one really gives a shit about certs up here. A BS and experience is all I see in the listings for what you're looking for.

There is the experience too. a lot of what I see for even entry level stuff will say 2-3 years of experience and maybe a cert or two. Once people start demanding that for entry level stuff, you're pretty much screwed already.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#62 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:11 PM

I can't believe people still ask "where do you see yourself in 5 years"?

#63 Malik112099

Malik112099

Got Wife?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:03 AM

Yeah. Just weird questions all around. Don't like them. Feel like if I say working here blah blah blah then they will think I'm too forward but if I say some generic shit then they wont like that either.
Posted Image

#64 Ced

Ced

Monster Hustler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:53 AM

I find humor that the interview script my current employer has for internal applicants still has that question in there.

#65 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:53 AM

I'd love to know who comes up with those dumbass questions. At this point my answer would be something like "Right where I am unless the economy picks up soon."
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#66 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:56 AM

I usually answer with a specific skill I would like to develop but if I wanted to throw the interview I would simply say "off the meth"

#67 Kendro

Kendro

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:25 AM

It is a professional social network. You can find coworkers/recruiters/companies/etc on there to follow. There are status updates and posts (all business/industry related). When you follow a company you can see their updates and posted jobs and the same with following recruiters. The main thing to do is make sure you have a very complete profile. It is basically an online resume.

Is there any way for you to have your resume on there but only viewable to actual companies and not people? A colleague of mine had his bullet points on his resume swiped by another colleague from a previous job. Literally copied his stuff word for word. He only found out because apparently LinkedIn shows who viewed your profile and when he clicked on that person, he basically saw his resume on that guy's profile.

#68 Ag_SurfR

Ag_SurfR

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:25 AM

I am literally in the exact same boat as you are even including having an interview on thursday.

and you're from chicago?...this is getting creepy. are you me?

Auen1.png?7125

#69 MrNinjaSquirrel

MrNinjaSquirrel

Emo Blogger

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:46 AM

and you're from chicago?...this is getting creepy. are you me?

Maybe alternate universes are colliding :boxing: one of you will get the job, the other...:robot:

Hey, you look like you have a lot of money; how about donating some of it to my Extra Life drive?

#70 Malik112099

Malik112099

Got Wife?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:25 PM

Is there any way for you to have your resume on there but only viewable to actual companies and not people? A colleague of mine had his bullet points on his resume swiped by another colleague from a previous job. Literally copied his stuff word for word. He only found out because apparently LinkedIn shows who viewed your profile and when he clicked on that person, he basically saw his resume on that guy's profile.

Not that I know of. The whole point is to make professional contacts. You can have the profile be private I think but not letting someone see your profile that you are connected with makes no sense. I doubt that happens a lot and if it does then break that connection. Why don't you get on it already and just check it out?

#71 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:41 PM

I've never had any luck personally with LinkedIn. I've applied for some stuff through it, but never any reply.

#72 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:24 PM

It also seems hard finding someone for a position. We've had an evening and night shift Medical Technologist position open at work for about a month now. We've had maybe two interviews for both positions.
We've also had several people cancel their scheduled interviews (for whatever reason) as well.

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#73 Malik112099

Malik112099

Got Wife?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:06 PM

I'm debating on whether or not to upgrade to a Job Seeker Basic account on LinkedIn for a month. I figure it can't hurt and it's $20 I'd spend on junk otherwise. Doing some research into it right now.

EDIT: aaaand no. read a few articles. No reason to pay for a job seeker account.
Posted Image

#74 Malik112099

Malik112099

Got Wife?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:57 PM

Since I'm looking every day for hours a day I am running into a lot of jobs I've already seen. Any tips or tricks when it seems like you are looking at all the same jobs over again? Hidden gems you use to find more?
Posted Image

#75 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:21 PM

Since I'm looking every day for hours a day I am running into a lot of jobs I've already seen. Any tips or tricks when it seems like you are looking at all the same jobs over again? Hidden gems you use to find more?

Unless you're looking to relocate, there are only so many jobs you can apply for locally. You can try walking/driving around looking for names of companies to check their sites for listings, but even then, eventually you'll run dry and relatively quickly. Sometimes, you just have to wait and sit on your ass until new listings pop up.
dohdough.png

"Speaking of which, there's another elitist prick that argues constantly on the Politics forums by the name of dohdough. He's a complete douche, but at least he keeps his posts in that cesspool of useless opinions. He gets my runner-up nomination."

Thanks for the nomination for the Most Memorable CAG Villan 2012, Blade!

#76 Ag_SurfR

Ag_SurfR

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:31 PM

Maybe alternate universes are colliding :boxing: one of you will get the job, the other...:robot:

:pray:

please be me. please be me. please be me.

Auen1.png?7125

#77 Malik112099

Malik112099

Got Wife?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:31 PM

I got an email to set up a phone interview for a job I submitted to recently. Any little bite feels good at this point.

EDIT: Scheduled for tomorrow at 10:30am.

Edited by Malik112099, 07 March 2013 - 08:42 PM.

Posted Image

#78 Dar_k

Dar_k

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:49 PM

Malik. I have been following your posts for quite some time and wanted to write and wish you good luck.

#79 Malik112099

Malik112099

Got Wife?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:10 PM

Malik. I have been following your posts for quite some time and wanted to write and wish you good luck.

Thanks. I really appreciate it.

#80 Malik112099

Malik112099

Got Wife?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:11 PM

:pray:

please be me. please be me. please be me.

You want the job or you want to be the robot?

#81 Squall835

Squall835

Gamer without fear!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:32 PM

I got an email to set up a phone interview for a job I submitted to recently. Any little bite feels good at this point.

EDIT: Scheduled for tomorrow at 10:30am.

Good luck!

#82 Malik112099

Malik112099

Got Wife?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:15 PM

Good luck!

Thanks!

#83 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:53 AM

I actually got a call about some data center position yesterday, would be fucking perfect for me, I just hope I hear more about it. It was from this head hunter I've been talking with, and she's flaky as hell. Most of the time when I email or call her she never gets back with me. I called her early this morning and she never did call me back, probably won't either. Honestly the hardest part of looking for work is not getting discouraged, because it's extremely easy to.

Oh and on the subject of job sites, do not, I repeat do not make an open careerbuilder account. You can make one to apply to things with, but don't make it viewable to just anyone. As soon as I did that I started getting calls from places wanting to hire me to do sales. Last one was shady as hell, lady led me on about who they were and what they were looking for. Looked them up and it was some insurance company, what little info they had on their careers section was about sales and offered a number to call. That gets annoying as hell, aseptically when you tell them what field you're in and they just ignore it.

#84 Malik112099

Malik112099

Got Wife?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:07 AM

Yeah, I've had quite a few calls/emails about the wonderful world of insurance.

Not getting discouraged is HUGE. I started feeling a little panicky a while ago but that helps no one. I'll do some research on this company tomorrow morning, have a phoner and press on with the search. Caffeine is helping. A lot.

#85 Malik112099

Malik112099

Got Wife?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:37 PM

10:35 and no call yet. :-/ Ill give it till 10:45.

I have to go turn in an application at another place. Friend of a friend told me a guy there was expecting me. We'll see how that goes.

Anyone get nervous when they ask what your pay requirements are? Sometimes the job description is so muddled I cant tell if they want entry level or experience. So its hard to tell if I'm applying for something in my pay range or not.

EDIT: 10:40 now......thinking about calling the "help" number in the email in 5 minutes and asking for the guy by name.

EDIT2: No call. I called them and left a voicemail.....Off to turn in an app in person....

Edited by Malik112099, 08 March 2013 - 04:55 PM.

Posted Image

#86 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:42 PM

Just either tell them the pay range you're honestly looking for, or just say you'd rather discuss it later.

#87 Malik112099

Malik112099

Got Wife?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:31 PM

Went to the place. Guy was at lunch....little did I know I would be asking for on of the head guys. Left my pre-filled out app and resume. Did the name drop game and we will see how it goes.

Am i the only one who thinks that all resumes in the future will just be a list of impressive people you know?
Posted Image

#88 mtxbass1

mtxbass1

This space for rent.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:31 PM

Anyone get nervous when they ask what your pay requirements are? Sometimes the job description is so muddled I cant tell if they want entry level or experience. So its hard to tell if I'm applying for something in my pay range or not.

I don't anymore. I'm at a point in my career and follow the industry enough so that I know what's fair and when an offer is too low. It's a bit difficult when the job description is muddled, but that can usually be cleared up in the phone screen. I've actually had two cases fairly recently where my salary expectations were WAY off the position offered. I told the guy straight up that he was out of line. When questioned how much out of line, I told him double.

It's no wonder he couldn't find someone competent to fill the position after 9 months of searching.

#89 razrvamp

razrvamp

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:07 PM

It also seems hard finding someone for a position. We've had an evening and night shift Medical Technologist position open at work for about a month now. We've had maybe two interviews for both positions.
We've also had several people cancel their scheduled interviews (for whatever reason) as well.

As a person that has worked 17 years of graveyard I'll tell you why that is. It's the shift. No one wants to work those hours. Hell I don't want to work those hours. I've spent 17 years trying to figure out how to get off those hours. I've missed a lot of my kids growing up years cause of that shift

#90 Malik112099

Malik112099

Got Wife?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:18 PM

The place called me back that didnt call this morning. Guy asked if the interviewer ever called me. I said no and he apologized a ton. He rescheduled the interview and promised he would find out why I wasnt called.
Posted Image