Searching For A Job - Rant/Rave/Discuss Here

• Please log in to reply
550 replies to this topic

#121 Malik112099

Malik112099

Got Wife?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:20 PM

It bothers me when some of these companies act like it's an honor for them to even talk to you. HCA is a big employer here, and even with having gotten an in with a recruiter there through my fiance, the last folks I talked to acted like I wasn't good enough for them. Not that I wasn't qualified for the job, they weren't even looking for a degree, they just had a very elitist attitude I didn't appreciate. Of course they're also one of the largest employers in the area, so that's kind of an issue.

I've felt like that at work. Been in positions where you have to talk with management 3 or more levels above you and they act like you don't deserve to be in the same room as them. Hate that shit.

#122 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:47 PM

Only real way to deal with it is to exert yourself. It's been my experience people like that tend to back down when they see you won't take shit from them. Stand up for yourself, have pride in your work, don't let them look down on you.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#123 bigpimpin24

bigpimpin24

Killamanjaro!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:58 PM

I live in a heavy industry area and got an Associate's Degree in Applied Science (Process Technology) I finished that program back in May of 2011 and decided not to continue on with the Bachelor's degree. I noticed how much more valuable experience is compared to a degree so I have been trying to get some.

I was working at a Wholesale produce place since I was 18 up until 21 (I am 23 now) I ended up quitting that job In August of 2011 and ended up being unemployed for an entire year. Looking back at it I should have had something lined up before jumping the gun but the stress was too much and it was seriously affecting my day to day mood.

Fast forward to now and I got a job at a Waste Recycling plant now and though it's not really what I want to do it is good enough to put on my resume. I've been there for 6 months now and it's also the most money I have made (Right around 30k/yr with overtime and incentives) The perk is that I work 2nd shift so I am continuously applying to places and have my mornings open for interviews.

A friend of mine got pretty lucky and was hired in somewhere more closely related to what we went to school for. He's making more than double than I am and I hope to land something similar. He called me yesterday to let me know that someone is leaving his department and had me forward my resume to give to his Plant Manager. Hopefully something works out for me soon but in the mean time I am going to make the best of what I have.

Posted Image
"War? War never changes.."

#124 Dead of Knight

Dead of Knight

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:27 PM

My sister used to work for one of them. Not sure why she left it, actually.

Maybe she wanted to work less than 80 hours a week?
RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

This is the greatest thing ever. Certainly in the OTT at least.

#125 MrNinjaSquirrel

MrNinjaSquirrel

Emo Blogger

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:21 PM

so a gamestop is opening close to my house. I was thinking of applying. This would be my first job, and I don't really know all that well what to expect. Obviously I'm not one to think you sit around playing games all day, but for anyone that's worked there or knows someone who has, how does it compare to other retail jobs? I'm desperate for just about anything, but do I have a chance without experience?

Hey, you look like you have a lot of money; how about donating some of it to my Extra Life drive?

#126 Rosterking

Rosterking

Look away.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:32 PM

so a gamestop is opening close to my house. I was thinking of applying. This would be my first job, and I don't really know all that well what to expect. Obviously I'm not one to think you sit around playing games all day, but for anyone that's worked there or knows someone who has, how does it compare to other retail jobs? I'm desperate for just about anything, but do I have a chance without experience?

Oh god, you might need some retail experience for that kind of job. Especially for promoting their items. Thing is, most places ask for retail experience, but where in the hell do we get experience if most of them require it. I currently work at a Circle K (Job is very demanding for the little they pay) and I believe it would be the same except you're not worrying about getting robbed or shafted as much.

#127 Malik112099

Malik112099

Got Wife?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:47 PM

I would think gamestop to be a pretty entry level job. I wouldnt imagine anyone with any type of interest in video games would have an issue getting on there.
Posted Image

#128 MrNinjaSquirrel

MrNinjaSquirrel

Emo Blogger

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:55 PM

Oh god, you might need some retail experience for that kind of job. Especially for promoting their items. Thing is, most places ask for retail experience, but where in the hell do we get experience if most of them require it. I currently work at a Circle K (Job is very demanding for the little they pay) and I believe it would be the same except you're not worrying about getting robbed or shafted as much.

I would think gamestop to be a pretty entry level job. I wouldnt imagine anyone with any type of interest in video games would have an issue getting on there.

Well now I'm very confused. Thanks for the advice though, I'm going to probably try regardless. Yeah, that's my problem. Can't get a job without experience, can't get experience without a job:cry:

Hey, you look like you have a lot of money; how about donating some of it to my Extra Life drive?

#129 Rosterking

Rosterking

Look away.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:07 PM

Well now I'm very confused. Thanks for the advice though, I'm going to probably try regardless. Yeah, that's my problem. Can't get a job without experience, can't get experience without a job:cry:

Yea, that's what I was thinking when I got my job there. All you really need is a friend who can put in a good word for you. My friend did this for me and the manager loves me. I'm even training the new guy.

#130 MrNinjaSquirrel

MrNinjaSquirrel

Emo Blogger

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:18 PM

Yea, that's what I was thinking when I got my job there. All you really need is a friend who can put in a good word for you. My friend did this for me and the manager loves me. I'm even training the new guy.

by friend do you mean someone that works there, or just a good "reference"? The store is just opening, so obviously I'm out of luck on the first one

#131 Rosterking

Rosterking

Look away.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:29 PM

by friend do you mean someone that works there, or just a good "reference"? The store is just opening, so obviously I'm out of luck on the first one

Someone who works there. Sorry, that's all I can say about that.

#132 MrNinjaSquirrel

MrNinjaSquirrel

Emo Blogger

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:37 PM

Someone who works there. Sorry, that's all I can say about that.

ok, well thanks anyway, I've got my fingers crossed;)

#133 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:25 PM

Kmart seems to hire anyone breathing.

#134 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:41 PM

Maybe she wanted to work less than 80 hours a week?

Judging by the way she works, nope.

#135 darkcecil32

darkcecil32

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:46 AM

It's always awesome when an interviewer insults you or your school or something like that. Once I basically got told "Well, I decided to interview you anyway even though you weren't in the top 15% of your class because of your work experience." Oh, gee, thanks. So kind of you to come down off your high horse to interview a peasant like me. And this was me interviewing for a position below where I normally would have been - so no shit I had the work experience you were looking for. It's also ironic because I've often found that the people who interview me don't have outstanding academic credentials themselves that they seem to want in their candidates. But apparently think those high academic credentials are key to doing the very kind of work that they're doing even though other things like work experience might matter more... despite the fact they don't meet their own academic qualifications. Its just absurdity out there. I guess in this kind of market they can demand certain qualifications, but you'd think some of these people without the most stellar backgrounds who are in positions to interview and hire would see the value in other things.

Yeah, elitism and arrogance like that sicken me. And it's definitely true that most people that are searching for idealized credentials hardly ever possess said credentials themselves. You would hope that a solid work ethic would count for something. I know a fair amount of people that went to top tier schools but had no work ethic and struggled to hold down their jobs. Of course, it certainly didn't hurt that they were afforded great opportunities right off the bat, but complacency/being idle won't get you terribly much in the long run.

#136 Malik112099

Malik112099

Got Wife?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:25 AM

Just re-worked my résumé again. Ugh.

#137 Malik112099

Malik112099

Got Wife?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:03 PM

So..interesting morning..

Received a call from a recruiter about 2 possible jobs, a friend of mine told me his boss asked for my resume and now I'm sitting here waiting for this rescheduled phone interview...

EDIT: He finally ended up calling. Liked my resume but I have no ERP experience. Wants to keep my resume for any future openings because he really likes to hire ex-military. I thanked him for his time and the hunt continues...

Edited by Malik112099, 12 March 2013 - 05:22 PM.

Posted Image

#138 2DMention

2DMention

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:24 PM

Had a phone interview with Target that went well. Have an in-person interview on Fri.
Posted Image

#139 kodave

kodave

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:05 PM

Had a phone interview with Target that went well. Have an in-person interview on Fri.

For a corporate or management type position? Or for a run of the mill hourly position?

I remember fresh out of high school I applied for a job at Target at the computer kiosk in the store, went through all that jazz, and then it told me to pick up the red phone for an immediate phone interview. I picked up, dialed whatever extension it said, and the manager was like "Yeah we're not hiring right now I don't know why it bothered to have you pick up the phone and call." Maybe she was bullshitting, maybe not. The point of my story is - was that your phone interview? Like in the store? Or did someone actually call you at home?

#140 Malik112099

Malik112099

Got Wife?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:44 PM

I have an interview tomorrow morning I landed thru a buddy that works at the place. I've got lots of inside info and drove by earlier to take a look. Pretty excited/nervous.

#141 giantqtipz

giantqtipz

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:25 PM

i just had my first full fledged interview on the phone.

usually phone interviews are just screening interviews, but this one was like a regular in person interview, but on the frickin phone.

ive honestly never liked phone interviews. i need to see the other person to perform well.

#142 Stoic Person Eater

Stoic Person Eater

Murder City Pandas

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:28 PM

After two + months of unemployment, I am back to work on Monday with a great job making more than I ever have before. I've been ghosting this thread for awhile and hope everyone else looking finds the right job for them.

#143 Malik112099

Malik112099

Got Wife?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:29 PM

Congrats on the phoner. Hope it turns out well.

I had my interview this morning at 11am. Lasted about 45 minutes and was very comfortable/informal. Fingers crossed I would love to get this position.

#144 giantqtipz

giantqtipz

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:36 PM

Congrats on the phoner. Hope it turns out well.

I had my interview this morning at 11am. Lasted about 45 minutes and was very comfortable/informal. Fingers crossed I would love to get this position.

hey were you wishing me?

because my phone interview was hell and i dont think i did well at all. i applied for a specific position, and i was asked, what kind of role are you looking for?

durrr the one that im interviewing for right now? derp?

so i just had to bullshit and i hate bullshitting and exaggerating. I was also asked, what I like and dislike about one of my past experiences.

This isn't even entry level and the last time I was asked that question was for an internship 2 years ago. So I too had to bullshit my answer on that one.

Seriously, I don't feel bad about myself. I just hate the interviewer (who was the hiring manager, not HR) for asking questions that HR* are supposed to ask! Really wanna smack that guy in the head.

Give me a technical question please, or some case studies, or some scenarios. not this fit behavioral crap.

edit: when the hiring manager emailed me to inform me that he wasnt moving forward with my application. i was tempted to respond with telling him to consider changing careers to HR. considering the types of questions he asked and how unprepared he was, hes better off as HR

Edited by giantqtipz, 16 March 2013 - 11:30 AM.

#145 Access_Denied

Access_Denied

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:54 PM

This is kind of weird, but I've never done an interview. (I've had 3 jobs.) Now that I'm a senior in college, I'm starting to look for more jobs, and I already have one lined up, but I'm kind of scouting for others, just to see. I have plenty of experience in my field (computer science, programming), but I'm still nervous about interviews. Especially since I know most of them will be phone interviews. Unlike most CS majors, I work well with people and would prefer to talk to somebody directly.

I guess we'll see how it goes. Hopefully my experience will balance out what I screw up in the interviews. :/

Also, good luck Malik. I've been lurking the thread really hoping that you'll fall into something. :p I think you've got a good chance with this one. As somebody who's only been hired via friends/references, I know that definitely gives you a 1-up on everybody else.

#146 2DMention

2DMention

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:21 PM

For a corporate or management type position? Or for a run of the mill hourly position?

I remember fresh out of high school I applied for a job at Target at the computer kiosk in the store, went through all that jazz, and then it told me to pick up the red phone for an immediate phone interview. I picked up, dialed whatever extension it said, and the manager was like "Yeah we're not hiring right now I don't know why it bothered to have you pick up the phone and call." Maybe she was bullshitting, maybe not. The point of my story is - was that your phone interview? Like in the store? Or did someone actually call you at home?

They called me on my cell phone. It wasn't at the kiosk.

It's for a run of the mill hourly position. Back room.

Well, I found out I got the job. I'm happy to be working anywhere. My orientation starts on Tues. I've been searching for a over a year. It will be nice to be working again. And the good thing is that it's not far from my parents house or my house.

Can anybody comment on how it is working at Target? I'm sure some of you have worked there. I've heard it's a good place to work.
Posted Image

#147 Malik112099

Malik112099

Got Wife?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2013 - 04:52 AM

Can anybody comment on how it is working at Target? I'm sure some of you have worked there. I've heard it's a good place to work.

forums

Reviews

#148 JStryke

JStryke

Angel With A Shotgun

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2013 - 05:01 AM

For a while, it was a decent place to work, although I think it started to go downhill shortly after I started there. I've worked in two different Targets, and the first one back in 2010 was good as my hours stayed consistent. The second one where I'm at now, started decent, but the demands have gotten more outrageous as time goes by. Maybe it varies by store, but the store I'm at now I've been averaging 10-15 hours for the past month and a half and the store as a whole is understaffed. Feels like Target is a glorified Wal-Mart at this point in time.

I stream on Twitch. At least two times a week. http://www.twitch.tv/jstryker416

JStryker416.png

#149 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:28 PM

hey were you wishing me?

because my phone interview was hell and i dont think i did well at all. i applied for a specific position, and i was asked, what kind of role are you looking for?

durrr the one that im interviewing for right now? derp?

so i just had to bullshit and i hate bullshitting and exaggerating. I was also asked, what I like and dislike about one of my past experiences.

This isn't even entry level and the last time I was asked that question was for an internship 2 years ago. So I too had to bullshit my answer on that one.

Seriously, I don't feel bad about myself. I just hate the interviewer (who was the hiring manager, not HR) for asking questions that HR* are supposed to ask! Really wanna smack that guy in the head.

Give me a technical question please, or some case studies, or some scenarios. not this fit behavioral crap.

edit: when the hiring manager emailed me to inform me that he wasnt moving forward with my application. i was tempted to respond with telling him to consider changing careers to HR. considering the types of questions he asked and how unprepared he was, hes better off as HR

wow dude, you have a really shitty attitude. As someone who is going through the hiring process myself, I wouldn't hire you either.

Here's why he asked those questions.

1. What role are you looking for? I know what role you're applying for. I am asking this question because I want to find out whether you slip up and tell me what role you're actually looking for. They are not always the same. I want someone who wants this job, not someone who wants a job.

2. What do you like and dislike about your past experiences? I expect that HR has done their job and provided me with people that have a technical fit. I'll ask you a few questions to make sure you're not completely bullshitting about your experience and qualifications. But mostly, I just want to make sure you fit in right with me and the team. I want to see if you get really excited about something. I want to see if you slag off past coworkers and bosses.

He's not a bad interviewer, you're a crappy interviewee with a crappy attitude.

guys, here's the biggest advice I can give you: relax but be excitable. smile a lot. listen to the hiring manager and try to really answer his questions, not what you want to get out. (It's like a date!)

If you got through resume screening, it means he thinks you might have the technical chops to do the job. The goal now is to convince him you do but also convince him you'd be easy and fun to work with. Unless you're a super genius and so good at programming or something that you can be a grouchy asshole and get away with it, no one wants to work with a jackass.

Ees7Y.jpg

I'm 100% shocked that books still exist in today's day and age. I thought they'd be out by now. They make up like 1% of today's entertainment and unless you're 60 or older, stray away from books and start emersing yourself with real entertainment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Codes for Free / Codes for Trade

#150 Malik112099

Malik112099

Got Wife?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2013 - 02:02 PM

I've had terribephone and face to face interviews. I'm glad. It better prepares me for the next one. Every interaction is going to be different.