Photo
- - - - -

Searching For A Job - Rant/Rave/Discuss Here

• Please log in to reply
550 replies to this topic

#241 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:15 PM

Did they give you a time frame about their hiring process?

There are no shortcuts. No do-overs. What happened, happened. Trust me. I know. All of this matters.

Madden 13 SB Champ in the CAG gentleman's league.

#242 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:33 PM

Got my offer today. Starting my new job at a non-profit on Monday. SCORE!

Congrats dude. I've looked into some local non-profits before, but none ever seem to need IT people.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#243 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:53 PM

Congratz

Good for you, I hope you enjoy it and it works out for you!

I don't know what I would do if I ever got fired or quit. I've been with the same Company for 13 years.

Congrats dude. I've looked into some local non-profits before, but none ever seem to need IT people.

Thanks dudes. It's an administrative position so I'm basically payroll, HR, IT, and misc. Best part is that there's a Popeye's across the street!

Posted Image
dohdough.png

"Speaking of which, there's another elitist prick that argues constantly on the Politics forums by the name of dohdough. He's a complete douche, but at least he keeps his posts in that cesspool of useless opinions. He gets my runner-up nomination."

Thanks for the nomination for the Most Memorable CAG Villan 2012, Blade!

#244 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:33 PM

Well, Popeye's chicken is fucking awesome, so score.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#245 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:40 PM

Well, Popeye's chicken is fucking awesome, so score.

Double score because there's a Crown Fried Chicken a block away in another direction.8-)
dohdough.png

"Speaking of which, there's another elitist prick that argues constantly on the Politics forums by the name of dohdough. He's a complete douche, but at least he keeps his posts in that cesspool of useless opinions. He gets my runner-up nomination."

#246 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:50 PM

Double score because there's a Crown Fried Chicken a block away in another direction.8-)

Not knowing wtf that is I looked it up. Lucky SOB....:lol:

#247 Malik112099

Malik112099

Got Wife?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:03 PM

Did they give you a time frame about their hiring process?

Not really. Got the interview through the friend that works there. The actual hiring manager had an emergency and wasnt in the interview and is out till Monday. I asked my buddy about the email and he said it is completely out of the hands of the people that interviewed me so a follow-up email will be pointless. He said he would ask his boss about me on Monday.
Posted Image

#248 WV Matsui

WV Matsui

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:14 PM

Congrats Dohdough!
Always posting from my iPhone sorry for any formatting issues! :bouncy:

#249 Malik112099

Malik112099

Got Wife?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:26 PM

been looking through a bunch of job postings this morning. It amazes me to see a "Manager" position then click on it and look at the pay. It seems that the job titles keep getting more impressive and the pay stays the same or goes down.
Posted Image

#250 Ag_SurfR

Ag_SurfR

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:47 PM

such an up and down week. it's been incredible.

had an interview a couple of weeks ok, i didn't think i did as well as i could have, but what're you gonna do?

i got an email last friday telling me the position had been filled so i was pretty down, kicking myself for my mediocre interview. i tried telling myself it wasn't a huge deal because i might not have been right for the job anyway since i had no real experience in the field.

on tuesday i got a call from them asking me if i was interested in the job. i said i was, and it looks like i'll be starting this coming may.

Auen1.png?7125

#251 Ag_SurfR

Ag_SurfR

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:50 PM

I am literally in the exact same boat as you are even including having an interview on thursday.

did you get the job?

Auen1.png?7125

#252 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:40 PM

Background check, reference check, years of experience, specific work experience, transferable skills, awards and commendations, education, certifications, specific work achievements, etc. Unless they are straight out of the same college and didn't have extra curricular activities there are plenty of ways to distinguish candidates from one another without ever meeting them. If they aren't separating themselves from the rest in one way or another why interview at all?

So I have two candidates that I love. Relevant work experience. Same years of experience. Lists the same skills. Both worked for companies that were competitors. (say google and microsoft) (This is hardly a stretch.)

Both graduated from similarly ranked state colleges. Both were presidents of their activity club/group. Both have no background issues. Both have similar type references.

I wonder how I should make the decision and hire one over the other..... OH, how about a motherfucking interview.

You guys act like resumes are all beautiful unique snowflakes. They are not. A lot of resumes basically are the same with slight variations.

If you were a hiring manager and you got two resumes that were nearly identical, how would you decide?

The interview is not irrelevant. It is the final hurdle on getting a job. Does it suck that maybe you don't get a job because the interviewer just didn't jibe with you or maybe you had a bad day or you said one wrong thing? Sure. But that's the hurdle you have to clear. Unless the interview is discriminating based on race or sex, there's nothing wrong with the interview process.

Ees7Y.jpg

I'm 100% shocked that books still exist in today's day and age. I thought they'd be out by now. They make up like 1% of today's entertainment and unless you're 60 or older, stray away from books and start emersing yourself with real entertainment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Codes for Free / Codes for Trade

#253 Malik112099

Malik112099

Got Wife?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:21 PM

So I have two candidates that I love. Relevant work experience. Same years of experience. Lists the same skills. Both worked for companies that were competitors. (say google and microsoft) (This is hardly a stretch.)

Both graduated from similarly ranked state colleges. Both were presidents of their activity club/group. Both have no background issues. Both have similar type references.

I wonder how I should make the decision and hire one over the other..... OH, how about a motherfucking interview.

You guys act like resumes are all beautiful unique snowflakes. They are not. A lot of resumes basically are the same with slight variations.

If you were a hiring manager and you got two resumes that were nearly identical, how would you decide?

The interview is not irrelevant. It is the final hurdle on getting a job. Does it suck that maybe you don't get a job because the interviewer just didn't jibe with you or maybe you had a bad day or you said one wrong thing? Sure. But that's the hurdle you have to clear. Unless the interview is discriminating based on race or sex, there's nothing wrong with the interview process.

Yes, that is when an interview would differentiate the candidates. Chill, we are just saying that you need all of that great stuff before you even get to the interview. I think all that other stuff is the sentence. If the sentence is constructed well enough you get to put the punctuation at the end which is the interview. The interviewer determines the punctuation mark. Period? Exclamation? Question mark?

What do you do if both interviews go fantastic? I find it hard to believe you could have 2 people that closely matched where one doesn't have an edge over the other. If they are both that great then hire both.
Posted Image

#254 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:32 PM

Yes, that is when an interview would differentiate the candidates. Chill, we are just saying that you need all of that great stuff before you even get to the interview. I think all that other stuff is the sentence. If the sentence is constructed well enough you get to put the punctuation at the end which is the interview. The interviewer determines the punctuation mark. Period? Exclamation? Question mark?

What do you do if both interviews go fantastic? I find it hard to believe you could have 2 people that closely matched where one doesn't have an edge over the other. If they are both that great then hire both.

Spokker seams to think that the interview is unnecessary, which is just not true. But he hasn't told us how to replace it yet.

If both interviews are fantastic, you just nut up and make a decision. Can't hire both.

Ees7Y.jpg

I'm 100% shocked that books still exist in today's day and age. I thought they'd be out by now. They make up like 1% of today's entertainment and unless you're 60 or older, stray away from books and start emersing yourself with real entertainment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#255 Dead of Knight

Dead of Knight

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:00 PM

Thanks dudes. It's an administrative position so I'm basically payroll, HR, IT, and misc. Best part is that there's a Popeye's across the street!

Posted Image

Fucking awesome! I'm in admin at a non-profit doing accounting though I also help with payroll and HR.
RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

This is the greatest thing ever. Certainly in the OTT at least.

#256 skiizim

skiizim

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:49 PM

The images google showed looked pretty good, doesn't look like double Fried KFC. You guys like Pollo Campero?

Have a pole and let CAG decide for you!

#257 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:44 PM

Fucking awesome! I'm in admin at a non-profit doing accounting though I also help with payroll and HR.

Sweet! I'm pretty excited and the hours are better than my last job. 9-5 instead of 8:30-5:30 with plenty of parking. Only problem is that the commute is going to be about an hour each way. Well worth it for the Popeye's though.:lol:

The images google showed looked pretty good, doesn't look like double Fried KFC. You guys like Pollo Campero?

Hell fucking YES! That shit is GOOD!:drool:
dohdough.png

#258 Spokker

Spokker

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:53 PM

I'm still waiting for an answer for what to use to judge similar candidates other than an interview because they are sooooooo stupid.

I'm not saying don't interview them, but also don't get into obviously silly criteria because the decision is so hard. At some point we are going to have to admit that we don't how everything is going to work out.

Once you hire someone, you'll see what they are really like in a few weeks or months, and how they truly are is usually just fine. So why not be ourselves all the time?

#259 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:12 AM

Have a pole and let CAG decide for you!

Who's paying?

Posted Image

elessar123.png

#260 Duo_Maxwell

Duo_Maxwell

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:43 AM

It's like you aren't even listening.

@Duo Maxwell - how the hell are you going to have someone shadow someone else to see if they can plan a budget or create presentation materials or the thousands of other jobs that you can't just demonstrate you can do in 30 mins. Plus, what you're proposing, outside of fry cook type jobs, is basically... an interview.

I think you missed the point or perhaps I wasn't clear as to what I meant, but the goal is essentially the same as any job interview process should be. It's to see if that person will fit the position you're hiring for & your company. I simply do not like the current robotic ordeal that is often used in as the main job interview process (especially large corporations, etc.). You're not having them shadow somebody or yourself to see if they can get the details of the job down pat in 30 mins, you do it so you can see the person's actual interest in that field of work. More importantly it's not to see if they have just experience or interest in crunching numbers, do can they do it for your company in the way you want it done? And it doesn't necessarily have to shadowing someone, the real points is to assess their ACTUAL interest & ACTUAL skills. Don't simply tell me what you can do, show me. If that happens to be creating a presentation, then you make them do it. Have a meet & greet interview, give them the necessary info then say in the 2nd interview I want to see you present that to me.

Maybe we just have different ways of doing the same thing basically, everyone has different managerial styles anyhow. My opinion is just that I don't like the idea of the candidate being robotic and following this whole idea of them talking through their teeth & putting up a facade with no real substance behind it. If all you do is ask questions and that is all you'll come away with I believe. I'm not saying never interview people, you need to talk to the candidate but I think you also need to know their real interest/skills. Yet all too often in my opinion you are never really tested or even vetted until you're actually hired anymore using the typical job interview questions or process. Every large company anymore has a probationary period right when hiring a person so they can simply fire them if they don't fit. But my issue with that is while you're doing that perhaps the candidate that fit the best found work someplace else and after 90 days or whatever you still don't have your position filled and your staff in place. This is the ultimate folly and why some companies still claim to be under staffed in my view.

My all-time most-hated question that comes up a lot that I will never ask anyone is "what's your biggest weakness" (or a variation of that). It's a lose-lose question for both parties IMO, because either the candidate will evade the question, lie, or be too honest (and as much I like honesty if a candidate says something like they don't work well in a team I'm obviously not putting that in the plus column). Anyway it goes down I've not come away with much to help me decide on someone. But as I said, different styles, perhaps some like it because it shows them something else in a candidate.

Edited by Duo_Maxwell, 23 March 2013 - 01:55 AM.

#261 skiizim

skiizim

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:51 AM

Who's paying?

Posted Image

Lets go, I just got my tax return!

#262 Duo_Maxwell

Duo_Maxwell

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:59 AM

Lets go, I just got my tax return!

How did you get the IRS to send it to you in singles?

#263 skiizim

skiizim

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:03 AM

How did you get the IRS to send it to you in singles?

That's what the bank is for!

#264 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:05 AM

I think you missed the point or perhaps I wasn't clear as to what I meant, but the goal is essentially the same as any job interview process should be. It's to see if that person will fit the position you're hiring for & your company. I simply do not like the current robotic ordeal that is often used in as the main job interview process (especially large corporations, etc.). You're not having them shadow somebody or yourself to see if they can get the details of the job down pat in 30 mins, you do it so you can see the person's actual interest in that field of work. More importantly it's not to see if they have just experience or interest in crunching numbers, do can they do it for your company in the way you want it done? And it doesn't necessarily have to shadowing someone, the real points is to assess their ACTUAL interest & ACTUAL skills. Don't simply tell me what you can do, show me. If that happens to be creating a presentation, then you make them do it. Have a meet & greet interview, give them the necessary info then say in the 2nd interview I want to see you present that to me.

You're never going to get a candidate to do that in certain industries. Dare I say, most professional jobs. You want me to do work for you without actually having the job? F no.

Ees7Y.jpg

#265 Spokker

Spokker

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:15 AM

You're never going to get a candidate to do that in certain industries. Dare I say, most professional jobs. You want me to do work for you without actually having the job? F no.

Internships. You work for free. It's like an extended audition.

#266 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:23 AM

Internships. You work for free. It's like an extended audition.

Uhhh yeah but how does that solve the problem of hiring actual people with experience.

Ees7Y.jpg

#267 skiizim

skiizim

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:31 AM

Uhhh yeah but how does that solve the problem of hiring actual people with experience.

Are you asking for help or just wondering what peoples opinions are? It would also help if you gave us some more information regarding what field this in and job they are applying for (can't remember if you said or not).

#268 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:38 AM

Are you asking for help or just wondering what peoples opinions are? It would also help if you gave us some more information regarding what field this in and job they are applying for (can't remember if you said or not).

No no. I'm just discussing the whole "interviews are useless" theory that's been floating around here.

I'm saying there's no better way to hire than the interview process. No solution I've heard yet is a viable alternative to interviewing.

Ees7Y.jpg

#269 skiizim

skiizim

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:39 AM

No no. I'm just discussing the whole "interviews are useless" theory that's been floating around here.

I'm saying there's no better way to hire than the interview process. No solution I've heard yet is a viable alternative to interviewing.

To get a feel for someone and see there personally it certainly is but to see who is more qualifying is a whole other story.

#270 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:45 AM

To get a feel for someone and see there personally it certainly is but to see who is more qualifying is a whole other story.

But there's no other way to do it. You can't sit someone down and say "do this task" to judge them. I realize the legends of google asking engineers to write code on a whiteboard but for the most part, professional jobs just don't work that way.

Ees7Y.jpg