The Hobbit (3/19/13) - Worldwide Exclusives

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#1 ssjmichael

ssjmichael

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:29 PM

Here are the worldwide exclusives for The Hobbit, which releases on March 19th. All worldwide releases are region free. I've specified whether it's 2D or 3D next to each retailer. This is a wikified thread so please add any other exclusive you find

U.S. and Canada

Best Buy andBestbuy.ca (2D) - Exclusive lenticular slipcover featuring Bilbo and Gollum cover (Bestbuy.ca version shown below), and a CinemaNow code for access to a 30 minute exclusive documentary feature: "A Hobbit's Tale Part 1: The Journey Begins". Possibly on disc too.

UPDATE: The code for A Hobbit's Tale Pt 1 is multi-use. Enter HOBN94B89AAF708 on Cinemanow.com to watch it!

Posted Image + Posted Image

Target (2D) - Exclusive Packaging with Lego Figurine and Exclusive featurette

Posted Image

Futureshop (2D) - Exclusive Steelbook packaging

Posted Image

Walmart (2D) - Exclusive Digibook packaging (also at Walmart Canada)

Posted Image

WBshop.com
(2D) - Comes with exclusive 8" x 40" Panoramic Poster

http://ii.wbshop.com...id=370&cvt=jpeg

Europe/U.K.

Amazon France

3D Steelbook, and choice of three 2D Steelbooks

Posted Image

Amazon Germany - Exclusive Steelbook packaging

Posted Image

Amazon Italy (2D or 3D) - Exclusive hardcover book included

Posted Image

Amazon UK (2D) - Exclusive Steelbook Packaging

Posted Image

Edited by ssjmichael, 26 March 2013 - 01:23 AM.

#2 w00dm4n

w00dm4n

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:57 PM

When do the Extended Editions come out?

lol...

#3 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:55 PM

When do the Extended Editions come out?

lol...

This fall. Pretty sure that was confirmed, if not it was strongly hinted at by Jackson. Haven't kept up on movie news as much lately, but that's were it stood last I saw).

I'll just rent this version as I never got around to seeing it in 2D or regular 3D in theaters, and didn't care much for the 48FPS presentations (lots of scenes looked like they were on 1.5x fastforward to my eyes). Will definitely by the extended cut though--hope they also do that in 3D.

#4 ssjmichael

ssjmichael

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:06 PM

Yeah this Fall/Winter

#5 GamerDude316

GamerDude316

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:13 PM

Yeah I'll likely wait for the extended edition as well, need that to go with my LOTR EE trilogy.

#6 leichstein

leichstein

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:23 PM

On one hand, I like and prefer extended cuts of movies. On the other hand, I feel like the movie was bloated enough.

#7 nixmahn

nixmahn

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:32 PM

Why do people just not wait until the whole trilogy is finished? People who buy these should know they want to double and triple dip when it comes out.

#8 Havokscry

Havokscry

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:34 PM

They'll probably offer movie cash to DoS with the EE to help encourage the double dipping.

#9 ssjmichael

ssjmichael

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:37 PM

Why do people just not wait until the whole trilogy is finished? People who buy these should know they want to double and triple dip when it comes out.

Because some people want Steelbook and digibook versions, and odds are those aren't going to be sold in trilogy packs, and who knows how readily available these individual ones will be at that point.

#10 draven1089

draven1089

Why So Serious ?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:43 PM

Holding out for the extened box set version, Thanks for the info OP.

Posted Image

Many Fall, Few Rise

#11 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:43 PM

With LOTR they never did more to the movies after the EEs. And I couldn't care less about extras that I never watch anymore anyway, nor getting them all in once boxed set.

I'd rather buy the EEs as they come out and enjoy watching them before seeing the next one in the theater etc.

#12 Nogib

Nogib

*squeezing* the *juice*

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:46 PM

Because I don't want to wait three years to watch The Hobbit again.
End of line.

#13 SonictheHedgehog1337

SonictheHedgehog1337

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:52 PM

Did anyone hear about the extended editions being available in 3d? I enjoyed this film very much, but it already felt like an EE to me. Some of the scenes just felt like they went on and on too long.

I think I would rather own the theatrical 3d instead of the extended 2d. But if there's an extended 3d on the way, I'll wait for that.

Spoiler

#14 ssjmichael

ssjmichael

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:54 PM

I haven't heard about the extended being in 3D, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't. I could see it getting a limited theatrical released in 3D even, right before DoS comes out.

#15 iNCREDiPiNOY

iNCREDiPiNOY

This guy is awesome!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:54 PM

FYI, Walmart offer 3D Lenticular Card as a pre-order towards DigiBook.

#16 WingsDJY

WingsDJY

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:42 PM

With LOTR they never did more to the movies after the EEs. And I couldn't care less about extras that I never watch anymore anyway, nor getting them all in once boxed set.

I'd rather buy the EEs as they come out and enjoy watching them before seeing the next one in the theater etc.

Technically, they did do more after the EEs. The initial set of EEs were DVD only, released separately. But then there was also a DVD box set of all 3 EEs. Then, they re-released the EEs on BD.
"Ha! I like your style, you make up your own rules just like me." - Cave Johnson

#17 skiizim

skiizim

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:47 PM

Is amazon France the only retailer offering the 3D version?

The Digibook looks nice!

#18 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:59 PM

Technically, they did do more after the EEs. The initial set of EEs were DVD only, released separately. But then there was also a DVD box set of all 3 EEs. Then, they re-released the EEs on BD.

I meant that they didn't add anything else to the movies themselves in subsequent releases of the EEs. Other than adding the green tint to FOTR on Bluray that a lot of videophiles hated.

I won't double dip for different packaging or new extra features etc., so the only time I hold out is when I know an extended cut/director's cut of a movie is coming later as the film is all I care about.

#19 ssjmichael

ssjmichael

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:59 PM

Is amazon France the only retailer offering the 3D version?

The Digibook looks nice!

The only one offering a 3D steelbook I think.

#20 skiizim

skiizim

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:06 PM

I have some big decisions to make, I wish they would announce all the plans they have set for the EE to make things a bit easier. I most likely will get the Digibook but at the same time I want the 3D version and I could hold off on. Does anybody know if they have plans in releasing the EE in 3D?

#21 henry00x

henry00x

Chosen One

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:08 PM

i have the uk steelbook preordered, but i might have to pick up the Walmart Digibook as well

#22 ssjmichael

ssjmichael

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:09 PM

Target has put up their exclusive, and it looks really nice. It comes with a lego figure and an exclusive featurette. Love the cover art on the front. It $24.99 which isn't that bad.

http://www.target.co...term=the hobbit

Posted Image

#23 SonictheHedgehog1337

SonictheHedgehog1337

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:24 PM

I haven't heard about the extended being in 3D, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't. I could see it getting a limited theatrical released in 3D even, right before DoS comes out.

I thought the same thing about a Avatar Extended 3D bluray. I was wrong. :cry:

I watch my 3D version, then go put in the extended edition to watch the additional scenes in 2D. A nerd's nightmare. ;)

#24 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:27 PM

Yeah, I was very surprised Avatar 3D didn't offer the extended version. I'd already given away my 2D BR before upgrading. But I'd probably never watch it anyway as the added content wasn't a huge deal in that movie, and the 3D is so good.

With The Hobbit I'd likely give up 3D for the EE if necessary since I like the EEs of LOTR so much more than the theatrical cuts.

#25 argyle

argyle

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:44 PM

I won't double dip for different packaging or new extra features etc., so the only time I hold out is when I know an extended cut/director's cut of a movie is coming later as the film is all I care about.

This, exactly. Packaging doesn't really matter to me - in a box, individual, whatever. I'll get a steelbook if it's convenient & not cost prohibitive, but I don't go out of my way for them or anything. I want the movie, and I want the extended cut of it. That's it.

BTW, I know a lot of ppl thought this movie was slow, but my wife and I loved it. Matter of fact, leaving the theater we were talking about where the extended ed. scenes would probably fill in some gaps we saw.
Posted Image

#26 nightmare452

nightmare452

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:47 PM

Really like the Gollum cover. He creeped me out in the film. Will probably get that one.

Now playing: Diablo 3 (360), Lost Planet 3, Saints Row 4, Rayman Legends, Killzone Mercenary, Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm.

#27 ssjmichael

ssjmichael

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:18 PM

Amazon Italy - Exclusive hardcover book included

Posted Image

#28 Vap

Vap

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:35 PM

On one hand, I like and prefer extended cuts of movies. On the other hand, I feel like the movie was bloated enough.

This. I still can't believe they're making this a triolgy. The book is what, under 400 pages?

#29 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:41 PM

This. I still can't believe they're making this a triolgy. The book is what, under 400 pages?

The movies add in a lot from the LOTR appendices, feel in a lot of gaps in the story that are mentioned only briefly in The Hobbit (the white council dealing with the necromancer is important but only mentioned in passing in the book), and of course Jackson et al. add their own plot points as well (the stuff with Azog--if I'm remember the name of the one armed orc right--is mostly new creation by them).

To each their own if it feels bloated or slow, but it's not from stretching the Hobbit text too far as they're covering a lot of extra stuff.

#30 ssjmichael

ssjmichael

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:44 PM

The Hobbit brushes over major events pretty quickly too. The Battle of Five armies only lasts a couple of pages for instance, something that could easily be detailed more. Things happen at a much slower pace in the LOTR books. The Hobbit is certainly justified in having 2 movies, we'll have to see about 3.