The Hobbit (3/19/13) - Worldwide Exclusives

ssjmichael

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Here are the worldwide exclusives for The Hobbit, which releases on March 19th. All worldwide releases are region free. I've specified whether it's 2D or 3D next to each retailer. This is a wikified thread so please add any other exclusive you find

U.S. and Canada

Best Buy andBestbuy.ca (2D) - Exclusive lenticular slipcover featuring Bilbo and Gollum cover (Bestbuy.ca version shown below), and a CinemaNow code for access to a 30 minute exclusive documentary feature: "A Hobbit's Tale Part 1: The Journey Begins". Possibly on disc too.

UPDATE: The code for A Hobbit's Tale Pt 1 is multi-use. Enter HOBN94B89AAF708 on Cinemanow.com to watch it!

M2204073.gif
+
7857055_sb.jpg

Target (2D) - Exclusive Packaging with Lego Figurine and Exclusive featurette

14461794_130219203000.jpg

Futureshop (2D) - Exclusive Steelbook packaging

hobbitfs.jpg

Walmart (2D) - Exclusive Digibook packaging (also at Walmart Canada)

0079404316460_300X300.jpg

WBshop.com
(2D) - Comes with exclusive 8" x 40" Panoramic Poster

iipsrv.fcgi

Europe/U.K.

Amazon France

3D Steelbook, and choice of three 2D Steelbooks

rszhobbit.jpg

Amazon Germany - Exclusive Steelbook packaging

51Huj%2BLNvUL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Amazon Italy (2D or 3D) - Exclusive hardcover book included

hobbititaly.jpg

Amazon UK (2D) - Exclusive Steelbook Packaging

516ICs3wqRL._AA300_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='w00dm4n']When do the Extended Editions come out?

lol...[/QUOTE]

This fall. Pretty sure that was confirmed, if not it was strongly hinted at by Jackson. Haven't kept up on movie news as much lately, but that's were it stood last I saw).

I'll just rent this version as I never got around to seeing it in 2D or regular 3D in theaters, and didn't care much for the 48FPS presentations (lots of scenes looked like they were on 1.5x fastforward to my eyes). Will definitely by the extended cut though--hope they also do that in 3D.

Why do people just not wait until the whole trilogy is finished? People who buy these should know they want to double and triple dip when it comes out.

[quote name='nixmahn']Why do people just not wait until the whole trilogy is finished? People who buy these should know they want to double and triple dip when it comes out.[/QUOTE]

Because some people want Steelbook and digibook versions, and odds are those aren't going to be sold in trilogy packs, and who knows how readily available these individual ones will be at that point.

[quote name='nixmahn']Why do people just not wait until the whole trilogy is finished? People who buy these should know they want to double and triple dip when it comes out.[/QUOTE]

With LOTR they never did more to the movies after the EEs. And I couldn't care less about extras that I never watch anymore anyway, nor getting them all in once boxed set.

I'd rather buy the EEs as they come out and enjoy watching them before seeing the next one in the theater etc.

Because I don't want to wait three years to watch The Hobbit again.

Did anyone hear about the extended editions being available in 3d? I enjoyed this film very much, but it already felt like an EE to me. Some of the scenes just felt like they went on and on too long.

I think I would rather own the theatrical 3d instead of the extended 2d. But if there's an extended 3d on the way, I'll wait for that.

Who the fuck and I kidding. I'm a nerd. I'll buy them all...:roll:

I haven't heard about the extended being in 3D, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't. I could see it getting a limited theatrical released in 3D even, right before DoS comes out.

[quote name='dmaul1114']With LOTR they never did more to the movies after the EEs. And I couldn't care less about extras that I never watch anymore anyway, nor getting them all in once boxed set.

I'd rather buy the EEs as they come out and enjoy watching them before seeing the next one in the theater etc.[/QUOTE]

Technically, they did do more after the EEs. The initial set of EEs were DVD only, released separately. But then there was also a DVD box set of all 3 EEs. Then, they re-released the EEs on BD.

[quote name='WingsDJY']Technically, they did do more after the EEs. The initial set of EEs were DVD only, released separately. But then there was also a DVD box set of all 3 EEs. Then, they re-released the EEs on BD.[/QUOTE]

I meant that they didn't add anything else to the movies themselves in subsequent releases of the EEs. Other than adding the green tint to FOTR on Bluray that a lot of videophiles hated.

I won't double dip for different packaging or new extra features etc., so the only time I hold out is when I know an extended cut/director's cut of a movie is coming later as the film is all I care about.

[quote name='skiizim']Is amazon France the only retailer offering the 3D version?

The Digibook looks nice![/QUOTE]

The only one offering a 3D steelbook I think.

I have some big decisions to make, I wish they would announce all the plans they have set for the EE to make things a bit easier. I most likely will get the Digibook but at the same time I want the 3D version and I could hold off on. Does anybody know if they have plans in releasing the EE in 3D?

[quote name='ssjmichael']I haven't heard about the extended being in 3D, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't. I could see it getting a limited theatrical released in 3D even, right before DoS comes out.[/QUOTE]

I thought the same thing about a Avatar Extended 3D bluray. I was wrong. :cry:

I watch my 3D version, then go put in the extended edition to watch the additional scenes in 2D. A nerd's nightmare. ;)

Yeah, I was very surprised Avatar 3D didn't offer the extended version. I'd already given away my 2D BR before upgrading. But I'd probably never watch it anyway as the added content wasn't a huge deal in that movie, and the 3D is so good.

With The Hobbit I'd likely give up 3D for the EE if necessary since I like the EEs of LOTR so much more than the theatrical cuts.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I won't double dip for different packaging or new extra features etc., so the only time I hold out is when I know an extended cut/director's cut of a movie is coming later as the film is all I care about.[/QUOTE]

This, exactly. Packaging doesn't really matter to me - in a box, individual, whatever. I'll get a steelbook if it's convenient & not cost prohibitive, but I don't go out of my way for them or anything. I want the movie, and I want the extended cut of it. That's it.

BTW, I know a lot of ppl thought this movie was slow, but my wife and I loved it. Matter of fact, leaving the theater we were talking about where the extended ed. scenes would probably fill in some gaps we saw.

[quote name='leichstein']On one hand, I like and prefer extended cuts of movies. On the other hand, I feel like the movie was bloated enough.[/QUOTE]

This. I still can't believe they're making this a triolgy. The book is what, under 400 pages?

[quote name='Vap']This. I still can't believe they're making this a triolgy. The book is what, under 400 pages?[/QUOTE]

The movies add in a lot from the LOTR appendices, feel in a lot of gaps in the story that are mentioned only briefly in The Hobbit (the white council dealing with the necromancer is important but only mentioned in passing in the book), and of course Jackson et al. add their own plot points as well (the stuff with Azog--if I'm remember the name of the one armed orc right--is mostly new creation by them).

To each their own if it feels bloated or slow, but it's not from stretching the Hobbit text too far as they're covering a lot of extra stuff.

The Hobbit brushes over major events pretty quickly too. The Battle of Five armies only lasts a couple of pages for instance, something that could easily be detailed more. Things happen at a much slower pace in the LOTR books. The Hobbit is certainly justified in having 2 movies, we'll have to see about 3.

Absolutely. Even in LOTR the battle scenes were very short in the book compared to their relative length in the movies. So for sure the scenes with Smaug attacking Dale (if I'm remember the river town name right) and the Battle of Five Armies will eat up a lot of screen time just like Helm's deep and Pellenor Field battles in the LOTR movies. The white council attacking the Necromancer will likely get a lot of time too.

I think three will be fine when you factor all that in, along with the Azog story line etc. I figure the next one will set up the White Council stuff more and probably end with the Dale fight, and the third one will go back and forth between the Battle of Five Armies and attacking the Necromancer for most of the movie until dealing with the aftermath stuff and setting up the LOTR movies directly at the end.

[quote name='GamerDude316']Leaning towards BB right now with that Gollun cover and an RZ cert, but if news about the EE drops I might wait.[/QUOTE]

what RZ cert? Do you mean just earning points from buying the movie or are they giving out a RZ cert?

I thought it was pretty good. It goes on a bit longer than it should, and I felt it needed tighter editing, but if you liked LOTR you should enjoy it.

[quote name='ssjmichael']I thought it was pretty good. It goes on a bit longer than it should, and I felt it needed tighter editing, but if you liked LOTR you should enjoy it.[/QUOTE]

I agree with that. The first hour needed to be chopped in half.

[quote name='cardsharkrob']what RZ cert? Do you mean just earning points from buying the movie or are they giving out a RZ cert?[/QUOTE]

sorry, I mean I'll have an RZ cert by then thanks to pending points.

Getting the Best Buy Gollum cover AND the Extended Edition later one. I'm not a patient person and have no problem double dipping if the extra content is worth it.

It just looks like a slipcover, so that's what I wrote for time being. So, there's still a chance it's a steelbook as they haven't clarified anything just yet.

So is the blu-ray only going to have the 24 fps version of the film? I guess I'm in the minority, but I absolutely loved the 48 fps version, which I saw after seeing the regular IMAX 3D version. Sure, it was a little jarring for the first 15-20 minutes with stuff like old Bilbo's seemingly incredibly fast walking, but after that I was just really amazed at how clear all the action sequences looked, and I also thought a lot of the CGI action, like the stuff in the mines in particular, looked a lot less cartoony in the 48 fps version because of the lower amount of motion blur.

You know, I also think the 20 minutes or so of standard 24 fps trailers shown before the movie also probably made the transition to 48 fps at the start of The Hobbit even more jarring for a lot of people.

Edit: Well from what I've read I guess blu-ray players can't even output in 48 fps. That's lame. You'd think if a PS3 could output games at 60 fps then showing a movie at 48 fps would be a cinch.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Philip J. Fry']So is the blu-ray only going to have the 24 fps version of the film? I guess I'm in the minority, but I absolutely loved the 48 fps version, which I saw after seeing the regular IMAX 3D version. Sure, it was a little jarring for the first 15-20 minutes with stuff like old Bilbo's seemingly incredibly fast walking, but after that I was just really amazed at how clear all the action sequences looked, and I also thought a lot of the CGI action, like the stuff in the mines in particular, looked a lot less cartoony in the 48 fps version because of the lower amount of motion blur.

You know, I also think the 20 minutes or so of standard 24 fps trailers shown before the movie also probably made the transition to 48 fps at the start of The Hobbit even more jarring for a lot of people.

Edit: Well from what I've read I guess blu-ray players can't even output in 48 fps. That's lame. You'd think if a PS3 could output games at 60 fps then showing a movie at 48 fps would be a cinch.[/QUOTE]

Blu-ray players *can* output in 48 fps... it's called Blu-ray 3D.

So, basically, the only way it would be possible to get a 48 fps version of 'The Hobbit' in a home video format would be some kind of unconventional 2D "Blu-ray 3D" hybrid with one video track being the odd frames and the other being the even frames... which wouldn't work because different TVs process the 3D signal in different ways and there would be issues with half the frames playing at the wrong time (i.e. frame 2 playing before frame 1, frame 4 playing before frame 3, ad infinitum). Nevermind.

[quote name='ssjmichael']It's a lenticular cover, with both Gollum and Bilbo on it[/QUOTE]

well damn now im conflicted, i have the steelbook on preorder from amazon uk, but was pondering picking up the walmart digibook too but a lenticular slip is tempting

Are there any downsides to ordering the Amazon UK version other than getting it way later? Looks like it comes out to $30 shipped, which isn't too bad.

[quote name='demonlord6696']Im just gonna wait for the Extended Edition.[/QUOTE]

Yep, same here. As I thought about how I purchased each of the LotR movies a total of 3 times, I am actually going to wait for the Hobbit Trilogy (LOL...Hobbit "Trilogy") extended edition in 5 years.

[quote name='sassylaurie']Yep, same here. As I thought about how I purchased each of the LotR movies a total of 3 times, I am actually going to wait for the Hobbit Trilogy (LOL...Hobbit "Trilogy") extended edition in 5 years.[/QUOTE]

As much as I would like to see it... I'm going to have to do this.

bread's done
Back