Photo
- - - - -

The Hobbit (3/19/13) - Worldwide Exclusives

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#31 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:48 PM

Absolutely. Even in LOTR the battle scenes were very short in the book compared to their relative length in the movies. So for sure the scenes with Smaug attacking Dale (if I'm remember the river town name right) and the Battle of Five Armies will eat up a lot of screen time just like Helm's deep and Pellenor Field battles in the LOTR movies. The white council attacking the Necromancer will likely get a lot of time too.

I think three will be fine when you factor all that in, along with the Azog story line etc. I figure the next one will set up the White Council stuff more and probably end with the Dale fight, and the third one will go back and forth between the Battle of Five Armies and attacking the Necromancer for most of the movie until dealing with the aftermath stuff and setting up the LOTR movies directly at the end.

#32 GamerDude316

GamerDude316

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:32 AM

Leaning towards BB right now with that Gollun cover and an RZ cert, but if news about the EE drops I might wait.

#33 cardsharkrob

cardsharkrob

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:46 AM

Leaning towards BB right now with that Gollun cover and an RZ cert, but if news about the EE drops I might wait.

what RZ cert? Do you mean just earning points from buying the movie or are they giving out a RZ cert?

#34 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:59 AM

Was this movie any good? Haven't seen it but have the LOTR trilogy on BD.

#35 ssjmichael

ssjmichael

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:09 AM

I thought it was pretty good. It goes on a bit longer than it should, and I felt it needed tighter editing, but if you liked LOTR you should enjoy it.

#36 CaseyRyback

CaseyRyback

Your New Nightmare!

• Super Moderators

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:29 AM

I thought it was pretty good. It goes on a bit longer than it should, and I felt it needed tighter editing, but if you liked LOTR you should enjoy it.

I agree with that. The first hour needed to be chopped in half.

Posted Image

#37 GamerDude316

GamerDude316

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:48 AM

what RZ cert? Do you mean just earning points from buying the movie or are they giving out a RZ cert?

sorry, I mean I'll have an RZ cert by then thanks to pending points.

#38 ghostman123

ghostman123

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:29 AM

Getting the Best Buy Gollum cover AND the Extended Edition later one. I'm not a patient person and have no problem double dipping if the extra content is worth it.

#39 patcrazystar64

patcrazystar64

Human Android

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:10 AM

I was really hoping that Best Buy exclusive would be a steelbook since Warner released the other 3 on steel...

#40 ssjmichael

ssjmichael

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:13 AM

It just looks like a slipcover, so that's what I wrote for time being. So, there's still a chance it's a steelbook as they haven't clarified anything just yet.

#41 Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:52 AM

So is the blu-ray only going to have the 24 fps version of the film? I guess I'm in the minority, but I absolutely loved the 48 fps version, which I saw after seeing the regular IMAX 3D version. Sure, it was a little jarring for the first 15-20 minutes with stuff like old Bilbo's seemingly incredibly fast walking, but after that I was just really amazed at how clear all the action sequences looked, and I also thought a lot of the CGI action, like the stuff in the mines in particular, looked a lot less cartoony in the 48 fps version because of the lower amount of motion blur.

You know, I also think the 20 minutes or so of standard 24 fps trailers shown before the movie also probably made the transition to 48 fps at the start of The Hobbit even more jarring for a lot of people.

Edit: Well from what I've read I guess blu-ray players can't even output in 48 fps. That's lame. You'd think if a PS3 could output games at 60 fps then showing a movie at 48 fps would be a cinch.

Edited by Philip J. Fry, 27 February 2013 - 07:02 AM.

#42 larrythefatcat

larrythefatcat

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:09 PM

So is the blu-ray only going to have the 24 fps version of the film? I guess I'm in the minority, but I absolutely loved the 48 fps version, which I saw after seeing the regular IMAX 3D version. Sure, it was a little jarring for the first 15-20 minutes with stuff like old Bilbo's seemingly incredibly fast walking, but after that I was just really amazed at how clear all the action sequences looked, and I also thought a lot of the CGI action, like the stuff in the mines in particular, looked a lot less cartoony in the 48 fps version because of the lower amount of motion blur.

You know, I also think the 20 minutes or so of standard 24 fps trailers shown before the movie also probably made the transition to 48 fps at the start of The Hobbit even more jarring for a lot of people.

Edit: Well from what I've read I guess blu-ray players can't even output in 48 fps. That's lame. You'd think if a PS3 could output games at 60 fps then showing a movie at 48 fps would be a cinch.

Blu-ray players *can* output in 48 fps... it's called Blu-ray 3D.

So, basically, the only way it would be possible to get a 48 fps version of 'The Hobbit' in a home video format would be some kind of unconventional 2D "Blu-ray 3D" hybrid with one video track being the odd frames and the other being the even frames... which wouldn't work because different TVs process the 3D signal in different ways and there would be issues with half the frames playing at the wrong time (i.e. frame 2 playing before frame 1, frame 4 playing before frame 3, ad infinitum). Nevermind.

#43 iNCREDiPiNOY

iNCREDiPiNOY

This guy is awesome!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:21 AM

Best Buy

http://www.joblo.com...54&d=1362583050

#44 ssjmichael

ssjmichael

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 March 2013 - 04:46 PM

It's a lenticular cover, with both Gollum and Bilbo on it

#45 henry00x

henry00x

Chosen One

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 March 2013 - 07:50 PM

It's a lenticular cover, with both Gollum and Bilbo on it

well damn now im conflicted, i have the steelbook on preorder from amazon uk, but was pondering picking up the walmart digibook too but a lenticular slip is tempting

#46 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:35 PM

Are there any downsides to ordering the Amazon UK version other than getting it way later? Looks like it comes out to $30 shipped, which isn't too bad.

#47 demonlord6696

demonlord6696

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:27 AM

Im just gonna wait for the Extended Edition.
Posted Image

#48 sassylaurie

sassylaurie

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:54 AM

Im just gonna wait for the Extended Edition.

Yep, same here. As I thought about how I purchased each of the LotR movies a total of 3 times, I am actually going to wait for the Hobbit Trilogy (LOL...Hobbit "Trilogy") extended edition in 5 years.

#49 Mako1215

Mako1215

Mr.OneOfWonder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:57 AM

Yep, same here. As I thought about how I purchased each of the LotR movies a total of 3 times, I am actually going to wait for the Hobbit Trilogy (LOL...Hobbit "Trilogy") extended edition in 5 years.

As much as I would like to see it... I'm going to have to do this.

First, how can you claim prior non-existance to devalue a movement? I am sure the civil rights movement would love that. "Well, there was no movement to free the slaves before, so why is it relavent now?"

518793.png

#50 neoz

neoz

I Know Kung Fu

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:45 AM

Posted Imagehttp://forum.blu-ray...ad.php?t=215610

#51 TealPavelski

TealPavelski

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:10 AM

I currently have the Best Buy exclusive, Amazon.UK Steelbook and Amazon.FR Gollum Steelbook pre-ordered. I am a huge LOTR/Hobbit fan, so I gotta have all 3!
607033.png

#52 henry00x

henry00x

Chosen One

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:10 AM

I currently have the Best Buy exclusive, Amazon.UK Steelbook and Amazon.FR Gollum Steelbook pre-ordered. I am a huge LOTR/Hobbit fan, so I gotta have all 3!

you going to pass on the Walmart exclusive digibook?

#53 neoz

neoz

I Know Kung Fu

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:14 AM

For those that pre ordered at WM the Vudu copy is available to stream. :)

#54 gpn

gpn

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 March 2013 - 03:04 PM

For those that pre ordered at WM the Vudu copy is available to stream. :)

I got a notice from Vudu this morning that my Digibook has shipped. :D

#55 Xellos2099

Xellos2099

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:15 PM

MAN really tempting with WBshop $23 3d version.

#56 SMBScooby

SMBScooby

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:35 PM

How much did the France one come out to be in US?

#57 TealPavelski

TealPavelski

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:37 PM

you going to pass on the Walmart exclusive digibook?

I really don't care for the Digibook's.

How much did the France one come out to be in US?

It was around $34 I think. Not too bad. I'm most likely going to keep it mint in package.
607033.png

#58 darthmalice777

darthmalice777

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:21 AM

MAN really tempting with WBshop $23 3d version.

How do you see it for that price? I have the vanilla amazon one ordered that I'll gift once the extended set come out.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#59 Xellos2099

Xellos2099

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:20 AM

Wbshop is doing $5 off all order and preorder.

#60 b3b0p

b3b0p

Where's r0ckst34dy?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:28 AM

I want to finally watch this and buy it, but with extended edtion coming in the fall. I'll have to wait.