2013 Failed Games

eldergamer

CAGiversary!
There's a completed games thread. We also need one for games you have given up on.

January:

[Quantum Conundrum]

Like the game, and the humor, but some of the puzzles required too much split second timing. On some puzzles if you tossed a box incorrectly you messed up the whole solution and had to start over from scratch. And the jumping. There should never be jumping in a first person game.

Outland

Really liked the game and the visuals. But I need an easy mode or cheat code or something to get through this.

February:

Dead Rising 2: Off the Record

Not sure why I picked this up, besides the fact it was $9 on the Playstation store once.
The combat is way too slow and clunky. And the checkpoints are horrid. If I start over from a checkpoint, I need to be restored to full health. Not the puny one square I had when I went through the door. You're making it impossible for me to progress on anything short of a perfect run. This game punishes failure. God forbid if you're not set up correctly before a boss battle. You've just wasted the past hour of your play.

Assassin's Creed III. I wish the entire game was about Haytham. I stopped about the time he was laid off.

Persona 3. I had gotten to a point very near the end and realized I had to do some grinding to continue. Lost interest. Romancing Yukari was the high point though.

[quote name='eldergamer']
Outland

Really liked the game and the visuals. But I need an easy mode or cheat code or something to get through this.[/QUOTE]

I think I stopped when I got to the spider-lair boss battle and never went back. That was over a year ago.

[quote name='Kerig']I think I stopped when I got to the spider-lair boss battle and never went back. That was over a year ago.[/QUOTE]

My failure point is at the Priestess (?) boss battle. I haven't deleted the game because I keep thinking "One day, I'll give it one more try, and then I'll be able to beat her."

I actually got farther than you guys. I'm currently stuck at the flying serpent boss before I put it aside. These multi-stage boss fights make this game more frustrating than it should be.

[quote name='eldergamer']There's a completed games thread. We also need one for games you have given up on.

February:

Dead Rising 2: Off the Record

Not sure why I picked this up, besides the fact it was $9 on the Playstation store once.
The combat is way too slow and clunky. And the checkpoints are horrid. If I start over from a checkpoint, I need to be restored to full health. Not the puny one square I had when I went through the door. You're making it impossible for me to progress on anything short of a perfect run. This game punishes failure. God forbid if you're not set up correctly before a boss battle. You've just wasted the past hour of your play.[/QUOTE]
It's a game that adheres to Japanese gameplay tropes, what do you expect? It's not any different than any of the other DR games. The combat's just fine, you just have to learn how to make the game your bitch.

Outland is hard and overall wasn't that fun, but I did complete it - will probably never play it again.

I never completed LittleBigPlanet (PS3).

[quote name='zeldaking']Outland is hard and overall wasn't that fun, but I did complete it - will probably never play it again.

I never completed LittleBigPlanet (PS3).[/QUOTE]
I did and I can honestly say that it was not worth it. I spent too much time with not enough payoff on that game.

Xenoblade Chronicles. I started off enjoying it, but after a while all of the quests and collectibles and such just felt like work. I'm not a huge fan of the MMO-style battle system either. And Rikki....ugh....

I might give up on Sonic CD (the HD rerelease, via Steam). For some reason, I don't have too much trouble with 3D Sonics so long as they don't contain an especially persistent Camera of Death, but I've never, ever beaten a 2D Sonic, classic or modern. The closest I've come is with Sonic 3D Blast and Sonic Rush; got to the final bosses of both.

There's also Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life, which has gotten pretty boring-- and I normally like Harvest Moon.

Both might be beaten before the end of the year, though, so they aren't true "failed games" yet(?) :razz:

[quote name='CaptainJoel']It's a game that adheres to Japanese gameplay tropes, what do you expect? It's not any different than any of the other DR games. The combat's just fine, you just have to learn how to make the game your bitch.[/QUOTE]

I had played part of the first one but never finished it. The combat and animations seemed really slow, and dodging is done with the analog stick? Too tricky. I need a button.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']I did and I can honestly say that it was not worth it. I spent too much time with not enough payoff on that game.[/QUOTE]

I think I finished 90% of the story stages in Little Big Planet 1, and maybe 5% in Little Big Planet 2.
Fun games, and filled with collectibles, but unless you're totally into the creating side of the game there's no reason for going all the way with it.

[quote name='zeldaking']Outland is hard and overall wasn't that fun, but I did complete it - will probably never play it again.
[/QUOTE]

Same. Loved the Metroidvania feel, but the bullet hell stuff got old fast. But I powered through.

Rayman Origins. Hated the controls--way too many deaths due to inconsistent controls--jump high/far enough one time, not the next, keep running after jumping from one platform to another one time, not the next etc.

I was pretty close to the end, but was just getting pissed off and not having fun so I deleted it off the HD and moved on. Platformers just aren't my cup of tea any more in general, so I won't be buying any more. Took my Wii to Goodwill over the weekend as the only unplayed games I was thinking of picking up still were a couple of platformers.

For me The Witcher 2 because I had one of the main quests glitch and was a good part into the second chapter. I can't continue from where I and I have a hard time replaying most games again for me it is usually one and done or to just stop playing. Skyrim is on the same boat and it's a shame because I love both games.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']I did and I can honestly say that it was not worth it. I spent too much time with not enough payoff on that game.[/QUOTE]

I don't understand all the hate, but I personally was expecting more CV: SotN and got the bastard child of it and Ikaruga, while not bad, not as good as the originals.

I did end up beating it, after being away about 2-3 months, the end boss pissed me off, plus it took me that long to devise the strategy needed to win, sadly.

My List

Skyrim - 80 hours in I just gave up, still can't be bothered to go back and with all of the optional quests I was like 5-6 missions into the main quest, yeah...too much damn content in that game, plus it felt too much like Oblivion, and Fallout 3 and New Vegas (pretty much every Bethesda game in the last 5 years)

Borderlands - Quit originally cause I thought it sucked, picked it back up 2 years later (late last year) not as bad as I thought, then haven't touched it since, who knows if I'll ever finish it.

Pokepark 2 - Got it last week, played about 6-7 hours got that Poke-fever back, hope to finish it, but too much to do, nice game, even though it's aimed at kids.

Patchwork Heroes - this game needs to be taken in small doses since you have to be a perfectionist with it, I love it and the challenge, but I've been playing it off and on for 2 years now, nothing wrong with it, maybe it's just me. :lol:

Trinity Soul's of Zill'Ol - when my fat PS3 died in 2011 I was in the middle of playing this, I only managed get a save file a few weeks older than it backed up, sadly by the time my PS3 refurb arrived, I lost all interest in playing it again, which sucks because it's a really freakin' awesome action RPG.

There's more, but those are the big ones, that keep on whispering to me to finish off now and again, and maybe one of these days I actually might. :lol:

Outland is on the list for me as well - I didn't have much trouble until the final boss, but then I decided F it. All the videos I have seen have players totally leveled up and still barely beat the bitches.

I wasn't about to go back and get the rest of the power ups just to beat the final boss(es).

Since it was a free PS+ game I don't feel too bad about not finishing it.

Dead Island - I enjoyed the game for about 30 minutes and then the bugs, gameplay, setting and voice acting all began to annoy me. And there is also the fact that it's Borderlands with zombies. I doubt I will ever go back to it.

Spec Ops: The Line - Mediocre story, very poorly written narrative and boring premise. I might go back to it just to beat it, but that depends on how bored I get with other games.

[quote name='snakemaster2389']why no mention of Aliens? that is total fail x10[/QUOTE]

Because it hasn't come down in price yet. ;) This is CAG remember. :lol:

Lego Batman
PixelJunk Eden
Oblivion
Catherine
Assassin's Creed III
Aliens: Colonial Marines

I finished the story missions for LittleBigPlanet 1 and 2 (mostly done via co-op), but didn't go for all the trophies. Wayyy too much to do.

Correct, and an important distinction.

The point of the thread is games YOU failed to COMPLETE. Not games that are failures in of themselves.

This is a funny thread considering what I'm currently doing is going through all of my failed games and trying to complete them.

Assassins Creed 3- I adore the series but I don't feel that this 1 has enough stuff and it's too easy to be spotted. This coupled with all of the bugs and glitches that I have experienced I just don't have the drive to beat it.

Kingdoms of Amalur - I love the battle system in this game, mostly because I love dynasty Warriors, but the question in this game is just plain boring. I love MMO games and I love RPG's but this game makes me fall asleep.

Skyrim - I also love the Elder Scrolls games but for some reason around 90 hours in I didn't have the heart to finish this. I will be completing this this year.

1 more game to add and it's completely my fault, but I'm having a hard time getting into persona 4 on the Vita but most likely because I played so much persona 3 I'm a little burnt out.

I have waaay too many to mention here, but one that's been bugging me is inFamous 2.

The first game was super repetitive but I made it through. I don't know why I thought the 2nd one would be much better, but seeing a couple of CAG opinions made me give it a chance.

It's practically the same exact thing so far, but the setting is even uglier than before. They couldn't come up with more interesting sidequests? Why spam the same exact tasks over and over?

If anyone here has something to say about it, though, let me know.

Outland for me as well, the flashy graphics got my attention. Played it for all of 20min and quit. Just didn't hold my interest.

FFXIII, First Final Fantasy game since 7, and now I remember why 7 was my first and last. Just can't get into the turn based combat.

To be honest, I'm getting sick of Spec Ops: The Line. Between the monotonous kill tons of soldiers and the relatively mediocre gameplay, it is making it tough to get through the game. It doesn't help that I don't normally do military shooters.

[quote name='ID2006']I have waaay too many to mention here, but one that's been bugging me is inFamous 2.

The first game was super repetitive but I made it through. I don't know why I thought the 2nd one would be much better, but seeing a couple of CAG opinions made me give it a chance.

It's practically the same exact thing so far, but the setting is even uglier than before. They couldn't come up with more interesting sidequests? Why spam the same exact tasks over and over?

If anyone here has something to say about it, though, let me know.[/QUOTE]

The graphics are improved and the town looks better, but the side missions are still repetitive. Although not quite as much as the first one.
The mystery aspect from the second is definitely missing though. (How'd I get these powers? Where'd they come from? What's going on? etc etc)

[quote name='WormFOODx']This is a funny thread considering what I'm currently doing is going through all of my failed games and trying to complete them.

Skyrim - I also love the Elder Scrolls games but for some reason around 90 hours in I didn't have the heart to finish this. I will be completing this this year.[/QUOTE]

Nice to know I'm not the only one who hasn't finished this game yet, as I said on the last page, there is literally too much stuff to do in it, and it drains you to the point to where you just don't want to touch it again let alone play any DLC for it.

I think after playing two hours of SpaceMarine last night (a game that's as generic as it's name) was enough for me to realize I don't need to play any more of it.

PixelJunk Eden - got to the gravity flip world and it just zapped the fun right out of the game. PS3 died, got a replacement Slim and lost my save. Played a bit of the early levels again but I know I'm never gonna finish.

Echochrome - Game was hard as hell after a few levels and like above, lost my save, so fuck it.

Crackdown 2 - what an abomination of a game. Played it for a few hours mostly Orb hunting but the missions were garbage. The nighttime zombie shit was garbage. The game was just garbage.

I just remembered another one I didn't beat this year: Crayon Physics Deluxe. I accidentally deleted my save (which had 101 stars collected; I was pretty close to the end) merely by clicking on "New Game". Wasn't given any warning or anything, and of course, you can only have one save at a time.

After that happened, I said, "fuck you, game" and moved on. I'm not touching that thing ever again.

[quote name='GhostShark']Spec Ops: The Line - Mediocre story, very poorly written narrative and boring premise. I might go back to it just to beat it, but that depends on how bored I get with other games.[/QUOTE]

That's probably one that you need to finish before you judge it. It was actually the story that garnered that game so much praise.

For me, it's FFXIII. I played about 10 hours of that game when it released, then I slowly got back into it about a year later. After about a solid 2 weeks of playing it I finally reached the last boss... And then I never picked it up again. I never even tried it, just got into other things and it fell off the radar. And now, about 6 months ago my PS3 got the YLOD, so yeah... I don't think I'll ever play that one again. :lol:

I do plan on beating it one day, but how can the story be garnered? Maybe if it came out before the days of Calladuty/Battlefield of Duty/every other military FPS out there, perhaps. The only exemplary thing the game had going for it was the voice acting, but that can only take a turd of a script so far.

[quote name='GhostShark']I do plan on beating it one day, but how can the story be garnered? Maybe if it came out before the days of Calladuty/Battlefield of Duty/every other military FPS out there, perhaps. The only exemplary thing the game had going for it was the voice acting, but that can only take a turd of a script so far.[/QUOTE]

It turns out to be not your generic military type of story... That's all I'll say. I'm not saying that it was a game-changer or anything personally, but I did enjoy it a lot more than your typical realistic military style shooter. Come to think of it, I don't think I actually completed any game like that this generation. Heh.

Was going through my Playstation Plus IGC.

Found Closure and Tomb Raider Underworld (from 2011!).
Didn't care much for either. Tomb Raider Underworld was a real turd.

[quote name='Corvin']

Crackdown 2 - what an abomination of a game. Played it for a few hours mostly Orb hunting but the missions were garbage. The nighttime zombie shit was garbage. The game was just garbage.[/QUOTE]

What did you think of Crackdown 1?

Lords of Shadow may join this list. I'm on chapter 5 or 6 of 12 and I'm losing my desire to continue down this linear path.

Sleeping Dogs. I just didn't enjoy it.

Dragon's Dogma. I don't feel like running for several hours. Traveling shouldn't be a chore in games.

Unbound Saga. It was $1 but I can see why. I'm on the second to last mission so I'll probably finish it one day.

Game of Thrones. I've loved the books forever, and enjoy the show, but getting through this game is like work. The story is interesting and well-told, enough so that I wish there was a novelization, because I don't know if I'll be able to get through the drudgery that is the actual gameplay.

bread's done
Back