Metroid: Other M, $4.99 'New', $3.99 Used @ Gamestop

Billytwoshoes

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
Just a heads up for those who haven't taken advantage of the dozen or so sales last year, Gamestop just dropped their new and used prices by five bucks. It says new is online only, but I'm pretty sure this will be in effect in-store, though more than likely they will be gutted copies.

I bought this game last year for $5, and I'd say I definitely got my money's worth, just as long as you can overlook the flaws (which are mostly exaggerated IMO).

I'd take this over a Subway sandwich any day, just to get that out of the way.

Now when they say "Other M", the first M they're referring to is a Meatball Marinara Sub.

people like to rag about gamestop but they have alot of current gen games for under 10$ which is great if you need some filler to play untill a big release comes out. just yesturday i got a new red faction armageddon for 5.99 with the dlc code unused :D

People talk a lot of s**t about this game but I found it very enjoyable (also loved the Prime trilogy), for this price it's definitely worth trying at very little risk.

[quote name='Arcademode']I love how the word "new" is in quotes.[/QUOTE]
haha, agreed. Oh OP, you so clever.

Best Buy and Target Price Matches GameStop right? There were no more copies when I went in.

[quote name='Namurashi']haha, agreed. Oh OP, you so clever.

Best Buy and Target Price Matches GameStop right? There were no more copies when I went in.[/QUOTE]Yup, as long as you can show proof of the new price.

[quote name='irishsoccermbw']Cheap club nintendo coins and white wii case.

In for 1.[/QUOTE]

From Gamestop, you might not get CN points on "new" Nintendo games.

I know this game has been widely derided, but most complaints I've heard have been centered around "ruining the character" of Samus. That's a downer, but I'm not really one to get butthurt about that sort of thing. Is the actual gameplay any good?

[quote name='BustaUppa']I know this game has been widely derided, but most complaints I've heard have been centered around "ruining the character" of Samus. That's a downer, but I'm not really one to get butthurt about that sort of thing. Is the actual gameplay any good?[/QUOTE]

This is exactly what I'll like to know. I want a good shooter for my Wii.

1.Laughs out loud @ 'New'
2.Reads thread
3.Checks GS.com for location/s In Stock
4. "Wait"
5.Checks collection for Other M
6.Other M Already in "collection of games I don't have a console for, yet"
7.#-o

So when you say "New", there's a chance it won't really be New? Because I do want to buy Other M while it's that cheap.

this game isn't nearly as bad as everyone says it is. It's definitely no Metroid Prime or Super Metroid, but c'mon, be realisitc with your expectations. It's a totally decent game. Worth $5 AT LEAST.

Too bad it's out of stock online. I would have gladly paid $5 for a new-ish disc and a shitty, torn-apart used case.

edit: Not being sarcastic. Even though that's what they probably would've shipped me, I'd still buy it at $5.

[quote name='BustaUppa']I know this game has been widely derided, but most complaints I've heard have been centered around "ruining the character" of Samus. That's a downer, but I'm not really one to get butthurt about that sort of thing. Is the actual gameplay any good?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Vap']This is exactly what I'll like to know. I want a good shooter for my Wii.[/QUOTE]

The gameplay is Very simple due to the fact that you're just using the wiimote, but personally, I enjoyed it.

I actually picked this up a few days ago used for 3.99 on a rare trip to GameStop. Also picked up used copies of MadWorld and Resistance 1 for 2.99 each, and Muramasa for 8.99 used. I figured all those were worth trying for those prices, and none in too shabby shape. I also saw a few used copies of Metroid Prime 3 for 4.99 that I passed on since none of them had the real cases, and Sin and Punishment for something like 7.99 used. Anyway, looks like it might finally be time to start picking up some games for my Wii that I have mostly been playing GameCube games on for the past 6 years.

[quote name='DK745']So when you say "New", there's a chance it won't really be New? Because I do want to buy Other M while it's that cheap.[/QUOTE]

Any copy in a store marked as new is going to be gutted, meaning the game was opened and the disc put in a sleeve while the case went out on the floor.

[quote name='Philip J. Fry']I actually picked this up a few days ago used for 3.99 on a rare trip to GameStop. Also picked up used copies of MadWorld and Resistance 1 for 2.99 each, and Muramasa for 8.99 used. I figured all those were worth trying for those prices, and none in too shabby shape. I also saw a few used copies of Metroid Prime 3 for 4.99 that I passed on since none of them had the real cases, and Sin and Punishment for something like 7.99 used. Anyway, looks like it might finally be time to start picking up some games for my Wii that I have mostly been playing GameCube games on for the past 6 years.[/QUOTE]

Muramasa for 9 used? Damn might go see if I can get a copy then I've been wanting that game for my wii.

Other M's problems go well beyond the "ruining Samus" complaints.

-no exploration until you beat the game
-doesn't have the normal atmosphere of a Metroid since you're basically grouped with people the whole game
-bad art design choices (Zero Suit high heels, "Gravity Suit can't be blue because Samus is orange!")
-many basic story elements are just dumb (suit-authorization, many spoiler-y things)
-too much dialogue, would be OK but it's mostly bad
-WHERE'S WALDO segments
-combat is too easy due to infinite missiles
-actually using missiles is terrible
-no support for Nunchuck causes awkward controls for a few things
-dodge mechanic makes it very hard to die, and gets old pretty quickly
-can't skip cutscenes even on second playthrough

Things that were good:
-cutscenes look nice for Wii
-lead to a Metroid stage in DoA
-hopefully it showed Nintendo they shouldn't give Sakamoto too much control on future games.

Hardcore Metroid fans should avoid, but it's hard because Metroid gets way fewer games than most other Nintendo stuff. Judging it as a game, not as a Metroid, I'd probably give it a 5/10. Nothing stands out about it. As a Metroid I'd give it a 3 or so, easily the worst of the series.

I think it was a solid game. I went in thinking it was going to be the worst game ever and I liked it quite a bit actually. Not anywhere near as good as the Metroid Prime games, but I liked it and it was definitely worth a buy. Absolutely worth $4.99 new.

[quote name='SIX min WHISTLE']Other M's problems go well beyond the "ruining Samus" complaints.

-no exploration until you beat the game
-doesn't have the normal atmosphere of a Metroid since you're basically grouped with people the whole game
-bad art design choices (Zero Suit high heels, "Gravity Suit can't be blue because Samus is orange!")
-many basic story elements are just dumb (suit-authorization, many spoiler-y things)
-too much dialogue, would be OK but it's mostly bad
-WHERE'S WALDO segments
-combat is too easy due to infinite missiles
-actually using missiles is terrible
-no support for Nunchuck causes awkward controls for a few things
-dodge mechanic makes it very hard to die, and gets old pretty quickly
-can't skip cutscenes even on second playthrough

Things that were good:
-cutscenes look nice for Wii
-lead to a Metroid stage in DoA
-hopefully it showed Nintendo they shouldn't give Sakamoto too much control on future games.

Hardcore Metroid fans should avoid, but it's hard because Metroid gets way fewer games than most other Nintendo stuff. Judging it as a game, not as a Metroid, I'd probably give it a 5/10. Nothing stands out about it. As a Metroid I'd give it a 3 or so, easily the worst of the series.[/QUOTE]

I for one enjoyed Other M's gameplay and found it very similar to the Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion. 7/10, not perfect and weird story choices but good classic Metroid fun and great effort.

I thought the atmosphere was much closer to Super Metroid era games than the Prime shooters. Also, I agree with your point on the story elements and suit authorization being clunky, but... when has Metroid been about story? "Oh noes, all the cool parts of my suit I had in the last game are spread across this space station / small section of planet / cave system *yet again,* and I need to navigate it in an obtuse way to gather it all together." The biggest sin there was that they tried to find a way to get that mess to make sense rather than just ignoring it like all other Metroid games.

I personally think the Metroid games hardcore fans should avoid are the Prime series. Get your crappy FPS genre out of my metroidvania exploration game.

[quote name='Philip J. Fry']I actually picked this up a few days ago used for 3.99 on a rare trip to GameStop. Also picked up used copies of MadWorld and Resistance 1 for 2.99 each, and Muramasa for 8.99 used. I figured all those were worth trying for those prices, and none in too shabby shape. I also saw a few used copies of Metroid Prime 3 for 4.99 that I passed on since none of them had the real cases, and Sin and Punishment for something like 7.99 used. Anyway, looks like it might finally be time to start picking up some games for my Wii that I have mostly been playing GameCube games on for the past 6 years.[/QUOTE]

Definitily try and find a good coply of MP3. It's really good, and personally my favorite of the trilogy. I'd also recommend trying the Trauma Center series, I picked up the DS remake and really like it so far:) Oh, and I wonder if any of you know about this The Cover Project. I used it to print out covers for some games I got that didn't have them. I think if your only paying a couple bucks, it's not the worst way to do it.

Will have to pick up used to save my .40 cents. Good thing my kids like the magazine b/c I'm never making my $15 back.

Whenever I think of Other M, I just think of Morgan Webb's bile-filled review from X-Play. I don't think I've ever heard her so angry over a game.

Walked into my local GS today and asked if they had one, manager says "Yea, computer says I have one" He starts looking for it in the nearly empty drawer of WII games and says he can't find it. I point to it and say it's right there in the case. He pulls it out and lo and behold, it's a sealed copy. Went ahead and scooped it up :D
Oh yeah, I opened it too. Cause sealed game collecting is silly.

[quote name='Kerig']Now when they say "Other M", the first M they're referring to is a Meatball Marinara Sub.[/QUOTE]

I thought the other M was a W, just upside-down.

[quote name='Green Card200']Thanks, placed an order for pickup.[/QUOTE]

I would have done that, but when I looked up info on the pickup it says you pay the in-store price, and the price for New says Online Only. Guess I could always try it used but I've seen it new for $10 elsewhere.

This game is worth every penny. I paid $10 for it new and have no regrets. People piss and moan about it ruining the Samus character -- but get real, up until Metroid: Other M, she was barely a character to begin with. We knew hardly anything about her and she never said a word. Other M filled in a great back story and finally gave her a personality. I enjoyed this more than the Prime games, which diverged from the sidescroller style of the older Metroid titles; Other M is like an updated Super Metroid. If I want a first person shooter, I'll play Halo. Not Prime.

[quote name='apterous']I for one enjoyed Other M's gameplay and found it very similar to the Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion. 7/10, not perfect and weird story choices but good classic Metroid fun and great effort.

I thought the atmosphere was much closer to Super Metroid era games than the Prime shooters. Also, I agree with your point on the story elements and suit authorization being clunky, but... when has Metroid been about story? "Oh noes, all the cool parts of my suit I had in the last game are spread across this space station / small section of planet / cave system *yet again,* and I need to navigate it in an obtuse way to gather it all together." The biggest sin there was that they tried to find a way to get that mess to make sense rather than just ignoring it like all other Metroid games.

I personally think the Metroid games hardcore fans should avoid are the Prime series. Get your crappy FPS genre out of my metroidvania exploration game.[/QUOTE]

We'll just have to agree to disagree. I thought the Prime game did a great job of translating the "feel" of Metroid to first person, and it doesn't play like a traditional FPS for the most part, with a lot of platforming and puzzles. As for your story point, that's a double-edged sword. Yeah, it wasn't a focus before beyond basic lore stuff, so it SHOULDN'T matter what they did, but they made Other M very story heavy and it was just terrible. The way Fusion handled a more story-focused game should have been emulated instead of so many long cutscenes and THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY.

As for gameplay, it just isn't as tight as the controls of Super, Fusion, and Zero Mission, the overall level and boss design is lacking, and the lack of exploration options really killed it.

this game is only good if u r "poor"gamer and the only game u can play r game u get 4 free from charietey. if u come from normel income hosehold then buy a real game like metrod prie tirlogy on the wii it has 3 good game in 1 not 1 crap game in 1.

[quote name='Ecliastee']Got mine today, it was actually brand new. It was sealed.[/QUOTE]
I'm happy to see that some people are getting actual sealed copies, though I guess the print run was high enough that some Gamestops only had to sacrifice one of their games for the shelf.

I'm still sticking with my quotes though.

[quote name='Green Card200']Were these converted to used? Put one on hold and had someone pick it up for me and they said it was $3.99.[/QUOTE]

Most of them got converted to used the first day they came out. ;)

Thanks OP! I just picked up a "new" copy yesterday. Case was gutted and in fair condition, manual was in excellent condition, and the Nintendo Club code was inside. Haven't checked to see if it has been redeemed yet. No skin off my nose either way.

When you buy something "new" from Gamestop, do make sure you check the condition of your disc before you pay. In my experience, they always seem to try to put the disc in the case and proceed to check you out without even asking if you want to see it. And that is exactly what happened to me this time again.

I checked out the first disc he put in the case and it was fairly scuffed up, not new by any means. I mentioned that this was supposed to be a new copy and he said the disc was in fact new (coolstorybro.jpg) and that it was just opened up so they could display the case on the wall. I told him I wasn't paying new price unless I was getting a better looking disc. He fumbled around a bit and pulled out another disc. This disc was luckily in excellent condition and then I promptly told him to ring me up.

So, if you're going to buy "new" or used from Gamestop always make sure to check your disc before you pay. Kind of obvious, but worth mentioning.

Definitely don't let Gamestop employees bully you into a purchase. I've had several guys tell me my product was "new never been opened" when I could look inside the case and see fingerprints on the device. Then the guy had the nerve to say "well then don't buy it."

I got lucky the other day and snagged Metroid: Other M sealed at the fourth Gamestop I went to though.

[quote name='Billytwoshoes']I'm happy to see that some people are getting actual sealed copies, though I guess the print run was high enough that some Gamestops only had to sacrifice one of their games for the shelf.

I'm still sticking with my quotes though.[/QUOTE]

My gamestop only opens one copy and keeps the rest sealed.

bread's done
Back