Metroid: Other M, $4.99 'New', $3.99 Used @ Gamestop

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#31 batman1939

batman1939

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:53 PM

I have it sealed at my house but might get a "new" copy at Gamestop. At least I won't have to open it.

#32 Eye Carumba

Eye Carumba

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:55 PM

Whenever I think of Other M, I just think of Morgan Webb's bile-filled review from X-Play. I don't think I've ever heard her so angry over a game.

#33 Kidorangepanda

Kidorangepanda

Arcade PCB Addict

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:08 PM

Walked into my local GS today and asked if they had one, manager says "Yea, computer says I have one" He starts looking for it in the nearly empty drawer of WII games and says he can't find it. I point to it and say it's right there in the case. He pulls it out and lo and behold, it's a sealed copy. Went ahead and scooped it up :D
Oh yeah, I opened it too. Cause sealed game collecting is silly.
Sell me your Candy Cabs!

#34 morrodox

morrodox

Hedonistic Iconoclast

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:15 PM

Now when they say "Other M", the first M they're referring to is a Meatball Marinara Sub.

I thought the other M was a W, just upside-down.

#35 Green Card200

Green Card200

The Time Mage

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:28 PM

Thanks, placed an order for pickup.

Currently Playing -  :pc: Divinity II: Developer's Cut

Recently Completed -    :pc: Game of Thrones 6/29    :pc: Dark Souls PTD (Replay) 7/4  :pc: F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin 7/7   :pc: F.E.A.R. 2: Reborn 7/12

#36 DK745

DK745

Streets Ahead

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:43 PM

Thanks, placed an order for pickup.

I would have done that, but when I looked up info on the pickup it says you pay the in-store price, and the price for New says Online Only. Guess I could always try it used but I've seen it new for $10 elsewhere.

#37 SolidSnake86

SolidSnake86

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:28 PM

This game is worth every penny. I paid $10 for it new and have no regrets. People piss and moan about it ruining the Samus character -- but get real, up until Metroid: Other M, she was barely a character to begin with. We knew hardly anything about her and she never said a word. Other M filled in a great back story and finally gave her a personality. I enjoyed this more than the Prime games, which diverged from the sidescroller style of the older Metroid titles; Other M is like an updated Super Metroid. If I want a first person shooter, I'll play Halo. Not Prime.

#38 benjamouth

benjamouth

It's a Bobby Dazzler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:14 PM

Thanks OP, picked up a converted new to used copy for $4, figured it was worth a go at that price.

MST3K.gif

the+Woodmeister.pngr3jm5K2gQUCv3J-E0gqcBQ2.gif

#39 CaoPi

CaoPi

KOEI fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:22 PM

store had the gutted copy, was suppose to be a gift for someone, F************* that

MY TRADE LIST ------ (pictures included)

#40 camelking6969

camelking6969

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:26 PM

Didnt want to,make a new thread, but all the psp games are buy one get 50 percent off
[url=ign.com]

#41 SIX min WHISTLE

SIX min WHISTLE

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:05 AM

I for one enjoyed Other M's gameplay and found it very similar to the Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion. 7/10, not perfect and weird story choices but good classic Metroid fun and great effort.

I thought the atmosphere was much closer to Super Metroid era games than the Prime shooters. Also, I agree with your point on the story elements and suit authorization being clunky, but... when has Metroid been about story? "Oh noes, all the cool parts of my suit I had in the last game are spread across this space station / small section of planet / cave system *yet again,* and I need to navigate it in an obtuse way to gather it all together." The biggest sin there was that they tried to find a way to get that mess to make sense rather than just ignoring it like all other Metroid games.

I personally think the Metroid games hardcore fans should avoid are the Prime series. Get your crappy FPS genre out of my metroidvania exploration game.

We'll just have to agree to disagree. I thought the Prime game did a great job of translating the "feel" of Metroid to first person, and it doesn't play like a traditional FPS for the most part, with a lot of platforming and puzzles. As for your story point, that's a double-edged sword. Yeah, it wasn't a focus before beyond basic lore stuff, so it SHOULDN'T matter what they did, but they made Other M very story heavy and it was just terrible. The way Fusion handled a more story-focused game should have been emulated instead of so many long cutscenes and THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY.

As for gameplay, it just isn't as tight as the controls of Super, Fusion, and Zero Mission, the overall level and boss design is lacking, and the lack of exploration options really killed it.

#42 Ecliastee

Ecliastee

CAG Veteran

• CAG Veteran

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:32 AM

Got mine today, it was actually brand new. It was sealed.

#43 Billytwoshoes

Billytwoshoes

Perpetually behind the times

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:04 AM

Got mine today, it was actually brand new. It was sealed.

I'm happy to see that some people are getting actual sealed copies, though I guess the print run was high enough that some Gamestops only had to sacrifice one of their games for the shelf.

I'm still sticking with my quotes though.

#44 Green Card200

Green Card200

The Time Mage

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:42 PM

Were these converted to used? Put one on hold and had someone pick it up for me and they said it was $3.99.

Currently Playing -  :pc: Divinity II: Developer's Cut

Recently Completed -    :pc: Game of Thrones 6/29    :pc: Dark Souls PTD (Replay) 7/4  :pc: F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin 7/7   :pc: F.E.A.R. 2: Reborn 7/12

#45 SmokeMaxX

SmokeMaxX

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:46 PM

Were these converted to used? Put one on hold and had someone pick it up for me and they said it was $3.99.

Most of them got converted to used the first day they came out. ;)

#46 Enigmatticus

Enigmatticus

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:33 PM

Thanks OP! I just picked up a "new" copy yesterday. Case was gutted and in fair condition, manual was in excellent condition, and the Nintendo Club code was inside. Haven't checked to see if it has been redeemed yet. No skin off my nose either way.

When you buy something "new" from Gamestop, do make sure you check the condition of your disc before you pay. In my experience, they always seem to try to put the disc in the case and proceed to check you out without even asking if you want to see it. And that is exactly what happened to me this time again.

I checked out the first disc he put in the case and it was fairly scuffed up, not new by any means. I mentioned that this was supposed to be a new copy and he said the disc was in fact new (coolstorybro.jpg) and that it was just opened up so they could display the case on the wall. I told him I wasn't paying new price unless I was getting a better looking disc. He fumbled around a bit and pulled out another disc. This disc was luckily in excellent condition and then I promptly told him to ring me up.

So, if you're going to buy "new" or used from Gamestop always make sure to check your disc before you pay. Kind of obvious, but worth mentioning.

#47 SmokeMaxX

SmokeMaxX

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:57 PM

Definitely don't let Gamestop employees bully you into a purchase. I've had several guys tell me my product was "new never been opened" when I could look inside the case and see fingerprints on the device. Then the guy had the nerve to say "well then don't buy it."

I got lucky the other day and snagged Metroid: Other M sealed at the fourth Gamestop I went to though.

#48 Cmw7290

Cmw7290

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:03 PM

I'm happy to see that some people are getting actual sealed copies, though I guess the print run was high enough that some Gamestops only had to sacrifice one of their games for the shelf.

I'm still sticking with my quotes though.

My gamestop only opens one copy and keeps the rest sealed.

#49 CaoPi

CaoPi

KOEI fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:28 PM

they sure don't

MY TRADE LIST ------ (pictures included)

#50 SmokeMaxX

SmokeMaxX

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:49 PM

Most do this, but I bought 5 of one game "new" for $1 each (for their codes) and only 1 was sealed.

#51 Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:22 AM

Definitily try and find a good coply of MP3. It's really good, and personally my favorite of the trilogy. I'd also recommend trying the Trauma Center series, I picked up the DS remake and really like it so far:) Oh, and I wonder if any of you know about this The Cover Project. I used it to print out covers for some games I got that didn't have them. I think if your only paying a couple bucks, it's not the worst way to do it.

After checking at a few stores this week, I actually found a copy of MP3 at GS today with the case and manual. Except, I went up to buy it and the clerk couldn't find the disc. "Someone must have sold it without the case" he said. Next store I go to I will probably just find the manual on sale with no disc OR case.

I've actually seen Trauma Center Second Opinion a couple places for around 10 bucks. Should I snag the next copy I see for that much? Not seen any of the other Wii ones.

#52 Enuf

Enuf

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:00 AM

people like to rag about gamestop but they have alot of current gen games for under 10$ which is great if you need some filler to play untill a big release comes out. just yesturday i got a new red faction armageddon for 5.99 with the dlc code unused :D

I'm surprised this & sin & punishment aren't in everyone collection from super cheap deals or clearance. Hell, I got Other M from BB for $5 along with the $10 savings code.

#53 Desousa93

Desousa93

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:02 AM

This is exactly what I'll like to know. I want a good shooter for my Wii.

It's Not shooter. It's a fun game absolutely worth 5$.

#54 Desousa93

Desousa93

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:06 AM

After checking at a few stores this week, I actually found a copy of MP3 at GS today with the case and manual. Except, I went up to buy it and the clerk couldn't find the disc. "Someone must have sold it without the case" he said. Next store I go to I will probably just find the manual on sale with no disc OR case.

I've actually seen Trauma Center Second Opinion a couple places for around 10 bucks. Should I snag the next copy I see for that much? Not seen any of the other Wii ones.

Did you take the case. I always and they saw sure. Got a blacklabel Kingdom Hearts manual and case in good condition for free. Combine that with my gf's copy of KH, Boom complete.

#55 ritchardf

ritchardf

add ritchardf on psn and xbox live

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:48 PM

i think it depends on how many of their employees want to take it home and play before they sell it, this must not have been a popular game among gamestop employees :lol:

#56 Schildkrote

Schildkrote

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:34 PM

So when you say "New", there's a chance it won't really be New? Because I do want to buy Other M while it's that cheap.

Gamestop games are rarely actually "new" by most people's definition of the term. Employees are allowed to "rent" the games, take them home and play them, and then return them to stock and sell them as "new" when they're actually most definitely used. They also have a tendency to open games and gut them, setting the manual/dlc codes/etc aside, so in a way that still makes the game used.

If you care about that sort of thing then either ensure that copies you get are shrinkwrapped or don't shop for new games at Gamestop.

#57 matrix9280

matrix9280

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2013 - 05:41 PM

We'll just have to agree to disagree. I thought the Prime game did a great job of translating the "feel" of Metroid to first person, and it doesn't play like a traditional FPS for the most part, with a lot of platforming and puzzles. As for your story point, that's a double-edged sword. Yeah, it wasn't a focus before beyond basic lore stuff, so it SHOULDN'T matter what they did, but they made Other M very story heavy and it was just terrible. The way Fusion handled a more story-focused game should have been emulated instead of so many long cutscenes and THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY.

As for gameplay, it just isn't as tight as the controls of Super, Fusion, and Zero Mission, the overall level and boss design is lacking, and the lack of exploration options really killed it.

Gunpei Yokoi is rolling in his grave as a result of what the Metroid series has become.