NEXT GEN: 1,2, or all the consoles?

jkam

CAGiversary!
Feedback
258 (100%)
With way too many games to play and not enough time I've been contemplating sticking to one platform for the next gen. Currently I feel with the PS3 and VITA I'm getting a lot of value out of PS+. I'm actually thinking of going PS4 only, but obviously with the next Xbox details yet to be announced this isn't a decision I'm making yet.

One of the reasons I'm considering going to one platform is because it seems to make sense to dive in head first into one ecosystem. This obviously becomes harder for us as gamers because of exclusives but even those seem to be diminishing.

I currently own all 3 this gen Wii, PS3, XBOX 360 as well as a gaming PC but not sure I want to travel the same road moving forward. There are just too many games at this point. To be honest I care little about the platform as most of my purchases have always been "game" driven.

I never thought I'd be saying it but I'm starting to kind of wish there was a 1 platform future. Thoughts?

I run a pretty strong PC right now and have moved most of my gaming habits towards that. Unless there is a strong lineup at a good price, I can't see myself going to the next gen for quite some time. I have far too many games that I have no time to play now as is.

[quote name='j-cart']Missing the option "I already have next gen aka PC"[/QUOTE]

:wall: knew I was forgetting something, can't seem to edit it in, doh!

[quote name='mtxbass1']Unless there is a strong lineup at a good price, I can't see myself going to the next gen for quite some time. I have far too many games that I have no time to play now as is.[/QUOTE]
^ Pretty much this. Right now, I need to upgrade my desktop machine, and also get a 3DS of some kind, but otherwise, I'll be set for a good long while.

I also want to get a PS3 once I'm finally done with my PS2 backlog, so I can play certain exclusives that came out for that system.

So yeah, sitting out the next console generation until I have less of a backlog and there's a good number of exclusive games I must play.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='j-cart']With the PS4 using x86 and the next xbox as well, PC games are most likely going to become the lead platform.[/QUOTE]

Yeah true. I'm thinking it might take a year or two for it to flip flop in that favor though. Not everyone's gaming rig is an eight core DDR5 machine yet. Mine included. Or maybe that is the incentive to upgrade.

PC here.

As a fan of a few of their older consoles, I'm more interested in how Nintendo's doing (and hoping they succeed despite themselves) than I am actually owning their latest and greatest console. I may get a WIIU, who knows. It'll be a few years away, if it happens.

It will mostly depend on the games for me. I know I'll get a Wii-U because Pikmin 3 isn't going to show up on any other platform (as well as Bayonetta 2 and The Wonderful 101 most likely). As for everything else, I can play things on my PC for now, and unless something like a new Metal Gear comes out on PS4, I'm in no hurry to get one. So who knows, maybe I'll have all 3 of them eventually, but it'll all come down to exclusives. If the next Xbox is anything like the last 3 or so years of the 360, I'd have no issues passing on it.

[quote name='The Crotch']Will probably get a Wii U after it goes through a price drop. PC for everything else.[/QUOTE]

Most likely this. I like what I've played of the Wii U, and I don't see anyone else putting out something so compelling that I would want it. Given my entertainment cabinet has no more room for consoles, BC is a must, and Wii U is the only one offering it. The PS2 and PS3 will last me a long time before I'm done with them.

In the meantime, I have a ton of PC gaming to do.

One if any.

I just don't game enough to justify multple consoles. I only had a 360 for most of this gen and that was my happiest gaming time as I was mostly able to take my time with the AAA games.

I ended up getting a Wii and PS3 when my xbox live account was hacked and locked for months in fall 2011/winter 2012 and have again built a small back log and feel a little overwhelmed with clearing out games.

I don't plan on buying any consoles at launch as I've got plenty of this gen stuff to clear out. Once that's done and there's been a price drop or two I'll decide if I want a next-gen machine at all, and if so which one.

Most likely I'd go with the next X-box. The 360 gets by far the most play from me since that's what my friends game on, I like that control the best by far, and I like Gears and Halo more than any Sony exclusives. Nintendo I'm just done with as I've long been sick of their franchise games.

Anyway, voted 1 in the poll as I figure I'll mostly likely eventually ended up with the next Xbox. I have a hard time seeing totally dropping gaming, vs. just cutting back an only playing the few AAA shooters and WRPGs that interest me each year.

Probably just one. As much as I would love to start PC gaming, it's somewhat intimidating and too costly up front compared to a console. Though if the Steambox comes out and is everything it's talked up to be...

But PS4 will probably get my money if only because I care more about their exclusives and there seems to be more of them. Add in the possibility of Gaikai being able to stream PS1/2/3 games, and I have absolutely no reason to care about the next Xbox.

I saw do it the way I have. I had a gamecube and wii since release, I exhausted the catalog (wii only took 2 days). Then I bought a PS2 for 20$ then I bought a 360 (sometime before the slim i think) for 50$. A month ago I just completed my 6th gen with a dreamcast for 4 dollars. No need to rush. Look at halo 3 and gears 3 right now they are 10 and 15 respectively, those are great games. That you could have bought on sale for 30$. I'm still waiting on a PS3 when the PS4 comes out I might get one because I know every game's price on the PS3 will soon drop like a rock.
/terribly written rant over

I will likely be sticking with my Wii U only. The Vita connectivity/remote play in PS4 might sway me into PS4 territory but I really can't see myself buying the next Xbox. They might catch my attention if they drop their nickel-and-diming mentality but I just don't game on new home consoles enough to justify owning all 3 anymore.

I will get them all. Already have a Wii U, will probably go with the PS4 next since the PS3 is my main platform, especially if trophy progress carries over.

I will stick with PC and my backlog from this gen as well as pick up any games that I missed. After that I will probably get all three. Here is the price point that I am comfortable getting each one at and order:

1. PS4 250
2. Wii U 150
3. Xbox 100

Launch day purchase is out of the question. I'm not necessarily waiting for a discount on the console itself, but discounts on the games. I'll wait until the launch games hit $20 before considering pulling the trigger.

For now, I'm only planning on getting the Wii U... after its price drops. Xenoblade 2 and Wind Waker HD are what sold me on it.

The PS4 sounds awesome but its complete lack of BC is bullshit. The fact that even PSN games aren't natively BC is fucking ridiculous. I'm guessing the PS4 is more than powerful enough to emulate any retail or PSN game but Sony likely won't do it this way because they can make more money back making people buy into their stream service and digital distribution, but I'd rather stop buy new games than go digital (besides a small percent of stuff).

The Xbox 720 remains a mystery but I honestly think it'll be garbage. MS seems completely focused on forcing Kinect down everyone's throats. No thanks.

I don't do much PC gaming anyway... and probably won't until HL3 comes out.

In generation 8 I plan on getting all of the major consoles eventually. I currently have a Wii U and my OUYA is going to arrive sometime before June. I do plan on getting the Playstation 4 and the new Xbox, but I do not know if I will get either one at launch. It's really going to depend on E3 2013,

I do find myself playing more with older consoles, so I don't know if I will be in a huge rush to make sure I have everything first. Personally, I prefer limited edition consoles so maybe I'll wait for the PS3 and the 3rd Xbox to come out with one of those.

I wish I could resist the PS4 day one but I loved having my PS3 at launch. Plus I have a feeling Killzone will make me buy it. I adored Killzone 3's multiplayer, the maps were perfectly designed, not too big (BF3) or too small (COD) and the graphics are awesome, if only people still played it!

It sucks there will be no BC. I hate having multiple machines in my living room but GTAV and, hopefully, Gran Turismo 6 will mean my PS3 is here to stay for another year at least.

I don't care for Nintendo anymore and the new xbox needs to come with something more than Halo to make me buy it.

I'm in for one next gen console at top dollar, that's all I can justify.

Ps4 might be day 1 depending on games/price.

Already got Wii U, and 720 might be day 1 depending on price.

[quote name='Vinny']
The Xbox 720 remains a mystery but I honestly think it'll be garbage. MS seems completely focused on forcing Kinect down everyone's throats. No thanks.
[/QUOTE]

I do worry about that as I despise motion controls.

But to be fair, it's a problem on all 3. Wii U still has the same motion controls as Wii, PS4 comes with the Eye camera and the controllers have the lightbar it senses on them etc.

So I don't know that MS will push Kinect anymore than Nintendo and Sony will be pushing their motion control crap.

Hopefully it just remains for casual games like dance and work out games and isn't shoehorned into regular games for anything more than optional stuff like voice commands which is how Kinect has mostly be incorporated this generartion.

I only plan on buying one system, and even then it will most likely be several years after it has come out.

I didn't get a current gen system (PS3) until Christmas 2011. I was still playing my PS2, and I still have a back log on it to get through.

I'm gonna get a Wii U for sure, and probably a next Xbox to play multiplayer with my stubborn friends who don't want to play on PC, and use my PC for everything else.

PS4's lack of backwards compatibility makes it a day-one dealbreaker for me, but I will pick one up eventually.

Waiting for a price drop and a better library of exclusives on WiiU.

Microsoft's next-gen, the answer is no if they use any sort of watermarking / anti-used game weaselry. And even if they don't, I will only buy the console secondhand, as I refuse to give them any more money directly. (Link in my sig explains why.)

[quote name='jkam']With way too many games to play and not enough time I've been contemplating sticking to one platform for the next gen. Currently I feel with the PS3 and VITA I'm getting a lot of value out of PS+. I'm actually thinking of going PS4 only, but obviously with the next Xbox details yet to be announced this isn't a decision I'm making yet.

One of the reasons I'm considering going to one platform is because it seems to make sense to dive in head first into one ecosystem. This obviously becomes harder for us as gamers because of exclusives but even those seem to be diminishing.

I currently own all 3 this gen Wii, PS3, XBOX 360 as well as a gaming PC but not sure I want to travel the same road moving forward. There are just too many games at this point. To be honest I care little about the platform as most of my purchases have always been "game" driven.

I never thought I'd be saying it but I'm starting to kind of wish there was a 1 platform future. Thoughts?[/QUOTE]
I'm sticking to the Playstation family next gen due to owning a PS Vita, and I enjoy having PS+. I will probably own all of them at some point temporarily for certain exclusive games I want to play.

I bought a Wii U because it's the only next gen traditional console that offers something drastically different (Nintendo in HD) that I don't own.

I already have a pile of PS3 and 360 games in my backlog and like others have mentioned I will probably build a gaming PC to play the more recent stuff.

Eventually I'll own all 3 consoles but that will probably be in two years after a console revision (slimmed down versions) and price drop.

I voted all of them, but will probably wait at least a year after launch to buy them. I've got a crazy backlog, and I don't want to be burned when the Slim models come out. As far as which I'll get first, well I've always been a Sony guy, and PS4 is looking GOOD. I'll pick up a Wii U when it either A. drops to $200 or less and/or B. Has Smash Bros and an awesome 3D Mario game. Nextbox, well probably not until it's cheap. I only got a 360 last october, and thar was mostly because of the awesome bundle. Microsoft just doesn't have as many exclusives that I care about.

EDIT: forgot to note, I'm very interested in the Steam Box. And curious about the OUYA (I know, I know)

Considering we know the price on only one of them (Wii U and I'm already betting its Deluxe will be the cheapest by a minimum of $75, maybe $100+), it's too early to say, but it's a safe bet PS4 and NextBox will be expensive. Tech like that does not come cheap, so no one start kidding themselves. I'm already getting the feeling Sony will pull another "buy a Ferrari" garbage and price the PS4 at $450. Maybe even $500+.

In any case, I have plenty of games sitting around that I have yet to play, so...

Waiting for SEVERE price reductions before I even consider another console (the exception is if GCs, in excess of $75, are offered).

Once the PS4 gets to the $299 price-point then I'll likely bite but, honestly, I'm tired of setting aside backwards compatibility in favor of new hardware as I actually do play old games all the time. (going through Final Fantasy Tactics PS1 again right now in fact)

I'm most excited about the Steambox when it comes to the console space next-gen as I'll be able to make it play decades worth of console and PC games. But I'm moving toward being as digital as possible so that makes the most sense for me going forward.

I told myself that I'll move to PC gaming on Steam for the next gen console. Digital games are way cheaper in price as there are tons of bundles that get package together during sale seasons. I'm still going to get all the next gen consoles just for exclusives. We'll see how that'll work out for me.

I'll probably only get the next Xbox. It is the machine I game on the most (vast majority of friends are on it) and have zero issue paying for XBLG. Might pick up WiiU when its cheap eventually.

So far my choice is PS4 day 1, I love the PlayStation and with Microsoft screwing most people over I don't plan on getting the next Xbox. Now I have to convince my friends that I am right.

Speaking as someone who primarily console games, I have never been more skeptical of a new console generation thanks to rrods, ylods and online passes of this console current/last generation and rumors that the big 2 will require a constant Internet connections and/or prohibit used gaming.

As for the wiiu, I would be enticed by a spiritual successor to Mario Galaxy and F-Zero maybe. Digital games being tied to one system is quite unacceptable though.

I imagine that the next generation of graphically intensive PC games will be rife with anti-consumer precedents as well, like single player games that only work when connected to a server and social media.

Retro/indie gaming it is!

[quote name='leveskikesko']S... and rumors that the big 2 will require a constant Internet connections and/or prohibit used gaming.
[/QUOTE]

Sony already announced that the PS4 doesn't have to be online all the time. I'd be surprised if MS went that route since Sony didn't.

I hope to get the new Xbox maybe around holiday 2014 or so. I still have plenty of current gen (and earlier) games to play so I'm in no hurry. But I do want one. A definite system seller for me would be a new Mass Effect or Final Fantasy game.

Sony didn't impress me at all at their conference. I'm sure I'll get a PS4 eventually to catch up on the Uncharted series, but that may be a long way off.

There don't seem to be many people interested in just two. It's generally one or all. Apparently, once you've made the jump to multiple devices its a natural progression to get all of them.

[quote name='Richard Kain']There don't seem to be many people interested in just two. It's generally one or all. Apparently, once you've made the jump to multiple devices its a natural progression to get all of them.[/QUOTE]

Well, next gen isn't going to have the issue of getting a Nintendo console and another one for the multiplatform titles that didn't come out for the Wii.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I hope to get the new Xbox maybe around holiday 2014 or so. I still have plenty of current gen (and earlier) games to play so I'm in no hurry. But I do want one. A definite system seller for me would be a new Mass Effect or Final Fantasy game.

Sony didn't impress me at all at their conference. I'm sure I'll get a PS4 eventually to catch up on the Uncharted series, but that may be a long way off.[/QUOTE]

Just so you know, PS4 is confirmed as not being backwards compatible. So you should probably pick up a PS3 if you want to play Uncharted one day

[quote name='MrNinjaSquirrel']Just so you know, PS4 is confirmed as not being backwards compatible. So you should probably pick up a PS3 if you want to play Uncharted one day[/QUOTE]
I mean post-Uncharted 3.

[quote name='foltest121']So far my choice is PS4 day 1, I love the PlayStation and with Microsoft screwing most people over I don't plan on getting the next Xbox. Now I have to convince my friends that I am right.[/QUOTE]

I'll probably regret asking this but how is MS "screwing most people over?"

PS4 for me most likely. Unless Xbox announces something amazing or Playstation fucks anything up between here and now.

bread's done
Back