MadCatz SoulCalibur V Stick - About $60

I'm guessing since the console cycle is ending soon or they're kind of niche in some areas and they're trying to get rid of them. I'm pretty sure there are some new ones recently released by MadCatz like the Sanrio fightstick as well.

Nothing is wrong with this model,is the same as the other models,just the artwork is diferent,maybe because of the Soul Calibur brand?

[quote name='aaronrodgers']Why are these suddenly so cheap? New version coming out, or is there something wrong with this model?[/QUOTE]

Good question! These sticks are quality... I wonder if SCV is just getting old. Hard to find anyone playing online anymore.

I was thinking about selling my sticks until I realized I could use both the Tekken 6 (360) stick and my MvC2 (PS3) sticks on my PC for emulators. Even if you don't have or use a PS3, this is still a good buy for PC.

[quote name='apterous']Good question! These sticks are quality... I wonder if SCV is just getting old. Hard to find anyone playing online anymore.[/QUOTE]
There was one guy besides me playing SCIV Friday night lol.

[quote name='StryderOmega']I just bought a Tekken 6 Hori stick at a local game store preowned for 29.99 preowned. These things any good?[/QUOTE]

They're pretty good unless you're talking about the wireless one then they're average at best.

This is actually a great price for them and I think they have the best case with the transparent colors looked cool. I'm holding off for a V.S. though since I think I'd rather have that.

[quote name='StryderOmega']I just bought a Tekken 6 Hori stick at a local game store preowned for 29.99 preowned. These things any good?[/QUOTE]

considering that they don't use premium Sanwa parts, nope...

If you're talking about the wireless Tekken 6 stick, that thing is garbage compared to this stick. This one has actual arcade parts in it and decent heft. The Tekken 6 wireless stick has imitation parts and like no weight. Meaning it will shift around all over the place while playing, and the parts will break way earlier than authentic arcade parts would.

[quote name='diazt350']They're pretty good unless you're talking about the wireless one then they're average at best.

This is actually a great price for them and I think they have the best case with the transparent colors looked cool. I'm holding off for a V.S. though since I think I'd rather have that.[/QUOTE]

Yeah it is wireless...

Can I just modify it to improve the controls or is it a wireless problem?

[quote name='StryderOmega']Yeah it is wireless...

Can I just modify it to improve the controls or is it a wireless problem?[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure the wireless one is unmoddable. I think the parts are soldered or something

Either way, Wireless sticks are a no no for many reasons. I had that same stick and just ended up selling it

This stick has the most premium parts you can buy (buttons, joystick) and you really cannot go wrong with it.

I would be surprised if the seller ends up shipping this brand new for this price as it's the lowest I've seen for a stick of this caliber, but it's worth a shot with amazon's protection.

[quote name='dgwillia006']Pretty sure the wireless one is unmoddable. I think the parts are soldered or something

Either way, Wireless sticks are a no no for many reasons. I had that same stick and just ended up selling it[/QUOTE]
I modded mine with a Seimitsu LS-33 and Sanwa buttons but it is absolutely not worth it.

[quote name='Ragnorok64']I modded mine with a Seimitsu LS-33 and Sanwa buttons but it is absolutely not worth it.[/QUOTE]

What were the issues you had after modding? Just the weight?

Can always find means to add heft to the case if that is the case.

[quote name='StryderOmega']What were the issues you had after modding? Just the weight?

Can always find means to add heft to the case if that is the case.[/QUOTE]

I have that tekken 6 stick too. It feels like cheap crap, and the stick isn't very sensitive. I tried using it in SFIV and couldn't pull off half the moves.

[quote name='antlp89']
I would be surprised if the seller ends up shipping this brand new for this price as it's the lowest I've seen for a stick of this caliber, but it's worth a shot with amazon's protection.[/QUOTE]

There are multiple sellers selling at the $60-65 range. Ebay has it for $60s + 10 or so shipping so overall, I think this will be shipped just fine.

[quote name='StryderOmega']What were the issues you had after modding? Just the weight?

Can always find means to add heft to the case if that is the case.[/QUOTE]
The lack of heft is still an issue. It's also still wireless which means it's another device eating up batteries, and I even heard two dongles could interfere with one another.

I know where you're coming from though. When I first had interest in fighters I bought several Hori Fightstick 3 sticks. Then I bought parts and soldered, dremeled, and pounded those things until the parts were in there. That was when getting a TE stick meant $150+. I've since come to the conclusion that 1 good premium stick is worth several crappy sticks that you have to modify. This applies both to the money and time investment.

For example, to do the modifications I did you have to:

1: Buy the parts. LS-33, 8 Sanwa 30mm Buttons, 2 Sanswa 24mm buttons = 3265yen (from Akihabarashop.jp the only place I know to get an LS-33) which is apparently $34.88+ international shipping

2: open the thing up, which requires a tri-wing driver

3: unsolder the PCB from the buttons

5: remove the artwork from the top plate *

4: remove the buttons and dremel the metal top plate to enlarge the button holes slightly and remove a metal tab in each of them.

5: drill new holes in the top plate in order to mount the LS-33 directly to the top plate.

6: You'll need to wire up PCB so you can use quick disconnects wit the Sanwa buttons. This means wiring the signal side for each button and daisy chaining the grounds together.

7: you'll have to scrape, twist, and snap away the plastic directly underneath were the joystick will mount in order for it to have clearance to move.

8: Reassemble everything.

*You'll also probably want to replace the art with something new, or else you'll be left with a plain metal faced stick.

Even with those mods. It's still not going to be up to par with other sticks. The LS-33 is not a typical fighting game stick and will feel really lose. And you're still left with a crappy lite wireless stick.

[quote name='Ragnorok64']The lack of heft is still an issue. It's also still wireless which means it's another device eating up batteries, and I even heard two dongles could interfere with one another.

I know where you're coming from though. When I first had interest in fighters I bought several Hori Fightstick 3 sticks. Then I bought parts and soldered, dremeled, and pounded those things until the parts were in there. That was when getting a TE stick meant $150+. I've since come to the conclusion that 1 good premium stick is worth several crappy sticks that you have to modify. This applies both to the money and time investment.

For example, to do the modifications I did you have to:

1: Buy the parts. LS-33, 8 Sanwa 30mm Buttons, 2 Sanswa 24mm buttons = 3265yen (from Akihabarashop.jp the only place I know to get an LS-33) which is apparently $34.88+ international shipping

2: open the thing up, which requires a tri-wing driver

3: unsolder the PCB from the buttons

5: remove the artwork from the top plate *

4: remove the buttons and dremel the metal top plate to enlarge the button holes slightly and remove a metal tab in each of them.

5: drill new holes in the top plate in order to mount the LS-33 directly to the top plate.

6: You'll need to wire up PCB so you can use quick disconnects wit the Sanwa buttons. This means wiring the signal side for each button and daisy chaining the grounds together.

7: you'll have to scrape, twist, and snap away the plastic directly underneath were the joystick will mount in order for it to have clearance to move.

8: Reassemble everything.

*You'll also probably want to replace the art with something new, or else you'll be left with a plain metal faced stick.

Even with those mods. It's still not going to be up to par with other sticks. The LS-33 is not a typical fighting game stick and will feel really lose. And you're still left with a crappy lite wireless stick.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the input! I greatly appreciate it.

I did play some SF x T to test it out and I am ok with this purchase as I was actually able to do what I needed to fight as compared to the awkward controls of a controller.

However this late in the console life, I think this is good enough. Next gen I will definitely keep my eyes out for a TE style stick.

I'm tempted, but all the Amazon Marketplace sellers at that price point have really terrible feedback. Not sure if it's worth the risk... :whistle2:?

UPDATE: Ordered directly from Buy.com (Rakuten) instead for $58.xx shipped (360 version so I can dual-mod). Feels safer than buying from a 3rd party seller.

Last edited by a moderator:
Grabbed one, thanks. I actually own the Hori SCV stick (dual modded), but I can't pass this up that this price.

Bought a brawlstick back in December intending to mod, never got around to it, I'm sure this would be cheaper to just buy this outright, and the curved button layout is better for me too. What do I do with the brawlstick now though :(

[quote name='Psybuster']Bought a brawlstick back in December intending to mod, never got around to it, I'm sure this would be cheaper to just buy this outright, and the curved button layout is better for me too. What do I do with the brawlstick now though :([/QUOTE]

Mod it anyway. That's what I did with mine. New stick, buttons, and art is real easy to do on those.

I've owned one of those and I can sincerely tell you there is no remote point of comparison with the Mad Catz/Sanwa TE stick I own now.

[quote name='Psybuster']Bought a brawlstick back in December intending to mod, never got around to it, I'm sure this would be cheaper to just buy this outright, and the curved button layout is better for me too. What do I do with the brawlstick now though :([/QUOTE]

Its really easy to mod it, barely took me like 2-3 hours to replace the buttons/stick/art. And it was my first one too, came out great

[quote name='dgwillia006']Its really easy to mod it, barely took me like 2-3 hours to replace the buttons/stick/art. And it was my first one too, came out great[/QUOTE]

Yep. Everything is super easy. Art you take it to FedEx Office/Kinkos and have them do a lami -label, which is a big sticker, and slap it on. It sort of feels good when you get done with it. Like you made it your own.

I have the MvC2 TE, 2 PS3 TE's and a 360 EX-SE, plus 3 SE sticks, why am I still fighting the urge to pull the trigger on this?

[quote name='Algertman']Sellers are moving them for about $60 after shipping

These are the similar to the Madcatz TE sticks but with a different body a slightly different layout. So they have the quality Sanwa parts.[/QUOTE]

This is a TE stick (well, TE-S to be more specific). Main differences are more reliable PCB, Namco Noir button layout (versus the Vewlix layout of other TE sticks), artwork & that gorgeous 3-translucent color case. I prefer the Vewlix layout but that's just personal preference.

[quote name='Borexz']Nothing is wrong with this model,is the same as the other models,just the artwork is diferent,maybe because of the Soul Calibur brand?[/QUOTE]

Nothing's wrong with this model versus other Madcatz TE sticks. Besides the translucent case, the other major difference is the button layout.

For $30 pre-owned, it's subpar at best. Joystick lever has a much bigger deadzone, buttons aren't as responsive/sensitive & very lightweight. The Sanwa-based sticks are in a whole other league especially for $30 more for this SCV stick. IMHO, only thing good is that the battery last a very long time. If you plan on keeping it then I recommend getting a piece of velcro strap & slap that USB dongle onto the side of the case somewhere so you don't lose it whe not in use.

[quote name='StryderOmega']Yeah it is wireless...

Can I just modify it to improve the controls or is it a wireless problem?[/QUOTE]

IMHO, not worth it as others have said. Adding weight is easy by putting rolls of pennies in there but lots of soldering work to do everything else.

If Amazon & Buy.com are sold out for this price then eBay is your next best place to buy. All of the Sanwa parts (JLF joystick lever & OBSF buttons) alone are worth $55+ if purchased from Focus Attack & Arcade Shock (most popular online vendors for Japanese arcade parts). This is my fav. TE stick by Madcatz due to that beautiful case & a heck of a deal!

Dang it, I'm trying to reduce sticks! Great price!

The person that asked about the Tekken stick, at the price point of the SC stick it is just better to buy the good stick instead of modding the T6 stick, cost of pieces alone is gonna be the cost of the SC stick plus the T6 is really uncomfortable to mod since you will have to solder and dremmel the case. I had the T6 stick, worked ok, but does not compared to having pro parts stick. I would buy this one and sell the T6 if I was you.

THANKS to OtakuFerret for recommending Buy.com! The stick is now on backorder... :whistle2:(

Wow, just received mine in the mail from my seller this morning.

Didn't even mark it as shipped yet.

What an awesome deal, thanks again OP.

oh well... I went with a preferred seller (Portable Guy) for a few bucks more and got cancellation email today...
"Upon receipt of your order we discovered that we are out of stock on the item you purchased."
(order was placed just 25 minutes after OP... ;/ )

guess this is the world telling me that I should just save my money and stick with my TE

Amazon has it in stock for $99.99 (both versions). It's $60 less than the default but it could also be the "last hoorah" pricing for it.

ordered from buy.com via ebay and got a back order notice also, damn!!!!

update I got a cancellation notice from buy.com via ebay, it showed 80 left in stock when the listing ended wtf!

[quote name='CaoPi']bumpppppppp[/QUOTE]

No need to bump. Deal is dead. The listings have been removed from Rakuten and both eBay and the Amazon Marketplace have returned to the $100 price point, sadly. :whistle2:(

bread's done
Back