Best Buy : Several Softcover and Hardcover Strategy guide 75%+ off Clearance (YMMV)?

RainFall

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
Was in a Washington store

They had
AC 3: CE HC $8.49
FF XIII-2 HC $3.49
Hitman Absolution HC $8.49
Halo 4 CE HC $10

And they had a pile of softcovers for 75% of the above mentioned games and a few others. I only recall Borderlands 2, but there were probably 5 other titles i can't remember.

They were on a cart with a sign showing adjusted price. I picked up 3 and manager had to a do an override for each one. There seemed to be at least 5 copies of most of the guides, but Halo & FF XIII-2 were the last ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
I want my own strategy guy.

Also, I'll have to go see if FF XIII-2 is on a goofy sale like that at my local BB, I know it got pennied out awhile ago.

You think the Hitman strategy guy is cheap? Man, his pay rate is great compared to the FFXIII-2 guys due to the amount of content in both of those games!

[quote name='RainFall']Hahha, smartasses. Any way to edit? I was distracted multitasking.[/QUOTE]

Heh, looks like you figured it out. As for the actual deal though these are good prices for anybody who will actually use or collect them, I've never been huge on guides myself though.

Bellevue, WA has tons of Hitman hardcovers left. 6-7 or so. If i was going that way, i'd pick one up for you, but unfortunately i am not :(

Just got back from the Bellevue store. The full list of discounted guides

guild wars 2 limited- $9.25
Final Fantasy XIII-2- $3.75
Dishonored- $5
Diablo III- $5.5
Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim- $6.75
Playstation All-Stars- $5
Borderlands 2- $5
Resident Evil 6- $5
Halo 4 Collectors- $10 (about 6-8 left)
Nintendo Land- $5
Little Big Planet Karting- $5
WWE 13- $5
Paper Mario: Sticker Star- $5
Hitman Absolution- $6.25
New Super Mario Bros. U- $5
Disney Epic Mickey- $5
Assassins Creed III- $6.25
Assassins Creed III Collector's Edition- $8.75 (sold out)
Halo 4- $6.25

The Hitman collector's guide wasn't on the list but was on the kart that held the discounted guides. A handful left.

[quote name='RainFall']They definitely added more guides since i was there. Is the D III a HC?[/QUOTE]

The DIII was soft cover. They also had a cart of clearanced out games ranging from .99-12.99 Didn't pay to much attention to it but the ones I can remember
Saints Row the Third with Headset $12
Some Guitar Hero (Game only) Aerosmith and one other I believe $1
Def Jam Rapstar with Mic $1
Original Skylanders Starter Set $8
Original Sklyanders Mega Pack $13
Madden 2010 $1
Some Golf Game which was either $1 or $3
NCAA Football 2011 $1
Splatterhouse $4

I know there were a few others but I don't remember what they were

At these prices I'm not sure what will be left from yesterday so I wouldn't drive out of my way to go see but if you are in the area couldn't hurt

Thanks for posting Rainfall I was able to get every guide I wanted except the Guild Wars 2 HC and the New Supermario Bros U

Seems like this is only for the Belleuve store. I was at Everett store yesturday to pick up Tomb Raider and all the guides were reg. price.

Wish I have time to visit the Bellevue BB.

Hitman was full price at my store... Resident evil 6 was a penny, they had dozens of them but the system wouldn't let them sell me one. Anyone know how to get the system to let me buy a penny guide?

I stumped my local BB manager when I tried to buy the Mass Effect 3 collectors edition, so she gave it to me for free since i'm a loyal customer. I love my store, they match any legit deal I present to them and go above and beyond when I have a problem. Top notch, I hope they stay around for a long time.

[quote name='jrr6415sun']Hitman was full price at my store... Resident evil 6 was a penny, they had dozens of them but the system wouldn't let them sell me one. Anyone know how to get the system to let me buy a penny guide?[/QUOTE]

They should just price adjusted for you. If it is stickered with that price they need to honor it to you. It's the rule of BBB.

[quote name='Methoes']They should just price adjusted for you. If it is stickered with that price they need to honor it to you. It's the rule of BBB.[/QUOTE]

it wasn't stickered as a penny. They tried to checkout and it came up as a penny.

They didn't tell me they don't want me to buy it, they spend 20 minutes trying to figure out how to get the system to let me purchase it, because the system kept telling them they aren't allowed to sell it and wouldn't let them check me out. The manager couldn't figure out how to override it either

[quote name='jrr6415sun']it wasn't stickered as a penny. They tried to checkout and it came up as a penny.

They didn't tell me they don't want me to buy it, they spend 20 minutes trying to figure out how to get the system to let me purchase it, because the system kept telling them they aren't allowed to sell it and wouldn't let them check me out. The manager couldn't figure out how to override it either[/QUOTE]

Same thing happened to me when I tried to buy the hide for deus ex human revolution a while back. It wouldn't let them ring it up and just said to send it back to the manufacturer.

No go in Vegas. I tried like eight of the guides listed here including Hitman, AC3 CE, PSASBR, FF XIII-2 and RE 6, all full price.

Penny guides aren't supposed to be sold. The money that the store paid for those guides has been credited back to them and they are supposed to be thrown out. That is the agreement with the publisher.

Made a thread yesterday about this, but it got deleted because I mentioned a controversial tactic. Anyway, my local Best Buy was giving away strategy guides when you bought the respective game. They had them all rubber banded to the games, sometimes to used copies (I picked up the very nice hardcover Mass Effect 3 Guide with the game for $17.99). So yeah, it is worth checking your local store.

[quote name='mpaullin']Made a thread yesterday about this, but it got deleted because I mentioned a controversial tactic. Anyway, my local Best Buy was giving away strategy guides when you bought the respective game. They had them all rubber banded to the games, sometimes to used copies (I picked up the very nice hardcover Mass Effect 3 Guide with the game for $17.99). So yeah, it is worth checking your local store.[/QUOTE]

That's a nice deal and a smart way for the store to get rid of the guides. However I would think the publisher of the guides is getting screwed but I guess that's between them and BB. :)

I went to Best Buy last week and they had a ridiculous amount of guides...especially Halo 4 and Assassins Creed 3...at least 20 of each.

All full price btw

Yeah, no go at the BB in Cambridge, MA. Plenty of hardcover CE guides but still full price.

Plenty of copies of Brink on the clearance rack though.... for 10 bucks :roll:

[quote name='humidore']Gimme that sweet sweet Ni no Kuni guide on the cheap...[/QUOTE]

My BB was out of Ni no Kuni guides (they had around 4 a few weeks ago). I wonder if these were discounted or just sold cause of demand/rarity.

[quote name='solarnoise']Yeah, no go at the BB in Cambridge, MA. Plenty of hardcover CE guides but still full price.

Plenty of copies of Brink on the clearance rack though.... for 10 bucks :roll:[/QUOTE]

Cambridge usually stinks. There usually isn't anybody there at the gaming section. I usually go to the Everett one. They let me have a ME3 softcover for free.

bread's done
Back