Photo
- - - - -

Best Buy : Several Softcover and Hardcover Strategy guide 75%+ off Clearance (YMMV)?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#31 jrr6415sun

jrr6415sun

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:21 PM

They should just price adjusted for you. If it is stickered with that price they need to honor it to you. It's the rule of BBB.

it wasn't stickered as a penny. They tried to checkout and it came up as a penny.

They didn't tell me they don't want me to buy it, they spend 20 minutes trying to figure out how to get the system to let me purchase it, because the system kept telling them they aren't allowed to sell it and wouldn't let them check me out. The manager couldn't figure out how to override it either

#32 Alkalinejoe

Alkalinejoe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:40 AM

it wasn't stickered as a penny. They tried to checkout and it came up as a penny.

They didn't tell me they don't want me to buy it, they spend 20 minutes trying to figure out how to get the system to let me purchase it, because the system kept telling them they aren't allowed to sell it and wouldn't let them check me out. The manager couldn't figure out how to override it either

Same thing happened to me when I tried to buy the hide for deus ex human revolution a while back. It wouldn't let them ring it up and just said to send it back to the manufacturer.

#33 SCIENCEEE

SCIENCEEE

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:52 AM

Receipts please!

I'd love FF13-2 and H4 hard cover guides.

#34 Decker

Decker

Xbox Live Cannon Fodder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:39 AM

No go in Vegas. I tried like eight of the guides listed here including Hitman, AC3 CE, PSASBR, FF XIII-2 and RE 6, all full price.

decker%2001.jpg

#35 tyrok3k

tyrok3k

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:05 PM

Penny guides aren't supposed to be sold. The money that the store paid for those guides has been credited back to them and they are supposed to be thrown out. That is the agreement with the publisher.

#36 mpaullin

mpaullin

Sarcasm Font Enthusiast

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:54 PM

Made a thread yesterday about this, but it got deleted because I mentioned a controversial tactic. Anyway, my local Best Buy was giving away strategy guides when you bought the respective game. They had them all rubber banded to the games, sometimes to used copies (I picked up the very nice hardcover Mass Effect 3 Guide with the game for $17.99). So yeah, it is worth checking your local store.

#37 Indiana

Indiana

Over 3 decades of gaming!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:08 PM

Made a thread yesterday about this, but it got deleted because I mentioned a controversial tactic. Anyway, my local Best Buy was giving away strategy guides when you bought the respective game. They had them all rubber banded to the games, sometimes to used copies (I picked up the very nice hardcover Mass Effect 3 Guide with the game for $17.99). So yeah, it is worth checking your local store.

That's a nice deal and a smart way for the store to get rid of the guides. However I would think the publisher of the guides is getting screwed but I guess that's between them and BB. :)

#38 proKoyeon

proKoyeon

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:19 PM

I went to Best Buy last week and they had a ridiculous amount of guides...especially Halo 4 and Assassins Creed 3...at least 20 of each.

All full price btw

#39 solarnoise

solarnoise

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:34 PM

Yeah, no go at the BB in Cambridge, MA. Plenty of hardcover CE guides but still full price.

Plenty of copies of Brink on the clearance rack though.... for 10 bucks :roll:

#40 humidore

humidore

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:59 PM

Gimme that sweet sweet Ni no Kuni guide on the cheap...

My BB was out of Ni no Kuni guides (they had around 4 a few weeks ago). I wonder if these were discounted or just sold cause of demand/rarity.

#41 Zolor23

Zolor23

Hey there.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:34 PM

Yeah, no go at the BB in Cambridge, MA. Plenty of hardcover CE guides but still full price.

Plenty of copies of Brink on the clearance rack though.... for 10 bucks :roll:

Cambridge usually stinks. There usually isn't anybody there at the gaming section. I usually go to the Everett one. They let me have a ME3 softcover for free.