78 replies to this topic

#1 Kevbo887

Kevbo887

Defensor Fortis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:37 PM

Debating getting this laptop

http://www.amazon.co...vo IdeaPad Y500

Currently I have a desktop with 8gb ram and win 7 radeon 6870 and a amd phenom II x4 810 (2.60ghz) with 8 gb of ram.

Basically my computer has been acting up big time, and I really would love to take a laptop with me thats able to handle current games (and maybe some future games) on my travels, as I cant bring my desktop.

Basically I was wondering if for that price if its a good deal. I basically want it to play Battlefield 3, Skyrim, the new tomb raider and Crysis 3.

What do you guys think? I obviously know a desktop is much more bang for your buck, but im kind of getting away from that option with all of my traveling. Heck, I barely game anymore because the time I am home, id much rather spend with my family, so at least I on the road I can do some gaming rather than just watching movies and reading to pass the time.

Thanks guys, its appreciated.

#2 pacifickarma

pacifickarma

Master of Orion

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:06 PM

HD looks a bit slow, but the rest seems good.

#3 Kevbo887

Kevbo887

Defensor Fortis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:59 PM

Alright thanks. Hows it compare to my desktop you think?

#4 aShufflinZombie

aShufflinZombie

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:40 AM

I would say that it's marginally better than your desktop. Gaming wise, I personally own a GTX 650 and it can run most games at 1080p med+high/ 900p high+very high, so you should be good with two 650Ms.

#5 Kevbo887

Kevbo887

Defensor Fortis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:43 AM

Hmmm so it is better than my desktop? Well thats good news. I honestly dont know a ton about computer hardware anymore so I didnt want to go drop money on something thats inferior to what I own. Granted the portability factor plays a huge role now. But knowing that its better by a bit is huge.

Anyone else have any input, so far from what Ive had for responses Im totally leaning towards it, but just wondering if anyone here has used one, or heard from personal experience of people who have (video card and performance wise). Thanks!

#6 aShufflinZombie

aShufflinZombie

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:11 AM

Hmmm so it is better than my desktop? Well thats good news. I honestly dont know a ton about computer hardware anymore so I didnt want to go drop money on something thats inferior to what I own. Granted the portability factor plays a huge role now. But knowing that its better by a bit is huge.

Anyone else have any input, so far from what Ive had for responses Im totally leaning towards it, but just wondering if anyone here has used one, or heard from personal experience of people who have (video card and performance wise). Thanks!

One more thing, the 650 is way too slow memory wise at stock speeds. The program, EVGA Precision, is fantastic for overclocking video cards. Before overclocking the memory, I was getting an average of about 35 fps and after overclocking the memory, I was getting a solid 60.

#7 retrad

retrad

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:35 AM

dunno, no one really benches those but they seem weak for gaming. Just going by the 3dmark 11 scores on this page

this page may also be useful

keep in mind that you cannot transfer the desktop performance for the chip over to laptop. A 650m is nowhere close to a GTX 650. Same goes for every tier of GPU.

Edited by retrad, 05 March 2013 - 08:28 AM.

Posted Image

#8 thegreatest

thegreatest

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:19 AM

I would say that it's marginally better than your desktop. Gaming wise, I personally own a GTX 650 and it can run most games at 1080p med+high/ 900p high+very high, so you should be good with two 650Ms.

A GTX 650 and GT650 are two VERY different cards. The GTX 650 is made for gaming and the GT650 is more of a card for multimedia, video editing, CAD, etc.

That said, I'm not sure how it stacks up to your desktop. A google search will answer that for you.

#9 aShufflinZombie

aShufflinZombie

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:08 AM

Check this out. This guy has a slower CPU and only a single GT650M. The laptop that you're looking at has two in SLI.

#10 Kevbo887

Kevbo887

Defensor Fortis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:54 PM

Bah still cant decide :(

#11 aShufflinZombie

aShufflinZombie

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:47 PM

IMO, if you need a laptop right now, go for it. Haswell is coming out sometime this year and if you are willing to wait, you might be able to get something a little bit better.

#12 retrad

retrad

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:14 PM

Check this out. This guy has a slower CPU and only a single GT650M. The laptop that you're looking at has two in SLI.

What's your point? If its that sli is terrible in laptops I agree
Posted Image

#13 Kevbo887

Kevbo887

Defensor Fortis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:01 PM

So im going to go on the consensus that my desktop is currently much more powerful?

#14 thegreatest

thegreatest

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:30 AM

So im going to go on the consensus that my desktop is currently much more powerful?

Yes. Google is your friend.

#15 Caffeinefree

Caffeinefree

General CAG of Mystery

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:44 AM

SRRY to butt in. If you did get that Laptop you should look into getting a faster HDD, that whole 5200RPM thing doesn't sit well with me.

Follow me on Twitter I am [twitter]ThatWayneO[/twitter]! I post game deals, comedy, and the best darn YouTube links money can buy. If you want your feed rocked, then HERE I AM!

#16 Kevbo887

Kevbo887

Defensor Fortis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:08 PM

Yes. Google is your friend.

Couldnt find a direct comparison. Only a single card not sli

#17 itachiitachi

itachiitachi

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:49 PM

Couldnt find a direct comparison. Only a single card not sli

http://www.notebookc...List.844.0.html
Number 45 on the list

Also I wouldn't worry about the HD you should be able to install an Msata drive in it.

Forgive me if I have a little nuance to my worldview, and am not a black/white ideologue who can't grasp complexity.

This is perhaps the most ironic thing I have ever seen on CAG.

#18 Kevbo887

Kevbo887

Defensor Fortis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:01 PM

So you think i should do it? Probably the i7 version. I just hope the graphic cards will hold up a few years in terms of staying up to par for gaming

#19 itachiitachi

itachiitachi

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:28 PM

That graphics card will last you 4 years easily, though it will probably be running lower setting after 2-3 years.
I'm not sure you are going to find a price much better than that with out going to an outlet or waiting many months for a insane sale.

Forgive me if I have a little nuance to my worldview, and am not a black/white ideologue who can't grasp complexity.

#20 Kevbo887

Kevbo887

Defensor Fortis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:59 AM

Yah, I was thinking that. Im going to take one more night to sleep on it. Decided if I do get it im going to costco. They have the same computer, but instead of the i5 and 8gb of ram its got an i7 16gbram and a 16gb ssd cache drive in it as well. Only for $100 more.

I figured that would help to ram up gaming?

#21 itachiitachi

itachiitachi

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:21 PM

I'm not sure how much the extra ram will help you with most current games.

Is the SSD cache part of the drive or a separate drive? Make sure it has an Msata slot before you buy it. Installing your OS and your games on an Msata will give you load and boot speeds that can't be matched by any amount of ram.

#22 TimboSliceGB

TimboSliceGB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:40 PM

if you really want to get into major pc gaming DON't get a labtop come on now. Labtops are waste of money if you plan on upgrading later on. desktop is the way to go if you are really into gaming on pc tons.

#23 Kevbo887

Kevbo887

Defensor Fortis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:21 AM

if you really want to get into major pc gaming DON't get a labtop come on now. Labtops are waste of money if you plan on upgrading later on. desktop is the way to go if you are really into gaming on pc tons.

Im def no hardcore gamer nor a graphics whore. Plus i already stated that desktops arent really an option due to travel

#24 j-cart

j-cart

PAPER TRAILS on a mountain

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:41 AM

OP should look into the Razer Edge.

http://www.razerzone...ms/razer-edge#4

#25 Kevbo887

Kevbo887

Defensor Fortis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:02 AM

No thx

#26 ShockandAww

ShockandAww

Truth is treason

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:50 AM

Here is an easy way to see what you can expect from a 650m SLI

Note that the game has to support SLI for it to give you that performance. Maybe most do though I have no clue.

Also, reviews for the Lenovo state the cpu/gpu are throttled when not plugged in so it's basically not possible to game with it unplugged. Not something I'd personally care about since it'd be silly to play any intensive game with your laptop unplugged.

Now after everything I've said, performance-wise I don't know if you could beat the bang for the buck in a laptop. This looks to be a pretty good laptop for $1200 though and it's a 17.3" if you want something bigger. Note though the 650M SLI looks to be just a little bit more powerful than the 670M.

Edited by ShockandAww, 11 March 2013 - 06:04 AM.

#27 contradude

contradude

Now with more Ramble Pack!™

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:31 AM

I would honestly avoid anything less than a 660m if you are going to play more than WoW or LoL ever. My roommate caught the 1080p 660m i7 bluray drive lenovo y580 on sale from the lenovo website for under 1k and it seems to be doing a great job so far. I would strongly the y580 as it is a great compromise

#28 ShockandAww

ShockandAww

Truth is treason

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:43 AM

I would honestly avoid anything less than a 660m if you are going to play more than WoW or LoL ever. My roommate caught the 1080p 660m i7 bluray drive lenovo y580 on sale from the lenovo website for under 1k and it seems to be doing a great job so far. I would strongly the y580 as it is a great compromise

Yep that's exactly what I'm currently using :) I can safely run Tomb Raider on high and get 45-50 fps, but only get about 15 fps or so on Ultra.

A 650M SLI is more powerful though since it's 2 of them. It's still not quite as good as his current desktop though.

Edited by ShockandAww, 11 March 2013 - 06:06 AM.

#29 retrad

retrad

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:03 PM

Yep that's exactly what I'm currently using :) I can safely run Tomb Raider on high and get 45-50 fps, but only get about 15 fps or so on Ultra.

A 650M SLI is more powerful though since it's 2 of them. It's still not quite as good as his current desktop though.

what are you talking about? sli sucks in laptops its not freaking the same as it is in desktops.

you would be better off going for the better single card solution tbqh. dont even talk to me about sli in laptops until you are talking about a 680 or 7970 mobile sli / cf setup respectively.
Posted Image

#30 Kevbo887

Kevbo887

Defensor Fortis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:00 PM

If you dont mind, how come?