Should I sell my N64?

MrNinjaSquirrel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
I bought a Nintendo 64 a few years back as a sort of stop gap until I could afford a newer system. I've had a lot of fun with it, but now rarely use it. I've sold most of the good games I had (much to my dismay), and now find myself wondering why I'm keeping it. So I've been thinking of putting it on ebay, and using the money toward a newer DS model or Vita. The only thing holding me back is I've always sort of valued my collection. I keep games I don't play, and peripherals collect dust, all for the sake of "maybe I'll use it one day". Is this dumb? Should I sell it, in your opinion? The fact that all the games I'd want to play are on the Wii Virtual Console makes it feel even more irrelevant. Before you reply, here's what I've got left:

Console, with all chords and Expansion Pack
Two working controllers, one with bite marks on the right handle
One controller with a stuck Z button (easy fix?)
Diddy Kong Racing
Mission Impossible
Banjo Kazooie
Super Mario 64
Beetle Adventure Racing
Star Wars Rogue Squadron

Games that aren't mine, but I could probably sell (my little brother's, who wouldn't notice/uses my stuff so it feels even)
Star Wars Racing
Rayman 2
Tigers Hunny Hunt
Scooby Doo Classic Creep Capers
and a few others I'd have to find

So what would be your estimate? I know it's not much, but it's really not getting used at the moment, and I doubt prices are going up. Would you sell? Thanks for any advice you might give:)

[quote name='KillerRamen']I'd first see if your little brother wants it. Rayman 2 is awesome.[/QUOTE]

I know, but I could always buy it for him later as a VC for the wii. I've already let him have my gamecube and GBA SP, so he's in pretty good terms gaming wise. I mean, he's only six, how many games should he be playing anyway? But obviously I'd ask about it all, not doing so would just be mean

It really depends on how much you can get for it and the nostalgia you think you might have with the system.

Once you start making money you will find that the few dollars you received for your old system might not be worth the ability to boot up your old games every once in a blue moon.

I remember trading in tons of my N64 games as a kid and the amount of money/trade credit I got back really is peanuts for me now. In retrospect I'd rather have kept the games for the save files and nostalgia.

But you don't really have any fond memories from the system or save files of the games I'd probably sell it and move forward.

I don't know the pricing but if you think it's in good condition and would probably survive long term play, let me know a price you will sell it at. my wife has been wanting one for awhile now. I'd love to get a bundle like this so I wouldn't have to search separate stores/online places. Also I feel weird buying older generation equipment not knowing if it works from a pawn shop etc.

[quote name='antlp89']It really depends on how much you can get for it and the nostalgia you think you might have with the system.

Once you start making money you will find that the few dollars you received for your old system might not be worth the ability to boot up your old games every once in a blue moon.

I remember trading in tons of my N64 games as a kid and the amount of money/trade credit I got back really is peanuts for me now. In retrospect I'd rather have kept the games for the save files and nostalgia.

But you don't really have any fond memories from the system or save files of the games I'd probably sell it and move forward.[/QUOTE]
I know, I have sellers remorse for all the games I've traded (RIP Mario Kart DD), but the N64 just isn't that valuable to me. Maybe it's because I got it so late, and don't have the nostalgia most do, but the only games I've ever had that much fun with are Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, and Beetle Racing, but it's been awhile since I've played them for any particular amount of time. They also don't really hold up nearly as well IMO on modern televisions. Idk, I'm gonna think about it some more, thanks for the advice:D

[quote name='hustletron']What were you looking to get for the lot?

EDIT: Asking due to possible interest.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Snuckles']I don't know the pricing but if you think it's in good condition and would probably survive long term play, let me know a price you will sell it at. my wife has been wanting one for awhile now. I'd love to get a bundle like this so I wouldn't have to search separate stores/online places. Also I feel weird buying older generation equipment not knowing if it works from a pawn shop etc.[/QUOTE]

I was actually hoping someone would give a good estimate for it. I'd say it's in fairly good condition, and hasn't had any major or minor problems that I can remember. Gets the usual black screen on boot up, but thats a game by game basis (all work, some just require the old blow out the dust trick). As I said I would probably put the money toward a PS Vita, but antlp89 has me torn on it. I'll have to get back to you, but as the prices go for anywhere between $50-100 on ebay,I don't have a set price. Would rather sell it to someone that would actually use it than have it collect dust here, but haven't made up my mind. If you want to shoot me an offer, feel free, I'll get back to you:)

You could probably get 110 plus shipping or so. A bit more if you part it out. 100 would be reasonable for it all on a forum (no ebay fees).

[quote name='Bing147']You could probably get 110 plus shipping or so. A bit more if you part it out. 100 would be reasonable for it all on a forum (no ebay fees).[/QUOTE]

Well, dang! I was thinking 60-75 tops. Hmm, will definitely consider. Will talk to my brother sometime and see if he gives a flip.

I agree with Bing - I normally sell N64s with Expansion pak and 2 controllers for $60. Pricing all the game out separately is about $80. Take about a 25% hit as a bundle (what I've found the average, though some bundles will actually net higher if you get someone that wants those exact titles as it saves them individual shipping costs) you'd be looking at about $105.

What colors are the controllers? Some colors can sell anywhere from $15 to $40 by themselves.

As for the controller with the stuck Z button, spend $3 and get yourself a jumbo bottle of isopropyl alcohol its a (generally) electronics friendly alcohol and is the active ingredient in most game cleaners. Dab some on a cotton swab so it is damp but not dripping, then run it along the edge of the button where it meets the shell of the controller, then press the button down if it is stuck up or use a spudger or similar tool to pry up.

Once you can get the button to move repeat the process 5-10 times until it moves 100% freely, let it dry about 30 minutes and test. If it doesn't work try it again a couple times but most likely it would have to be opened for more extensive cleaning.

Also, right now is the peak time to sell N64 items - if you look most have increased in value about 50% in the last year and sell faster as demand goes up and the desirable game's supply dries up. A year ago I could have Super Smash Bros. up for $32 for weeks or even months before selling. Now the last few copies I had sold before I even received them for $45. Hell, I barely bother to even put N64 games on eBay right now because they are selling so fast locally and don't have to deal with eBay fees and issues. And most of the people buying them are college students who got nostalgia trips playing N64 games downloaded on the Wii or because of the vast amount of couch co-op games the N64 offers which fits the dorm culture.

I would keep them because you would just have to buy them all digitally again if they are available digitally, and digital purchases are a money trap as you can't sell stuff once you buy it. It would also be more expensive to just buy them digitally again rather than just keep them.

[quote name='ferant316']I agree with Bing - I normally sell N64s with Expansion pak and 2 controllers for $60. Pricing all the game out separately is about $80. Take about a 25% hit as a bundle (what I've found the average, though some bundles will actually net higher if you get someone that wants those exact titles as it saves them individual shipping costs) you'd be looking at about $105.

What colors are the controllers? Some colors can sell anywhere from $15 to $40 by themselves.

As for the controller with the stuck Z button, spend $3 and get yourself a jumbo bottle of isopropyl alcohol its a (generally) electronics friendly alcohol and is the active ingredient in most game cleaners. Dab some on a cotton swab so it is damp but not dripping, then run it along the edge of the button where it meets the shell of the controller, then press the button down if it is stuck up or use a spudger or similar tool to pry up.

Once you can get the button to move repeat the process 5-10 times until it moves 100% freely, let it dry about 30 minutes and test. If it doesn't work try it again a couple times but most likely it would have to be opened for more extensive cleaning.

Also, right now is the peak time to sell N64 items - if you look most have increased in value about 50% in the last year and sell faster as demand goes up and the desirable game's supply dries up. A year ago I could have Super Smash Bros. up for $32 for weeks or even months before selling. Now the last few copies I had sold before I even received them for $45. Hell, I barely bother to even put N64 games on eBay right now because they are selling so fast locally and don't have to deal with eBay fees and issues. And most of the people buying them are college students who got nostalgia trips playing N64 games downloaded on the Wii or because of the vast amount of couch co-op games the N64 offers which fits the dorm culture.[/QUOTE]

Controllers are the clear pink kinds x2 and the one with the stuck button is gray. One of the pink ones has bite marks though (our crazy dogs:hot:). I'll try the alcohol if I can find it at the store. It sound like it's the time to sell now, but is it best to sell a bundle or piecemeal? I don't really care to deal with Ebay, but if it's easier to sell it some other way I'm down with that:)

[quote name='SaraAB']I would keep them because you would just have to buy them all digitally again if they are available digitally, and digital purchases are a money trap as you can't sell stuff once you buy it. It would also be more expensive to just buy them digitally again rather than just keep them.[/QUOTE]

Personally, all I want to play that I own are Super Mario 64 (which I've already beat), and Rayman 2. I can get rayman for cheap on PSN, and M64 is only $10 on the Virtual Console. The other games I want to play, like Paper Mario or Kirby 64, are way more expensive in cartridge form. It seems alot cheaper to buy digitally actually, and I could use a gamecube controller instead of the pitchfork that is the N64 controller.

[quote name='MrNinjaSquirrel']Controllers are the clear pink kinds x2 and the one with the stuck button is gray. One of the pink ones has bite marks though (our crazy dogs:hot:). I'll try the alcohol if I can find it at the store. It sound like it's the time to sell now, but is it best to sell a bundle or piecemeal? I don't really care to deal with Ebay, but if it's easier to sell it some other way I'm down with that:)[/QUOTE]

So the clear pink I'm guessing you mean Atomic Purple - if that's right those are normally $15-20 on their own depending on condition/how tight the analog stick is. Dog bite marks definitely damage it though so I would see if you can get the grey working and do the grey and Atomic Purple with dog bites bundled with the system and the good Atomic Purple separately.

As for the best way to sell it, if you want the top dollar ($130-$150) list each item individually on eBay though it is more work. The easiest and likely least money though it has the potential for upside (emotional bidding, etc.) is listing it as a bulk lot on eBay.

I do this full time, so I benefit from having shops as well as flea markets I go to to sell locally. You could probably unload it in the $80 range on Craigslist fairly fast however, and that would net you close to the same as a $100 lot on eBay after fees.

[quote name='ferant316']So the clear pink I'm guessing you mean Atomic Purple - if that's right those are normally $15-20 on their own depending on condition/how tight the analog stick is. Dog bite marks definitely damage it though so I would see if you can get the grey working and do the grey and Atomic Purple with dog bites bundled with the system and the good Atomic Purple separately.

As for the best way to sell it, if you want the top dollar ($130-$150) list each item individually on eBay though it is more work. The easiest and likely least money though it has the potential for upside (emotional bidding, etc.) is listing it as a bulk lot on eBay.

I do this full time, so I benefit from having shops as well as flea markets I go to to sell locally. You could probably unload it in the $80 range on Craigslist fairly fast however, and that would net you close to the same as a $100 lot on eBay after fees.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for all the help, I will think it all over for a bit before I decide. Yeah I'm pretty sure that's what it is, I remember seeing them listed as that before. I'll see what I can do about the stuck button. Don't want to be hasty and lose out on a better deal:)

"Maybe I'll use it one day" is the hallmark of keeping way too much unnecessary stuff.

I only know because I also suffer from it; my backlog of games, spanning everything from SNES to the present day attests to this. "Maybe I'll play it one day" is my mantra.

Well, an example reality check (for myself): am I REALLY going to play Army of Two, when I've got Halo 4, Deus Ex, and The Witcher 2 waiting on deck?

No. No way in hell. I could potentially force myself to play it, sure, in addition to 100 other games, but time is limited and increasingly valuable.

If, after playing the top games from my backlog, I REALLY want to play Army of Two (or its equivalent), it's damned easy to replace. But considering the gaming machine just keeps moving forward with new games, HD collections and other re-releases, that's just never, ever going to happen.

So, yes, I'm selling Army of Two - along with about 50 average-ish, brethren titles.

If you have something unique in your collection, then I'd opt to keep whatever it is. But if it's easily replaceable, then worry and fret not.

[quote name='AugustAPC']I think you'd be looking at around $85[/QUOTE]
I think this is more realistic as to the price point of your games. N64s themselves aren't very expensive. $15~$30 depending on condition, what it comes with, etc. Since it has an expansion pak you're looking at a higher price for the system.

So, system $20~$30
Controllers at $10 each (maybe, if the directional stick is wonky most people don't bother)
Banjo and SM64 are around $15 each.
Diddy Kong Racing at around $10.
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron and the Beetle Racing around $2~$3 each.

As mentioned in the thread, I'd go for putting the lot up for $100 because of the fees, but if you're CLing it you might want to stick to around $85 for the lot, and if you do I'm sure you'll get plenty of interested people.

[quote name='Kylearan']"Maybe I'll use it one day" is the hallmark of keeping way too much unnecessary stuff.

I only know because I also suffer from it; my backlog of games, spanning everything from SNES to the present day attests to this. "Maybe I'll play it one day" is my mantra.

Well, an example reality check (for myself): am I REALLY going to play Army of Two, when I've got Halo 4, Deus Ex, and The Witcher 2 waiting on deck?

No. No way in hell. I could potentially force myself to play it, sure, in addition to 100 other games, but time is limited and increasingly valuable.

If, after playing the top games from my backlog, I REALLY want to play Army of Two (or its equivalent), it's damned easy to replace. But considering the gaming machine just keeps moving forward with new games, HD collections and other re-releases, that's just never, ever going to happen.

So, yes, I'm selling Army of Two - along with about 50 average-ish, brethren titles.

If you have something unique in your collection, then I'd opt to keep whatever it is. But if it's easily replaceable, then worry and fret not.[/QUOTE]

This is good advice. I don't think I have anything unique, so there really is no point in keeping it. I've got probably 30 games outside of these that I need to play, just like you. So I'll look into selling it, thanks for all the advice everyone:)

[quote name='Kylearan']"Maybe I'll use it one day" is the hallmark of keeping way too much unnecessary stuff.

If you have something unique in your collection, then I'd opt to keep whatever it is. But if it's easily replaceable, then worry and fret not.[/QUOTE]

What is this collection of games you be selling? I may be interested, haha.

Console with controllers-50
Diddy Kong Racing-10
Banjo-15
Mario 64-15
Rogue Squadron-5
Beetle Adventure Racing-5

To be fair, when I said 110 I was including the other games too which he mentioned he could probably sell.

Rayman-15
The four assorted games-15 in a lot

That's 130. In a lot you'll get less but 110 is still very likely. N64 stuff has gone up the last year or so. You have nothing rare or super valuable but some of this stuff is worth a few bucks. I personally have regretted when I have sold things in the past and I don't like digital but if those solutions will work for you selling is probably the way to go.

I kind of feel this way about old handheld games, I am not going to go back and play GB games when I have tons of 3DS games that I want to play. Console stuff is a bit different, it has more charm and that is what people want to play when they come over. The graphics look fine on my CRT TV and you don't have to play on a 2 inch green screen. It's also getting harder and harder to find old console stuff in the wild. I am pretty sure the stuff I have won't devalue past the point of what I paid for it at yard sales so its worth keeping to me. If I want to sell it at any point then that is my choice and it can be sold at any point should I find myself in financial trouble.

Which is why a ton of my old handheld games are now going up on eBay for sale.... Since I won't play them ever again. I will however be keeping the Pokemon ones and some others.

[quote name='SaraAB']I kind of feel this way about old handheld games, I am not going to go back and play GB games when I have tons of 3DS games that I want to play. Console stuff is a bit different, it has more charm and that is what people want to play when they come over. The graphics look fine on my CRT TV and you don't have to play on a 2 inch green screen. It's also getting harder and harder to find old console stuff in the wild. I am pretty sure the stuff I have won't devalue past the point of what I paid for it at yard sales so its worth keeping to me. If I want to sell it at any point then that is my choice and it can be sold at any point should I find myself in financial trouble.

Which is why a ton of my old handheld games are now going up on eBay for sale.... Since I won't play them ever again. I will however be keeping the Pokemon ones and some others.[/QUOTE]

I feel the same, but sold off most of my GB games or lost then, when I was a kid. I paid probably about $100 or so for everything over the course of this, so I could probably at least make it back. I'm hesitant now though, so I think I'll play it a bit and see how I feel. I don't have a CRT anywhere I'd like to play, but somehow the N64 is fairing better than my PS2 did before component cables. Not sure how that works :roll:

[quote name='Bing147']Console with controllers-50
Diddy Kong Racing-10
Banjo-15
Mario 64-15
Rogue Squadron-5
Beetle Adventure Racing-5

To be fair, when I said 110 I was including the other games too which he mentioned he could probably sell.

Rayman-15
The four assorted games-15 in a lot

That's 130. In a lot you'll get less but 110 is still very likely. N64 stuff has gone up the last year or so. You have nothing rare or super valuable but some of this stuff is worth a few bucks. I personally have regretted when I have sold things in the past and I don't like digital but if those solutions will work for you selling is probably the way to go.[/QUOTE]

wow, where do you live? j/k
online maybe this amount if sold individually..but then subtract the fees...
I'd sell mario, banjo and just the expansion pack online... and then the rest on craigs as a bundle...
but locally? even at $100 where I live the ad would just sit on craigs...
but op, gl on your decision!

[quote name='MrNinjaSquirrel']I feel the same, but sold off most of my GB games or lost then, when I was a kid. I paid probably about $100 or so for everything over the course of this, so I could probably at least make it back. I'm hesitant now though, so I think I'll play it a bit and see how I feel. I don't have a CRT anywhere I'd like to play, but somehow the N64 is fairing better than my PS2 did before component cables. Not sure how that works :roll:[/QUOTE]

Yeah I am only keeping the GB/GBC games I might actually want to play again, there really aren't that many good GB games worth revisiting. I do have the backilt SP though which makes me want to keep more of them since they look the best on that system. But I know Nintendo will just re-release them on the e-shop for like $5.99 to 9.99 each so I may as well hang onto a few so I don't have to rebuy them later down the line for more than I originally paid for them. Some of these games I paid 25 cents to $5 for so I may as well just keep them, its nothing for me to pull out a cart and play it on a different system, I don't need everything digital on one system. There is no guarantee digital purchases will ever transfer over either so thinking long term I am better off just keeping my cheap carts.

I am glad people are still using the old consoles on flat screens since that means the market for these systems will stay alive and I can continue to hold onto my stuff and sell it when I feel I need to. Though really, there should be enough CRT's around for a long while to keep the old games going.

GBA games were a lot better in quality, but I have a feeling a lot of those are going to tank in value after Nintendo wisens up and releases digital version of them. The prices for GB-GBA stuff online is pretty insane right now and I have a sick collection of boxed games to sell off...

I would love to sell my pokemon games as they are bringing 70+ a complete copy and that would be quite a hunk of money to make but I can't bring myself to part with them.

I am definitely holding onto my N64 stuff though as I paid very little for each game and they are now selling for way more than I paid, I think the most I ever paid for a N64 game was 7.99 for Pokemon Stadium 2 so again I may as well just keep them. I also have the clear red system which is just pretty to look at so its a combo worth holding onto for me. My cousin wanted to get into N64 games and he paid 30+ a cart for whatever games he was able to afford as a pre-teen.

[quote name='Bing147']Those are online prices. Which is why I said more like 100 on a forum.[/QUOTE]

As someone who did ALOT of looking for n64 consoles on ebay (was interested in getting another retro but decided on a ps1 w/LCD) I'd say ATLEAST 100 is a very safe bet on ebay for the lot, try getting some super cheap games like Pokemon snap, people will OVERPAY on big bundles, and big names like pokemon stick out. People buying console's dont like piecing together library's, so cheap games like turok & turok 2, REALLY help out a listing for it.

The added ram pack for games like Donkey kong can get $25 alone easy. Trust me on ebay there wont be any risk, if anything? Keep some of the more valuble games and just hold onto them.
Try a 7 day auction, start it on a friday or saturday around 9-10 pm and you will be FINE.
You have a case of reverse psychology, you want to sell it, and dont play it much, but then you think BUT WHAT IF LATER I WILL.
Sell it, if the collection was more serious/bigger I'd say keep it, but it's not a big thing of nostalgia for you like you said.

[quote name='Hemi']
Try a 7 day auction, start it on a friday or saturday around 9-10 pm and you will be FINE.[/QUOTE]

If OP is trying to get the most for his money, that would be a bad idea. Why would you want your auction to end late at night on a Friday/Saturday when people are more likely to not be at their computers? Some eBay guide sites seem to theorize Sunday afternoons/evenings as the best time to sell. Selling on Friday/Saturday nights or late at night or while most people are working is a good way not to get the most money you can. You've got to pick dates and times where you'll have the most eyes from both the east coast and west coast available if you want to try and get the most money you can.

I'll chime in and say just sell the lot, especially since nostalgia isn't a factor for you. I've lamented in the past the sale of my old Genesis, PSone, N64 and PS2 games / systems, and while there were a choice few that have become more of a rarity, most all of them can be bought back up relatively easy (should I be so inclined).

What I've gained (besides the money of course) is a cleaner gaming shelf with titles I will actually play, and with playing time becoming even more limited as I age, it would be much more painful to look at the retro selection that I know I'll never touch.

If you are a serious game collector with space / time / money not a limiting factor, then keep them, otherwise clear the storage up. The only other factor that could sway your decision in keeping the system in any way is if you plan to go thrift shopping for cheap N64 games, and you would need to system to play test them before flipping them, which also doesn't sound like your cup o' tea.

[quote name='Billytwoshoes']I'll chime in and say just sell the lot, especially since nostalgia isn't a factor for you. I've lamented in the past the sale of my old Genesis, PSone, N64 and PS2 games / systems, and while there were a choice few that have become more of a rarity, most all of them can be bought back up relatively easy (should I be so inclined).

What I've gained (besides the money of course) is a cleaner gaming shelf with titles I will actually play, and with playing time becoming even more limited as I age, it would be much more painful to look at the retro selection that I know I'll never touch.

If you are a serious game collector with space / time / money not a limiting factor, then keep them, otherwise clear the storage up. The only other factor that could sway your decision in keeping the system in any way is if you plan to go thrift shopping for cheap N64 games, and you would need to system to play test them before flipping them, which also doesn't sound like your cup o' tea.[/QUOTE]
I'd be cool with flipping, but all my thrift stores suck for games. Just sports games 99% of the time. I once saw two virtual boys and an NES at once, but that was a fluke. I'll probably sell it in a little bit. Getting everything together, taking photos, and writing a listing will take a bit. I'm torn on the "buy games to get more", as that could end up falling through. I think I'll take a look at the cheap bin in my local Used store, and see what I find, but I don't want to spend so much I lose money on the return. All good advice though:applause:

op, if you are going the EBay route, take less than a couple minutes and scan the recently sold console bundles...
I was curious and just checked (after someone wrote $100 would be no problem...)
Expansion pack with game bundles are Selling for $50 - $70... now subtract your fees and controller issues...

GL on whatever route you take

[quote name='donut']op, if you are going the EBay route, take less than a couple minutes and scan the recently sold console bundles...
I was curious and just checked (after someone wrote $100 would be no problem...)
Expansion pack with game bundles are Selling for $50 - $70... now subtract your fees and controller issues...

GL on whatever route you take[/QUOTE]

Well...now I'm not sure...will sleep on it...

[quote name='juangrande386']Id tell ya to pickup an Everdrive 64 but im sure some people on here will get mad and yell at me........whoops! :p[/QUOTE]

Honestly I don't see how that would help, and $175 is a lot more than I could get for the bundle anyway (the cost of the Everdrive 64). Not sure how that's relevant:roll:

I have a smoke grey clear N64 and I play some games with friends when they come over. I think my N64 might be a rare variant if I find a normal black console I'll use that one instead of my clear N64.

[quote name='200STM']I have a smoke grey clear N64 and I play some games with friends when they come over. I think my N64 might be a rare variant if I find a normal black console I'll use that one instead of my clear N64.[/QUOTE]

Mines just th boring black one. I was going to get a clear blue, but it was sold before I got back. Still annoyed about that:cry:

Were these all bought new and yours/brother's?

Also if everything is complete, you could easily get $100+. If everything were mint the value probably be $150-$175

[quote name='200STM']I have a smoke grey clear N64 and I play some games with friends when they come over. I think my N64 might be a rare variant if I find a normal black console I'll use that one instead of my clear N64.[/QUOTE]

That system was part of the Funtastic Series. Nintendo released them in six different colors; Fire Orange, Grape Purple, Ice Blue, Jungle Green, Smoke Gray and Watermelon Red. In North America they also released a Pikachu Nintendo 64 and a Golden one.

[quote name='Gamer SDP']Were these all bought new and yours/brother's?

Also if everything is complete, you could easily get $100+. If everything were mint the value probably be $150-$175[/QUOTE]

Oh no, none of the games are more than a cartridge. Like I said, I got in late on the N64, and really just played the cheap or notable games. Didn't see a reason in paying more for a box (stupid 12 year old logic)

[quote name='MrNinjaSquirrel']I'd be cool with flipping, but all my thrift stores suck for games. Just sports games 99% of the time. I once saw two virtual boys and an NES at once, but that was a fluke. I'll probably sell it in a little bit. Getting everything together, taking photos, and writing a listing will take a bit. I'm torn on the "buy games to get more", as that could end up falling through. I think I'll take a look at the cheap bin in my local Used store, and see what I find, but I don't want to spend so much I lose money on the return. All good advice though:applause:[/QUOTE]

Yeah this stuff is getting really hard to find in my area, a few years ago N64's were everywhere and the games were cheap, again 25 cents to $3 games were routine finds. I can only hit yard sales during the summer due to being in the northeast then you never know what you are going to find and if you will find anything at all, sometimes you can go for weeks without anything. Thrift stores here have nothing in terms of games so that is not an option for me. Its not like I can magically go to a thrift and rebuy my collection for $20 if I decided to sell it off, it would take A LOT of work to put it back together for cheap prices again, and for the work I would have to put into it I may as well just save myself a lot of time and gas money by purchasing a lot of guaranteed to work stuff from ebay.

Some people say sell, some say buy more, idk what to do. At this rate I'll probably just keep it and try and build up a better collection. Some carts are just so expensive, I'll have to keep an eye out

[quote name='MrNinjaSquirrel']Some people say sell, some say buy more, idk what to do. At this rate I'll probably just keep it and try and build up a better collection. Some carts are just so expensive, I'll have to keep an eye out[/QUOTE]

lol yeah but bottom line is if you are going the Ebay route to sell anything - always check the actual "sold" listings to see what your item(s) are actually selling for ...
and condition is very important, so disclose in detail all issues...

and in my humble opinion, unless what I was selling was incomplete (eg missing a power cord, a controller, etc) and buying the missing component cheaply to make it whole to sell for more... I would never invest extra $ that I may not get back...

[quote name='donut']lol yeah but bottom line is if you are going the Ebay route to sell anything - always check the actual "sold" listings to see what your item(s) are actually selling for ...
and condition is very important, so disclose in detail all issues...

and in my humble opinion, unless what I was selling was incomplete (eg missing a power cord, a controller, etc) and buying the missing component cheaply to make it whole to sell for more... I would never invest extra $ that I may not get back...[/QUOTE]

Yeah I know, I've been selling a lot on ebay lately. I'm just gonna hope I find some cheap games at thrift shops that I want. It's mainly the fact that I'm feeling really lazy lately, and don't want to worry about packaging it all, listing it, taking pic etc. I don't think it's going to lose a ton of it's value, and I can hold of on my purchases for now. I really appreciate all the advice everyone has given, you've really helped alot:applause:

bread's done
Back