Retron 5 Coming Soon! GEN, MD, NES, FC, SNES, SFC, GB, GBC, GBA

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#31 Friend of Sonic

Friend of Sonic

Toneman.org coming soon..

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:40 AM

This thing sounds amazing. I want to get some flash carts and go to fucking town.

I'm also intensely curious how the upscaling will look in person and in action.
You hurt the right person and you're wrong for life.

#32 TrumpetDan

TrumpetDan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:38 AM

It'll probably be very expensive but I want it.

Their unveiling video that came out of the Midwest Gaming Classic made mention it would be under $100.

#33 J7.

J7.

Posted 04 August 2013 - 04:08 AM

Some new impressions:

http://nerdreactor.c...to-one-package/

Super Punch Out on an LCD looks amazing! Goto 1:44-1:55. http://www.youtube.c...h?v=nFsf0hmaeXs

#34 RatedU4Ugly

RatedU4Ugly

I like lamp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 August 2013 - 12:13 PM

Wow thanks for posting my video of the Retron 5 announcement. I also sat down with David from Hyperkin and we spoke about the system. David will be on podcast in a few weeks to talk about the Retron 5 again and when it will be released.

#35 J7.

J7.

Posted 04 August 2013 - 11:18 PM

Wow thanks for posting my video of the Retron 5 announcement. I also sat down with David from Hyperkin and we spoke about the system. David will be on podcast in a few weeks to talk about the Retron 5 again and when it will be released.

Oh, wow, you're welcome. I'm gonna watch this interview. Look forward to any more information you have! Can't wait for Retron 5!

#36 RatedU4Ugly

RatedU4Ugly

I like lamp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 August 2013 - 04:29 AM

I just got confirmation that David from Hyperkin will be on my podcast on the 12th :) We will be talking more about the Retron5

#37 J7.

J7.

Posted 06 August 2013 - 05:01 AM

I hope they announce a release date soon. Looking forward to your next video.

#38 RatedU4Ugly

RatedU4Ugly

I like lamp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:20 PM

Me too, last I had heard they are pushing it back to this fall. You know I will ask him when he is on. I guess I should ask the community what you want me to ask him... I don't think I can make posts yet

#39 J7.

J7.

Posted 12 August 2013 - 04:20 AM

I have 2 questions. One, have they ever thought of releasing a flash cart or rereleasing old games on cartridge by acquiring a license from the publishers, for ex: rerelease Final Fantasy 6 on SNES Cart for $19.99-29.99. Two, have they considered creating online play support for games on Retron 5, basically tricking the hardware into thinking there are 2 local players via the internet like an emulator does?

#40 J7.

J7.

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:08 AM

This new article has a comparison of the regular visuals and one of the filter's visuals. Big difference. http://www.tomsguide...news-17491.html

#41 bsesb2003

bsesb2003

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:53 AM

I thought this was going to be released end of summer? Well?

[cp][/cp]

#42 J7.

J7.

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:55 AM

Ya me too. Hope it's out before Xmas.

#43 Richard Kain

Richard Kain

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:15 PM

Hyperkin has gone on record stating that it is "done when it's done." While they were originally shooting for a summer release date, they have not provided an actual release date, and still haven't. At the moment, it is still expected to arrive this year, but there remains no firm release date.

It is likely that they are still tweaking and testing the design at this point, and haven't finished the system to their satisfaction. It is understandable that they would want to get this one right. From the fan reaction, this could be their flagship product for the next few years. It will also help to drive sales of the reproduction classic controllers Hyperkin produces. It's a good idea to give this one a little more time in the oven, as opposed to rushing it to production.

I too am disappointed by them dragging their feet on the release date. At the same time, I applaud them for not bending to pressure and crapping out a half-baked product. I am very much looking forward to this device.

#44 movie_mike

movie_mike

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:39 PM

Amazon has the preorder up for the RetroN 5. It's releasing October 31st for $99.99. Posting from my phone so apologies if the link doesn't work.

http://www.amazon.co...edir_mdp_mobile

#45 Richard Kain

Richard Kain

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:12 PM

Amazon pre-order dates are never hard-and-fast. Until Hyperkin themselves makes an announcement, I'm assuming that there is no release date yet.

#46 uncle5555

uncle5555

Grumpy Veteran CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2013 - 07:13 AM

Just preordered it earlier, I tried out my SNES last weekend to test out a new game I got only to find out the damn thing wasn't working good (last time I played it was a little over a year ago) had to clean the contacts with an official cleaning kit and it worked fine.  Problem is now, I had to fire Castlevania 4, like 15-20 times before it worked then it froze, locked up, I had issues with Simon only whipping when I pressed left on the controller and down to jump(?!?!) and other oddities.  Tried Secret of Evermore (the game I bought) and after many failed attempts it finally worked too.  (didn't want to delete the saved files accidentally)  Sounds like the game connector in the system is failing from what I read.

But after that crap, I decided to look into a cheap clone (don't want 20+ year old hardware that might or might not work anymore) and was about to get a Retron 3, until I read the Retron 5 was on the way.  Hopefully it makes the release date, then I'll be more apt to play more retro stuff on that system on the HD TV's then I have been in the past.

The CAG motto: "Maybe you'll luck out and get the game during a sale before it sells out, maybe not, that's the life of a CAG. Luck of the draw. And timing is everything."

#47 anotherpoorgamer

anotherpoorgamer

Bird's Nest Hair

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2013 - 03:46 PM

Just preordered it earlier, I tried out my SNES last weekend to test out a new game I got only to find out the damn thing wasn't working good (last time I played it was a little over a year ago) had to clean the contacts with an official cleaning kit and it worked fine.  Problem is now, I had to fire Castlevania 4, like 15-20 times before it worked then it froze, locked up, I had issues with Simon only whipping when I pressed left on the controller and down to jump(?!?!) and other oddities.  Tried Secret of Evermore (the game I bought) and after many failed attempts it finally worked too.  (didn't want to delete the saved files accidentally)  Sounds like the game connector in the system is failing from what I read.

But after that crap, I decided to look into a cheap clone (don't want 20+ year old hardware that might or might not work anymore) and was about to get a Retron 3, until I read the Retron 5 was on the way.  Hopefully it makes the release date, then I'll be more apt to play more retro stuff on that system on the HD TV's then I have been in the past.

This is one of the main reasons I kind of want this Retron 5. I have had all my old school systems in storage for more than a year now. I really don't want to mess with the systems not working properly.  Another reason being able to play them on an HDTV.

It is a shame that you can't run games from the SD card slot, but that might cut into sales of Virtual Console games and other re-releases.

#48 J7.

J7.

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:20 PM

I wish it looked like the Super Retro Trio. super_retro_trio.0_cinema_640.0.jpg

What color Retron 5 do you want?

#49 movie_mike

movie_mike

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2013 - 05:52 AM

How did everyone else do on the preorder. I snagged mine right when it was announced and before it even hit the message boards here. BUT... Amazon is still saying likely ship date won't happen till Jan 7th-10th :-s

I preordered one for me and another for my sister for Xmas. A little annoyed with that. Did anyone else have a better experience or is this normal. (I'm also a Prime member)

#50 uncle5555

uncle5555

Grumpy Veteran CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 September 2013 - 12:37 PM

This is one of the main reasons I kind of want this Retron 5. I have had all my old school systems in storage for more than a year now. I really don't want to mess with the systems not working properly.  Another reason being able to play them on an HDTV.

It is a shame that you can't run games from the SD card slot, but that might cut into sales of Virtual Console games and other re-releases.

Amazon sells a flash cart (no more can be said) for SNES.  I'd check that out if you want to go that route. And from what I read it worked fine with the Retron 3, so I see no reason why it won't work with the Retron 5.

Be nice to be able to back up my 90 min. speed run of Super Metroid so it's not long gone when my cart battery finally dies one day.

How did everyone else do on the preorder. I snagged mine right when it was announced and before it even hit the message boards here. BUT... Amazon is still saying likely ship date won't happen till Jan 7th-10th :-s

I preordered one for me and another for my sister for Xmas. A little annoyed with that. Did anyone else have a better experience or is this normal. (I'm also a Prime member)

That's what mine said as well. 

Listening to a youtube video that RatedU4Ugly posted over in this thread http://www.cheapassg...a-release-date/

And I'd be shocked if they don't ship sooner, even Hyperkin is asking why the late ship date, as they say they'll have'em ready by then.  So I wouldn't be too worried about that.

The CAG motto: "Maybe you'll luck out and get the game during a sale before it sells out, maybe not, that's the life of a CAG. Luck of the draw. And timing is everything."

#51 NewportBox100s

NewportBox100s

It's Gucci! BURR!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 October 2013 - 05:30 PM

Is this still coming out ? I want this . .

#52 RatedU4Ugly

RatedU4Ugly

I like lamp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 October 2013 - 04:16 AM

December 10th

#53 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

Look at that deal. It's so great!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:45 AM

I've heard River City Ransom is a PITA to play because of he flickering. I'm guessing this thing won't fix it.

Batsugunner.png

#54 uncle5555

uncle5555

Grumpy Veteran CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:20 PM

I've heard River City Ransom is a PITA to play because of he flickering. I'm guessing this thing won't fix it.

There's always the GBA game, that plays on this too. ;)

#55 KillerRamen

KillerRamen

OMG Lilac PSP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:03 PM

Stone-Age Gamer is offering a mini-Power Base converter thing for an extra $18 with a pre-order of the Retron 5.

http://www.stoneageg...om/retron5.html

Posted Image

#56 ludus

ludus

CAG Ultra Noob

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:07 PM

Had no idea this was in the making. I will have to get it for sure. And for only $99, that's a bargain if you ask me. I don't have all of my retro consoles anymore and this would be a nice device to take place of those missing. Of course nothing could really take their places, but it'll have to do. 

LeaptradeForumSignature.jpg

#57 KillerRamen

KillerRamen

OMG Lilac PSP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 November 2013 - 12:48 AM

Not even clones can have flawless launches! :cry:

Retron 5 delayed until Q1 2014 due to faulty pins.

http://hyperkin.com/...tron-5-release/

Posted Image

#58 soonersfan60

soonersfan60

Longing for retro CAG...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 November 2013 - 01:18 AM

Better a delay than returns and recalls...

#59 anotherpoorgamer

anotherpoorgamer

Bird's Nest Hair

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 November 2013 - 04:09 PM

You know I would so buy a Retron # that played disc based games.  I kind of want a Sega CDX clone, more at the moment.

#60 Richard Kain

Richard Kain

Posted 02 December 2013 - 04:24 PM

This is why I don't pre-order things.

While it sucks that the Retron 5 is coming later, my wallet can live with this delay. I've already spent way too much this holiday season. I need to slow down. Having the $100 Retron 5 coming out next year will give me a few months break.