Should I sell my video game collection?

swatman27

CAGiversary!
Feedback
67 (100%)
Hi everybody. I have some games that I have been collecting for the past few years, and im starting to realize that I don't play like 90% of them. I just have them and I just wanted to know if you think I should sell them or hold on to them. The majority are GameCube Discs and Xbox 360 games (a lot of steelbooks). I know that a lot of people collect video games, but I don't know if I should if they're just going to go down in value and collect dust. All suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :)

PS: If I decide to sell them, CAG will be the first place that I sell them (in my trade list). If I do, they should be in my trade list in a couple days.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd say it depends on the rarity (that is, availability). If it's something that's easy to find, I wouldn't mind letting it go (then again, they won't fetch much). If it was a personal favorite with sentimental value, or something very rare (like the GameCube version of OoT/Master Quest) no way would I get rid of that. Rare games will sell for a lot, but they gain more value every year that passes.

As a rule, I don't sell my games unless it's something I bought and don't like

If you truly feel like they're collecting dust and have no sentimental value to them, sure. I wouldn't mind seeing a list of what you have.

Sell the games with no sentimental value or interest in playing.

Keep the important stuff that you will want to play down the road and you actually enjoy playing.

I used to be like you. Buying so many games and collecting them. I ended up selling all my collections. Money is more valuable than something collecting dust.

I personally love collecting, but if they don't matter to you, sell them and buy ones you do play! Would be interested to know what gamecube games you have, I've been looking for some recently:)

Yea, if it's just collecting dust it's better to let someone else enjoy it and have the cash in pocket for something you will use. I just got rid of some retro stuff for newer stuff that I'll play. Doesn't bother me in the least and it's win/win for both parties.

I normally sell my old games when new gen console comes out. I've been starting to off load my Xbox 1 games as I never went back to play them. I even got games that I haven't even unwrapped. Some are selling more than what I paid for.

It's really up to you. It's your collection so you need to make that choice. Good luck.

[quote name='Methoes']I normally sell my old games when new gen console comes out. I've been starting to off load my Xbox 1 games as I never went back to play them. I even got games that I haven't even unwrapped. Some are selling more than what I paid for.

It's really up to you. It's your collection so you need to make that choice. Good luck.[/QUOTE]

Do you have KOTOR? I've been trying to find a copy, but the cheapest is usually $15 or so, in lousy condition:(

[quote name='unopepito06']I'd say it depends on the rarity (that is, availability). If it's something that's easy to find, I wouldn't mind letting it go (then again, they won't fetch much). If it was a personal favorite with sentimental value, or something very rare (like the GameCube version of OoT/Master Quest) no way would I get rid of that. Rare games will sell for a lot, but they gain more value every year that passes.

As a rule, I don't sell my games unless it's something I bought and don't like[/QUOTE]

disagree with that totally.. something rare today is junk tomorrow....

Gallop racer for the ps2 was rare and fetched around 100 bucks sealed at one time... now your lucky to get 5 out of it

I would love to dump off my PSP and DS collection but i doubt i would get more then 500 out of my psp collection and that is with around 80 games what 50 of them are rpg games

and around 1000 out of my ds collection what has over 125 to 150 games

and i would rather have them rot then sell them that cheap.... Hell i got around 600 NES games rotting in my basement alone with 100+ ps2 games most used to fetch money (most of them are rpgs)

I'd say you should sell them. I've collected RPGs which is my favorite genre and had a closet full of them. New games keep coming out and I just never seem to have the time to go back and play them. It's pretty liberating to shrink the collection down the games I've played and had good times with rather than keeping every RPG I could get my hands on.

[quote name='ZForce915']Sell it. Clear the clutter and never look back.[/QUOTE]

100% Agree. The way I look at it, I collect the memories of playing them in my head. The physical copy of the game doesn't mean much to me. I sell games I have completed and use the $ toward new games/experiences. With the new consoles coming out this Fall I will be blowing thru the backlog and cleaning house all summer into Fall.

The one thing no one has mentioned is that the value of your games could be VERY low. Depending on who you sell to, you might be looking at 0.50 cents for a game you paid $60 for when it was new. You know the saying buy low, sell high? Well if you're only netting penny's on the dollar for your games, it might be wiser to throw them in a closet and revisit this decision 10 years from now. Totally up to you.

Gamecube games are worth a pretty good amount now due to their overall scarcity, I'd say sell them before Nintendo starts making them all widely available in digital formats. That really hurts the value.

i personally collect. its a hobby but if you really don't have space then yes sell. Personally I rather keep my games because I used to trade in my games for many years and I regret it especially a lot of games going up in value or retains some value.

here's my collection.
D94FE9A6-F1DB-465C-B7AA-8CEEF0B319C9-44857-0000381D6AECD3D2.jpg

D7B7AC63-4A4D-4DB7-A19A-65097AD6E3AB-44857-0000381D35748082.jpg

F789AC77-37F7-4309-A1BE-3F28DE876733-44857-0000381D50F6B457.jpg

11D16ED0-5BE7-40AE-A993-889CB5D0898C-44882-0000382036E2AA15.jpg

79259A35-02BF-48D2-B0C5-33CAA3D3E30C-44882-0000381F964D2F55.jpg

bread's done
Back