Animal Crossing: New Leaf $34.99 on Amazon (Pre-order price guarantee)

I've had two copies preordered forever from amazon at $40. Is the guarantee that my preorder always locks into the lowest price during the entire preorder, or only if the final price at shipping time is lower? I'm just imagining this jumping back to $40 and they don't adjust it.

Edit: Their policy says "The order summary in Your Account will reflect the lowest price within 24 hours of the price change." I'll keep an eye on it tomorrow and see if it changes.

[quote name='emperordahc']I've had two copies preordered forever from amazon at $40. Is the guarantee that my preorder always locks into the lowest price during the entire preorder, or only if the final price at shipping time is lower? I'm just imagining this jumping back to $40 and they don't adjust it.

Edit: Their policy says "The order summary in Your Account will reflect the lowest price within 24 hours of the price change." I'll keep an eye on it tomorrow and see if it changes.[/QUOTE]

From my experience, they lock me into the lowest pre order price during the entire pre order. Note: this probably applies to the time I made the pre order, onward (not before) :)

I had a pre-order at Newegg for $32.xx, but I think I prefer $35 w/ 2-day shipping. This is definitely a game I'd want to have sooner rather than later. So thanks, OP.

I'm just going to digital download it the day of release, I want this game so bad i'd be willing to pay above msrp to play it right now. I'm starting to buy more of my games digital now since I have a bad habit of trading in games.

Think I'm going to wait for reviews, there has been so little difference between the Gamecube, Wii and DS versions of the game that I am not sure Nintendo knows how to make this franchise fresh.

[quote name='VideoGameCollector17']Thanks OP! Just put an order down, now I need to find a great deal on a 3DS. This & Luigi's Mansion are the reason for me to purchase a 3DS![/QUOTE]

If nothing pops up before 4/30 you're probably better off just buying the Mario Kart XL bundle then registering it and luigi's mansion at club nintendo to get a free game.

http://club2.nintendo.com/3ds-xl-promo/

[quote name='Psyae']I had a pre-order at Newegg for $32.xx, but I think I prefer $35 w/ 2-day shipping. This is definitely a game I'd want to have sooner rather than later. So thanks, OP.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm - it appears I have this preordered at Newegg for $29.99. I might just put in an order at Amazon in case I feel like changing it later. I might want 2 copies anyway (one for me and one for my son).

[quote name='RiPPn']
Think I'm going to wait for reviews, there has been so little difference between the Gamecube, Wii and DS versions of the game that I am not sure Nintendo knows how to make this franchise fresh. [/quote]

I am concerned about this too. I played the GC version a ton, the DS one a lot but much less than the GC, and the Wii one barely at all. They just completely failed to innovate across the series. That isn't necessarily a problem as Animal Crossing is a classic - but it just didn't have the staying power for me without new stuff. I really thought they should make online-only areas to explore and find unique items/fish/etc. These areas would only be available for a certain time and change constantly. Something like that would make it much more appealing. I heard there will be much more DLC (all free) this time, but I'm not even sure that is quite enough.

Thanks, OP. Put in a pre-order. If Newegg or somewhere else offers it for less I'll just cancel, but I wanted to lock in the price at Amazon just in case.

[quote name='RiPPn']Think I'm going to wait for reviews, there has been so little difference between the Gamecube, Wii and DS versions of the game that I am not sure Nintendo knows how to make this franchise fresh.[/QUOTE]

I know what you mean as they definitely half assed both animal crossing games that came out after the game cube buy removing events/content and watering down the game. Do remember the game cube version was the first of it's kind so the charm and novelty was hard to replicate.

I will get this one on the 3DS as they've gotten rid of you paying Tom Nook's outrageous amount of debt from the get and you start off as mayor early on to bring the town to life. I haven't seen the events or mini games yet however on YouTube I was watching a video diary of a guy playing the game with commentary and the fact you can visit other people's without the need for friend codes is already a selling point to me. Plus the 3DS has spot pass and street pass action going on so I'm only sure there will be lots of things to add to your catalog in the months to come after it's initial release. I miss collecting the silly NES retro games lol.

Don't lose hope but I do agree with your point

I think that digital is the only way this game can be fully enjoyed.

Since there's going to be days where you stop in for a few mins just to tidy up things and move on it's a pain to swap out the cards. I have it preordered on Newegg for 27.99 but really think I'll just cancel that and go digital for the convenience.

[quote name='Jaysonguy']I think that digital is the only way this game can be fully enjoyed.

Since there's going to be days where you stop in for a few mins just to tidy up things and move on it's a pain to swap out the cards. I have it preordered on Newegg for 27.99 but really think I'll just cancel that and go digital for the convenience.[/QUOTE]

How long does it take you to swap out cards? Is it a hour long ordeal?

My question is this: How is Nintendo going to treat this release? Are they gonna pull the same bullshit they pulled with Fire Emblem Awakening and ship enough copies of the game to maybe fill half the pre-orders that are made in a shallow attempt to push their digital game? The irony is this is one of very few games I'd be willing to buy digital, since this is a great game to just pick up and play anytime, pour hundreds of hours into, and has infinite replayability, as opposed to something like SM3DL or OoT. Besides SSBB, Metroid Prime Trilogy, and Mario Kart Wii, City Folk was the only Wii game I played enough to break the 100 hour mark, I think I topped out around 300 hours or so, and paying full price to alleviate the very minor inconvience of keeping the cart with my 3DS might actually be worth considering.. But between Nintendo's dick move with Fire Emblem Awakening, and the fact that they refuse to put an account system on 3DS, I don't see myself supporting the eshop for a long time to come. Funny how that works out....

[quote name='malethief']I know what you mean as they definitely half assed both animal crossing games that came out after the game cube buy removing events/content and watering down the game. Do remember the game cube version was the first of it's kind so the charm and novelty was hard to replicate.

I will get this one on the 3DS as they've gotten rid of you paying Tom Nook's outrageous amount of debt from the get and you start off as mayor early on to bring the town to life. I haven't seen the events or mini games yet however on YouTube I was watching a video diary of a guy playing the game with commentary and the fact you can visit other people's without the need for friend codes is already a selling point to me. Plus the 3DS has spot pass and street pass action going on so I'm only sure there will be lots of things to add to your catalog in the months to come after it's initial release. I miss collecting the silly NES retro games lol.

Don't lose hope but I do agree with your point[/QUOTE]

Who uses streetpass? Seriously? I maybe get 3 streetpasses a month, if that, and aside from the occasional Mario Kart ghost data nobody I streetpass has any games. I couldn't care less about puzzle pieces or Find Mii too. It's hardly a selling point. Spotpass isn't much better given Nintendo's history; IIRC spotpass support for KI:U is ending this month. Didn't that game launch less than a year ago? What makes anybody think they'll treat Animal Crossing any differently?
I'm certain I am in the minority but I am not happy to hear about Tom Nook's servitude being removed. I get that a lot of people didn't like it, but it gave you something to work towards in the game. With that gone, you will truely lack any hard goals in the game aside from maybe filling the museum. It gave me a purpose to work for, and a reason to actually save all those bells.

Visiting other people's towns without friendcodes is a cool feature though assuming you have some protection from the seeders who could literally break your game in WW, and the assholes who steal all your flowers and cut down your trees. If not, I don't see this feature getting any use for a lot of people either.

Do we know if holidays are back in this game? Xmas/Halloween/ect?

And is there any chance at all that we'll be able to bring over our designs/items from City Folk, the way we did for Wild World? I'm sure there probably isn't, but I've got some amazing DBZ and Star Trek designs that I'd love to import so that I don't have to take the time to redo them.

Last edited:
[quote name='Jaysonguy']I think that digital is the only way this game can be fully enjoyed.

Since there's going to be days where you stop in for a few mins just to tidy up things and move on it's a pain to swap out the cards. I have it preordered on Newegg for 27.99 but really think I'll just cancel that and go digital for the convenience.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. While I didn't preorder it because I wanted to stay away from the game at first, and considering how I played WW on the DS, having the digital title with the system would be very convenient.

[quote name='snoopydoggy2002']How long does it take you to swap out cards? Is it a hour long ordeal?[/QUOTE]

Hmm.. how about having to carry the games? I get a handful of streetpasses every week, so to clear them up, I have to swap the games in and out. It doesn't take long, but it's pretty annoying to take the games in and out of the case and the system. Wear and tear :)

FYI, there was a shortage of Animal Crossing in Japan due to it being the first game to use some sort of expanded memory cartridge. Unless Nintendo has gotten their supplier worked out and can do extra print runs already, I'd recommend getting it early (or as recommended above, digitally)

[quote name='snoopydoggy2002']How long does it take you to swap out cards? Is it a hour long ordeal?[/QUOTE]

If you left the cart at home, yes

[quote name='Byakurai']FYI, there was a shortage of Animal Crossing in Japan due to it being the first game to use some sort of expanded memory cartridge. Unless Nintendo has gotten their supplier worked out and can do extra print runs already, I'd recommend getting it early (or as recommended above, digitally)[/QUOTE]

Are you serious? god damn Nintendo....

How long ago was the game released? Is there still a shortage? I haven't heard anything about this game requiring a special cart, but frankly a cart shortage sounds like a bullshit PR response to me. If this is how Nintendo intends to get us to "go digital" then I'll just sell my 3DS/WiiU and go for a PS4.

Last edited:
My wife and I reset our DS versions of the game (Wild World) and are playing again. The jump from Gamecube to DS was huge, from DS to Wii was very minor. We prefer the DS version over the Wii since we can play together at the same time. (We don't have two Wiis in the house.)

Getting another 3DS just so we can play together.

BTW, my Amazon preorder still hasn't lowered its price to $35.

[quote name='rcerboss']Are you serious? god damn Nintendo....

How long ago was the game released? Is there still a shortage? I haven't heard anything about this game requiring a special cart, but frankly a cart shortage sounds like a bullshit PR response to me. If this is how Nintendo intends to get us to "go digital" then I'll just sell my 3DS/WiiU and go for a PS4.[/QUOTE]

So, is there an actual Nintendo push to digital or are these just crazed ramblings?

Amazon isn't even listing the price as a discount. This looks like $34.99 is the official MSRP, guys.

[quote name='Kitoro']Amazon isn't even listing the price as a discount. This looks like $34.99 is the official MSRP, guys.[/QUOTE]
I wouldn't be so sure about that. Just because it's not listed as a discount doesn't mean it's going to be raised, could be a simple error.

I really recommend pre-ordering it right now. If it's MSRP; still a good price. Error; easy $5 discount.

[quote name='theflicker']So, is there an actual Nintendo push to digital or are these just crazed ramblings?[/QUOTE]
Coming from someone with Rorshache as an avatar, calling my post "crazed ramblings" is pretty funny.

AFAIK NoA hasn't officially commented on it (and obviously they would never confirm it either) but it's not hard to connect the dots. It is pretty obvious that these "game shortages" are Nintendo's attempt to force fans to buy their games from the eshop as opposed to retail. I was hoping against hope that Fire Emblem Awakening's shortage would be a one time thing, that maybe the factory that printed the game had somehow burnt down or something and every gaming site just somehow missed it, but I'm not at all surprised by ByaKurai's claim.

Aside from these artificial shortages, yes, Nintendo has been advertising their digital program very heavily. They've even gone so far as to upload new commercials to Nintendo video on 3DS for digital game purchases (the cat burglar commercial, those kids in that classroom, ect). There have been promotions too, including double Nintendo points for buying digital, getting points for games you otherwise wouldn't get points on when purchased digitally, getting $5 back for every $50 you spend on WiiU's eshop, and giving away the Donkey Kong port for purchasing certain titles digitally. But they've gone too far this time, shortchanging us on physical copies is a dirty tactic and I really hope nobody stands for it.

Last edited:
[quote name='rcerboss']Coming from someone with Rorshache as an avatar, calling my post "crazed ramblings" is pretty funny.

AFAIK NoA hasn't officially commented on it (and obviously they would never confirm it either) but it's not hard to connect the dots. It is pretty obvious that these "game shortages" are Nintendo's attempt to force fans to buy their games from the eshop as opposed to retail. I was hoping against hope that Fire Emblem Awakening's shortage would be a one time thing, that maybe the factory that printed the game had somehow burnt down or something and every gaming site just somehow missed it, but I'm not at all surprised by ByaKurai's claim.

Aside from these artificial shortages, yes, Nintendo has been advertising their digital program very heavily. They've even gone so far as to upload new commercials to Nintendo video on 3DS for digital game purchases (the cat burglar commercial, those kids in that classroom, ect). There have been promotions too, including double Nintendo points for buying digital, getting points for games you otherwise wouldn't get points on when purchased digitally, getting $5 back for every $50 you spend on WiiU's eshop, and giving away the Donkey Kong port for purchasing certain titles digitally. But they've gone too far this time, shortchanging us on physical copies is a dirty tactic and I really hope nobody stands for it.[/QUOTE]
I'm sorry but this still sounds INCREDIBLY paranoid. Fire Emblem was never very popular here in the USA, but word of mouth spread, and they also put out a demo, AND nothing truly worthwhile has been released on the 3DS this whole year.

[quote name='The Holy Pretzle']I'm sorry but this still sounds INCREDIBLY paranoid. Fire Emblem was never very popular here in the USA, but word of mouth spread, and they also put out a demo, AND nothing truly worthwhile has been released on the 3DS this whole year.[/QUOTE]

How is it paranoid? They didn't even release enough copies of Fire Emblem to fullfill all of the pre-orders at most stores! This isn't Nintendo's first game launch, they have systems in place to determine how many copies of any given game they should print/sell. And even if you were correct, and they somehow made a newbie mistake and grossly miscaculated how many copies of the game to ship out, well, the game has been out for over a month now. More than enough time to restock the game at major retailers.

But they haven't. The only major online retailer you can get Fire Emblem Awakening from now is Amazon, and that's priced at around $55 from a 3rd party seller. For a stanard edition 3DS game around a month old. Now couple that with the (relatively) massive ad campaign the game got. Banner ads on sites like IGN. The demo you yourself mentioned. Commercials on Cartoon Network (Adult Swim no less) and Comedy Central (and I can't remember for sure but I think I saw one or two on TBS as well). Emails with those very stupid Valentine's day cards they made. Posters all over Gamestop and Best Buy. I saw more ads for this one game alone than I ever saw for the WiiU! They pushed it very hard considering this isn't a big name franchise like Mario. I've already seen this one commercial more times then I can count:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mg7qQnxFQ-g

The writing is on the wall friend, if you can't read it I don't know what to tell you. If you can think of another logical reason why they would push/advertise the game as hard as they did, then not even print enough copies to fill all the pre-orders placed AND fail to resupply stores with new copies of the game over a month after it's initial release, then please let me know what it is. From where I am sitting, it's a very obvious attempt to force fans to get the game digitally, and if what ByaKurai said about the same thing happening in Japan with Animal Crossing is true, this may very well become standard practice for all WiiU/3DS games that don't feature Mario/Zelda/Pokemon or some causal Mii nonsense.

Last edited:
[quote name='rcerboss']How is it paranoid? They didn't even release enough copies of Fire Emblem to fullfill all of the pre-orders at most stores! This isn't Nintendo's first game launch, they have systems in place to determine how many copies of any given game they should print/sell. And even if you were correct, and they somehow made a newbie mistake and grossly miscaculated how many copies of the game to ship out, well, the game has been out for over a month now. More than enough time to restock the game at major retailers.

But they haven't. The only major online retailer you can get Fire Emblem Awakening from now is Amazon, and that's priced at around $55 from a 3rd party seller. For a stanard edition 3DS game around a month old. Now couple that with the (relatively) massive ad campaign the game got. Banner ads on sites like IGN. The demo you yourself mentioned. Commercials on Cartoon Network (Adult Swim no less) and Comedy Central (and I can't remember for sure but I think I saw one or two on TBS as well). Emails with those very stupid Valentine's day cards they made. Posters all over Gamestop and Best Buy. I saw more ads for this one game alone than I ever saw for the WiiU! They pushed it very hard considering this isn't a big name franchise like Mario.[/QUOTE]
My Best Buy still has copies of Fire Emblem Awakening in store plus you can order it off their site.

[quote name='Bumslie']My Best Buy still has copies of Fire Emblem Awakening in store plus you can order it off their site.[/QUOTE]

Have you tried ordering off their website? Everytime I tried I get an email a little later telling me it is backordered and I will be notified when my order is shipped. Thats been going on for 3 or 4 weeks before I drove to the one BB around 35 miles away that still had it in stock.

And just cause some store way out in the country or w/e has it, that doesnt mean much to everyone else. No offense but neither of our BB is representative of all the stores.

[quote name='rcerboss']Have you tried ordering off their website? Everytime I tried I get an email a little later telling me it is backordered and I will be notified when my order is shipped. Thats been going on for 3 or 4 weeks before I drove to the one BB around 35 miles away that still had it in stock.

And just cause some store way out in the country or w/e has it, that doesnt mean much to everyone else. No offense but your one BB isnt representative of all the stores.[/QUOTE]

They have it at 4 or 5 of the local stores near me. So it seems easy for me to get. I'm just saying you can still get this game if you look for it.

[quote name='emperordahc']BTW, my Amazon preorder still hasn't lowered its price to $35.[/QUOTE]

My old Amazon preorders just dropped from $40 to $35. Hurray!

When Animal Crossing: Wild World came out on the DS there was a shortage for about a month (as well as other Nintendo hits, such as Wii Fit), and that was long before the big digital push.

I am not sure if I want this game or not, I just feel like AC has worn out its welcome for me, as the DS version was riddled with hackers and seeders as others have said. The Wii version was nothing more than a watered down GC version. The GC version was by far the most superior because it had holidays and of course the NES games, which Nintendo now wants to charge us individually for them. I see Nintendo doing nothing to prevent hacking and cheating on this game.

As far as the DS games is concerned if I cannot buy physical copies of the games then I won't be buying them, so Nintendo will be losing a sale because I refuse to buy $40 digital games. The DS games are already overpriced, not that they aren't quality because they are quality games at $40 each, because I think no portable game should cost more than 19.99 at launch. Especially for something like Mario which is essentially a 5-6 hour game.

However the good things about these games is that they can be played and then flipped on ebay for almost as much as you paid after playing, making them a fine value in terms of resell with not much money sunk into them as if you were sinking $40 into a digital purchase each time you purchased a game, that is money that you cannot recover, ever.... even partially.

I would play the cheap iPod and iPad games exclusively but those games almost always require WiFi to work, so right now I am finding tremendous value in even $40 3DS games in that you don't need WiFi to start or play the game. I only have the iPod touch and the iPad 2 with no cellular data so I don't have WiFi everywhere I go and usually when I want to play a game on one of my 2 apple devices that is a time when I am in a non-wifi zone so gaming on these devices has effectively become pointless. Sure some games work, but those games do not allow you to save your high scores if you are in a non-wifi zone, again making playing the game kind of pointless. Not that the devices do not meet my needs in other ways because they more than meet my other music and app needs.

I really don't mind spending $40 on a game that I know I can flip for full value and one that might possibly go up in value as I am playing it. This kind of makes the more expensive price over Apple games a moot point actually since I can recover the money when I am done with the game or in some cases the games actually go up in value so I am getting paid to play them.

I mainly invest in RPG's that are 40 hours or more like Pokemon, Dragon Quest or Rune factory or something along those lines and I really don't mind spending the money for these types of games as they are very long games and I feel that $40 for potentially hundreds of hours of gameplay is definitely not a bad value. I don't flip every game, in fact I can't see myself selling off a Pokemon, Rune Factory or DQ game ever since they have so much content in them you can almost never finish the games. I think I could play a game like Rune factory for a year exclusively, and not play any other games, and still not be done with it.

Lets just hope we don't start seeing physical copies of Nintendo 3DS games going for hundreds of dollars years from now or even $70-80 shortly after release, because they were underproduced and never produced again. Of course with new games reprints are common these days and if Nintendo wants to make money instead of letting all the people on ebay make the money they can just print more of a game.

However if Gamestop/Amazon/Best Buy or another retailer cannot get enough copies to satisfy preorders then this will be the nail in the coffin for them and they will end up with some very angry customers. I was just informed by my gamestop staff that I got the only preordered copy of FE from the store, and that there was supposed to be one for one of the employees but I snagged it from them. Now I feel totally bad about it because he didn't get a copy of the game and now might not be able to get one at all, so he bought the game digitally..

[quote name='SaraAB']I am not sure...[/QUOTE]

Great post and agree with most everything you said especially on Rune Factory, cannot wait for Rune Factory 4!!

[quote name='Rozz']When Animal Crossing: Wild World came out on the DS there was a shortage for about a month (as well as other Nintendo hits, such as Wii Fit), and that was long before the big digital push.[/QUOTE]

Yep. Nintendo has always been very conservative about how many copies they produce of anything, mostly so they can get away with rarely having to drop their MSRP. There is no way that the Fire Emblem temporary shortage was to force people to buy digital.

[quote name='bojay1997']Yep. Nintendo has always been very conservative about how many copies they produce of anything, mostly so they can get away with rarely having to drop their MSRP. There is no way that the Fire Emblem temporary shortage was to force people to buy digital.[/QUOTE]

Really? Because I have never had trouble buying a Ninte.do title before. Even the "rare" games like Xenoblade Chronicles, Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon, Pikmin 1/2, Metroid Prime Trilogy, ect were readily available for months if not years after launch. No other 3DS game to date has had this problem of being so expensive so fast after launch. And I am sorry but I dont remember a Wild World shortage at all. Wii Fit I remember but it gets a pass for being bundled with the balance board just like Wii Sports gets a pass for being bundled with Wii

I don't want to sound rude but between the shortage and $3 DLC maps that provide MAYBE 10 minutes of new content, I just can't believe what I've seen on various Fire Emblem forums where fans just blindly stick up for Nintendo in this situation. We aren't dealing with a special case like Cave Story 3D here, or a small 3rd party niche publisher like Atlus. This is Nintendo, their name is the one on the system. What we are seeing with Fire Emblem Awakening is unprecidented in terms of a non-collector's edition, 1st party title. How fans can jump to Nintendos defense while they are actively screwing them over is beyond me. This shortage has been going on too long to be a simple mistake, Nintendo knows what they are doing. Even if you refuse to acknowledge the link between this and the digital push at least try to recognize when you as a consumer are being mistreated or taken advantage of?

Last edited:
[quote name='RiPPn']Think I'm going to wait for reviews, there has been so little difference between the Gamecube, Wii and DS versions of the game that I am not sure Nintendo knows how to make this franchise fresh.[/QUOTE]

FWIW, I read from importers that it's a big step up. I'm thinking of diving in since the last one I played was the Gamecube version.

It can happen, I seem to remember a shortage of Nintendogs when it first came out, I bought the game and hated it then I was able to sell my copy for more than I originally paid for it on eBay. There were no more DS game shortages after this one. This game was the last one I remember that was actually hard to find when it came out.

I do not remember a shortage for AC WW which I also bought at launch.

I think it's a bit too soon to be blaming Nintendo for the FE shortage though, however if this happens to more and more future games then we will know what they are up to for sure.

As far as the DLC I am a little surprised by it but really the problem stems from the people who are willing to buy it, if the fans en masse do not buy the DLC then Nintendo will see DLC as not something the customer wants and they will stop offering payed DLC. Nintendo specifically stated they would not be doing day 1 DLC or excessive DLC but now they have done it. This nonsense needs to stop now, DO NOT buy paid DLC for Nintendo published games. Do you want our games to turn into almost nothing without DLC like so many other games now????

I am playing FE right now and I do not even feel like the DLC is necessary in any way to finish the game.

I am a huge huge pokemon fan, I have no problem going to a store to download a pokemon, but if they start charging per pokemon or charging to complete the pokedex it will be the last straw for me, and I will really feel like they have slighted the fans.

[quote name='rcerboss']Really? Because I have never had trouble buying a Ninte.do title before. Even the "rare" games like Xenoblade Chronicles, Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon, Pikmin 1/2, Metroid Prime Trilogy, ect were readily available for months if not years after launch. No other 3DS game to date has had this problem of being so expensive so fast after launch. And I am sorry but I dont remember a Wild World shortage at all. Wii Fit I remember but it gets a pass for being bundled with the balance board just like Wii Sports gets a pass for being bundled with Wii

I don't want to sound rude but between the shortage and $3 DLC maps that provide MAYBE 10 minutes of new content, I just can't believe what I've seen on various Fire Emblem forums where fans just blindly stick up for Nintendo in this situation. We aren't dealing with a special case like Cave Story 3D here, or a small 3rd party niche publisher like Atlus. This is Nintendo, their name is the one on the system. What we are seeing with Fire Emblem Awakening is unprecidented in terms of a non-collector's edition, 1st party title. How fans can jump to Nintendos defense while they are actively screwing them over is beyond me. This shortage has been going on too long to be a simple mistake, Nintendo knows what they are doing. Even if you refuse to acknowledge the link between this and the digital push at least try to recognize when you as a consumer are being mistreated or taken advantage of?[/QUOTE]

What this really seems to me is that Nintendo is trying to not overprint a niche title. Just for example, my TRU had a stack of Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon in clearance. If I had to guess, I'd think that this is in reaction to that. An overreaction? Perhaps, but this seems more likely than some conspiracy to get FE fans to buy digital.

I hadn't considered the digital option, but in this one case I might actually go that route. You are locked to one person per copy of the game anyway, so having a cart doesn't really matter (unlike say for Mario 3D where you can have multiple save files and pass the cart around). This is also a game I would never sell, so the resale value is not an issue.

So I have the one cart copy from Newegg for $29.99. Maybe I'll use some trade-in credit at GS to get a 3DS shop card and just pick it a second (for my 3DS XL system) that way. This is something that I would probably only ever do for this particular game. If I plan to spend any significant time with it, it makes sense.

I know this is supposed to be larger than most other 3DS games, but I really have no idea how large any of them are. What kind of space are we talking about for the download? I think I have a (mostly unused) 4GB SD card in my 3DS so I assume that is plenty. But I want to have room for lots of DLC, streetpass/spotpass stuff, 3D pictures, and demos/updates/3DS shop games.

[quote name='theflicker']What this really seems to me is that Nintendo is trying to not overprint a niche title. Just for example, my TRU had a stack of Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon in clearance. If I had to guess, I'd think that this is in reaction to that. An overreaction? Perhaps, but this seems more likely than some conspiracy to get FE fans to buy digital.[/QUOTE]

You're both right actually. Nintendo wasn't anticipating the game selling fast to have shortage issues and they don't usually print a lot of niche titles. I wouldn't say if it's a push to get people to buy the digital copy as before that era they had various titles as you listed that don't get usually more then a first or second print. I guess it depends on where you live that you experience the shortage worsw than others.

I remember pikmin games, fire emblem series and metroid series games were hard for me to find and I live in NYC

[quote name='SaraAB']It can happen, I seem to remember a shortage of Nintendogs when it first came out, I bought the game and hated it then I was able to sell my copy for more than I originally paid for it on eBay. There were no more DS game shortages after this one. This game was the last one I remember that was actually hard to find when it came out.

I do not remember a shortage for AC WW which I also bought at launch.

[/QUOTE]

You guys might not remember them because they were years ago, but the Wii Fit and Wild World shortages did happen (and both were worth tons of money on eBay at the time and easily flippable). They were similar to Fire Emblem in which they were sold out pretty much everywhere and most people's only options were to go online for overpriced copies. I had to wait until 2006 to get my copy of Wild World locally because it was difficult to find in many areas towards the end of 2005.

However, I would still buy a physical copy over digital anytime. I never thought I'd sell my original Animal Crossing games but I later ended up doing so because I felt that City Folk basically had the best features of both combined (besides the lack of NES games and the annoying "animal tracks" feature).

This seems kind of tempting since more to play on 3DS is always good.

Someone explain to me what Animal Crossing is. I've watched gameplay, but I don't get it.

I think i will wait for a newegg price shop since i have credit with them.

As for lack of copies i don't remember it being hard to find anywhere in my area for any of the releases.

[quote name='whoknows']This seems kind of tempting since more to play on 3DS is always good.

Someone explain to me what Animal Crossing is. I've watched gameplay, but I don't get it.[/QUOTE]
Its one of those games like Minecraft/Sims where it doesn't really have a point. In Animal Crossing, you live in a town filled with animals and you can basically do whatever. Do favors for neighbors to earn items or bells (animal crossing money), buy furniture, sell things, buy turnips (animal crossing stock market), collect rare items (Triforce, Metroid, NES games), collect fossils, harvest fruit, fish, sell things on nookbay if thats still around haha.

Its one of those kinda pointless yet super addicting games. I'm definitely picking this up digitally on release day. I played the Gamecube and DS one a bunch when they came out.

And don't forget that the DS version added the whole online aspect where you can visit other people's towns. I had a lot of fun with CAGs playing that. It is by far the most time I ever spent in any multiplayer game.

bread's done
Back