Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V7 - The soda wars have ended, but the deals rage on.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5589 replies to this topic

#1 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:41 PM

Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V7! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

Since the V6 thread, we've decided to leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Summer sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Spoiler

Steam Sales - Updated 5/20

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
Spoiler

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

Spoiler

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Edited by eastx, 19 March 2013 - 06:36 AM.

-Paul Acevedo
Editor, Windows Phone Central, iMore, and Android Central
Twitter: @PaulRAcevedo

Twitch: EastXTwitch - Watch my streams Saturday nights at 8pm Central and win prizes!

#2 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:42 PM

This information is taken from the CAG Steam discussion thread. Please visit it to talk about Steam in general and Steam games!

Steam features

• Play from anywhere: Games you buy on Steam are permanently tied to your account. Download them again on other computers! *See DRM bullet point for exceptions
  • DRM: Most Steam games only use Steam's DRM. If a game uses another form (such as Batman: Arkham Asylum), the store page will say 3rd-Party DRM.
  • Play offline: Most Steam games can be played offline. When an internet connection isn't available, choose to start Steam in Offline Mode.
  • Steam Achievements! Many games have exclusive Achievements that you and your friends can keep track of. Get a Steam card graphic for forum signatures here.
  • Steam Cloud! Many games like Torchlight offer Cloud support. Your save file is hosted online and accessible from wherever you play the game, so no need to manually transfer it to other computers. Look for the Steam Cloud Posted Image image on a game's store page.
  • Automatic patching: Steam automatically downloads updates for your games whenever they are released. If you'd rather patch manually, click on that game's Properties/Update from the Library menu.
  • Friends list: The Steam friends list is also an instant messenger. Text message friends, voice chat, and easily invite friends to most games. You can also see which friends own the same games as you and compare Achievements from the Library menu.
  • Gifting games! You can buy games and then gift them to other people. Wishlists make this easy; maintain your own and view your friends' lists, too.
  • Incredible sales! There is a sale virtually every weekend, Black Friday, during the holidays, and more.
  • Steam Play: Purchase a game once and play it from both Windows and Mac! Look for the Steamplay icon Posted Image on games' store pages.

CAG Steam Groups

By joining a CheapAssGamer Steam group, you'll be able to find CAGs to play with, participate in group events, and more. This is a list of all known CAG groups. If you start a new group, please PM me with details. Note that while most of these groups are public, the private groups require an invite to join.

FAQ

I bought a retail copy of a game.
OR
I bought a game from another downloadable games provider besides Steam.

Can I download it from Steam without rebuying it?

You can do this for some games (especially those whose retail versions automatically use Steam). Most games don't support the feature though. See the full list here.

How do I add non-Steam games to my Steam library? Why would someone want to do that?

From the Library menu, choose Add a Game and then Add a Non-Steam Game. Select the game's executable file and you'll now be able to launch it directly from Steam. This is a good idea for two reasons. One, launching all of your games from the same place is convenient. Two, when you launch a Non-Steam Game from your Steam library, people on your friends list will be able to see what you're playing.

Why is X game more expensive on Steam than other retailers? Is buying from Steam not a good deal?

Steam generally offers games at their current MSRP. That means if Capcom wants to charge $30 for Street Fighter IV, that will be the regular Steam price. Yes, you might find the retail version on clearance at Target for less. But that's clearance, which you can't expect every other retailer to match. However, Steam has tons of sales which usually beat everyone else's prices.

When are the big Steam sales?

During the big Steam sales, Steam sells multiple games (sometimes hundreds) at large discounts. There is always a sale on Black Friday (the day after Thanksgiving) and an extended holiday sale (starting December 24 and lasting until the beginning of January). In 2010 and 2011 there have been extended summer sales too. If you're not in a hurry to play a game and want the best possible price, it's a good idea to wait for these large sales.

Do all Steam games work with controllers?

Just about all PC games can be controlled with mouse and keyboard. But some people are more comfortable with controllers, AKA gamepads, and some games just play better that way. The Xbox 360 controller is the default gamepad for modern PC games. Many games support it, but not all. Most games with controller support have a Controller Enabled graphic Posted Image on their store pages. If a game doesn't have that graphic and doesn't mention controller support in its text description, assume it doesn't work with controllers. There is a partial list here. If you'd like to use a controller with a game that doesn't natively support it, the XPadder app works very well.

-Paul Acevedo

Twitch: EastXTwitch - Watch my streams Saturday nights at 8pm Central and win prizes!

#3 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:42 PM

And we're ready to post. Thanks for keeping these threads going, guys and gals!

-Paul Acevedo

#4 louiedog

louiedog

20 minutes into the future

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:44 PM

Today's deal is Braid at 75% off ($2.50)

#5 asheskitty

asheskitty

Level 3 SJW Social_Justice_Warrior

• CAGiversary!

Aaah new thread smell!

I dream in yellow comic sans.

It rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets Bad Rats again.

♥·.·´¯`·.·♥ Le Mew - Le Purrrrr ♥·.·´¯`·.·♥
Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel Amazon $5 off w/EC List

Don't you be messin' with asheskitty. That girl be from the STREETS, yo.

#6 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Slut Shamer

• Silenced

Is the thready ready? You didn't say it was ready
Learn how to get FREE and CHEAP games with Tremorgames: http://www.cheapassg...tremorgamescom/

#7 mcthatch

mcthatch

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:45 PM

Today's deal is Braid at 75% off ($2.50)

I couldn't ever get much into Braid but it would be worth it at that price if someone hasn't yet played it.

#8 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:46 PM

Whoever rated the thread down, please die horribly. Everybody else, be cool and rate us back up! Thanks bunches.

-Paul Acevedo

#9 asheskitty

asheskitty

Level 3 SJW Social_Justice_Warrior

• CAGiversary!

Is the thready ready? You didn't say it was ready

Louiedog tipped me off, after reverse ninjaing the Steam Daily Deal Disappointment post from me on the new thread. :lol:

Edit: I only had 5 stars to give.

I dream in yellow comic sans.

It rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets Bad Rats again.

♥·.·´¯`·.·♥ Le Mew - Le Purrrrr ♥·.·´¯`·.·♥
Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel Amazon $5 off w/EC List

Don't you be messin' with asheskitty. That girl be from the STREETS, yo.

#10 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

I have nothing witty to say.
x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png
[img=http://steamsigs.com/steam.php?id=genocidal&pngimg=http://i.imgur.com/fLZMY.png&tborder=0.png

If I would go back in time, the one person in history I'd like to make tap out would have to be... Jesus

#11 louiedog

louiedog

20 minutes into the future

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:47 PM

Louiedog tipped me off, after reverse ninjaing the Steam Daily Deal Disappointment post from me on their thread. :lol:

I thought it was probably best to start with a deal and throw off the mods.

#12 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:49 PM

Ah new thread smell. So max Payne 3. Buy in on sale or wait for a cheap PS 3 copy?
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#13 Tsel

Tsel

The Dark Knight

• CAGiversary!

This is only the 3rd or 4th time I've ever looked at the OP.

453605.png
TheTsel.png

#14 warreni

warreni

Eminently punchable

• CAGiversary!

In before I derail the thread with some OT post or another. . . .

fs_pc.png

If you're not having fun, you're doing it wrong.

#15 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:51 PM

Not a deal =(

Where are my 75% off alpacas?

#16 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Slut Shamer

• Silenced

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:51 PM

Ah new thread smell. So max Payne 3. Buy in on sale or wait for a cheap PS 3 copy?

I'd wait unless you just enjoy 35 GB DLs.
Learn how to get FREE and CHEAP games with Tremorgames: http://www.cheapassg...tremorgamescom/

#17 dilemna

dilemna

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:55 PM

Louiedog tipped me off, after reverse Posted Image ninjaing the Steam Daily Deal Disappointment post from me on the new thread. :lol:

rated 5 stars, this is my favorite thread to read

Edited by dilemna, 06 May 2013 - 01:21 AM.

#18 Izod

Izod

CheepLikeASpoder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:56 PM

MP3 has been on gamefly says I say go that way.

#19 akmgmer

akmgmer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:57 PM

Steam Deals!

76561197977258746.pngAddFriend.png 

Spoiler

#20 granturismo

granturismo

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:58 PM

PS3 everytime!

#21 travathian

travathian

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:59 PM

So when is the Summer Sale?

#22 BigSpoonyBard

BigSpoonyBard

Aaaaauuugghh!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:02 PM

Woah. What happened?

logo.png
A Brief Guide to Steam Sales and Library Building
Brawny Gent or a Coconut Queen? PM for more info

#23 plft

plft

Ploceus castaneiceps

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:04 PM

If you have the hardware to run it maxed out I'd say buy it on PC. It's supposed to be a massive improvement, especially if you have multiple monitors. Whether the price is right for you, can't say. I'm personally waiting for $5.

Few links on comparisons.

#24 akmgmer

akmgmer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:05 PM

Woah. What happened?

Deals of course! And the alphabet game.

Spoiler

#25 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:09 PM

Whoa, new thread. Nice.

Not sure if I missed it or not with the changeover, but did anyone else notice that To The Moon developer Free Bird Games is releasing a new game called "A Bird Story" that takes place in the same universe? It's also supposed to tie in with To The Moon 2.

http://freebirdgames.com/a_bird_story/

#26 Larce80

Larce80

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:10 PM

any gud seals
Sign up at Greenmangaming with my link and we'll both get $2 credit when you make a purchase :)

#27 akmgmer

akmgmer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:20 PM

Whoa, new thread. Nice.

Not sure if I missed it or not with the changeover, but did anyone else notice that To The Moon developer Free Bird Games is releasing a new game called "A Bird Story" that takes place in the same universe? It's also supposed to tie in with To The Moon 2.

http://freebirdgames.com/a_bird_story/

I don't think it was posted but I'm glad to hear this, To The Moon was a great story. Can't wait to see more.

Spoiler

#28 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:22 PM

As for an actual deal:

Game (In the UK) has their Tomb Raider Super Bundle on sale for £9.99 (about $15 usd).

It activates on Steam as the Tomb Raider Collection.

#29 KaOTiK

KaOTiK

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:22 PM

I need to get my new thread pants

#30 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:30 PM

This post is reserved for things I might write in the future that I don't want other people to ever read.