Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V7 - The soda wars have ended, but the deals rage on.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5589 replies to this topic

#4561 asheskitty

asheskitty

Level 3 SJW Social_Justice_Warrior

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:32 PM

Spoiler

Posted Image

I dream in yellow comic sans.

It rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets Bad Rats again.

♥·.·´¯`·.·♥ Le Mew - Le Purrrrr ♥·.·´¯`·.·♥
Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel Amazon $5 off w/EC List

Don't you be messin' with asheskitty. That girl be from the STREETS, yo.

#4562 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:34 PM

The number of image macros on this page is really bumming me out.

#4563 MysterD

MysterD

CAG's "Favorite" DRM-Cashew & Cylon-Toaster

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:54 PM

The lower FPS, the better. I like a challenge.

Wild framerates are annoying.
I don't wanna see a game running at say 30 frames, then next moment it's at 60 frames, few seconds later it's at 15 frames, then back to 30 frames, then it hits 40 frames, then it hits 10 frames, etc etc.

Frame-rate consistency is important - or else the game starts to run, feel, and play a little bit funny - whether it stutters, game feels faster/slower at times b/c of frames all over the place, or whatever. I certainly do notice this crap.

If it's a lower FPS (i.e. say 30 FPS), it better NOT stray ever far from that number of FPS...
It better STAY around 25-30 frames ballpark consistently.

EDIT:
Of course, always great to see a game cap-out at 60 FPS...and ALWAYS stay a few frames within that ballpark. Don't get much better than that, IMHO.

Edited by MysterD, 08 May 2013 - 10:13 PM.

#4564 cyrus386

cyrus386

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:01 PM

You guys are cracking me up. Anyway, I'm looking forward to the next Steam sale if only because you know Valve's competitors will be bending over backwards to try and steal their business, and that's where I'll stock up. Last winter sale I only got Sleeping Dogs from Steam, and 30+ games from Amazon, GMG, GG, etc...

#4565 Corpekata

Corpekata

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:16 PM

I like the extra challenge of 30 FPS and smearing vaseline on my monitor. When I'm out of vaseline, I can generally achieve the same effect by playing on a console.

#4566 MrNinjaSquirrel

MrNinjaSquirrel

Emo Blogger

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:17 PM

Wild framerates are annoying.
I don't wanna see a game running at say 30 frames, then next moment it's at 60 frames, few seconds later it's at 15 frames, then back to 30 frames, then it hits 40 frames, then it hits 10 frames, etc etc.

Frame-rate consistency is important - or else the game starts to run, feel, and play a little bit funny - whether it stutters, game feels faster/slower at times b/c of frames all over the place, or whatever. I certainly do notice this crap.

If it's a lower FPS (i.e. say 30 FPS), it better NOT stray ever far from that number of FPS...
It better STAY around 25-30 frames ballpark consistently.

EDIT:
Of course, always great to see a game cap-out at 60 FPS...and ALWAYS stay a few frames within that ballpark. Don't get much better than that, IMHO.

so basically every game should have V-Sync8-)

as far as Steam sales go, I'm looking forward to it simply because I will finally have a halfway decent computer to run them on. Have passed on pratically all the others because I was using an "already outdated in 2005" laptop, so I will definitely be picking up a lot. That said I'm sticking to single games >$3, and bundles >$5. Hopefully I won't go to overboard this way:whee:

Hey, you look like you have a lot of money; how about donating some of it to my Extra Life drive?

#4567 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:18 PM

Posted Image

Well, I think everybody has different rates for certain games.

Given I've spent well over 100 hours w/ just the Skyrim base game on my first and only playthrough, so far - that might be one of the few games buying DLC at less than 75% off might not bother me too much. Also, it's not like the game has copious amounts of DLC like some other games do (see SR: The Third, Dawn of War 2: Retribution, and Borderlands 2), either.

Of course, I ain't bought any of the DLC b/c I just ain't finished the main quest for the Skyrim base game! I think if I did finish the main quest, I actually might break on buying DLC at (what I would consider as) "the right price" - and want and need more Skyrum. But, I haven't - so, I might as well wait it out for some major price-drops, for now, b/c it'd be backloggable...

#4568 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:21 PM

YES!

And if I have to and want to keep the framerate stable - I'll go to my NVidia Control Panel and force VSync on, if I have to...
Hopefully, the game don't have some issues w/ me forcing VSync ON via the NVidia Control Panel -- especially if it's an older game w/out built-in force framerate caps, without framerate cap options, and/or without VSync option.

#4569 razorracer83

razorracer83

I got the need for speed.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:35 PM

We don't play games on CAG; we backlog 'em. ;)

This should so be the slogan for us here at CheapAssGamer.
Wii U!?! I don't think you could possibly give a game console a worse name!!!

http://www.youtube.c...&hl=en_US&rel=0

I stand corrected.

#4570 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

couch slave

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:36 PM

Borderless window + no V-Sync = the best option.

I can run L4D2 at 100+ FPS stable, and trust me, it looks better than 60 FPS V-Sync. Honestly only certain games need V-Sync.

Terraria - $1 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#4571 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:39 PM

Yet you finished RRU... that doesn't make sense...

Keep an eye out for Spy Hunter 2001. I'm not sure how well it's held up though, decently I'd imagine.

Major difference b/t NFS: Undercover and RRU - I really dug the hell out of RRU. NFS: Undercover didn't feel like much of an improvement or change over NFS: Most Wanted 2005, whereas I never played a racing game as destructive RR game before.
Probably helped that I still ain't touched Split/Second yet, either - even though I've had that on my backlog (from Retail on disc!) for some time.

Even when RRU was absolutely kicking my butt at times, I just couldn't stop coming back for more and more and more. It kept dangling a certain carrot (Achievements, Unlocking New Areas, Unlocking More Challenges in an Area, Unlock More Cars, getting closer to Level-Up, etc etc) to make me keep trying and not give up.

Actually, that sounds like some other game I play here & there - Dark Souls. Except, well - I am absolutely terribly horrible at Dark Souls. The carrot that Dark Souls game dangles is: "I want to level-up; I want that satisfaction of beating a boss; and I need to go right now and get all those Lost Souls back!".

{shrug}

EDIT:

Good catch, Hitman Absolution and Sleeping Dogs are both $25 now. Hopefully that will be combined soon with a steam/amazon/gmg sale and a complete pack.

If only Watch Dogs was $25. ;)

Edited by MysterD, 08 May 2013 - 10:52 PM.

#4572 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:47 PM

This should so be the slogan for us here at CheapAssGamer.

Thanks!
Glad someone liked it.
I think it'll make a good signature for me. :D

Bing Rewards - Referral Link

We don't play games on CAG; we backlog 'em. ;)

No wonder we have no time to play games!

All we do is keep buying games; run games idly for cards; keep backlogging games; & talk about games on CAG Forums + gaming forums like it.

#4573 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:04 PM

Hey everyone, just a quick note about Enhanced Steam. I've updated the Google Chrome version to 3.1 and it adds a TON of new changes. I've been working with Valve to get the detection process sped up, and they've added a few things to their API that deliver just that.

Enhanced Steam also now has "tags" that you can configure. Basically it's like highlighting, but each item can have multiple tags.

Enhanced Steam also adds back the text blurb on the home page, correctly highlights/tags search results and drop downs, has a new price history back end, integration with SteamDB.info, and the list goes on.

If you already have it installed it should update automatically. If not, check out the link in my sig. :)

Thanks everyone!

#4574 soulkyo

soulkyo

Veterinary Medicine

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:08 PM

Hey everyone, just a quick note about Enhanced Steam. I've updated the Google Chrome version to 3.1 and it adds a TON of new changes. I've been working with Valve to get the detection process sped up, and they've added a few things to their API that deliver just that.

Enhanced Steam also now has "tags" that you can configure. Basically it's like highlighting, but each item can have multiple tags.

Enhanced Steam also adds back the text blurb on the home page, correctly highlights/tags search results and drop downs, has a new price history back end, integration with SteamDB.info, and the list goes on.

If you already have it installed it should update automatically. If not, check out the link in my sig. :)

Thanks everyone!

Way to go! Thanks for the great extension!

76561198071042127.png     logo.png

#4575 shrinerr

shrinerr

Now whatcha gon' do wit it?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:13 PM

Just finished watching GB's quick look of sanctum 2. weird thing is when i looked it up on steam there is no listing for it at all, not even in the coming soon section. anyways, sequel has coop, which means there will probably be a 4 pack. if anyone wants to host, let me know, thanks.

#4576 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:24 PM

Just finished watching GB's quick look of sanctum 2. weird thing is when i looked it up on steam there is no listing for it at all, not even in the coming soon section. anyways, sequel has coop, which means there will probably be a 4 pack. if anyone wants to host, let me know, thanks.

The original game had co-op.

I'm not sure why the PR guy in the quick look acted like it was new. He's not with the dev, though, just handling the marketing, so maybe he was just confused by the new co-op classes in Sanctum 2 and assumed the first game lacked co-op altogether.

#4577 MrNinjaSquirrel

MrNinjaSquirrel

Emo Blogger

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:39 PM

Thanks everyone!

Never new you were the one that updated Enhanced Steam, nice work:applause: Really like how you can just see the lowest price on the store page now instead of clicking through. Really great extension, keep up the great work!

Hey, you look like you have a lot of money; how about donating some of it to my Extra Life drive?

#4578 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:42 PM

Way to go! Thanks for the great extension!

No problem! Thank you all for the support and spreading the word!

Never new you were the one that updated Enhanced Steam, nice work:applause: Really like how you can just see the lowest price on the store page now instead of clicking through. Really great extension, keep up the great work!

Yep, that's me! FYI the pricing region can be changed in the options so if you're not in the US. 8-)

#4579 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

couch slave

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:07 AM

ikr? Who knew that Ronon Dex was the mastermind behind it all.

Terraria - $1 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#4580 AngryNerdJosh

AngryNerdJosh

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2013 - 01:20 AM

Is the serious Sam series worth $18? It always seemed cool but I may pass unless its amazing

#4581 Detruire

Detruire

Would have finished the dark skin first

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2013 - 01:22 AM

Is the serious Sam series worth $18? It always seemed cool but I may pass unless its amazing

In my opinion: yes.

I'm hosting an Indie Gala Depths of Fear group buy. Please PM me if you'd like to reserve a slot.

#4582 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2013 - 01:24 AM

You would have to be really into Serious Sam to play through that many Serious Sam games.

They're quite similar and are very simple, old-school run backwards and shoot FPS games.

Second Encounter HD is probably all you really need.

#4583 tfr

tfr

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2013 - 01:25 AM

not really, every one of them plays exactly the same with upgraded graphics.

#4584 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2013 - 01:30 AM

Amazon had the entire Sam franchise for $10 shortly before the major holiday sales started. Wouldn't be surprised to see that deal again in the future. Also agree that the games are fundamentally the same.

#4585 JakeNome

JakeNome

Shady Panda Peddler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2013 - 01:36 AM

Amazon had the entire Sam franchise for $10 shortly before the major holiday sales started. Wouldn't be surprised to see that deal again in the future. Also agree that the games are fundamentally the same.

Im selling it for $11 as a steam gift, in case anyone is thinking of grabbing it
WTS Steam Games Check my list!

Posted Image

#4586 AngryNerdJosh

AngryNerdJosh

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2013 - 01:49 AM

Xbla has 3 and double d for $5 each. I'm trying the demos. TFE demo was cool. Its hard to play games without a good story. Thanks for the replies

#4587 sunasun

sunasun

Count Burgula approves and endorses this member title

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:01 AM

as far as Steam sales go, I'm looking forward to it simply because I will finally have a halfway decent computer to run them on. Have passed on pratically all the others because I was using an "already outdated in 2005" laptop, so I will definitely be picking up a lot. That said I'm sticking to single games >$3, and bundles >$5. Hopefully I won't go to overboard this way:whee:

you sure you got the right signs there?
think you might wanna flip them ;)

spoderman And tebow like this

Bacon-Cheeseburger-160x160.jpegmidnightoriginal__94722.1354255776.178.1  mysterd likes this

Add my two accounts for free games!!!!

http://steamcommunity.com/id/relysis http://steamcommunit...561198124339261

#4588 MrNinjaSquirrel

MrNinjaSquirrel

Emo Blogger

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:20 AM

you sure you got the right signs there?
think you might wanna flip them ;)

:dunce: yeah that's probably a good idea

#4589 spoderman

spoderman

I thought Harvey Dent said that

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:39 AM

YES!

And if I have to and want to keep the framerate stable - I'll go to my NVidia Control Panel and force VSync on, if I have to...
Hopefully, the game don't have some issues w/ me forcing VSync ON via the NVidia Control Panel -- especially if it's an older game w/out built-in force framerate caps, without framerate cap options, and/or without VSync option.

VSYNC fucks some games up, causing increased input lag..

Then again, you have a point. I'm going to play all of my games capped at a low FPS with VSYNC on so that I'll have more input lag.. for the challenge ;)

#4590 Jon7

Jon7

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:44 AM

VSYNC fucks some games up, causing increased input lag..

Then again, you have a point. I'm going to play all of my games capped at a low FPS with VSYNC on so that I'll have more input lag.. for the challenge ;)

You should try using your feet to play instead of your hands too, I mean if you really want a challenge :)