Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V7 - The soda wars have ended, but the deals rage on.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5589 replies to this topic

#4861 MysterD

MysterD

CAG's Favorite DRM-Cashew & Cylon-Toaster

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:32 PM

so I'm starting to get the feeling no one is really excited for the Steam Summer sale. Bad deals got you down?

I already own Bulletstorm PC (bought it long ago for like $13 from Amazon DVG). So, that doesn't really matter to me! :P

Bulletstorm PC at $5 is cheap. Don't really know if it'll go cheaper than that.
Anyone know if Bulletstorm PC been below $5 ever anywhere before?

I think what might be more likely - Amazon DVG is great at cheap awesome Bundles. I think they'd push a slick bundle deal that has Bulletstorm PC in it (The Storming, Burning, Reflecting, Flaming, Sabotaging Pack).
Don't know if that Bundle's been $5 or less before, though.
(Of course, that probably isn't a Steam-version of Bulletstorm).

About Steam Deals - oh, I'm looking forward to them! Also, I'm also looking forward to seeing what any other stores (Origin, GG, GMG, Amazon DVG, etc) might toss around for deals, since Spring is here now; and Summer Sales and the major Steam Sale hits.

Bing Rewards - Referral Link

We don't play games on CAG; we backlog 'em. ;)

No wonder we have no time to play games!

All we do is keep buying games; run games idly for cards; keep backlogging games; & talk about games on CAG Forums + gaming forums like it.

#4862 Jon7

Jon7

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:32 PM

People Can Fly hasn't fully taken over Gears of War development. They made GoW Judgement and the original plan was for them to alternate Gears games with the main dev team so they could get new Gears out faster. Judgement didn't sell nearly as well as Epic wanted though and it seems like a lot of Gears fans didn't like it, so who knows if they're going to stick with their original plan. Hopefully Epic doesn't close the studio and actually uses them for something good...like a new Unreal Tournament.

#4863 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:38 PM

People Can Fly hasn't fully taken over Gears of War development. They made GoW Judgement and the original plan was for them to alternate Gears games with the main dev team so they could get new Gears out faster. Judgement didn't sell nearly as well as Epic wanted though and it seems like a lot of Gears fans didn't like it, so who knows if they're going to stick with their original plan. Hopefully Epic doesn't close the studio and actually uses them for something good...like a new Unreal Tournament.

Regardless, I'd still love to see all the GOW games hit the PC - i.e. Gears 2 and newer.

What was it about PCF's GOW:J that fans of Epic's Gears didn't like?

About UT - yes, I'd like a new UT.
And yes, I still want that Unreal open-world reboot Cliffy B would've liked to have done.

All we do is keep buying games; run games idly for cards; keep backlogging games; & talk about games on CAG Forums + gaming forums like it.

#4864 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:40 PM

What they really should do is make a Singleplayer Unreal game and then include Unreal Tournament 4 with it.
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#4865 Detruire

Detruire

Would have finished the dark skin first

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:41 PM

It's currently $8 (before 15% off coupon) bundled with Syndicate on Gamefly.

I got it for $2 from Amazon during January last year.

#4866 MrNinjaSquirrel

MrNinjaSquirrel

I am mad scientist, it so cool!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:42 PM

I already own Bulletstorm PC (bought it long ago for like $13 from Amazon DVG). So, that doesn't really matter to me! :P

I think what might be more likely - Amazon DVG is great at cheap awesome Bundles. I think they'd push a slick bundle deal that has Bulletstorm PC in it (The Storming, Burning, Reflecting, Flaming, Sabotaging Pack).
Don't know if that Bundle's been $5 or less before, though.

About Steam Deals - oh, I'm looking forward to them! Also, I'm also looking forward to seeing what any other stores (Origin, GG, GMG, Amazon DVG, etc) might toss around for deals, since Spring is here now; and Summer Sales and the major Steam Sale hits.

that's a pretty enticing bundle, even though I already have mirror's edge. Would prefer to have them on steam, but I guess I can stomach them on origin. I had a pretty good laugh at this though:

Total Individual Price: $79.64
Bundle Price: $89.95

I think they are missing the point of having a bundle:lol:

Speaking of origin, I don't know if it's been mentioned, but they are apparently adding achievements (or origin points as they are called). I'm don't really care at all, since I'd prefer not to use the service and can't be bothered with so many different achievement systems (Steam Achievements, 360 Achievements, Trophies, in game achievements etc.), but at least they are trying to add features to improve it.

http://www.game-deba...nts#discussForm
This is the incarnation of my idiot blood.

#4867 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:49 PM

that's a pretty enticing bundle, even though I already have mirror's edge. Would prefer to have them on steam, but I guess I can stomach them on origin. I had a pretty good laugh at this though:

I think they are missing the point of having a bundle:lol:

That Bundle on Amazon DVG has been $10 before, just so you know:
http://slickdeals.ne...etnam-expansion

I don't know when it'll hit $10 again - but, just so you know, in case you don't mind doing multiple game-clients, might as well toss that out there.
{shrug}

I go namely where the deals take me, hehe.

Speaking of origin, I don't know if it's been mentioned, but they are apparently adding achievements (or origin points as they are called). I'm don't really care at all, since I'd prefer not to use the service and can't be bothered with so many different achievement systems (Steam Achievements, 360 Achievements, Trophies, in game achievements etc.), but at least they are trying to add features to improve it.

http://www.game-deba...nts#discussForm

Yeah, I'm glad they're adding more features Origin. They really need to do something w/ it, since it lacks tons and tons of features that Steam already has.

Steam has so many features - it puts all the other client-programs to shame.

#4868 Jon7

Jon7

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:51 PM

Regardless, I'd still love to see all the GOW games hit the PC - i.e. Gears 2 and newer.

What was it about PCF's GOW:J that fans of Epic's Gears didn't like?

The single player was lacking and in multiplayer they made a lot of changes like removing downed state, changing weapon loadout and balance, and making it humans vs. humans instead of vs. locusts.
There were also only 4 multiplayer maps in at launch, with the rest as DLC.

#4869 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:52 PM

It's currently $8 (before 15% off coupon) bundled with Syndicate on Gamefly.

$4 for each (before coupon) - that's not bad at all.
I never finished Syndicate (shooter). I really should - it was decent & solid, at the very least.

I got it for $2 from Amazon during January last year.

Wow, that's an AWESOME deal for Bulletstorm PC!

#4870 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:55 PM

What they really should do is make a Singleplayer Unreal game and then include Unreal Tournament 4 with it.

I still have no problem w/ the split of UT and Unreal series, as long as they make each version HUGE.

Of course, if they do UT, they should ship SDK w/ it.
We need to bring back the old days of PC gaming - where you never felt like you'd ever run of MP maps (think Q2 days and RTCW days) b/c so many modders were out there making them, you'd just go online and go download them.

#4871 hal

hal

Game Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 May 2013 - 05:19 PM

Hopefully Epic doesn't close the studio and actually uses them for something good...like a new Unreal Tournament.

I don't see a game like that as being their strength. They have a great art team and solid creative ideas that work well in singleplayer environments, but an MP game like that needs a lot more (I am ignoring that Painkiller was used briefly for competitive gaming).

Those really evolved into two entirely different games. I'm not sure the gaming world is ready for another Unreal Tournament unless they are ready to examine what that audience truly wants. And I'm not sure Epic Games are at a point where they are ready for that themselves. UT3 was a pretty solid return to UT gameplay, but they tacked on a horrible front end and married it with Gamespy.

The Unreal reboot would be super-cool. I think there may some some legal hurdles to overcome as Digital Extremes co-created the game. A new Unreal game with co-op could do well. Making the co-op compelling is the mulitplayer angle that would work for that game. It's what people want now and it was tons of fun in the original.

76561197971332172.png

#4872 LazyTriangle

LazyTriangle

Bride of _____

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 May 2013 - 05:19 PM

XCOM: Enemy Unknown is the daily deal - $13.59

O6d6OER.jpg

#4873 MrNinjaSquirrel

MrNinjaSquirrel

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 May 2013 - 05:21 PM

Today's deal is XCOM: Enemy Unknown 66% off ($13.59), which seems pretty lousy after all the Bioshock/2K bundles it was in. Also, not sure if it's been mentioned but Afterfall Insanity: Dirty Arena Edition is down to $2.99

EDIT: Triangle beat me to the punch

#4874 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 May 2013 - 05:22 PM

I have enough faith in Epic as a company to think that they'll probably keep PCF around. They make a lot of money on licensing Unreal already, which puts them (along with the GoW profits) in a really good place to keep letting PCF and Chair do their slightly riskier things on the side. PCF hasn't made boatloads of money like Chair has for them, of course, but I think they're still a strong enough name and performer for Epic to keep them around.

#4875 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 May 2013 - 05:38 PM

I still have no problem w/ the split of UT and Unreal series, as long as they make each version HUGE.

Of course, if they do UT, they should ship SDK w/ it.
We need to bring back the old days of PC gaming - where you never felt like you'd ever run of MP maps (think Q2 days and RTCW days) b/c so many modders were out there making them, you'd just go online and go download them.

Oh I don't mind the split of Unreal and UT but it seems nowadays each game needs to have multiplayer so why not just package both together. Either way I want both a new Unreal and a new UT :lol:.

Actually I just want a new FPS that isn't a fucking hallway regenerating health fest. Serious Sam 3 was the last good FPS I played. Well besides Infinite but that's a whole different type of game. I am talking just mindless shooter.
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#4876 Daykain

Daykain

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 May 2013 - 05:50 PM

Today's deal is XCOM: Enemy Unknown 66% off ($13.59), which seems pretty lousy after all the Bioshock/2K bundles it was in. Also, not sure if it's been mentioned but Afterfall Insanity: Dirty Arena Edition is down to $2.99

EDIT: Triangle beat me to the punch

The base price for XCOM: EU isn't the greatest but I think this is the first time the DLC has been 66% off ($4.06 for both). I don't know if they are worth it though.

I'll wait for Afterfall Insanity: Extended Edition to go on sale since it contains Dirty Arena for free. I could see it in an indie bundle potentially too.

#4877 Jon7

Jon7

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:03 PM

I have enough faith in Epic as a company to think that they'll probably keep PCF around. They make a lot of money on licensing Unreal already, which puts them (along with the GoW profits) in a really good place to keep letting PCF and Chair do their slightly riskier things on the side. PCF hasn't made boatloads of money like Chair has for them, of course, but I think they're still a strong enough name and performer for Epic to keep them around.

Maybe, but Epic is not the same company it once was. Tencent owns half of the company now, and Cliffy/Mike Capps are gone. They also closed Impossible Games without giving them a chance to even put anything out. The Unreal engine also seems like it will be seeing less licensing as a lot of devs/publishers seem to be moving to using their own proprietary engines.

#4878 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:05 PM

Looked up the Logitech G27 and this video came up:

Now I want the wheel and City Car Driving it is also trying to get greenlit: http://steamcommunit...s/?id=107382151

:bouncy: ...now to just turn on some Judas Priest, and *zoom*

Twice a year, hundreds of thousands of these creatures congregate here for "Steam Sales", to attempt to find mates and to be preyed upon by albatross.

You make this sound like A Game of Lemmings

I don't know - I liked NFS: Shift 1, for the short time I played it. Don't know why I never went back - probably bought newer games and other games got in the way.

Oh, BTW - have you played NFS: Most Wanted (2012) yet...?

I thought Bulletstorm was awesome. I wish they (People Can Fly) would do a damn sequel...

Nah, the serious performance problems deterred me from picking it up for $20 at Xmas. (I should look into the current state of those.) At this point I'm waiting for $10 ($15 if I can have confidence in the performance problems being fixed... honestly I'd rather pick up a NFS MW (2012) pack with the currently released DLC.

so I'm starting to get the feeling no one is really excited for the Steam Summer sale. Bad deals got you down?

Don't mind them too much, they're just grumpy since they own most of what they actually want (and are waiting on dirt-cheap prices on the rest). Steam has been experimenting with their seasonal sales lately so the format keeps shifting a bit... the total number of games with sub-50% discounts has been lower in recent sales. This also means that less random but interesting stuff pops up (e.g. The Maw). Also in the past year, Amazon, GMG, & GG sales have been putting steam sales to shame. That said the Steam sale is still worth watching. (Also a good chance to pick up DLC.)

I picked up Bulletstorm in the Summer '12 sale for $5.

For past sales history I strongly recommend checking out the price trackers in my sig. Some cover more than just steam. Price trackers are representative but don't provide the complete picture (e.g. they don't factor in coupons, they'll miss the Amazon Bundles). Searching slickdeals.net (game + PC/Steam/Origin) and sifting through the results will usually reveal promos that the pricetrackers missed. That said, the price trackers are very useful.

♥·.·´¯`·.·♥ Le Mew - Le Purrrrr ♥·.·´¯`·.·♥
Amazon $5 off w/EC List
Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel

Don't you be messin' with asheskitty. That girl be from the STREETS, yo.

#4879 Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:13 PM

Also, not sure if it's been mentioned but Afterfall Insanity: Dirty Arena Edition is down to $2.99

I'll wait for Afterfall Insanity: Extended Edition to go on sale since it contains Dirty Arena for free. I could see it in an indie bundle potentially too.

I was about to chime in with the same. Dirty Arena Edition is only the MP DLC of the game, but the way they phrase it is a little deceptive IMO in case anyone was thinking you'd get the full game by buying it.

Can't get enough of the Fox?  Check out my CAG Blog:  http://www.cheapassg...ul-gamers-blog/

Learn how to get Assassin's Creed III, Bioshock Infinite, NBA 2K14 or other games for $1 (Steam):  http://www.cheapassg...r-1/?p=11692782

#4880 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:16 PM

XCOM: Enemy Unknown is the daily deal - $13.59

If only that was cheaper...like $10 or less.

It was $10 recently, on a GG price-mistake/glitch.

#4881 Syntax Error

Syntax Error

Tortue d'Art

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:49 PM

Also in the past year, Amazon, GMG, & GG sales have been putting steam sales to shame. That said the Steam sale is still worth watching. (Also a good chance to pick up DLC.)

The best part of the last Steam sale was the competing sales. It wasn't just a matter of "They already own everything" -- I spent plenty of money, I just didn't spend it at Steam.

For better or for worse, I do think the rotating manner of the last Steam Sale made it hard to sustain a lot of energy from a consumer sense. A couple days in and it started to feel like repeats and dailies didn't mean as much, etc. I have no idea how it was revenue-wise, of course and that's what matters most.

#4882 Hoarder

Hoarder

Steam Addict

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:55 PM

Eh, as long as I can reach my goal of 3k on Steam, I'll be happy. I hope to see deeper discounts on random stuff like "Super Granny Collection" to fill in the Steam library gaps. Discounts on DLC works too and, fortunately, Steam is the best way to acquire DLC cheapest.

76561197967716198.png

#4883 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:59 PM

The best part of the last Steam sale was the competing sales. It wasn't just a matter of "They already own everything" -- I spent plenty of money, I just didn't spend it at Steam.

For better or for worse, I do think the rotating manner of the last Steam Sale made it hard to sustain a lot of energy from a consumer sense. A couple days in and it started to feel like repeats and dailies didn't mean as much, etc. I have no idea how it was revenue-wise, of course and that's what matters most.

Winter was much easier than Summer due to the longer flash sales. I fear you mind is going. ^_~

Yeah, I meant that in the sense that when sales popped up it was often a case of "already own it"... needs to highlight more B-tier stuff.

♥·.·´¯`·.·♥ Le Mew - Le Purrrrr ♥·.·´¯`·.·♥
Amazon $5 off w/EC List
Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel

Don't you be messin' with asheskitty. That girl be from the STREETS, yo.

#4884 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

talkinrock's future son in law

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:03 PM

In for XCOM DLC. Cheap enough to not sweat another 9% off, and since they add customization options, I'm all for it.

Blade Symphony - $5 (Steam), Borderlands 2 - $6 (Steam), Last Knight - $2 (Steam)

uwkiCEr.gif

#4885 RollingSkull

RollingSkull

No Decisive Evidence

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:11 PM

Xcom Elite Soldier DLC adds flat top hair style and a lot of fruity looking colors for soldiers armor. Worth it if you want to make that one soldier named after your friend appear super fruity
Posted Image

It was a smooth ride.

#4886 MrNinjaSquirrel

MrNinjaSquirrel

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:31 PM

For past sales history I strongly recommend checking out the price trackers in my sig. Some cover more than just steam. Price trackers are representative but don't provide the complete picture (e.g. they don't factor in coupons, they'll miss the Amazon Bundles). Searching slickdeals.net (game + PC/Steam/Origin) and sifting through the results will usually reveal promos that the pricetrackers missed. That said, the price trackers are very useful.

I used Enhanced Steam, and for the most part it seems to cover most everything. That is there any deal site is really good though, which I only found through your sig. Mostly though I just check this thread and everyone seems to already know the exact price/date/distributor that a game has been on sale on. Kinda scary sometimes, but helpful nonetheless:)

#4887 Syntax Error

Syntax Error

Tortue d'Art

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:12 PM

Winter was much easier than Summer due to the longer flash sales.

Winter felt as though it repeated more. Or maybe had less boundaries between "Daily" and "Flash". Summer felt more defined between the two. I just remember that, by a few days in, people in a few sale threads I hang out in just stopped even updating what was new with the Steam sale. Felt like no one really cared any more.

#4888 hal

hal

Game Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:18 PM

Maybe, but Epic is not the same company it once was. Tencent owns half of the company now, and Cliffy/Mike Capps are gone. They also closed Impossible Games without giving them a chance to even put anything out. The Unreal engine also seems like it will be seeing less licensing as a lot of devs/publishers seem to be moving to using their own proprietary engines.

Capps being gone is a good thing imo. And Cliff has a lot of good ideas, but let me remind you that he produced Unreal 2. :cry: They still have lots of talent and as long as Tim Sweeney is there pumping out new stuff with the engine team they'll always have a formidable product on the engine market.

I disagree that more developers will be moving towards their own engine. That takes loads of money to develop and UE3/4 have boatloads of productivity plugins that make the workflow more efficient. Plus it's been around for so long that there are tons of designers familiar with the software. Many publishers also have across-the-board licensing deals with Epic for their engine. It's still the big dog and likely will be for some time.

76561197971332172.png

#4889 vince_carter

vince_carter

what's a panini

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:45 PM

Eh, as long as I can reach my goal of 3k on Steam, I'll be happy. I hope to see deeper discounts on random stuff like "Super Granny Collection" to fill in the Steam library gaps. Discounts on DLC works too and, fortunately, Steam is the best way to acquire DLC cheapest.

i will never understand buying games just to buy them, i wish i could actually remove games from my steam list because of indie bundle garbage i've accrued in the past few years

this isn't a personal shot at you btw- i see people posting stuff to this effect all the time

Hand__Of__God.png

#4890 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:57 PM

Sounds about right for me, as well.

EDIT:

Winter was much easier than Summer due to the longer flash sales. I fear you mind is going. ^_~

Yeah, I meant that in the sense that when sales popped up it was often a case of "already own it"... needs to highlight more B-tier stuff.

Speaking of B-tier stuff, I wanna see Mars: War Logs brick down in price somewhere....
GiantBomb had a 51 minute quicklook on Mars: WL, recently.