Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V7 - The soda wars have ended, but the deals rage on.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5589 replies to this topic

#5461 MrNinjaSquirrel

MrNinjaSquirrel

I am mad scientist, it so cool!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 12:46 AM

You don't have Portal 2 or Half-Life 2?

I do...on 360...

*starts running from PC master race*

Of course I know my multiplication tables!
I just don't sit at them often.

#5462 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

talkinrock's future son in law

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 12:47 AM

I do...on 360...

*starts running from PC master race*

If you have a 360 copy of the Orange Box, can't you activate it on Steam somehow? Maybe I'm thinking wrong.

Scratch that, PC copies only. Never mind.

Blade Symphony - $5 (Steam), Borderlands 2 - $6 (Steam), Last Knight - $2 (Steam)

uwkiCEr.gif

#5463 spoderman

spoderman

I thought Harvey Dent said that

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 12:48 AM

If you have a 360 copy of the Orange Box, can't you activate it on Steam somehow? Maybe I'm thinking wrong.

That's Portal 2, and only works for PS3 copies.

#5464 utopianmachine

utopianmachine

Deal Ninja

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 12:49 AM

It's kind of a silly system. You get all the cards you can get in a day by doing absolutely nothing, then that's it. It's a nice concept, but it's a beta. It's going to change. I fully expect more participating games to come, and more card drops for the current games. I also expect that they'll remove the ability to idle games for drops, and tie drops to actual gameplay (at rare intervals at low chance), achievements (change to get a card upon each achievement, higher chance), or game progress (again, chance, but lower odds than achievements which cannot be repeated). So despite more cards being around, they'll take effort to get, and will be rarer to get. As of now you could possibly idle your game for an hour and get four cards. That's pretty much the definition of an unbalanced system in beta.

I think those are good suggestions, especially the achievement-based ones. This way people actually play the games rather than just idle them.

#5465 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 12:54 AM

I think those are good suggestions, especially the achievement-based ones. This way people actually play the games rather than just idle them.

Yeah... with the current system, it's like people just get a handful for free with zero effort, sell them or finish their sets, and are done. I can see the craze going on now, but with how limited and how easy they made things, I feel like the rush is going to slow down very quickly, and even if they introduce lots more games (each with 3-5 card drops), that's not going to keep the drive going very well. The continuous card drops from the F2P titles seems very expensive, and even considering those on Steam who do regularly spend that kind of money on the games, I honestly don't think that's going to keep things rolling.

Maybe if they reduced the $ amount for F2P card drops AND introduced a lot more F2Ps (non-Valve titles), I could possibly see the system staying the same. Otherwise, there has to be a shift in card drop procedure. I don't think I'm the only one who finds it stagnant and boring (besides being a quick, one-time cash grab).

EDIT: I could see Steam creating card packs for sale too. They'd have random cards that you couldn't get by playing/idling games, set uncommon/rare cards per pack, chance of extra rare cards, etc. Might flood the market, but seeing as they'd probably be $5 a pack and come with 5 or so cards, you'd still see commons going for $0.50 to $1 each, uncommons/rares for a bit more, etc. It's just a matter of time, imo...

Blade Symphony - $5 (Steam), Borderlands 2 - $6 (Steam), Last Knight - $2 (Steam)

uwkiCEr.gif

#5466 Foxhack

Foxhack

Bad at math

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 01:41 AM

Ah... you get TF2 items from idling if you have premium? Indefinitely, or is there a limit? How cheap is it to get premium (besides the Orange Box that has sales now and then)?

Sorry for all the questions, but the marketplace is interesting and I've never paid attention to it before. :-P

The cheapest way to go premium is to buy anything from the TF2 Mann Co store. The cheapest thing you can buy there costs 49 cents.

The problem with this is that you can't buy anything from the store without having a balance in your Steam wallet. The minimum amount you can add to it is $5. You can use the $4.51 on games and gift them to other folks (or your main account) but you'll always have a few cents left over.

You can get anywhere from 4-10 items per account, per week. I have one main and three idle accounts and get about 5 ref in raw weapons / items every two weeks, plus the random hat / paint / duel / action thingy and boatloads and boatloads of crates.

foxhack.jpg
List your game collection at VGCollect! It's free! Come, we have cookies!

#5467 louiedog

louiedog

20 minutes into the future

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 03:52 AM

Anyone who joined the trading cards group should now be invited. It sounds like they'll continue adding people daily. The batch of invites that just went out was 110k, so watching prices should be pretty fun tonight and tomorrow.

#5468 Detruire

Detruire

Would have finished the dark skin first

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:13 AM

Anyone who joined the trading cards group should now be invited. It sounds like they'll continue adding people daily. The batch of invites that just went out was 110k, so watching prices should be pretty fun tonight and tomorrow.

Looks like it's driven the prices up around 10c a card.

#5469 Blade

Blade

Trying to have a member title that's longer than MDerrick

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:17 AM

For truth, you don't even need to have the game downloaded. Just start it up in something like Steam Achievement Manager, which merely sends the appcode to a Steam server, and you'll still get the cards. =\ It's very much in beta right now, and you can tell there's a lot of work to be done.

#5470 louiedog

louiedog

20 minutes into the future

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:18 AM

Looks like it's driven the prices up around 10c a card.

In less than an hour and it seems they've been trending upward before the invites went out. I'm interested to see what happens when all of those new accounts have accrued more than one or two cards.

#5471 Naked Snake Eyes

Naked Snake Eyes

What would Snake do?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:20 AM

Not sure how you're supposed to complete a set of 8 cards if you can only earn 4 in-game. Wouldn't you have to trade one of your 4 to get one of the remaining 4, putting you back where you started? Aside from paying money for them which can't be the only way to do it. Am I missing something?

#5472 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:21 AM

Not sure how you're supposed to complete a set of 8 cards if you can only earn 4 in-game. Wouldn't you have to trade one of your 4 to get one of the remaining 4, putting you back where you started? Aside from paying money for them which can't be the only way to do it. Am I missing something?

Yep, that's the key, you pay $$$ and Gaben gets burger money.

♥·.·´¯`·.·♥ Le Mew - Le Purrrrr ♥·.·´¯`·.·♥
Amazon $5 off w/EC List
Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel

Don't you be messin' with asheskitty. That girl be from the STREETS, yo.

#5473 MrNinjaSquirrel

MrNinjaSquirrel

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:24 AM

Wouldn't you have to trade one of your 4 to get one of the remaining 4, putting you back where you started? Aside from paying money for them

That's about it actually. You can probably see now why Valve started the cards in the first place.

#5474 Naked Snake Eyes

Naked Snake Eyes

What would Snake do?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:25 AM

Yep, that's the key, you pay $$$ and Gaben gets burger money.

In the trading card FAQ it says you complete the other 4 via your collecting skills. It should have said via your wallet I guess. Dumb. If you could collect em all without paying then I'd be motivated to try it. As it is now, I got my 4 and I guess I'll leave it at that.

Looks like they're (Portal 2 cards) all going for around 78 cents. Too little for me to sell mine, but too much for me to pay to complete.

#5475 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:27 AM

But you can trade Portal 2 cards for HL2 cards, for example.

They're TRADING cards. You're supposed to trade for your favorites and complete sets of your favorites, by sacrificing the ones you don't care as much about.

What's the point if you can have them all?

It would be really amazing if this whole thing fed into an actual game and cards came out with new games that were properly balanced and integrated into the TCG, but even as it is now, I don't know why people would expect to be able to get all of them on your own. That's not the way trading cards work, unless you spend a ton of money. So in that respect these Steam cards are accurate.

#5476 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:27 AM

Spoiler
Looks like they're (Portal 2 cards) all going for around 78 cents. Too little for me to sell mine, but too much for me to pay to complete.

I feel the same way =)

Amazon $5 off w/EC List
Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel

#5477 Naked Snake Eyes

Naked Snake Eyes

What would Snake do?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:30 AM

But you can trade Portal 2 cards for HL2 cards, for example.

They're TRADING cards. You're supposed to trade for your favorites and complete sets of your favorites, by sacrificing the ones you don't care as much about.

It would be really amazing if this whole thing fed into an actual game and cards came out with new games that were properly balanced and integrated into the TCG, but even as it is now, I don't know why people would expect to be able to get all of them on your own. That's not the way trading cards work, unless you spend a ton of money. So in that respect these Steam cards are accurate.

Well my problem is I only have one game. I can only earn those 4 cards so I'm stuck paying.

#5478 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:30 AM

Spoiler

Spoiler

Imo, if you going to bother with them, play to win! Gotta collect them all!

Amazon $5 off w/EC List

#5479 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:32 AM

Well my problem is I only have one game. I can only earn those 4 cards so I'm stuck paying.

In theory there will be more games added, the value of the cards will drastically lower, and we'll be in a perfect world where people actually trade cards because they want to complete the set and have the badge for the game that they really like.

I don't know that will ever actually happen... but I think that's the idea.

Imo, if you going to bother with them, play to win! Gotta collect them all!

Then cough up the cash.

#5480 Naked Snake Eyes

Naked Snake Eyes

What would Snake do?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:34 AM

In theory there will be more games added, the value of the cards will drastically lower, and we'll be in a perfect world where people actually trade cards because they want to complete the set and have the badge for the game that they really like.

Yeah, I suppose so.

#5481 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:40 AM

While I agree with your sentiment, I don't think that's Valve's idea (otherwise they wouldn't have made them sellable through steam market). And honestly if only costs a couple bucks to complete a set that's a hellava lot easier than trying to trade the ones you don't want for the ones you have, with someone in the opposite situation.

Amazon $5 off w/EC List

#5482 MrNinjaSquirrel

MrNinjaSquirrel

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:42 AM

Am I the only one that now has the Pokemon theme in their head?

Gotta catch em' all!

#5483 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:45 AM

Am I the only one that now has the Pokemon theme in their head?

Gotta catch em' all!

Uh, oh... now everyone's going to change to Pokemon avatars...

Amazon $5 off w/EC List

#5484 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:12 AM

Uh, oh... now everyone's going to change to Pokemon avatars...

Posted Image

uwkiCEr.gif

#5485 utopianmachine

utopianmachine

Deal Ninja

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:27 AM

https://i.chzbgr.com...1360/h9256573B/

#5486 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:29 AM

@utopian

LOL ^_^

Amazon $5 off w/EC List

#5487 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:16 AM

Chikorita or Dewott (screw Oshawott).

uwkiCEr.gif

#5488 Naked Snake Eyes

Naked Snake Eyes

What would Snake do?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:39 AM

Charmander is still the most badass one.

#5489 basis

basis

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:52 AM

is the The Book of Unwritten Tales Collection worth getting @ $9.99?
http://store.steampo...com/app/221830/

it's only a few more hours left... is this the lowest it has gotten and would there be more to the series?

#5490 Foxhack

Foxhack

Bad at math

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 12:21 PM

While I agree with your sentiment, I don't think that's Valve's idea (otherwise they wouldn't have made them sellable through steam market). And honestly if only costs a couple bucks to complete a set that's a hellava lot easier than trying to trade the ones you don't want for the ones you have, with someone in the opposite situation.

Here's what's bothering me the most.

You only get five cards, right? Well, every game can have up to five badge levels.

So for example, in TF2, you get 5 cards free. Does that mean that you have to pay money, or trade, to get the other 40?

That's... awfully kind of evil.

foxhack.jpg
List your game collection at VGCollect! It's free! Come, we have cookies!