Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V7 - The soda wars have ended, but the deals rage on.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5589 replies to this topic

#2161 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:07 PM

Skyram is old news. It's all about Bioshucks sales now. 91% off with free X-Man: EU

Wow, I didn't know the BioSchlock ripoff was out already.

Which reminds me, should there be a Two Worlds III announcement about now? :razz:

♥·.·´¯`·.·♥ Le Mew - Le Purrrrr ♥·.·´¯`·.·♥
Amazon $5 off w/EC List
Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel

Don't you be messin' with asheskitty. That girl be from the STREETS, yo.

#2162 Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:13 PM

Haven't watched any recently, but last I heard, he's been fired.

Yeah, same here, I read a ton of articles about all the drama on the show.

On another note, Valve just announce Half Life 4. Gabe sez skippin 3 altogether, and 4 will be twice as loko as 2.

Can't get enough of the Fox?  Check out my CAG Blog:  http://www.cheapassg...ul-gamers-blog/

Learn how to get Assassin's Creed III, Bioshock Infinite, NBA 2K14 or other games for $1 (Steam):  http://www.cheapassg...r-1/?p=11692782

#2163 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:17 PM

Gabe sez skippin 3 altogether, and 4 will be twice as loko as 2.

Which is about half as loko as Saints Row 3.

#2164 utopianmachine

utopianmachine

Deal Ninja

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:26 PM

I got it for free on PSN (The Cave) so I won't be too disappointed I guess.

There's a reason it's free. Don't get me wrong. Certain bits shine. But so much is garbage and backtracking.

#2165 Severose

Severose

I'm okie dokie and loopy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:27 PM

For those interested in Endless Space, JakeNome is selling:
$8.11 Endless Space
$8.45 Endless Space Emperor

$8.11 is $0.61 more than 75% off the regular edition ($7.50), and
$8.45 is $0.30 less than 75% off the emperor edition ($8.75) at current store retail prices. Just something to think about if you're interested and/or on the fence about Steam current 66% off price. ;)

CAG: a place to buy/sell/trade games the right way.

GMG ref link: $2 when you spend $2, instantly!

SwagBucks
: Take surveys, click shit to get points to buy gift cards. Get a $5 Amazon GC on a slow month.

http://www.gamersgat.../ggtagi/3687091 Posted Image

#2166 Izod

Izod

CheepLikeASpoder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:28 PM

He's suing the show so I doubt he's still on it.

#2167 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

talkinrock's future son in law

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:39 PM

And is Hester still on the show?

I have a hunch he's broke as well. Even if he wanted to be on the show, he ain't got the scratch.

Blade Symphony - $5 (Steam), Borderlands 2 - $6 (Steam), Last Knight - $2 (Steam)

uwkiCEr.gif

#2168 louiedog

louiedog

20 minutes into the future

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:01 AM

There's a reason it's free. Don't get me wrong. Certain bits shine. But so much is garbage and backtracking.

I can't wrap my head around why they gave you 7 characters to choose from with the way the game is designed. If you want to see all of the content in the game you have to do all of the shared puzzles 3 times and 2 character areas twice. Even if the content was amazing, expecting you to redo certain parts to see all of the puzzles is ridiculous. It was also pretty unfun in co-op. There shouldn't be long stretches where one of the players is just following the other person around or stuck somewhere watching.

#2169 XIGRIMxREAPERIX

XIGRIMxREAPERIX

Insomniac

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:08 AM

Just beat Bioshock Infinite... The game did seem drawn out in parts and the animations when someone was talking seemed a bit off. However, the last couple hours or so of the game made it 100% worth it.
Posted Image

#2170 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

talkinrock's future son in law

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:13 AM

Just beat Bioshock Infinite... The game did seem drawn out in parts and the animations when someone was talking seemed a bit off. However, the last couple hours or so of the game made it 100% worth it.

How dare you speak ill of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Blade Symphony - $5 (Steam), Borderlands 2 - $6 (Steam), Last Knight - $2 (Steam)

uwkiCEr.gif

#2171 MysterD

MysterD

CAG's Favorite DRM-Cashew & Cylon-Toaster

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:22 AM

Skyram is old news. It's all about Bioshucks sales now. 91% off with free X-Man: EU

Woah, woah - what the hell did I miss?
{eyebrow raised}

EDIT:

Wow, I didn't know the BioSchlock ripoff was out already.

Which reminds me, should there be a Two Worlds III announcement about now? :razz:

And, what made Two Worlds 1 and 2 such a rip-off...?
{Eyebrow raised}

Well, if it's the DRM - then I understand where you're going w/ it. :P

While Two Worlds 1 was decent (even despite its numerous flaws); Two Worlds 2 (base game) just was such a much better game - and a major improvement over the original in every way.
Even though I have Two Worlds 2: Pirates of the Flying Fortress expansion, I still ain't touched it...
(SIDE NOTE: I bought Two Worlds 2 GOTY just to get the expansion from Gamersgate when it was cheap, since I already owned Two Worlds 2 import in a box from Gogamer.)

#2172 zubalove

zubalove

Old and In the Way

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:26 AM

You guys just pile on sometimes. Ouch. This is what I get for shunning Coconut Queen.

All I was wondering about was the drop rate of the discount. I should have phrased it as: Will Endless Space be old enough during the Summer Sale to get 75% off? Just asking for an opinion...

#2173 aShufflinZombie

aShufflinZombie

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:30 AM

What hard drive is best for VMs and games in terms of value and reliability? The only HDD brand that I've ever owned were all Seagates, my current 2tb drive is 80% full so I'm looking for another drive. What do you guys use?

#2174 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:37 AM

What hard drive is best for VMs and games in terms of value and reliability? The only HDD brand that I've ever owned were all Seagates, my current 2tb drive is 80% full so I'm looking for another drive. What do you guys use?

Good question.
I really...don't know, hehe.

In my previous PC, I had all Seagates for internal drives (for running games on them).
Had no problems w/ them.

My current PC has TWO WD Black Cavair at 2TB w/ 7200 RPM and 64MB Cache for internals (for running games).
For externals (for backing up stuff - like say game installer files), I have all Seagates (of different sizes).

I've heard lots of horror stories w/ hard drives of all kinds and really ain't had many of those kinds of problems (of hard drives failing, going bad, etc), so...
{...MysterD continues to knock on wood}

#2175 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:48 AM

My current PC has TWO WD Black Cavair at 2TB w/ 7200 RPM and 64MB Cache for internals (for running games).
For externals (for backing up stuff - like say game installer files), I have all Seagates (of different sizes).

I have 3x WD 2TB Caviar Black (which are all 7200 RPM) and a Sammy 830 256 GB, and for externals I have 3x WD USB 3.0 Passports (and various others).

Really is the way to go though:
http://www.amazon.co...viar black 2 tb

#2176 Flowette

Flowette

Level 56 Tea Drinking Royalty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 March 2013 - 01:05 AM

You guys just pile on sometimes. Ouch. This is what I get for shunning Coconut Queen.

All I was wondering about was the drop rate of the discount. I should have phrased it as: Will Endless Space be old enough during the Summer Sale to get 75% off? Just asking for an opinion...

All I know is my gut says maybe.

At this price (well, Jake's price), I've decided I'll finally bite on it. The difference between 66% and 75% is largely immaterial and I figure I'll play it sometime before July so I'm happy to buy now.

It comes down to the age-old CAG motto: will you play it before the next sale? If not, wait.

#2177 aShufflinZombie

aShufflinZombie

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 March 2013 - 01:07 AM

The only thing that keeps me away from Western Digital is the price. A 2TB Seagate is about $80-100. A 2tb WD Black is $174, for that price, I could buy a 4TB Seagate. Are WD drives really that much better.

BTW, I'm using an OCZ Vertex 4 as a boot drive with Windows and all non-game apps.

#2178 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 March 2013 - 01:12 AM

@AShuff
That's a good question b/c last week, I saw NewEgg have a 3TB Seagate internal for around $120.
I ain't had a Seagate for an internal, since I bought my new PC.

EDIT:
I really ain't much issues w/ WD or Seagates, so....
{Shrug}

I have had a Maxtor die on me before, though...

#2179 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 March 2013 - 01:13 AM

It comes down to the age-old CAG motto: will you play it before the next sale? If not, wait. *

*Unless it's a price mistake.

#2180 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 March 2013 - 01:15 AM

*Unless it's a price mistake.

I thought that the asterisk is the Gamersgate's rule? ;)

#2181 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 March 2013 - 01:15 AM

The only thing that keeps me away from Western Digital is the price. A 2TB Seagate is about $80-100. A 2tb WD Black is $174, for that price, I could buy a 4TB Seagate. Are WD drives really that much better.

Three of my WD drives from ~2002 are still 100% working. And they come with a 5 year warranty.

It's up to you. If you're only using it for gaming, and don't care if the hard drive dies, then you might as well get a Seagate.

#2182 aShufflinZombie

aShufflinZombie

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 March 2013 - 01:17 AM

I have 3x WD 2TB Caviar Black (which are all 7200 RPM) and a Sammy 830 256 GB, and for externals I have 3x WD USB 3.0 Passports (and various others).

Really is the way to go though:
http://www.amazon.co...viar black 2 tb

Good question.
I really...don't know, hehe.

In my previous PC, I had all Seagates for internal drives (for running games on them).
Had no problems w/ them.

I've heard lots of horror stories w/ hard drives of all kinds and really ain't had many of those kinds of problems (of hard drives failing, going bad, etc), so...
{...MysterD continues to knock on wood}

@AShuff
That's a good question b/c last week, I saw NewEgg have a 3TB Seagate internal for around $120.
I ain't had a Seagate for an internal, since I bought my new PC.

EDIT:
I really ain't much issues w/ WD or Seagates, so....
{Shrug}

I have had a Maxtor die on me before, though...

I replaced an older 2.5" Hitachi with a WD Scorpio Black and the difference was astonding but Hitachi drives aren't really made for speed or reliablity so that's probably a terrible comparison.

#2183 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 March 2013 - 01:17 AM

Spoiler
And, what made Two Worlds 1 and 2 such a rip-off...?
{Eyebrow raised}
Spoiler

The Two World III remark was just a random thought, not intended to be connected to the BioSchlock knockoff comment. (Besides it's closer to Skyram than BioSchlock.)

On hard drives I've had good luck with Western Digitals (excluding the shitty Green drives). Hitachis have also been good to me. There's been a lot of consolidation and buyouts so now days it's mostly Seagate VS Western Digital. The problems nowdays are more model specific than anything else. (Unlike say, I would advise never buying a Maxtor.) Samsungs seem to be okay, but their controller algorithms were unrefined when I last looked at fine grained transfer rate plots from their drives. (WD & Seagate looked as expected.)

I think that most of the whinning you're seeing these days is from the small number of people who statistically get bad drives being disproportionally vocal.

Amazon $5 off w/EC List
Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel

#2184 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 March 2013 - 01:22 AM

The Two World III remark was just a random thought, not intended to be connected to the BioSchlock knockoff comment. (Besides it's closer to Skyram than BioSchlock.)

On hard drives I've had good luck with Western Digitals (excluding the shitty Green drives). Hitachis have also been good to me. There's been a lot of consolidation and buyouts so now days it's mostly Seagate VS Western Digital. The problems nowdays are more model specific than anything else. (Unlike say, I would advise never buying a Maxtor.) Samsungs seem to be okay, but their controller algorithms were unrefined when I last looked at fine grained transfer rate plots from their drives. (WD & Seagate looked as expected.)

I think that most of the whinning you're seeing these days is from the small number of people who statistically get bad drives being disproportionally vocal.

Worth noting - the Maxtor lasted a good number of years (at least over 5 years on a REALLY OLD PC), so...
{shrug}

But, yeah - I'd mainly go w/ WD Black Cav or Seagate, these days...

EDIT:
BTW, what's the Bioshlock ripoff and knockoff?
We talking about Singularity? :P
(Okay, fine - that Singularity game also reminds me of STALKER & Timeshift, too).

Oh, what's w/ the 91% off thing w/ Bioshlock and XCOM?

#2185 aShufflinZombie

aShufflinZombie

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 March 2013 - 01:25 AM

Worth noting - the Maxtor lasted a good number of years (at least over 5 years on a REALLY OLD PC), so...
{shrug}

Is Cavier blue a no go? I don't mind paying extra for additional speed or reliability but I am still a CAG so the gains better be proportional with the price increase.

#2186 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 March 2013 - 01:28 AM

BTW, I'm using an OCZ Vertex 4 as a boot drive with Windows and all non-game apps.

You have an SSD for the fast stuff. In comparison to the SSD boost, differences between spinning hard drives is largely nitpicking.

I'd suggest keeping an eye out for a WD Red or Blue (on sale they run about the same as Seagates).

Amazon $5 off w/EC List

#2187 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 March 2013 - 01:30 AM

Is Cavier blue a no go? I don't mind paying extra for additional speed or reliability but I am still a CAG so the gains better be proportional with the price increase.

Blue is slower. Good for, say, media storage (though I still use Black for that...)

#2188 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 March 2013 - 01:32 AM

I don't know. Never read or heard much about it.
Some people recommended back when I getting parts to build this PC, to go w/ WD Black Cav, so I did...
{shrug}

#2189 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 March 2013 - 01:34 AM

{shrug}

EDIT:
BTW, what's the Bioshlock ripoff and knockoff?
We talking about Singularity? :P
(Okay, fine - that Singularity game also reminds me of STALKER & Timeshift, too).

Oh, what's w/ the 91% off thing w/ Bioshlock and XCOM?

I fucking hated the sound of Maxtors. *all* Maxtors. CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK I could hear them from 40 feet away. (Toshiba and Fujitsu laptop drives are clickly for laptop drives. Seagates aren't that great on sound either.)

It's 91% off on Bioshucks and XMen: EU. ^_~

Not the genuine Bioschlock.

Amazon $5 off w/EC List

#2190 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 March 2013 - 01:34 AM

You have an SSD for the fast stuff. In comparison to the SSD boost, differences between spinning hard drives is largely nitpicking.

I'd suggest keeping an eye out for a WD Red or Blue (on sale they run about the same as Seagates).

How do you feel about WD Black Cav's?
I have TWO of them WD Black Cav at w/ 7200 RPM and 64 MB Cache.

EDIT:
I messed up early and said I had 2 WD Black Cav's at 2TB (each).
I meant 2TB total (they both are one TB each).