[youtube]q_MEFt7KrxQ[/youtube]

*Includes both AOE2 + The Conquerors campaigns

*Enhanced Visuals

*Multimonitor support

*Steam workshop

*Enhanced Multiplayer

$19.99 base, $17.99 preorder.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/221380/

Anyone trying to throw down in some Post Imperial Deathmatch 1v1? I was all business for that gametype back in the day :D

Jesus they want $18 for that? I'll stick with AoE3 which I've barely begun and got the complete edition ON A DISK from the MS Store sale on BF for $10.

I used to have hours of fun with AOE 2.. I will grab this one up the first time they put it on sale. (cheap ass)

[quote name='itachiitachi']I'm not sure why this product exists, why not update AoE3 or make AoE4?[/QUOTE]

Because some people are very fond of AOE 2... Dusting it off and making it work on my new computer is going to be a great treat.

By your logic no one should ever bother with older Final Fantasies, they should only want to play the most current one, right?

It looks nice. I think Age of Mythology is their best game, though. I love mythology, though, so maybe I'm biased.

[quote name='itachiitachi']I'm not sure why this product exists, why not update AoE3 or make AoE4?[/QUOTE]

While I like AOE3 there were some loved AOE2 features removed for AOE3. The three that come to mind are the lack of an automated patrol function, troop formations, and a Regicide mode on any map you want (AOE 3 only has regicide on 1 map).

[quote name='ID2006']It looks nice. I think Age of Mythology is their best game, though. I love mythology, though, so maybe I'm biased.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I recently reinstalled it, I would love a new version with updated graphics.

[quote name='venturin']

By your logic no one should ever bother with older Final Fantasies, they should only want to play the most current one, right?[/QUOTE]
No because the inherit difference in the final fantasy games is the stories rather than iterating game play.
[quote name='Clownzilla']While I like AOE3 there were some loved AOE2 features removed for AOE3. The three that come to mind are the lack of an automated patrol function, troop formations, and a Regicide mode on any map you want (AOE 3 only has regicide on 1 map).[/QUOTE]

So couldn't they just add all those features to an AoE3 HD version?

I also want to play an HD version of Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds. It wasn't as good as Age of Empires II, but still fun to build an army of Jedi.

I was always a huge fan of all the Age of Empires games. I wasn't that big on Age of Myth, but I think that's because of the god powers.

Now I just have to determine if I want to buy AoE2 HD by itself or spend the extra $10 to rebuy AoE3 so I can have it on Steam...

[quote name='itachiitachi']Call of duty also has a story based campaign, that's not why most people play the game though.

Nice try though.. What else you got?[/QUOTE]

Civ IV.. Why do people play that when there's Civ V? hmmm.. Why did they remake the first Fire Emblem game? Twice!

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2825541

Starting to understand now? Some people actually prefer an earlier version of a game, even when it has nothing to do with stories. Others may enjoy the nostalgia of playing an earlier game in a series. And that hopefully helps you to understand why the reissue of AOE 2 will soon be enjoyed again by myself and many others.

[quote name='KillerRamen']I was always a huge fan of all the Age of Empires games. I wasn't that big on Age of Myth, but I think that's because of the god powers.

Now I just have to determine if I want to buy AoE2 HD by itself or spend the extra $10 to rebuy AoE3 so I can have it on Steam...[/QUOTE]

Did you get it for 10 cents on game for windows live? Thats made it very easy for me to hold off on the steam version :D

[quote name='BackInBlack']Did you get it for 10 cents on game for windows live? Thats made it very easy for me to hold off on the steam version :D[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I got it for 10 cents. I also have it on disk, but I've spent so much time with it that buying it again really doesn't seem all that crazy to me.

[quote name='venturin']Civ IV.. Why do people play that when there's Civ V? [/QUOTE]
The same reason they played Civ II over Civ III, the odd number civ games aren't as good. I don't see an HD remake of Civ 4 though.

[quote name='venturin']
Why did they remake the first Fire Emblem game? Twice![/QUOTE]
Because it is a story based game known for it deep character development. In addition it's not like old copies of the game are available in your you average shop, nor are you able to stick a famicon cartridge in you ds, 3ds, wii ect......
AoE2 on the other hand still works on the newest machines and has plenty of supply.

See the point now? AoE2 is not played for its charterers or story so stop trying to act like it is.

They're remaking it for Steam so I can buy it on Steam. AoE 2 is awesome and I can't wait to play it again in HD! :whee:

I'm guessing they're doing it for lots of other people too... It's already in the top 10 and it's not even out yet!

[quote name='itachiitachi']

See the point now? AoE2 is not played for its charterers or story so stop trying to act like it is.[/QUOTE]

lol you're so worked up.. You were the one that brought up the story bit, not me so give it up ok?

People are going to buy and enjoy AOE 2 because it is a good game. Yeesh..

[quote name='killerramen']they're remaking it for steam so i can buy it on steam. Aoe 2 is awesome and i can't wait to play it again in hd! :whee:

I'm guessing they're doing it for lots of other people too... It's already in the top 10 and it's not even out yet![/quote]

But people shouldn't buy it because itachi said so!

[quote name='venturin']Civ IV.. Why do people play that when there's Civ V? hmmm.. Why did they remake the first Fire Emblem game? Twice!

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2825541

Starting to understand now? Some people actually prefer an earlier version of a game, even when it has nothing to do with stories. Others may enjoy the nostalgia of playing an earlier game in a series. And that hopefully helps you to understand why the reissue of AOE 2 will soon be enjoyed again by myself and many others.[/QUOTE]
You could just play AoE 2. For free.

They're going to ruin it anyway by removing the feature of only being able to have low res graphics. fucking remakes.

[quote name='crystalklear64']You could just play AoE 2. For free [/QUOTE]

For free? Why in the world would I want to steal? I can afford to buy my games

Let's go with because AoE3 blows compared to AoE2. My friends and I still attempt to LAN some AoE2 to this day. Why? Because I want to trebuchet the shit out of things not shoot them with tanks.

Two very different games.

Pre ordered mine ... now to convince some friends to actually get Steam haha. Anyone who pre orders can play a few days early as well

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='venturin']lol you're so worked up.. You were the one that brought up the story bit, not me so give it up ok? [/QUOTE]
Your the one that's trying to claim that it has a real story that would get people to buy the game. Why is it so hard to admit that no one care about the story?

[quote name='itachiitachi']Your the one that's trying to claim that it has a real story that would get people to buy the game. Why is it so hard to admit that no one care about the story?[/QUOTE]

Dude.. Why do you keep arguing about nothing??

You posted this; "I'm not sure why this product exists, why not update AoE3 or make AoE4? "

The HD redo of AOE 2 'exists' because AOE 2 is a Good Game.

Why you keep trying to argue is beyond me, but, whatever

[quote name='venturin']Dude.. Why do you keep arguing about nothing??

You posted this; "I'm not sure why this product exists, why not update AoE3 or make AoE4? "
[/QUOTE]
Because you posted a ignorant comment like this.
By your logic no one should ever bother with older Final Fantasies, they should only want to play the most current one, right?

LOL. Too Funny.. You took away the first part of that post of mine, where I explained to you "Because some people are very fond of AOE 2"

Real nice selective editing there. And once again I will answer your question as to why a re-do of AOE 2 exists; Because it is a good game and (as I said) people are very fond of it. Care to respond to that?

[quote name='venturin']LOL. Too Funny.. You took away the first part of that post of mine, where I explained to you "Because some people are very fond of AOE 2" [/QUOTE]
Too funny coming from the guy who did the same thing.
Ya I took away the first part because it had nothing to do with you making stupid comparisons.
[quote name='venturin']
Real nice selective editing there. And once again I will answer your question as to why a re-do of AOE 2 exists; Because it is a good game and (as I said) people are very fond of it. Care to respond to that?[/QUOTE]
Because modders redid it better?

After having a quick look at it, and seeing it was still janky, and the most of the new features had already been done by others the real reason for a Re-do was evident: cash grab.

[quote name='itachiitachi']Because modders redid it better?

After having a quick look at it, and seeing it was still janky, and the most of the new features had already been done by others the real reason for a Re-do was evident: cash grab.[/QUOTE]

I guess those modders also gave everyone a very popular, very well known avenue for the AoE2 fans to all get together and play as well. Isn't "better" just an opinionated word as well? I mean I did hate the original so much that I'm just going to throw my 15$ at these guys because I just want to show them what's what.

Seriously 3/4s of these threads just have people come in and argue about crap that doesn't make logical sense.

Anyways ....

What is everyone's favorite Civilization? Mine was always the Spaniards.

[quote name='strikeratt']I guess those modders also gave everyone a very popular, very well known avenue for the AoE2 fans to all get together and play as well. [/QUOTE]
If the modders could release the original AoE2 on steam I'm sure they would. It just proves my point about a cash grab, rather than make the original AoE2 available on steam, if people want to play it on steam they now need to rebuy the game.

[quote name='itachiitachi']If the modders could release the original AoE2 on steam I'm sure they would. It just proves my point about a cash grab, rather than make the original AoE2 available on steam, if people want to play it on steam they now need to rebuy the game.[/QUOTE]

You may have your point but last time I checked modders don't own the rights to the game, which is required for Steam to put into their services, which requires additional services to run, which costs money ... well you get the point.

Then on top of those the game is being revamped to be stable on newer computers and even rework a couple aspects of the game by an Indie developer, who's given us a handful of great games. By handful I mean like 3 games.

I digress though, how dare these greedy greedy bastards take my 15 dollars and give me an amazing game and help put an amazing community back together. I'll be extremely upset when they offer the game for next to nothing in the near future. Not to mention using Steam servers to create that environment.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back