Photo
- - - - -

OOS - Sony PS Vita 32GB Memory Card - $50 plus others att.com!!

• Please log in to reply
663 replies to this topic

#301 Anexanhume

Anexanhume

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:35 PM

Why should anyone care what Sony's rationale is behind the implementation of a proprietary storage medium? At the end of the day they have a product they want to sell. If the product is successful they make a ton of money on it. Conversely, if the product doesn't sell then the problem lies with manufacturer not the consumer. The market obviously could not bare the cost of the memory cards or better yet the demand wasn't there.

Sony only cares about their bottom line as does every corporation. In this case the only people hurt by their policies are their loyal costumers.

Because everyone complaining is trying to explain their rationale behind charging so much. Most people aren't so naive as to think corporations make decisions like this in a unilateral manner. Does Sony want to make money on accessories when console are usually loss leaders? Of course. Does Sony want to make consumers happy, because that means they spend more and the company makes more? Of course. Not everyone is out to stick it to the consumer because they can.

Is there a good VIta info thread here on CAG? Interested in finding out all the good info. For instance do most people have multiple plus accounts for US,EU, and Japan? Is that the reason for having a Japan specific card?

http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=284977

#302 Makarov

Makarov

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:40 PM

I'm glad I saw this thread last night. My order of the 32gb card, sony travel pouch and screen protector are all processing. This should be a big step up from the 4gb card I have now.

#303 mywhitenoise

mywhitenoise

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:42 PM

Damn, wish I saw this last night. Anyone willing to sell me an extra?
Posted Image

#304 Kazuya

Kazuya

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:44 PM

Why should anyone care what Sony's rationale is behind the implementation of a proprietary storage medium? At the end of the day they have a product they want to sell. If the product is successful they make a ton of money on it. Conversely, if the product doesn't sell then the problem lies with manufacturer not the consumer. The market obviously could not bare the cost of the memory cards or better yet the demand wasn't there.

Sony only cares about their bottom line as does every corporation. In this case the only people hurt by their policies are their loyal costumers.

LOL, surely you can't be serious. If the Vita is hacked then we ALL lose... Sony and Vita owners alike. Can you imagine if, as slow as the Vita has started, you could throw it being hacked on top of that? Developers would just go ahead and toss their dev kits.

Tired of cry babies complaining about the price of these while bending over for Apple and Microsoft with even worse storage prices. Shut up already.

#305 madds

madds

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:51 PM

Just got back from one of the B&M stores. If they have them in stock, they should ring up at the discounted prices.

#306 mars009

mars009

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:54 PM

FML, that one day I don't check CAG at night :\

#307 cheapwick

cheapwick

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:56 PM

I tried but too late, I usually check the site but I have been so busy at work!

Does anyone have any extras of these to trade or sell for $50?

#308 Nucking Futs

Nucking Futs

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:59 PM

Just use the Media Manager to back up everything to your pc. You'll still have to reorganize the icons after the restore though.

Thanks, I'll look into that as I've never used the Media Manager for the Vita.

Sony had to protect their developer relationships and that meant a storage medium you couldn't get unlicensed content on easily. Piracy was rampant on the psp and this is one way to combat it. Pricing may suck but to attribute it solely to Sony's greed and ignorance is extremely short sighted.

Because everyone complaining is trying to explain their rationale behind charging so much. Most people aren't so naive as to think corporations make decisions like this in a unilateral manner. Does Sony want to make money on accessories when console are usually loss leaders? Of course. Does Sony want to make consumers happy, because that means they spend more and the company makes more? Of course. Not everyone is out to stick it to the consumer because they can.

http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=284977

LOL, surely you can't be serious. If the Vita is hacked then we ALL lose... Sony and Vita owners alike. Can you imagine if, as slow as the Vita has started, you could throw it being hacked on top of that? Developers would just go ahead and toss their dev kits.

Tired of cry babies complaining about the price of these while bending over for Apple and Microsoft with even worse storage prices. Shut up already.

Completely agree with guys/gals!
- Jimmy

Love me some arcade sticks!

#309 mcpeepants

mcpeepants

EAT YR POTATO RICKY

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:05 PM

Hopefully within the next 15 months Ultimate MVC 3, Persona 4, DOA 5+, or MGS Collection HD get added to PS+ cause those are about the only other games I want besides the ones already offered for free on plus currently

bbbbbut all those titles are...

just got a 3ds off cowboom myself, and wound up buying ridge racer, ace combat, and Williams pinball - recycled ahoy!

#310 MildObstruction

MildObstruction

the artist formerly known as pete not pete

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:07 PM

Was I suppose to be charged for my order already? I don't see anything on my card. :(

I have a pending charge on my card and I got the 'warehouse' email.

Is there a good VIta info thread here on CAG? Interested in finding out all the good info. For instance do most people have multiple plus accounts for US,EU, and Japan? Is that the reason for having a Japan specific card?

The Vita subforum (off the main Sony forum) can be handy. As a rule I think most people haven't bothered with the multiple account voodoo because of the sheer inconvenience on the vita. The few that have will surely have some more insight. I just got a second card because my vita isn't going anywhere and I'd like to have a backup.

MildObstruction.png

#311 psunami

psunami

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:08 PM

Has anyone tried a Best Buy price match to see if they will honor it?

I know someone made a screenshot last night when they still had them in stock.

Edit: And one of my local stores has the 16GB cards in stock for $30, so I'm debating that... but I would prefer a 32...

#312 arcane93

arcane93

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:10 PM

Sony had to protect their developer relationships and that meant a storage medium you couldn't get unlicensed content on easily. Piracy was rampant on the psp and this is one way to combat it. Pricing may suck but to attribute it solely to Sony's greed and ignorance is extremely short sighted.

Piracy was rampant on the PSP, and yet that used a proprietary storage medium as well -- meaning that a proprietary storage medium does nothing to curb piracy. So sorry, I don't buy your argument.

As far as I'm concerned, it's costing them... Every time I look at games on the Playstation Store, the first thing that I do is factor in how much more money, in addition to the cost of the game itself, it's going to cost me in storage. Given the price of these cards, I don't buy much from the Playstation Store, when I might otherwise.

#313 UltimateIdiot911

UltimateIdiot911

Have a nice tragedy!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:16 PM

Piracy was rampant on the PSP, and yet that used a proprietary storage medium as well -- meaning that a proprietary storage medium does nothing to curb piracy. So sorry, I don't buy your argument.

As far as I'm concerned, it's costing them... Every time I look at games on the Playstation Store, the first thing that I do is factor in how much more money, in addition to the cost of the game itself, it's going to cost me in storage. Given the price of these cards, I don't buy much from the Playstation Store, when I might otherwise.

The difference here is Ms duo pro is open, vita memory cards are not. Personally I hate buying digital and avoid it to the best of my ability. However PS+ is forcing me to get the 32.

#314 psunami

psunami

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:16 PM

Um... no, the card wasn't proprietary. There were 3rd party memory stick pro's that you could buy made by Sandisk and others.

Also, it was a card you could just put into a PC and read and modify. This time that can't be done (at the moment.)

Edited by psunami, 08 March 2013 - 05:32 PM.
For clarity of the post.

#315 Kazuya

Kazuya

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:19 PM

LOL, more Einstein level logic I see. So since the PSP was hacked, let's not even TRY to stop piracy, let's let the consumer save a few bucks and have the system hacked wide open on day one. Brilliant.

The PSP was nine years ago... comparing Sony's strategy then and now is useless. Sony has a good idea on what they're doing; the PS3 was very well designed in this regard and so far to this point the Vita has been too. You don't stop piracy, you delay it. Stop crying like a baby.

#316 Anexanhume

Anexanhume

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:20 PM

You realize you can delete content and redownload it, right?

#317 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:25 PM

Um... no, it wasn't. There were 3rd party memory stick pro's that you could buy made by Sandisk and others.

Also, it was a card you could just put into a PC and read and modify. This time that can't be done (at the moment.)

You've got to be kidding. Piracy is huge problem on the PSP.

you are a pillar of the video game/gaming community. 

Thanks you are truly a pillar of the community!

#318 psunami

psunami

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:30 PM

The "no, it wasn't" comment was to the guy saying that the proprietary memory card wasn't the problem.

I know that piracy was huge on the PSP. The open memory cards were a major reason for that.

Reading my original message, I can see the confusion there.

#319 Anexanhume

Anexanhume

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:31 PM

He's talking about the memory being proprietary or not, not whether piracy was a concern.

However, the memory was still proprietary. There just happened to be licensed manufacturers of it (because it could be used for cameras and other non-game items). Not the case this time.

#320 arcane93

arcane93

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:32 PM

You realize you can delete content and redownload it, right?

Sure, as long as I want to do multi-gigabyte downloads every time I want to play a game. No thanks.

#321 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:33 PM

The "no, it wasn't" comment was to the guy saying that the proprietary memory card wasn't the problem.

I know that piracy was huge on the PSP. The open memory cards were a major reason for that.

Reading my original message, I can see the confusion there.

Alright. Gotcha ;)

#322 Brahman

Brahman

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:38 PM

LOL, surely you can't be serious. If the Vita is hacked then we ALL lose... Sony and Vita owners alike. Can you imagine if, as slow as the Vita has started, you could throw it being hacked on top of that?

Sure can. PSP started slow due to Sony's business decisions rendering it a neutered dog (like Vita), it got hacked (increased the value of owning one on the consumer end, esp since it eliminated THE biggest issue with the system, loading), which helped the PSP and memory cards sell more than it ever would've without being hacked (which will likely also be the case for the Vita UNLESS they let up on the memory margins)

#323 arcane93

arcane93

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:39 PM

Um... no, the card wasn't proprietary. There were 3rd party memory stick pro's that you could buy made by Sandisk and others.

Well, I was referring as much to UMD as to Memory Stick Pro, as they were really the main source of games during the PSP's lifetime... Can't use those discs anywhere other than in the PSP, yet people still found a means of copying them. As they will for the Vita memory cards, given time. I just feel that a good, strong DRM scheme would have been just as effective, if not more effective, than hiding behind the security-through-obscurity of a proprietary memory device. You're free to disagree.

#324 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:41 PM

Well, I was referring as much to UMD as to Memory Stick Pro, as they were really the main source of games during the PSP's lifetime... Can't use those discs anywhere other than in the PSP, yet people still found a means of copying them. As they will for the Vita memory cards, given time. I just feel that a good, strong DRM scheme would have been just as effective, if not more effective, than hiding behind the security-through-obscurity of a proprietary memory device. You're free to disagree.

You underestimate the people who hack these kinds of things.

#325 aaf

aaf

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:43 PM

damn , I miss it for 2nd time after the sony store sale :(

#326 Kazuya

Kazuya

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:44 PM

Sure can. PSP started slow due to Sony's business decisions rendering it a neutered dog (like Vita), it got hacked (increased the value of owning one on the consumer end, esp since it eliminated THE biggest issue with the system, loading), which helped the PSP and memory cards sell more than it ever would've without being hacked (which will likely also be the case for the Vita UNLESS they let up on the memory margins)

A scenario which, strangely enough, would be ideal (short term anyway) for Sony but terrible for gamers. So what's your point?

#327 affa

affa

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:46 PM

No, I blame Sony for getting greedy and using severely overpriced proprietary memory cards, when they could have easily used cheap and readily available SD cards. Apple has nothing to do with it.

At that point you might as well blame the people that pirated the living bejesus out of the PSP. that's why Sony developed proprietary memory cards, and that extra R&D (plus revving up new production vs. economies of scale) is why they had to price them so high. If I had to hazard a guess, Sony would have much preferred to go with standard mem for a number of reasons but I understand why it wasn't really an option if they wanted a secure system.

#328 arcane93

arcane93

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:48 PM

You underestimate the people who hack these kinds of things.

No, I don't, but you're missing a major security flaw in Sony's setup anyway -- the fact that I can plug the Vita into my PC, and with the Content Manager, make a copy from one Vita card to another. As soon as data transfer through a PC like that is allowed, it is essentially killing the value of having a proprietary storage system. Once that data is in the PC, it's all up to the DRM to protect it. If and when the Vita gets hacked, that's where it will probably happen, and all of the proprietary storage in the world isn't going to stop it. Of course, without that data transfer capability Sony would be severely crippling the system, so they're stuck one way or the other...

#329 RedFoxCommando

RedFoxCommando

I Am Spartacus!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:50 PM

Why does every thread have to turn into a debate, I swear, I've seen more "experts" in forums.

#330 affa

affa

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:51 PM

Why should anyone care what Sony's rationale is behind the implementation of a proprietary storage medium?

We don't need to -until- someone claims the rationale is Sony's 'greed', at which point it needs to be clarified that the 'greed' at fault was not Sony's, but psp hackers.