Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:58 PM

I should probably play my copy one day.

This

#32 ElektroDragon

ElektroDragon

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:04 PM

Well... I broke down and bought it so I could at least say I have an excellent PS3 exclusives collection. Besides, I do plan to get through my old non-trophy games someday... like Folklore, Lair, Heavenly Sword, even the poor old abandoned IP Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom, which was damn good. Just playing games without Trophies/Achieves is damn hard, even though I thought my Wii U had got me over it.

#33 RudyPants

RudyPants

Zombie on my lawn!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:06 PM

Excellent game. Too bad the follow-ups were on the PSP, which I never owned.

#34 mcpeepants

mcpeepants

EAT YR POTATO RICKY

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:10 PM

Valkyria Chronicles is the only reason I bought a PS3.

#35 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:15 PM

Well... I broke down and bought it so I could at least say I have an excellent PS3 exclusives collection. Besides, I do plan to get through my old non-trophy games someday... like Folklore, Lair, Heavenly Sword, even the poor old abandoned IP Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom, which was damn good. Just playing games without Trophies/Achieves is damn hard, even though I thought my Wii U had got me over it.

I had Untold Legends and thought it was absolutely horrible. I resold it after barely playing a couple of hours. Completely subpar IMO and not at all worth your time if you have a backlog. Folklore was good but don't waste your money on any of the DLC. It's ALL a waste of money. Heavenly Sword...eh...averagish but super short, you should just play that to get it out of the backlog, it's like 6 hours long. Never plaid Lair after I heard people saying it wasn't good.

#36 ElektroDragon

ElektroDragon

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:27 PM

I had Untold Legends and thought it was absolutely horrible. I resold it after barely playing a couple of hours. Completely subpar IMO and not at all worth your time if you have a backlog. Folklore was good but don't waste your money on any of the DLC. It's ALL a waste of money. Heavenly Sword...eh...averagish but super short, you should just play that to get it out of the backlog, it's like 6 hours long. Never plaid Lair after I heard people saying it wasn't good.

Well your comments might explain why I've only played an hour or two of each game before putting it down. :applause: I thought Dark Kingdom was fun last time I played it in like... 2008, but I'm a sucker for ARPG, and sadly between launch and Diablo 3 on PS3, Dark Kingdom will be THE CLOSEST THING TO AN ARPG on the PS3 if you don't count that lame Dungeon Hunter. Which is sad. I'm sorry, hate all you want on Dark Kingdom, but its better than Dungeon Hunter!

#37 HakaHina

HakaHina

Glasses God

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:36 PM

Well your comments might explain why I've only played an hour or two of each game before putting it down. :applause: I thought Dark Kingdom was fun last time I played it in like... 2008, but I'm a sucker for ARPG, and sadly between launch and Diablo 3 on PS3, Dark Kingdom will be THE CLOSEST THING TO AN ARPG on the PS3 if you don't count that lame Dungeon Hunter. Which is sad. I'm sorry, hate all you want on Dark Kingdom, but its better than Dungeon Hunter!

There's still Dungeon Siege 3. It's rather average though.
Posted Image

#38 IceColdKilla44

IceColdKilla44

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:40 PM

edit: I should add this to anyone that thinks they want this but they're not sure. I've been waiting for this to be $10 for a long time. It doesn't look like it's going to happen and prices on eBay have been ~20 for the last couple of years even though it's been available on newegg for 15.99 that entire time. So you can easily get your money back if you don't like it and the game could very well go up to the 30-40 range in a year or two now that it's finally sold out at retail (unless they do a 3rd printing of it). So I do think the risk involved in a purchase is pretty small.

Yeah, I have to agree. About $17 for this game new is probably as good as it's going to get.

Best Buy's my go-to store for gaming, but I can't even price match this because they don't even carry this new anymore. Even getting this used, if you can find it there, is $18.
I don't think any retailers carry this new anymore, so clearance prices are unlikely. And it's a 2008 niche game so prices for this new on eBay will definitely skyrocket.

Best to pick this up & throw it in the backlog.

#39 needler420

needler420

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:50 PM

I think this was the 2nd ps3 game I owned after MGS4. Picked it up New at walmart in 2009 for $19.99 and still haven't played it.

Glad to own it. Price difference is so small from when I got it which makes me happy. I like to catch games as depreciated as they'll go.

needler420.png

#40 mirai

mirai

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:50 PM

I don't get it why they moved the sequels away from PS3 to PSP.

#41 Perfect*Ending

Perfect*Ending

Cute Kelly

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:04 PM

I'll buy one. :)
Posted Image
Best in the World!

New Acronyms:
MSRP = Many Stupid Ridiculous Prices
SAD = Shitty Ass Deal

If you have a PS3, but are not gamesharing, you're doing it wrong.
Get a $60 game on day one for as low as $10?! :hot:
http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=339425

#42 jello44

jello44

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:06 PM

I don't get it why they moved the sequels away from PS3 to PSP.

Cheaper development costs.

#43 twiceborn

twiceborn

SAY WHAT?!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:22 PM

One of the few srpg games I've bothered to not only finish but play it again afterwards.

"When I die, I want to go just like my grandpa, peacefully and in my sleep,... not kicking and screaming like all of his passengers."

Joker "It seems he finally took the stick out of his a#*, but now he wants to beat people to death with it."

#44 Siefer

Siefer

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:25 PM

I personally think this is one of the best, if not the best overall game that has come to America from Japan this generation (and definitely the best, if not one of the best games that Sega has their name attached to).

As a fan of SRPGs, this game does an excellent job of masking the traditional approach to turn-based strategy games with the "illusion" of real-time, so it doesn't feel as slow (although the time investment per battle is roughly on par). The way they approached unit movement and battle also feels a lot more engaging and immersive than what most people are used to (i.e. Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactics Ogre, etc.). They do a lot of smart tweaks to the system that streamline the experience and highly reduce the grinding aspect of turn-based SRPGs that I hate so much.

For those of you worried that you'll have to use your brain (yes, there are people out there who don't like thinking when playing video games), nothing in this game really makes you think and you can kind of abuse certain (very obvious) units/strategies the entire game (you may have to think if you're trying to get S rank on every mission without reading up on how to do it though). To be fair though, outside of puzzle games, video games are not a good source of intellectual stimulation.

I normally don't post my thoughts in these forums on things like this, because I realize that in the end, this is entirely subjective, but at that price point, you'll be hard pressed to find a better value per dollar anywhere else on any system. Unless you're living in poverty or have gaming as a very low priority in your hierarchy of hobbies, you really can't go wrong with this purchase. For those of you who are just not a fan of these types of games, well, it wouldn't have mattered how low this game got in price, so just move along.

#45 midlifecrisisMkII

midlifecrisisMkII

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:55 PM

With the PS4 out at the end of the year, some titles are going to start getting more and more difficult to find. I think VC will be one of those titles that will slowly get more expensive. Not really rare like the craziness happening with Xenoblade Chronicles, but not easy to even find a $25 gutted copy at GS. On the other hand, there's always digital.

Also, I'd buy a copy of a localized VC3. I think it would be a nice swan song title for the PSP. Doubt it will happen though.

#46 yokofox33

yokofox33

House Stark

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:06 PM

I sold my used copy awhile ago, but still have a copy sealed. I might get another one to play again as I'm itching to get into the game once more.

#47 Zonic505

Zonic505

People read these?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:28 PM

Alright, question. I got VC2 on PSN since it was $10 & I've been enjoying it (though I've noticed some missions to finish the chapter/month tend to have a rather annoying difficulty spike that make me go back & grind). How much different is the original compared to the sequel?

Granted, this is still very tempting as it was one of the first games that made me want to get a PS3 & I've got $36 in Amazon credit.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#48 Yamato

Yamato

not motivated

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:29 PM

[video sample]

thanks, this really drew me in. I'm gonna have to get it.. maybe.

EDIT: By the way, there is no demo for this game. Don't waste your time looking like I did.

Edited by Yamato, 10 March 2013 - 10:02 PM.

#49 Josh1billion

Josh1billion

日本語の学生

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:10 PM

Great game. I bought it a few years ago at $30 and would highly recommend it.

Regardless of what others have said about it being a "niche" title, it's a very approachable game, much more so than most strategy RPG's. Even if you've never played another game in the genre before, you shouldn't have any difficulty in understanding and playing it.

Josh1billion.png

Check out my free Android puzzle game, Super Blackout.  90 levels + random level generator + level editor.

#50 TeamSwish

TeamSwish

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:28 PM

Thanks OP. Picked one up.

Same day I used my GS used games coupon on Tales of Graces f.....and I only have an hour into Ni No. I need to find some time.
Posted Image

#51 venturin

venturin

SalmonChantedEvening

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:35 PM

Oh please. It's good but that's a ridiculous statement. Also, I wish they had bothered to patch in Trophies. :cry:

Seriously? It's my opinion. I loved this game more than any other this generation. Oh please yourself..
Posted Image

#52 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:35 PM

thanks, this really drew me in. I'm gonna have to get it.. maybe.

EDIT: By the way, there is no demo for this game. Don't waste your time looking like I did.

They took it down a couple of years ago. If you had previously downloaded it you can find it in your download history and get it again. Otherwise it's a waste of time.

#53 plasmabeam

plasmabeam

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:55 PM

With the PS4 out at the end of the year, some titles are going to start getting more and more difficult to find. I think VC will be one of those titles that will slowly get more expensive. Not really rare like the craziness happening with Xenoblade Chronicles, but not easy to even find a $25 gutted copy at GS. On the other hand, there's always digital.

Also, I'd buy a copy of a localized VC3. I think it would be a nice swan song title for the PSP. Doubt it will happen though.

I'm tempted to buy an extra copy and stash it in my closet for a few years. Non-Final Fantasy JRPGs tend to really bumb in value once they're out of print.

Check out my gaming blog Title Screen -- Updated DAILY

#54 chrislaustin

chrislaustin

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:56 PM

They took it down a couple of years ago. If you had previously downloaded it you can find it in your download history and get it again. Otherwise it's a waste of time.

Yeah, I just looked for it to, and it's gone. I think I did download it years ago, but never tried it. Let me go check my history and see if I can re download(fingers crossed).

I do have the PSP game, but never played it. Would you guys recommend I start with part 2, or 1, or does it matter?

#55 TooPoor

TooPoor

∀ Game, ∃ Buy Price

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:23 PM

The game has no rarity. I got it over 3 years ago at walmart new for $20.

Not sure why you would have wanted two copies to begin with unless you're just that OCD of a collector.

People should stop calling it OCD though as it's not really OCD. Stupidity fits better IMO.

Collecting, in general, is about rare, mint and sealed items. You must think all collectors of anything are stupid then.

Mathematically Correct.
Use factual statements, logical deductions, mathematical calculations and objective analysis; not rage.

My Trade List

NI_YA_SHA_BI.png

#56 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:26 PM

The game has no rarity. I got it over 3 years ago at walmart new for $20.

Not sure why you would have wanted two copies to begin with unless you're just that OCD of a collector.

People should stop calling it OCD though as it's not really OCD. Stupidity fits better IMO.

It was becoming rare a couple of years ago but they did a reprint and prices fell. Now that reprint is sold out.

#57 needler420

needler420

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:29 PM

Collecting, in general, is about rare, mint and sealed items. You must think all collectors of anything are stupid then.

He's got sealed and mint down. Considering the game has been a sub $20 dollar game for like 3-4 years now he's a pretty far ways from rare. It has the potential to be that niche rpg but right now it's as rare as someone buying two copies of COD black ops. One for playing, one for collecting.

needler420.png

#58 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:31 PM

He's got sealed and mint down. Considering the game has bee a sub $20 dollar game for like 3-4 years now he's a pretty far ways from rare.

As I said in the previous post, the game was becoming rare a couple years ago and they did a reprint. The prices were in the 30-40 range IIRC. Once the reprint hit they stayed around 20. Considering it's been available sealed at newegg for the last couple of years (reprints), it's pretty amazing that it's maintained it's $20 resell value. I'd say there's a good chance it becomes more valuable. It won't be $200 or anything but it could easily hit 30-40 again.

#59 Yamato

Yamato

not motivated

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:33 PM

It was becoming rare a couple of years ago but they did a reprint and prices fell. Now that reprint is sold out.

So you're telling me the 3-piece meal comes with 2 sides?

#60 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:43 PM

It's actually not surprsing at all, 99% of video games depreciate in value not inflate. Don't let the speculators get in your head. That's why they got burned from the reprint and rightfully so.

It would be pretty stupid to speculate on this game going up 10 or 20 dollars. I can't imagine most people are doing that. It's a good game to buy in terms of getting you money back after selling it though.

Many people buy a game then blow through it as fast as possible so they can trade it into Gamestop or sell on eBay for as much as possible. This game is fairly old and has maintained it's value so I think it's safe to say that it's not going to depreciate down to 4 or 5 dollars and I really doubt they do another reprint.