Pachter predicts $70 games for next gen

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 saiyajinsc

saiyajinsc

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:37 AM

According to him at SXSW, he says thats next gen titles will retail for $70 dollars. Although a lot of people think he's a hack and does not have a good track record, he does have inside info that most of us don't have access to.

So what do you guys think? Is it gonna happen? Will you guys still get next gen consoles even if the games are $70.

For me, I have a hard time believing this, especially when console games these days drop in value quickly after launch.

#2 luxuria

luxuria

Memories of You

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:40 AM

Patcher is also full of shit and failed to mention that at SxSW.

Sony already confirmed that there won't be a price increase on games, at least on the PS4. It wouldn't really work, honestly. I can't see people spending $70 for a game that's NOT a CE.

#3 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:44 AM

Patcher is also full of shit and failed to mention that at SxSW.

Sony already confirmed that there won't be a price increase on games, at least on the PS4. It wouldn't really work, honestly. I can't see people spending $70 for a game that's NOT a CE.

Street Fighter II originally cost $74.99

My trade list: http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=42397

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#4 Indignate

Indignate

Hell Yeah, I’m the Motherfucking Princess!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:31 AM

Way to bring up old shit.

I play bad games

If anyone isn't going to use their code I'd love them forever.

I don't like Godzilla.

#5 j-cart

j-cart

PAPER TRAILS on a mountain

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:37 AM

Patcher has a higher paying job that pretty much everyone on this site and there is a reason why.

The dude may be wrong on certain things, but his ability to read analytics is why he is the leading guy for games at Wedbush. Also, games technically have been retailing for higher then $60 for some time. The introduction of "CE" as the norm may certainly back his assumption.

Every prediction that he has here will pretty much be true. XBOX is unstoppable in the US market and that is a fact.

Posted Image

#6 Indignate

Indignate

Hell Yeah, I’m the Motherfucking Princess!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:45 AM

I didn't realize the PC was behind. Everything is getting ported to it, better and faster.

I can't see the price rising cuz it feels like it's actually been lowered. Games are coming out with $10-$20 credits attached to them and are just straight up dropping to ≤$40 after a month out.

I play bad games

If anyone isn't going to use their code I'd love them forever.

I don't like Godzilla.

#7 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:40 PM

I have a hard time believing a "TV Tuner" is a killer app. Maybe a decade ago, but not now. I could see Skype being useful in a console, but not a killer app.

That being said, I've long known that Microsoft has been wanting an "everything box" for the living room for a long time. It wouldn't shock me at all if the next gen console will try to be that. I also wouldn't put it past them to screw it up.
Posted Image

#8 Spokker

Spokker

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:42 PM

You shouldn't be buying $60 games now and you shouldn't be buying $70 games later, except in very rare circumstances. Remember what site you are on.

Edited by Spokker, 11 March 2013 - 06:05 PM.

#9 jkam

jkam

Smash It Up

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:22 PM

$70 for a game ha! $60 for a game ha ha! $50 for a game ha ha ha! $40 for a game ha ha ha ha! $30 for game ha ha ha ha ha! $20 or under for me :)

Honestly though $70 is too much, and I would think publishers would know this by now. I think we will stay at $60 since a PC\XBOX\PS4 development cost will basically be one and the same this go around due to the similar architectures in these systems. TV Tuner and Skype don't interest me. I've actually liked Sony's "it's about the games" approach lately. PS + is a good value if you have a PS3 and VITA and would like to see more of the same follow into the PS4. I like my XBOX too but the dash is starting to feel more like a Sunday flyer than a gaming console. I think developers will also make up the price difference with "shudder" micro-transactions.

jkam2.png

Quitter (My Band)    -    Trade List    -    Join Bing Rewards

#10 panzerfaust

panzerfaust

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:31 PM

isn't the whole culture around CAG centered around not buying games at full price? i buy a game at release MSRP like once a year, if that. not to mention everything will be cheaper on PC, drop faster in price on PC, and run better on PC. it's 2013 ya'll, you don't need a $450 gaming brick in your living room to enjoy the next gen.

#11 Mega Man

Mega Man

SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:57 PM

I don't mind $70 if we don't get a game that is 50% cut and then sold ala DLC

#12 pippin

pippin

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:11 PM

Has this douche ever been right about anything? How are there people who still listen to this guy?

#13 panzerfaust

panzerfaust

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:13 PM

he got popular through GameTrailers which has spawned a lot of awful personalities.

such as:
Posted Image

i don't really mind pachter, though.

#14 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:13 PM

Patcher has a higher paying job that pretty much everyone on this site and there is a reason why.

The dude may be wrong on certain things, but his ability to read analytics is why he is the leading guy for games at Wedbush. Also, games technically have been retailing for higher then $60 for some time. The introduction of "CE" as the norm may certainly back his assumption.

Every prediction that he has here will pretty much be true. XBOX is unstoppable in the US market and that is a fact.

Pretty much. Pachter may not be right 100% of the time but he knows his stuff.

Also you're right, games are more expensive than $60 now anyways. Thanks season passes!

you are a pillar of the video game/gaming community. 

Thanks you are truly a pillar of the community!

#15 j-cart

j-cart

PAPER TRAILS on a mountain

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:30 PM

I know this, if they start releasing games with DLC bundled for $70, enough people will bite.

#16 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:37 PM

Would it really matter? Most games don't ship at retail price anymore regardless and rarely hold value outside of 2-3 weeks. Look at the new Gears of War game that's $40 on Newegg and isn't even out yet. . .

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#17 Calinks

Calinks

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:45 PM

I think they could def get away wit 70 dollar price tags. People are willing to pay for 10 dollar online passes or get a system that blocks used games so adding an extra ten bucks isn't that unbelievable.
Follow me, @Calinks3 Twitter to talk Games, MMA, TV

#18 FellOpenIan

FellOpenIan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:57 PM

So CAGs will pay an even lesser % of the full-price!
sudo mklove

#19 David Hibiki

David Hibiki

Well then...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:09 PM

Games are already over $60.

It's called DLC. Don't give me that BS that stuff wasn't already made before launch either. I'm sure plenty of companies withhold content to release later as DLC. As much as I hated Capcom for the content on the disc DLC, that's probably the reality for a lot of DLC that comes out now - just being withheld to be released later.

#20 Calinks

Calinks

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:25 PM

I don't count DLC as being 70 bucks because very rarely do I feel the need to buy to buy it. It has to be really damn good or on a big sale for me to get it. I don't think it's anything close to mandatory as I am a hardcore gamer and usually don't feel ripped off or like I am missing something crucial if I don't get a certain paid DLC. Hell, I hardly ever even buy map packs. It's nearly a of policy of mine not to lol.
Follow me, @Calinks3 Twitter to talk Games, MMA, TV

#21 Gamer SDP

Gamer SDP

not much of a gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:34 PM

What did PS1 and N64 games retail for? I know PS2/GCN/Xbox were $49.99

#22 Spokker

Spokker

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:19 PM

What did PS1 and N64 games retail for? I know PS2/GCN/Xbox were $49.99

N64 games were $70-$80, but that is hardly relevant today because those games were released on cartridges, which were more expensive to produce. New SNES games were in that same price range. The PS1 games were originally $50 I believe.

#23 WarlordPayne

WarlordPayne

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:53 PM

Posted Image

The Xbox dominating the US market next gen is by no means a fact. The PS2 had a much more commanding lead than the 360 does and yet the PS3 still fell behind.

And as for Microsoft winning the next generation overall, they're currently sitting in third place behind the Wii and Playstation 3, so I don't see why that's such a sure thing in his or your mind, especially considering that the PS3 launched after the 360.

As for tablets eating into handheld sales: he, and everyone else, was saying the same thing before the 3DS launch. The 3DS has sold faster than both the original DS and the GBA, and it's even sold faster than the Wii.

Pachter may be right or he may be wrong, but acting like it's all guaranteed just because some analyst says it is ridiculous.

#24 maxfisher

maxfisher

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:17 AM

Posted Image

Not every prediction on that list is a sure bet, and anyone who even casually follows the gaming press could come up with all of them. Pachter makes good money because investment firms need to have someone to make predictions about specific markets and he lucked into his position with enough competence to keep his job. He basically regurgitates info that most who follow the industry already know to an audience that knows little about the industry. When he goes out on a limb, he tends to look a fool and it's ridiculous that anyone takes him seriously when he makes predictions unsupported by previously confirmed facts, as he has no insider info and isn't a particularly good guesser.

#25 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:50 PM

N64 games were $70-$80, but that is hardly relevant today because those games were released on cartridges, which were more expensive to produce. New SNES games were in that same price range. The PS1 games were originally $50 I believe.

Games also cost a lot more to develop today. You are paying an extra $10 for Xbox 360 games due to development cost, the cost of printing a dvd is dirt cheap.

My trade list: http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=42397

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#26 Spokker

Spokker

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:57 PM

Games also cost a lot more to develop today. You are paying an extra $10 for Xbox 360 games due to development cost, the cost of printing a dvd is dirt cheap.

True, but then again how much of that is the marketing budget, including the viral marketing monkeys some companies are alleged to hire?

#27 Leaptrade

Leaptrade

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:04 PM

Wouldn't be too hard to believe a higher than $60 price to differentiate between current gen and next gen games at least in the short run. Although, something about $70 just seems a lot more expensive than $60.

Having said that, I'm not sure any console maker wants to be the first to raise prices.

#28 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

Snipers and dirty tricks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:30 PM

He basically regurgitates info that most who follow the industry already know to an audience that knows little about the industry. When he goes out on a limb, he tends to look a fool and it's ridiculous that anyone takes him seriously when he makes predictions unsupported by previously confirmed facts, as he has no insider info and isn't a particularly good guesser.

Do a better job than him then, and I'm sure companies will be lining up to pay you instead. It sounds like it'll be no problem for you.

card.png Ryuukishi634.jpg f7b9bd594fe9ca11e2a28b479ca21d4c_96ab1df

#29 KillerRamen

KillerRamen

OMG Lilac PSP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:40 PM

I don't buy games at $60, I certainly wouldn't pay $70. If anything, this would probably lead to games going to $20 faster.
Posted Image

#30 CaptainJoel

CaptainJoel

Church of Falcon

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:53 PM

If they did jump to $70 I wouldn't be buying any day one unless they had large deals. I've had a really hard time paying $60 for some of the games I've bought day one.