Pachter predicts $70 games for next gen

saiyajinsc

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
According to him at SXSW, he says thats next gen titles will retail for $70 dollars. Although a lot of people think he's a hack and does not have a good track record, he does have inside info that most of us don't have access to.

So what do you guys think? Is it gonna happen? Will you guys still get next gen consoles even if the games are $70.

For me, I have a hard time believing this, especially when console games these days drop in value quickly after launch.

Patcher is also full of shit and failed to mention that at SxSW.

Sony already confirmed that there won't be a price increase on games, at least on the PS4. It wouldn't really work, honestly. I can't see people spending $70 for a game that's NOT a CE.

[quote name='Luxuria']Patcher is also full of shit and failed to mention that at SxSW.

Sony already confirmed that there won't be a price increase on games, at least on the PS4. It wouldn't really work, honestly. I can't see people spending $70 for a game that's NOT a CE.[/QUOTE]

Street Fighter II originally cost $74.99

Patcher has a higher paying job that pretty much everyone on this site and there is a reason why.

The dude may be wrong on certain things, but his ability to read analytics is why he is the leading guy for games at Wedbush. Also, games technically have been retailing for higher then $60 for some time. The introduction of "CE" as the norm may certainly back his assumption.

Every prediction that he has here will pretty much be true. XBOX is unstoppable in the US market and that is a fact.

0gQps.jpg

I didn't realize the PC was behind. Everything is getting ported to it, better and faster.

I can't see the price rising cuz it feels like it's actually been lowered. Games are coming out with $10-$20 credits attached to them and are just straight up dropping to ≤$40 after a month out.

I have a hard time believing a "TV Tuner" is a killer app. Maybe a decade ago, but not now. I could see Skype being useful in a console, but not a killer app.

That being said, I've long known that Microsoft has been wanting an "everything box" for the living room for a long time. It wouldn't shock me at all if the next gen console will try to be that. I also wouldn't put it past them to screw it up.

You shouldn't be buying $60 games now and you shouldn't be buying $70 games later, except in very rare circumstances. Remember what site you are on.

Last edited by a moderator:
$70 for a game ha! $60 for a game ha ha! $50 for a game ha ha ha! $40 for a game ha ha ha ha! $30 for game ha ha ha ha ha! $20 or under for me :)

Honestly though $70 is too much, and I would think publishers would know this by now. I think we will stay at $60 since a PC\XBOX\PS4 development cost will basically be one and the same this go around due to the similar architectures in these systems. TV Tuner and Skype don't interest me. I've actually liked Sony's "it's about the games" approach lately. PS + is a good value if you have a PS3 and VITA and would like to see more of the same follow into the PS4. I like my XBOX too but the dash is starting to feel more like a Sunday flyer than a gaming console. I think developers will also make up the price difference with "shudder" micro-transactions.

isn't the whole culture around CAG centered around not buying games at full price? i buy a game at release MSRP like once a year, if that. not to mention everything will be cheaper on PC, drop faster in price on PC, and run better on PC. it's 2013 ya'll, you don't need a $450 gaming brick in your living room to enjoy the next gen.

Has this douche ever been right about anything? How are there people who still listen to this guy?

[quote name='j-cart']Patcher has a higher paying job that pretty much everyone on this site and there is a reason why.

The dude may be wrong on certain things, but his ability to read analytics is why he is the leading guy for games at Wedbush. Also, games technically have been retailing for higher then $60 for some time. The introduction of "CE" as the norm may certainly back his assumption.

Every prediction that he has here will pretty much be true. XBOX is unstoppable in the US market and that is a fact.
[/QUOTE]

Pretty much. Pachter may not be right 100% of the time but he knows his stuff.

Also you're right, games are more expensive than $60 now anyways. Thanks season passes!

Would it really matter? Most games don't ship at retail price anymore regardless and rarely hold value outside of 2-3 weeks. Look at the new Gears of War game that's $40 on Newegg and isn't even out yet. . .

I think they could def get away wit 70 dollar price tags. People are willing to pay for 10 dollar online passes or get a system that blocks used games so adding an extra ten bucks isn't that unbelievable.

Games are already over $60.

It's called DLC. Don't give me that BS that stuff wasn't already made before launch either. I'm sure plenty of companies withhold content to release later as DLC. As much as I hated Capcom for the content on the disc DLC, that's probably the reality for a lot of DLC that comes out now - just being withheld to be released later.

I don't count DLC as being 70 bucks because very rarely do I feel the need to buy to buy it. It has to be really damn good or on a big sale for me to get it. I don't think it's anything close to mandatory as I am a hardcore gamer and usually don't feel ripped off or like I am missing something crucial if I don't get a certain paid DLC. Hell, I hardly ever even buy map packs. It's nearly a of policy of mine not to lol.

[quote name='Gamer SDP']What did PS1 and N64 games retail for? I know PS2/GCN/Xbox were $49.99[/QUOTE]

N64 games were $70-$80, but that is hardly relevant today because those games were released on cartridges, which were more expensive to produce. New SNES games were in that same price range. The PS1 games were originally $50 I believe.

[quote name='j-cart']Patcher has a higher paying job that pretty much everyone on this site and there is a reason why.

0gQps.jpg
[/QUOTE]

The Xbox dominating the US market next gen is by no means a fact. The PS2 had a much more commanding lead than the 360 does and yet the PS3 still fell behind.

And as for Microsoft winning the next generation overall, they're currently sitting in third place behind the Wii and Playstation 3, so I don't see why that's such a sure thing in his or your mind, especially considering that the PS3 launched after the 360.

As for tablets eating into handheld sales: he, and everyone else, was saying the same thing before the 3DS launch. The 3DS has sold faster than both the original DS and the GBA, and it's even sold faster than the Wii.

Pachter may be right or he may be wrong, but acting like it's all guaranteed just because some analyst says it is ridiculous.

0gQps.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Not every prediction on that list is a sure bet, and anyone who even casually follows the gaming press could come up with all of them. Pachter makes good money because investment firms need to have someone to make predictions about specific markets and he lucked into his position with enough competence to keep his job. He basically regurgitates info that most who follow the industry already know to an audience that knows little about the industry. When he goes out on a limb, he tends to look a fool and it's ridiculous that anyone takes him seriously when he makes predictions unsupported by previously confirmed facts, as he has no insider info and isn't a particularly good guesser.

[quote name='Spokker']N64 games were $70-$80, but that is hardly relevant today because those games were released on cartridges, which were more expensive to produce. New SNES games were in that same price range. The PS1 games were originally $50 I believe.[/QUOTE]

Games also cost a lot more to develop today. You are paying an extra $10 for Xbox 360 games due to development cost, the cost of printing a dvd is dirt cheap.

[quote name='62t']Games also cost a lot more to develop today. You are paying an extra $10 for Xbox 360 games due to development cost, the cost of printing a dvd is dirt cheap.[/QUOTE]

True, but then again how much of that is the marketing budget, including the viral marketing monkeys some companies are alleged to hire?

Wouldn't be too hard to believe a higher than $60 price to differentiate between current gen and next gen games at least in the short run. Although, something about $70 just seems a lot more expensive than $60.

Having said that, I'm not sure any console maker wants to be the first to raise prices.

[quote name='maxfisher']He basically regurgitates info that most who follow the industry already know to an audience that knows little about the industry. When he goes out on a limb, he tends to look a fool and it's ridiculous that anyone takes him seriously when he makes predictions unsupported by previously confirmed facts, as he has no insider info and isn't a particularly good guesser.[/QUOTE]
Do a better job than him then, and I'm sure companies will be lining up to pay you instead. It sounds like it'll be no problem for you.

If they did jump to $70 I wouldn't be buying any day one unless they had large deals. I've had a really hard time paying $60 for some of the games I've bought day one.

Note: This is CAG, we are cheap asses. Everyone here already has a tough time buying games at full price. That doesn't mean others do not have the same issues as we do.

Point of Information: Also SimCity'13 Digital Deluxe Edition sold for $79.99

[quote name='62t']Games also cost a lot more to develop today. .[/QUOTE]
That's what killed darksiders II from making a profit.

Doesn't make a difference to me because I hardly buy any games on release. I usually wait two or three months and pick up the game for $20. So they can set the retail price to whatever they want, but I'm not paying over $30 for any game.

[quote name='WarlordPayne']And as for Microsoft winning the next generation overall, they're currently sitting in third place behind the Wii and Playstation 3[/QUOTE]

Not in the US, which the comment you were responding to was addressing. And The Wii hasn't been a factor for quite a while now so it's a bit flimsy to portray them as having "won" anything. They were incredibly hot for a few years and then fizzled almost immediately after. Sony and especially Microsoft have had much longer tails on their hardware.

Not that Sony couldn't rebound this time, but it's going to take a lot of good faith maneuvers to win over the more dedicated gamers (which they have already started with things like PSN+ stepping their game up and a mostly well-received PS4 reveal, fortunately for them), and it's going to take a lot of clever marketing to win back the regular, "casual" gamer who has grown very accustomed to their gamertag and all their friends being on XBox.

Right now it's the PS4's to lose, but "right now" doesn't really mean shit when Microsoft hasn't shown anything yet.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Do a better job than him then, and I'm sure companies will be lining up to pay you instead. It sounds like it'll be no problem for you.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps I came off a little too venomous because of my fatigue at seeing many in the gaming press report his predictions as if they're likely facts. He does a good-to-great job at noticing emerging trends and communicating them to an audience unfamiliar with the market. But he also quite regularly goes beyond that to offer what amount to educated guesses, usually which turn out to be dead wrong. I'm not claiming anyone could do better, outside of refraining from such guesses or being frequently correct through random chance. It's just irritating that the industry press doesn't know better than to differentiate his summarizations from his 'predictions' and take the latter with a huge grain of salt. Or rather, that in pursuit of sensationalistic headlines, they pretend his predictions have weight that I doubt even he would claim.

Also, your smartass comment presupposes merit trumps all in pursuing success. I'd prepare yourself for a life of constant disappointment if you actually believe that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Max I think you nailed Pachter in your initial comment, especially in the idea that he appeals to those that don't know jack shit about our market.
As long as there are stupid, empty suits(not Pachter but the other people) who try to jam our market into the same market as movies or other products then these predictions will always be full of fail or mild win.
As for his slide, isn't a consolidation almost like a company closed? It sure the fuck seems that way for Enix. Since when do we see any of Enix's old shit or anything new from them? It's just Dragon Quest and Star Ocean. fuck that...since when was Square allowed to be the butch in the relationship?! Last I remember it was ENIX that bailed them out.
Seriously, with a merger sometimes a company might as well have gone out of business, one only knows the only beneficiaries usually are shareholders. Trust me, employees and the consumers usually don't benefit tremendously or at all from a merger.
For the price of new games being $70, that shit won't fly. If they start charging $70 it will be the straw that broke the camels back for game pricing. You can argue about the previous generation and pricing but most cartridge games didn't even cost that much and those that did were few. Consider how many games we have on the shelves now on average. For that $70 game in the past you now have 2 or 3 in its place, at the very least. Consider how few Japanese games we saw get release here and I'm referring to good ones held back.
The best way to handle gaming is to get serious about selling them. I think games should release at $40 honestly. Before someone calls me crazy you handle it like this. Release your game on sale at $40 for the debut week and print massive copies, like movie level and place them on end cabs with huge posters and such. Make sure Target and others really put up the sale tags too. After this promo week the games go up to $50.
I know you people will talk about how expensive these games are to make. Well doesn't the average movie cost a comparative amount? Why not print as many copies of those games as a movie and really push sales? If games don't cost quite as much, print a slightly smaller amount but still really push them. You see, herein lies our problem with game prices.

[quote name='Sarang01']I know you people will talk about how expensive these games are to make. Well doesn't the average movie cost a comparative amount? Why not print as many copies of those games as a movie and really push sales? If games don't cost quite as much, print a slightly smaller amount but still really push them. You see, herein lies our problem with game prices.[/QUOTE]

Movies also have two opportunities to make their money back...in the theatres, and in DVD/Blu ray sales. Even then, if the movie doesn't make a profit in ticket sales, it's seen as a bomb. For games to truly profit as movies profit, it'd be more like "hey, for the first five months, if you want to play this game, you're gonna have to pay us $40, and once you beat it, you can't play it anymore. After five months, you can buy it for $60 and play as much as you want."

I'm fine with letting them use microtransactions to help boost profit, provided they never feel necessary. If someone wants to pay to skip part of the game, let them. I can simply ignore them, and play the game.

I've heard that argument Salamando but the companies don't even try to press that many copies in advance and really try pushing them. Like I said, endcaps and advertised by said company like a motherfucker.
I'll grant you it would be a gamble but if someone from that company explained why it's that much I think sales might be quite good.

bread's done
Back