Pachter predicts $70 games for next gen

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#31 j-cart

j-cart

PAPER TRAILS on a mountain

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:28 PM

Note: This is CAG, we are cheap asses. Everyone here already has a tough time buying games at full price. That doesn't mean others do not have the same issues as we do.

Point of Information: Also SimCity'13 Digital Deluxe Edition sold for $79.99

#32 Mega Man

Mega Man

SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:30 PM

Games also cost a lot more to develop today. .

That's what killed darksiders II from making a profit.

#33 wwe101

wwe101

waiting for hitman 5

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:34 PM

Doesn't make a difference to me because I hardly buy any games on release. I usually wait two or three months and pick up the game for $20. So they can set the retail price to whatever they want, but I'm not paying over $30 for any game.
Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.
Mark Twain

http://t2.gstatic.co...8ymsP7Xj6V0L8o=

#34 KaneRobot

KaneRobot

The Profit$ of Doom

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:26 PM

And as for Microsoft winning the next generation overall, they're currently sitting in third place behind the Wii and Playstation 3

Not in the US, which the comment you were responding to was addressing. And The Wii hasn't been a factor for quite a while now so it's a bit flimsy to portray them as having "won" anything. They were incredibly hot for a few years and then fizzled almost immediately after. Sony and especially Microsoft have had much longer tails on their hardware.

Not that Sony couldn't rebound this time, but it's going to take a lot of good faith maneuvers to win over the more dedicated gamers (which they have already started with things like PSN+ stepping their game up and a mostly well-received PS4 reveal, fortunately for them), and it's going to take a lot of clever marketing to win back the regular, "casual" gamer who has grown very accustomed to their gamertag and all their friends being on XBox.

Right now it's the PS4's to lose, but "right now" doesn't really mean shit when Microsoft hasn't shown anything yet.
Posted Image

#35 maxfisher

maxfisher

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:49 PM

Do a better job than him then, and I'm sure companies will be lining up to pay you instead. It sounds like it'll be no problem for you.

Perhaps I came off a little too venomous because of my fatigue at seeing many in the gaming press report his predictions as if they're likely facts. He does a good-to-great job at noticing emerging trends and communicating them to an audience unfamiliar with the market. But he also quite regularly goes beyond that to offer what amount to educated guesses, usually which turn out to be dead wrong. I'm not claiming anyone could do better, outside of refraining from such guesses or being frequently correct through random chance. It's just irritating that the industry press doesn't know better than to differentiate his summarizations from his 'predictions' and take the latter with a huge grain of salt. Or rather, that in pursuit of sensationalistic headlines, they pretend his predictions have weight that I doubt even he would claim.

Also, your smartass comment presupposes merit trumps all in pursuing success. I'd prepare yourself for a life of constant disappointment if you actually believe that.

Edited by maxfisher, 18 March 2013 - 04:54 PM.

#36 MrNinjaSquirrel

MrNinjaSquirrel

Emo Blogger

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:58 PM

Well I almost never by games new at retail anyway, so an extra $10 once a year isn't the end of the world to me

76561198022997080.pngA_Different_Nate.png

#37 Sarang01

Sarang01

My Use Name Is Saber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:09 AM

Max I think you nailed Pachter in your initial comment, especially in the idea that he appeals to those that don't know jack shit about our market.
As long as there are stupid, empty suits(not Pachter but the other people) who try to jam our market into the same market as movies or other products then these predictions will always be full of fail or mild win.
As for his slide, isn't a consolidation almost like a company closed? It sure the Fuck seems that way for Enix. Since when do we see any of Enix's old shit or anything new from them? It's just Dragon Quest and Star Ocean. Fuck that...since when was Square allowed to be the butch in the relationship?! Last I remember it was ENIX that bailed them out.
Seriously, with a merger sometimes a company might as well have gone out of business, one only knows the only beneficiaries usually are shareholders. Trust me, employees and the consumers usually don't benefit tremendously or at all from a merger.
For the price of new games being $70, that shit won't fly. If they start charging $70 it will be the straw that broke the camels back for game pricing. You can argue about the previous generation and pricing but most cartridge games didn't even cost that much and those that did were few. Consider how many games we have on the shelves now on average. For that $70 game in the past you now have 2 or 3 in its place, at the very least. Consider how few Japanese games we saw get release here and I'm referring to good ones held back.
The best way to handle gaming is to get serious about selling them. I think games should release at $40 honestly. Before someone calls me crazy you handle it like this. Release your game on sale at $40 for the debut week and print massive copies, like movie level and place them on end cabs with huge posters and such. Make sure Target and others really put up the sale tags too. After this promo week the games go up to $50.
I know you people will talk about how expensive these games are to make. Well doesn't the average movie cost a comparative amount? Why not print as many copies of those games as a movie and really push sales? If games don't cost quite as much, print a slightly smaller amount but still really push them. You see, herein lies our problem with game prices.
Posted Image

"Friends let friends eat each other out.".

#38 Salamando3000

Salamando3000

For Good or for Awesome

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:35 AM

I know you people will talk about how expensive these games are to make. Well doesn't the average movie cost a comparative amount? Why not print as many copies of those games as a movie and really push sales? If games don't cost quite as much, print a slightly smaller amount but still really push them. You see, herein lies our problem with game prices.

Movies also have two opportunities to make their money back...in the theatres, and in DVD/Blu ray sales. Even then, if the movie doesn't make a profit in ticket sales, it's seen as a bomb. For games to truly profit as movies profit, it'd be more like "hey, for the first five months, if you want to play this game, you're gonna have to pay us $40, and once you beat it, you can't play it anymore. After five months, you can buy it for $60 and play as much as you want."

I'm fine with letting them use microtransactions to help boost profit, provided they never feel necessary. If someone wants to pay to skip part of the game, let them. I can simply ignore them, and play the game.

#39 Sarang01

Sarang01

My Use Name Is Saber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:44 AM

I've heard that argument Salamando but the companies don't even try to press that many copies in advance and really try pushing them. Like I said, endcaps and advertised by said company like a motherfucker.
I'll grant you it would be a gamble but if someone from that company explained why it's that much I think sales might be quite good.
Posted Image

"Friends let friends eat each other out.".