The Super Nintendo OT: Gray and Purple Perfection

BlueSwim

CAGiversary!
Welcome to CAG's first Super Nintendo Official Thread!

What's the purpose of the thread? Simple. It's for talking about all things Super Nintendo and Super Famicom-related. SNES games you've been playing, games bought recently, recommendation requests, collection talk, top 10's, etc. THIS DOES NOT INCLUDE "SYSTEM WARS" BICKERING! Let's keep things pleasant. :cool:

Like with all CAG OT's, if and when this hits 500 views, anyone can go ahead and make OT2.

---

Guess I'll go ahead and get the ball rolling with...

picture.php

I finally found Super Metroid in cartridge form last week at a second-hand store. Been trying to find this without resorting to eBay for years. $25 after store credit and the label is in phenomenal condition. The battery back-up seems to be in working order, as well, since this I what I saw on the save select screen.

picture.php

:shock: Whoever had this thing before me must have had some SERIOUS skills. Part of me hated to delete any of them.

That is awesome! I probably would have kept one of the old save files as a tribute.
What is the going value for a Super Metroid? I have been wanting to beef up my SNES catalog lately. I was thinking paying in the $30 to $40 range is reasonable.

[quote name='icyjones']That is awesome! I probably would have kept one of the old save files as a tribute.
What is the going value for a Super Metroid? I have been wanting to beef up my SNES catalog lately. I was thinking paying in the $30 to $40 range is reasonable.[/QUOTE]If you're okay with a Nintendo Player's Choice label, you should be able to nab it on eBay in that range. Original label versions seem to go for about $45-$60, give-or-take.

Another option would be the Japanese Super Famicom version, since U.S. systems can play SFC games if you remove the two plastic tabs along the back of the cartridge slot. I believe I saw one go for about $26 on eBay.

Dang, that takes me back. I still have most of my favorite SNES games but they're in storage at my parents house. I usually just turn to emulation since I already own them anyway to avoid having 10 systems hooked up in my tiny apartment but there's nothing like holding the cartridge and a real SNES controller.

I remember mastering wall jumping in Super Metroid and my friends just staring in disbelief. I lost count of how many times I've beaten that game!

[quote name='johnnypark']Dang, that takes me back. I still have most of my favorite SNES games but they're in storage at my parents house. I usually just turn to emulation since I already own them anyway to avoid having 10 systems hooked up in my tiny apartment but there's nothing like holding the cartridge and a real SNES controller.

I remember mastering wall jumping in Super Metroid and my friends just staring in disbelief. I lost count of how many times I've beaten that game![/QUOTE]Amen!

The Virtual Console versions just don't satisfy me. I need to have the game cartridge in the palm of my hand to feel like I truly own the game.

^^^ Yes, this!

I just nabbed a bunch of SNES titles the other day. No idea when I'm gonna find time to actually enjoy them, but I will eventually :)

4BD64583-D1E0-4ACF-BCD0-F3C3DDC8072C-1753-0000010B3FC4ECCA_zps16213a9a.jpg

Having a physical copy in my hands is how I feel about reading material. I don't want to read Wired on a tablet and have the subscriptions shove that down my throat. I want it on paper, since the site is where I get current news anyway.
For some video games, like Super Mario World or NBA Jam, you gotta have the physical copy. Crap games? Not so much.

[quote name='wiggyx']^^^ Yes, this!

I just nabbed a bunch of SNES titles the other day. No idea when I'm gonna find time to actually enjoy them, but I will eventually :)

4BD64583-D1E0-4ACF-BCD0-F3C3DDC8072C-1753-0000010B3FC4ECCA_zps16213a9a.jpg
[/QUOTE]Do I spy Bubsy?

I hope those price stickers came/come off easily. Why would anyone put those on the cartridge label? :wall:

[quote name='BlueSwim']Do I spy Bubsy?

I hope those price stickers came/come off easily. Why would anyone put those on the cartridge label? :wall:[/QUOTE]

They should come off fairly easy I think. I've always had lots of luck with Goo-Gone, so I'm sure he'll be fine.

Goo-Gone is a collectors best friend.

I've been slowly getting rid of my SNES collection. I only have a handfull of games left. Secret of Mana is probably the one cart I will never part with. It's got my perfect game with all the skills & weapons maxed out for everyone with the best armor. Ahhhh I miss the days when I had time to do stuff like that.

[quote name='detectiveconan16']Having a physical copy in my hands is how I feel about reading material. I don't want to read Wired on a tablet and have the subscriptions shove that down my throat. I want it on paper, since the site is where I get current news anyway.
For some video games, like Super Mario World or NBA Jam, you gotta have the physical copy. Crap games? Not so much.[/QUOTE]

This.

[quote name='BlueSwim']Do I spy Bubsy?

I hope those price stickers came/come off easily. Why would anyone put those on the cartridge label? :wall:[/QUOTE]

They're a total pain in the ass. I can't stand that this particular chain prices em this way. The worst part? They DON'T price them like that if the game is 15 bucks or more. Then they carefully put it in a baggy and put the price on that :mad:

[quote name='KillerRamen']They should come off fairly easy I think. I've always had lots of luck with Goo-Gone, so I'm sure he'll be fine.[/QUOTE]

I NEVER use goo gone on paper labels. It soaks in a stains. I use a prodcut called Bestine. Works WONDERS! There's actually a little write up on my blog about it ;)

nice! are those record exchange stickers? that place is awesome for the random find. more recently north and south for the nes for 1$ oops

the one in Coventry is my favorite!

Yup!

I've been a big fan of Solon and Willoughby lately. Also, went to the Cuyahoga Falls store for the first time in like a decade and scored a HUGE stash of decent $5 SNES games :D

You go to the CCAG? I'm gonna have a table this year. I'm excited!

Been going through the Dnkey Kong Country games lately. I think they really hold up. A few really frustrating levels every once in a while, but overall a pretty satisfying challenge.

Picked these two up yesterday. $10 for the pair. Never played either one before, so I figured what the hell.

picture.php

[quote name='HumanSnatcher']You guys would wet yourself if you had a local store here by you, called Video Game Heaven.

https://www.facebook.com/VideoGameHeaven?fref=ts

This is just one picture of a single massive trade a lil over a week ago

[/QUOTE]

Oh shit, that's in Chesapeake/VA Beach, right? I've definitely been there a few times. They have a pretty decent selection, although I've never found anything there that I was looking for.

Also selling a good many SNES titles, but the ones I had when the system was current will not go away. Just recently I sold Sunset Riders complete in box. Did not know it was worth as much as it is. Same thing with Tecmo Super Bowl II. Apparently, it was only available in limited quantities back in the 90s.

[quote name='karkyco']I really need to get the man cave rec room set up :cry:. Too much boxed up stuff waiting to be enjoyed again...

006.jpg
[/QUOTE]

wow very jealous of that collection

W0GFZ0q.jpg

Finally added an S-video port to my SNES. I paid the hardware store $2 for the hole, though I really should get a drill soon but they cost at least $25!

[quote name='detectiveconan16']Finally added an S-video port to my SNES. I paid the hardware store $2 for the hole, though I really should get a drill soon but they cost at least $25![/QUOTE]

It's just a matter of how much use you will get out of it. If you need to be drilling holes regularly, $25 is no big deal. If you only drill holes very occasionally than perhaps its not worth the expense.

With a recent project that I've been working on, my drill has been earning its keep! I don't regret the original expense for it at all.

Also, call me crazy, but wasn't the SNES capable of S-Video output via the normal display port? I know you can purchase standard SNES cables with S-Video male ports.

Um, the SNES outputs S-Vid natively. Even the mini can be easily modded to do so without adding a port to the back.

Just pick up the proper cable.

Nah, it's Mad Catz, and the ratings for those cables are suspect. Do you know the size of the pins for the Nintendo AV connector, or at least how it's constructed. I might insert some contact pins and solder in an S-video cable. shrug, or hold out for an scart.

Says the guy who just bought 2 sets of generic cables that don't even work.

Just get the Mad Crapz. You're not gonna have any noticeable gain by splicing into an OEM composite cable :/

edit: hit-Japan on eBay has an OEM SNES S-vid cable for grabs. It's like 40 shipped.

Yeah, there is a notable difference between composite and S-Video. Everything looks clearer, but the boost isn't that big. But it's probably my television.

I cut one of those cheapo cables open and found that they were indeed poorly wired. I cut off the S-Video and Composite, stripped them and rewired the connections. Now I do have a decent S-Video cable.

With a Sony CXA2075 encoder chip that converts the onboard SNES RGB video signals, you can get an even bigger boost in the quality of the S-Video. But adding such a part to the SNES is rather risky and needs somebody with half the skills of wiggyx to do.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8TcINkc7eE

Anyone ever heard of a Super Famicom Box? http://www.snescentral.com/article.php?id=0099
It was designed mainly for hotels and used cartridges about three times as large as a regular SNES cart, and holds at least five games.

Does anyone know a good AC adapter replacement? All of the ones on Amazon seem to be the wrong voltage since they are 3 in 1 (works with NES, SNES, and Genesis.) The power cable is just going bad and only works after messing it and bending it under the system and it takes a few minutes to get it right.
Mine needs 10V output, all of the ones I've found are 9V.

[quote name='wiggyx']I'd buy an official one. Why dick around with an aftermarket one? There are plenty on eBay.[/QUOTE]

Yeah that's what I'm going to end up doing. It will be worth the extra $15 or so.

bread's done
Back