The 2013-14 NFL Thread

• Please log in to reply
2443 replies to this topic

#31 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:57 PM

6'4" and 235 would be pretty much my build if I were to grow 4" and I'm pretty sure I'd snap in half if I got hit by an NFL linebacker. His size may be less of a concern than RG3 but he is going to get popped eventually because of how much running he does with the ball.

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#32 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:00 PM

Average linebacker size is 6'2" 245 pounds. Obviously distributed differently than a QB but not a ton bigger than Kap.
Spoiler

And literally the prototypical LB and Kap. The size differential isn't that crazy. That is Erik Walden, and he is just about on target for NFL average. 6'2" 250 pounds.

There are no shortcuts. No do-overs. What happened, happened. Trust me. I know. All of this matters.

Madden 13 SB Champ in the CAG gentleman's league.

#33 DestroVega

DestroVega

Life is short... stunt it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:00 PM

Yeah, Luck is the prototypical NFL style pocket passer. Barring injury he will just get better and have a great career.

I think Kaepernick and RGIII will continue to do well also, as long as they stay healthy. With running more than Luck does (though Luck is pretty mobile for a pocket passer) they have more chances of getting hurt.

I don't think the read option will get figured out like the wildcat did. I'd compare it more to the west coast offenses that emerged in the 90s. I think it will stick around as it's a whole scheme and not just a gimmick like the wildcat.

It's almost impossible to "figure out" the read option as that's exactly what it is. You read the situation and coverage and choose the option that's open.

You can use a QB spy in coverage, but Kaep looks like such a good passer he would then just tear up the open coverage.

It doesn't work as well with a QB like Tebow, because he can't throw.

I wanted the 49ers to draft Kaepernick, my only question was could he throw in the NFL. Having watched all his snaps, I'd say he has more than answered that question.

The 49ers offense this year is going to be so much more dynamic. The only team I fear going into next year is Seattle, as they are basically a carbon-copy that seems way more physical, on both sides of the ball.

#34 HydroX

HydroX

Quintessential Studmuffin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:01 PM

Rumor Round-Up:

ESPN's Insider claiming that the Packers are looking to sign RB Steven Jackson, but aren't willing to pay the man. haha. Jackson could end up in Atlanta if GB doesn't sign him.

Shonn Greene is being linked to Tennessee right now. Depending on where Jackson signs, Greene could be on the Titans or Packers this season.

I also read that Atlanta had some interest in Ahmad Bradshaw. Not sure how much weight that has though.

#35 4thHorseman

4thHorseman

The New God

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:02 PM

6'4" and 235 would be pretty much my build if I were to grow 4" and I'm pretty sure I'd snap in half if I got hit by an NFL linebacker. His size may be less of a concern than RG3 but he is going to get popped eventually because of how much running he does with the ball.

Agreed. Size matters, but not nearly as much as people think, especially if he runs more often. Rothlisberger is about the same size (slightly bigger actually), but we know he can't keep from getting injured, even if it's something small like hand or foot.

#36 DestroVega

DestroVega

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:22 PM

Rumor Round-Up:

ESPN's Insider claiming that the Packers are looking to sign RB Steven Jackson, but aren't willing to pay the man. haha. Jackson could end up in Atlanta if GB doesn't sign him.

Shonn Greene is being linked to Tennessee right now. Depending on where Jackson signs, Greene could be on the Titans or Packers this season.

I also read that Atlanta had some interest in Ahmad Bradshaw. Not sure how much weight that has though.

Steve Jackson seems an odd fit for Atlanta because Jacquizz Rodgers reminds me of Jackson.

#37 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:29 PM

If Jackson goes to the packers it won't be for a day or two, they never shell out any cash. I guess that is fine by me, most teams that pay out the nose for the big free agents usually don't get very far. However, out of all the years to pay for talent I feel like this should be the year.

There are no shortcuts. No do-overs. What happened, happened. Trust me. I know. All of this matters.

#38 RedvsBlue

RedvsBlue

Rocket Science Level

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:38 PM

So now that it looks like the Vikings are out of the hunt for Mike Wallace and Greg Jennings, I'm getting a little agitated with the Vikings. I still think they did the right thing in trading away Harvin, but they need to pony up the money for a change and quit thinking they're gonna hit the lottery in the draft again with another Adrian Peterson type pickup.

#39 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:46 PM

Last I read it was Jennings going to either the Packers or the Vikings. If so I hope they deal Finley to someone, or move a different receiver for picks or defensive upgrades.

#40 HydroX

HydroX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:21 PM

If Jerome Simpson would pull his head out of his rear end he could be a suitable WR1 for the time being. But the passing attack in Minnesota will be a joke until they get someone that can actually throw (and catch) the ball. As much as I love my Noles, Ponder is not the answer there...

#41 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:36 PM

http://www.dawgsbyna...-desmond-bryant

Browns signed DT Desmond Bryant from Oakland, whom I had never heard of before yesterday. Seems to be a nice move to add depth to the defensive line, though their projected starting spots are a bit suspect to me since I don't see them putting Sheard at OLB and using DTs for all three DL spots.

http://www.dawgsbyna...gent-lb-quentin

The Browns signed LB Quentin Groves from Arizona to a cheap two year, $2.8 million contract, who will probably play a key backup role for OLB spots. From the moves they've made so far, I'd have to imagine that they're going to take a pass-rushing OLB with their first pick. Kruger can take one side and the rookie will take the other while Quentin Groves is a backup. From what I've read, the LBs they had last year are all better fits for ILB spots with D'Qwell Jackson and maybe Chris Gocong now that he'll be back from his injury last season.

http://www.dawgsbyna...e-gary-barnidge

Rumors are suggesting that the Browns are going to sign Carolina TE Gary Barnidge for a blocking TE role to succeed Alex Smith after his departure. I'm not surprised that Rob and his OC/DC coaches will be looking at their former players that would be a good fit for the team.

You read it. You can't unread it.

Horror Chicken: F.E.A.R. and Resident Evil 4

PSN/XBL: CrashSpyro | Steam: CrashTanuki | Wii U: FriendlyTanuki

#42 DestroVega

DestroVega

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:42 PM

Last I read it was Jennings going to either the Packers or the Vikings. If so I hope they deal Finley to someone, or move a different receiver for picks or defensive upgrades.

Vikings are saying Jennings is asking for too much money.

#43 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:43 PM

Oh he is that is for sure lol. Green bay news reported that the packers offered him $10 million and he held out for more (hence free agency).

#44 CaseyRyback

CaseyRyback

Your New Nightmare!

• Super Moderators

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:03 PM

Laurent Robinson got cut by the Jags. I wouldn't mind seeing him return to the Cowboys. Robinson and Romo had incredible chemistry when he was here, and he did a good job filling in for Austin when he was hurt.

Posted Image

#45 DestroVega

DestroVega

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:14 PM

Oh he is that is for sure lol. Green bay news reported that the packers offered him $10 million and he held out for more (hence free agency).

Shocked they offered him that much.

#46 PimpLimp

PimpLimp

Pimpin Aint Easy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:16 PM

Laurent Robinson got cut by the Jags. I wouldn't mind seeing him return to the Cowboys. Robinson and Romo had incredible chemistry when he was here, and he did a good job filling in for Austin when he was hurt.

It's why he got cut that has me curious. The Jags said he passed his physical, yet Robinson himself said he disagreed with the team's assessment that he was healthy and that he didn't feel 100% during workouts yesterday.

#47 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:20 PM

They most likely cut him because he is too scared to play at this time and they don't have time for that.

#48 RedvsBlue

RedvsBlue

Rocket Science Level

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:39 PM

If Jerome Simpson would pull his head out of his rear end he could be a suitable WR1 for the time being. But the passing attack in Minnesota will be a joke until they get someone that can actually throw (and catch) the ball. As much as I love my Noles, Ponder is not the answer there...

Which brings us right back to my original point, which is that they keep trying to make it look like they're finding the diamond in the rough of the draft every year. They're trying to make Ponder seem elite and he's doing a good job of showing he isn't. I won't be surprised at all if they sit back and do nothing at this point just waiting for the draft to pick up a wide receiver rather than sign a proven winner. They keep doing the same thing over and over at almost every position, don't bother signing a proven star we'll just make one up in the draft. Nowhere has this been more apparent than in the QB position (Favre aside).

Ask yourself, aside from Favre, when's the last time the Vikings signed/traded for an already proven star? (and before someone says Randy Moss from 2 years ago, he was not a proven star 2 years ago, he was a washed out star)

#49 DestroVega

DestroVega

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:39 PM

Reggie Reggie Bush y'all to the Lions. Effectively ending Javid Best in Detroit if he can ever play again anyway.

Ask yourself, aside from Favre, when's the last time the Vikings signed/traded for an already proven star? (and before someone says Randy Moss from 2 years ago, he was not a proven star 2 years ago, he was a washed out star)

I wouldn't use him as an example but that's not true that he was washed up. At the time he was traded to the Vikings he was still an elite talent with the Patriots.

Some teams don't sign or trade for high-dollar, big-name players. Steelers and Packers have pretty much never had players on their team they didn't draft themselves. It's all bout what philosophy your organization follows.

#50 DNukem170

DNukem170

Dance like you want to win, Gundam!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:56 PM

And now the Ravens are cutting Bernard Pollard. I am officially in "WTF Ozzie?" mode.

#51 JP

JP

Member of the Ravens Nation!

• Trade-in Value Team

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:01 PM

I just saw that myself and was definitely puzzled. I'm not in the WTF mode yet, but I'm definitely having to recite "Don't Panic, Trust Ozzie" three times as much as the past few days. I would say we get a good chance of keeping Reed though with the way they are slashing through players. I knew we would be taking a number of losses on defense but any more and I might begin to wonder if they are going "Ray's gone, Fuck it, let's start from scratch."

all-banner.jpg

CAG Apple Game Center/OpenFeint/Plus+/WWF IDs

CAG Game Database & You - Small little tutorial I guess you would call it.

#52 DestroVega

DestroVega

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:21 PM

Jake Long to the Rams

#53 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:23 PM

Rashard Mendenhall left Pittsburgh for Arizona, where he'll compete for the starting job there.

#54 Ced

Ced

Monster Hustler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:25 PM

With Ray Ray, Kruger, Ellerbe and now Pollard gone, seems like they have a lot of faith that the D will remain effective. Otherwise, it's up to a Boldin-less Flacco to save the day.

Prepare for another 12 years for the next championship, Baltimore.
Posted Image

#55 JP

JP

Member of the Ravens Nation!

• Trade-in Value Team

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:31 PM

While I wouldn't necessarily want to wait 12 years for another super bowl, getting one every 12 years is still better than a lot of teams.

all-banner.jpg

CAG Apple Game Center/OpenFeint/Plus+/WWF IDs

CAG Game Database & You - Small little tutorial I guess you would call it.

#56 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:32 PM

With Ray Ray, Kruger, Ellerbe and now Pollard gone, seems like they have a lot of faith that the D will remain effective. Otherwise, it's up to a Boldin-less Flacco to save the day.

Prepare for another 12 years for the next championship, Baltimore.

You say that as though it's unimpressive. That's a lot better than most teams do. Some teams haven't been to the playoffs in 12 years, lol.

EDIT - JP beat me to it, haha.

#57 HydroX

HydroX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:53 PM

Darren Sharper? The Vikings love signing washed up Packers.

#58 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:59 PM

wes welker might be headed to Denver

#59 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:01 PM

Denver's trying to create a killer WR core if they can get Wes Welker signed to go with Eric Decker and DeMaryius Thomas.

#60 Ced

Ced

Monster Hustler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:02 PM

While I wouldn't necessarily want to wait 12 years for another super bowl, getting one every 12 years is still better than a lot of teams.

Valid. And at least I would trust Ozzie to still at least present a regularly competitive if not championship caliber squad.
Posted Image