My PS3 just died. I have a few questions, if anyone can answer them.

Drclaw411

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Well, this sucks. My launch 60gb PS3 just died. Red blinking light. It happens a few moments ago while I was watching my brand new Wreck It Ralph blu-ray (seems Ralph wrecked my PS3, lol).

This is extremely deflating. I've had this thing since launch, and played the hell out of it. I can't even fully understand that I don't have a working PS3 right now.

I know the system is dead. Afaik, there is no way to repair a blinking red light console. I understand I now need to buy a new console. But what's even more devestating than that is the loss of all of my data. Every game I've played, every save file from this console generation in terms of PS3 titles is on that hard drive. Is there any possible way to recover all of that data? Can the hard drive be put into another PS3? And if so, does it need to be another 60gb launch console?

Also, my new Wreck It Ralph blue ray is in that console. Is there any way to get it out? Turning it on, it just turns itself off instantly and won't eject the disc.

Thanks for any help.

Blinking red light means it's overheating.

One thing to try is remove the plug from the back and wait an hour or 2 and then try again. If it works you can get the disk out in all likely hood.

If all else fails you can open it up and get it out yourself by taking apart the blu ray drive.

^ this. happened with my god of war origins disk. Gave it some time and it turned on for about 10 minutes. Long enough for me to get the game and backup tons of saves (before ps+) also, if you have ps+ it will be in the cloud.
When you put a harddrive into a ps3 I'm farely sure it reformats it, so if you get your drive off, I believe you will have to remove the data with a computer, but I can't be sure.

[quote name='Drclaw411']Well, this sucks. My launch 60gb PS3 just died. Red blinking light. It happens a few moments ago while I was watching my brand new Wreck It Ralph blu-ray (seems Ralph wrecked my PS3, lol).

This is extremely deflating. I've had this thing since launch, and played the hell out of it. I can't even fully understand that I don't have a working PS3 right now.

I know the system is dead. Afaik, there is no way to repair a blinking red light console. I understand I now need to buy a new console. But what's even more devestating than that is the loss of all of my data. Every game I've played, every save file from this console generation in terms of PS3 titles is on that hard drive. Is there any possible way to recover all of that data? Can the hard drive be put into another PS3? And if so, does it need to be another 60gb launch console?

Also, my new Wreck It Ralph blue ray is in that console. Is there any way to get it out? Turning it on, it just turns itself off instantly and won't eject the disc.

Thanks for any help.[/QUOTE]
That's not true blinking red light can be repaired :) I work on consoles daily I see YLOD, RROD etc.. Red light can mean a lot of things but the most common can be overheating so one of your solder balls is loose underneath your GPU or your power supply died. I would try finding somebody in your town who can repair consoles start with power supply if its still red light do a reflow station and give it a go.

[quote name='Drclaw411']Well, this sucks. My launch 60gb PS3 just died. Red blinking light. It happens a few moments ago while I was watching my brand new Wreck It Ralph blu-ray (seems Ralph wrecked my PS3, lol).

Thanks for any help.[/QUOTE]

What you might wanna do if you get the overheating fixed is get a Playstation Plus account and QUICKLY upload your save files to the cloud. That way you can transfer the data over to your new (hopefully slim) ps3. I lost my save data to the YLOD. You still have a chance.

Buy a heatgun, look up a tutorial on youtube of how to reflow a PS3 and do that to get it working long enough to get your disc out and back up some saves.

If that doesn't work for some reason then look up a tutorial on youtube of how to open the bluray drive. It's really not hard at all.

[quote name='whoknows']Buy a heatgun, look up a tutorial on youtube of how to reflow a PS3 and do that to get it working long enough to get your disc out and back up some saves.

If that doesn't work for some reason then look up a tutorial on youtube of how to open the bluray drive. It's really not hard at all.[/QUOTE]

No please for the love of god do not use a heat gun lol. Your console can be repaired and it will work for awhile if you get it reflowed professionally with a reflow station.

[quote name='Teh Reaper']No please for the love of god do not use a heat gun lol. Your console can be repaired and it will work for awhile if you get it reflowed professionally with a reflow station.[/QUOTE]

Worked for me for a few months before I bought another PS3.

From what I've read it's a problem that can never be truly fixed. Even if he gets it done professionally it's just extending the inevitable. If he's planning to get a new PS3 I see no reason why he shouldn't use a heat gun to get it working long enough to get what he wants off it.

I don't see the point personally in spending $70+ for something like that when that money can just go towards a new PS3 instead.

[quote name='whoknows']Worked for me for a few months before I bought another PS3.

From what I've read it's a problem that can never be truly fixed. Even if he gets it done professionally it's just extending the inevitable. If he's planning to get a new PS3 I see no reason why he shouldn't use a heat gun to get it working long enough to get what he wants off it.

I don't see the point personally in spending $70+ for something like that when that money can just go towards a new PS3 instead.[/QUOTE]

Whoa whoever covers 70+ for a reflow is a thief lol if that's the theory your going by then yeah no harm done. A reflow around where I live is 45 tops.

Hey reaper, since you fix the systems, can I ask a question? Last year, my 20GB (now 1TB) finally fell. After playing Twisted Metal 2012 online, I got the red light, but after that, system seemed fine. Only playing TM12 online makes it red light and shut off. Problem is that when playing games, I get a lot of artifacting. I tried using gophermods repair service, whom didnt know how to fix this problem (I got a refund).

I know Sony can send me a refurb, but I wanna try to avoid this. Do ou have any advice repair wise? Thanks

[quote name='ddp72984']Hey reaper, since you fix the systems, can I ask a question? Last year, my 20GB (now 1TB) finally fell. After playing Twisted Metal 2012 online, I got the red light, but after that, system seemed fine. Only playing TM12 online makes it red light and shut off. Problem is that when playing games, I get a lot of artifacting. I tried using gophermods repair service, whom didnt know how to fix this problem (I got a refund).

I know Sony can send me a refurb, but I wanna try to avoid this. Do ou have any advice repair wise? Thanks[/QUOTE]

To me it sounds like the GPU is on its way out the best thing to do there is I would switch the thermal paste since it isn't YLOD yet. If that doesn't work I would give it a reflow but giving a reflow to a working machine sometimes can be a bad thing and the system could die =\ lol. If your playing a game and the image goes crazy and you start seeing tearing or anything in the game it's usually the GPU started to fail.

The reflow is interesting but I can't imagine that fix will last for very long. The best option is just buy the new system and move your data over to it.

[quote name='Teh Reaper']To me it sounds like the GPU is on its way out the best thing to do there is I would switch the thermal paste since it isn't YLOD yet. If that doesn't work I would give it a reflow but giving a reflow to a working machine sometimes can be a bad thing and the system could die =\ lol. If your playing a game and the image goes crazy and you start seeing tearing or anything in the game it's usually the GPU started to fail.[/QUOTE]

Do you have a site in which you offer repair services? I'd definitely would be interested...

[quote name='Indiana']The reflow is interesting but I can't imagine that fix will last for very long. The best option is just buy the new system and move your data over to it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's not a permanent solution but with that problem nothing is. There's no way to fix it permanently. Even sites that "professionally" fix them will say that upfront.

Reflow is really just used for getting it running again for a short time while you get what you want off it. Mine lasted for a few months after I did it, and then when it died again I just bought a new one.

[quote name='whoknows']Yeah, it's not a permanent solution but with that problem nothing is. There's no way to fix it permanently. Even sites that "professionally" fix them will say that upfront.

Reflow is really just used for getting it running again for a short time while you get what you want off it. Mine lasted for a few months after I did it, and then when it died again I just bought a new one.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, to be honest, I just want it fixed to use for backwards compatibility and maybe to help me boost trophies once in a while. I already have a replacement slim...

[quote name='ddp72984']Yeah, to be honest, I just want it fixed to use for backwards compatibility and maybe to help me boost trophies once in a while. I already have a replacement slim...[/QUOTE]

no unfortunately i don't have a website yet but ill be willing to help you find a good repair service in your town through craiglist if you want to go that route if not i can point you at some sites that are reputable.

I want to thank everybody who responded to this, and I thank you all for your advice. It seems my best option is to get it repaired professionally by somebody other than Sony, then get PS+ and back everything up. I wish I had done some damn research on + or I would have everything backed up already. I posted a blog about this as well and most people there recommend gophermods repair service.

Some questions I have on recovering the data, if I am able to get my console fixed: how long does it usually take to backup data to the cloud? Last thing I want is for the console to die again mid-data transfer. Would it take less time to sync it directly to a new PS3 console and back it up after? And if I back it up to the cloud, can I actually download my saves, pen account, etc to a new console or do I have to just run off the cloud?

People have said good things about gophermods so that's one option. Depends on how much you want to spend.

I wanted to spend nothing so I did it myself.

I just read that reflowing is a better route to go than reballing. It said even though reballing tends to last longer if it breaks again its unfixable whereas if a reflow breaks again it can be repaired again.

Any truth to this?

Thanks for everyone's advice very much. I got my console back today (i used Gophermods) and it's working again. I know that reflowing isnt a permanent fix, and I plan to get a slim or superslim fairly soon and transfer all my data over, but i'm still thrilled that my console has new life.

[quote name='Drclaw411']Thanks for everyone's advice very much. I got my console back today (i used Gophermods) and it's working again. I know that reflowing isnt a permanent fix, and I plan to get a slim or superslim fairly soon and transfer all my data over, but i'm still thrilled that my console has new life.[/QUOTE]

hey where did you fixed your ps3? the same thing happened to me last night i was downloading bioshock infinite and i was playing prototype 2 and it shut down...my ps3 turns on but then it shuts down and gives me the red blinking light...please help/advise me thanks

[quote name='jsdgame']hey where did you fixed your ps3? the same thing happened to me last night i was downloading bioshock infinite and i was playing prototype 2 and it shut down...my ps3 turns on but then it shuts down and gives me the red blinking light...please help/advise me thanks[/QUOTE]

I sent it off to Gophermods. www.gophermods.com.

bread's done
Back