Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate CAG Group

jr233270

CAGiversary!
Feedback
139 (100%)
Hey,

I thought I'd go ahead and start a Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate CAG group for those of us that will be getting the game tomorrow. I plan on learning the ropes a bit before heading online, but once I do go online I will need some people to play with.

So I'm going to start a list of people here and add your name to the list so others can add you on the Wii U to team up and slay some monsters in Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. If you send someone a friend request, just say something along the lines of "Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate CAG group" in the message.

mh3-march.png

CAG MH Group Members

CAG Name | NNID | Weapon Choice | Time Zone | Experience Level | Misc
jr233270 | JDR1986 | Undecided | Eastern | New to series
Mad D | alldavidnameused | Lance | Pacific | Moderate | Just finished High Rank online
antlp89 | AFRO_insomniac | Great sword/Long Sword | Pacific | Intermediate | Use keyboard to chat
dgwillia006 | SgtWiggles | Varied | Eastern | Moderate
KingBroly | KingBroly | Undecided | Eastern | Moderate | Punctual
clonesniper666 | clonesniper666 | Dual Blades | Eastern | Moderate
frostybroc | frostybroc | Any | EST | Moderate
wjhard63 | MidRetro | Undecided | Eastern | New to Series
coolz481 | AchtungBaby | Dual Blades/Hammer | Eastern | New to Series
Bezerker | Bezerker | Dual Blades | Eastern | New To series
XeRoFuN | XeRoFuN | Long Sword/Hunting Horn | Pacific | Moderate

Quick Tips for Beginners

Before playing online complete at least the first two single player mode quest
Doing these quick fetch quest will present:

Some small in game tutorials
The BBQ Spit item which lets you cook raw meat into rare/well-done/burnt steak, this increases stamina for dodging and some attacks
Opportunity to explore where and how to gather item resources
The opportunity to access the farm (bottom right of the single player dock) to generate item resources

A helpful early game resource to grow at the farm would be the blue mushroom because they are needed in order to create a potion to restore health.

Some useful item combinations
blue mushroom + herb = potion
potion + honey = mega potion

http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/MH3:_Combination_List

Above is the list of item combinations from Monster Hunter Tri (they still apply to Ultimate 3). All can be discovered on the player's own exploration as items that can combine will be highlighted in the item menu. Another incentive to completing offline single player quest is that items like potions can be later purchased instead of having to be created by the player.

Combat (common new player complaints and difficulties)
Monster Hunter is not a hack and slash game or a real time turned based RPG. This is highlighted online during multiplayer games because players attacks can make contact with others. Attacking wildly will knock over team members as well as hit monsters in their armored spots that will dull weapons as well as do no damage.

Another common complaint to new players is the camera. As it is constantly needs to be moved during combat. A major reason for this is because players will need to constantly position themselves at odd angles in order to attack monster's weak points such as the underbelly or throat. In some cases the monster will be the ground that the player is walking on and the camera will need to be moved similar to a 3D platforming game.

Though for this entry to the game there is a loose lock on system which is useful when losing complete view of the targeted monster. Players must eventually become accustomed to moving the camera in order to position themselves properly especially when dealing with multiple monsters that may take up the entire TV screen and needing to keep both in view. Even the distance or what part of the weapon that comes in contact with the monster determines damage. That's why camera angles are important.

Nintendo UK Beginner Tips
http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Support/Wii-U/Games/Monster-Hunter-3-Ultimate/Monster-Hunter-3-Ultimate-Games-Tips/Monster-Hunter-3-Ultimate-Games-Tips-752589.html

[quote name='Mad D']Was going to start up this thread but since you did it for me I'll add some stuff to it ;)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the additional info/chart. Definitely a good idea!

Getting 3DS version tonight, my WiiU version comes tomorrow.

I hate playing in groups that are super serious, like to have some fun. I use pretty much any weapon, but I use the Longsword and Switch Axe most (Hoping to learn the Hunting Horn)

I've never played it, but I am interested. Though the demo has made me more apprehensive about buying it.

shits irritating that the host can bounce out of the game and now everyone get booted back to the offline village, way to take 2 steps backward capcom

KingBroly | KingBroly | Undecided | Eastern | Moderate | Punctual

- Gamepad has a microphone built in, so voice chat is automatic basically (you can turn it off via the touch screen)
- Online Mode has been massively revamped from Tri

I've added some tips for extremely new players that may be useful as I spent the yesterday explaining these things to two friends that were new to the series.

Quick Tips for Begginers

Before playing online complete at least the first two single player mode quest
Doing these quick fetch quest will present:

Some small in game tutorials
The BBQ Spit item which lets you cook raw meat into rare/well-done/burnt steak
Opportunity to explore where and how to gather item resources
The opportunity to access the farm (bottom right of the single player dock) to generate item resources

A helpful early game resource to grow at the farm would be the blue mushroom because they are needed in order to create a potion to restore health.

Some useful item combinations
blue mushroom + herb = potion
potion + honey = mega potion

http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/MH3:_Combination_List

Above is the list of item combinations from Monster Hunter Tri (they still apply to Ultimate 3). All can be discovered on the player's own exploration as items that can combine will be highlighted in the item menu. Another incentive to completing offline single player quest is that items like potions can be later purchased instead of having to be created by the player.

Combat (common new player complaints and difficulties)
Monster Hunter is not a hack and slash game or a real time turned based RPG. This is highlighted online during multiplayer games because players attacks can make contact with others. Attacking wildly will knock over team members as well as hit monsters in their armored spots that will dull weapons as well as do no damage.

Another common complaint to new players is the camera. As it is constantly needs to be moved during combat. A major reason for this is because players will need to constantly position themselves at odd angles in order to attack monster's weak points such as the underbelly or throat. In some cases the monster will be the ground that the player is walking on and the camera will need to be moved similar to a 3D platforming game.

Though for this entry to the game there is a loose lock on system which is useful when losing complete view of the targeted monster. Players must eventually become accustomed to moving the camera in order to position themselves properly especially when dealing with multiple monsters that may take up the entire TV screen and needing to keep both in view. Even the distance or what part of the weapon that comes in contact with the monster determines damage. That's why camera angles are important.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice write up.

Some other things that beginners should note are the importance of stamina and weapon sharpness.

Eating a ration or cooked steak will increase stamina which is important for running, blocking, etc. Stamina is extremely important for large monsters. At least for Great sword and Long sword users (probably other classes as well) you can only run while your weapon is sheathed so the method of attacking large monsters is to run around them unsheathed and then attacked in sequences when you catch the monster off guard or when its attack misses you. After landing a couple of hits you should re-sheath your weapon to regain the ability to run around them again. If you aren't quick enough and the monster is about to attack you can try to roll dodge at the last second.

The key to fighting any monster in this game is to feel out each monster's pattern and counter their attacks effectively when you find an opening. What makes this game fun for me is the "dance" you must have with these huge monsters in order to take them down. Once you get the pattern down fighting them is much easier to deal with.

As far as weapon sharpness, certain monsters have armor which can only be hit with weapons of a certain sharpness. Over time your weapon will dull and you may not be able to hit the monster effectively. You can restore sharpness using a Mini Whetstone or a Whetstone.

Another tip for beginners is to utilize the meal area (at least online there is one) before accepting a quest. You can eat a meal by sitting down on the picnic table area near the quest board and using ingredients obtained from completing quests. Eating meals can increase your health, stamina, other effects and can be extremely helpful towards completing quests.

Transfer Watch : Day 2

Currently almost done with 2 star quests. Also got that overpowered as hell Gunlance from the Bullfango quest

I sent everyone here a friend request I think, also they finally released the transfer app. Playing the WiiU version feels weird after being so used to the 3DS screen, everything is so spaced out lol

Also, I think I have decided to either main the Hunting Horn or Gunlance. Been using both and loving them

I'm in, though when I'm able to play depends on when Newegg feels like shipping the game. They charged me for it on Wed, still no shipping confirm.

wjhard63 | MidRetro | Undecided | Eastern | New to Series |

wasabi5858 | wasabi5858 | DS| PST | noob |

still learning, just tried online for the first time. didn't do too bad but obviously out geared by the group I was in. They were nice and tolerant :)

Booting up the game for the first time now. I havent really played a MH game other than a few hours in the PSP ones so i'm going to spend some time learning offline. If anyone wants to add me, my id is Bezerker.

Well if anyone is gonna be on tomorrow, I'm probably gonna start up Online. Havent touched it yet, but I just hit 4 star Village quests (Just beat Gobul)

I need to knock those offline. I'll try to be online tonight, but class ends late so I'm not a definite. Loving the game! Looks amazing. Ran Naked with the Bulls(fangos) the other night with some friends had a blasted. Found it hilarious that Bullfangos and Rhenoplos were growing out of the ground like weeds.

I'm on the last of my 2 star quests where you have to trap a great jaggy (the bear trap one took me forever because I kept accidentally killing it). I'm really liking the game so far. I'm not too keen on the camera controls or the animation priority on weapon slashes (makes Dark Souls look easy) but all in all i'm going to stick with this one.

I happened to find the 3ds version mistagged for $25 at Walmart. Do you guys think its worth playing the 3ds version if i'd be playing it mostly at home (where I could be playing the Wiiu one)?

[quote name='Bezerker']I'm on the last of my 2 star quests where you have to trap a great jaggy (the bear trap one took me forever because I kept accidentally killing it). I'm really liking the game so far. I'm not too keen on the camera controls or the animation priority on weapon slashes (makes Dark Souls look easy) but all in all i'm going to stick with this one.

I happened to find the 3ds version mistagged for $25 at Walmart. Do you guys think its worth playing the 3ds version if i'd be playing it mostly at home (where I could be playing the Wiiu one)?[/QUOTE]

I play my 3DS version just as much as the WiiU one. Really comes in handy for me since I travel alot. Though if you don't, the WiiU might be fine for you since they are adding off TV play soon.

Also sometimes I just like playing the 3DS version while watching TV in the background

I only own the Wii U version, but added my info to the front page. Just started going online last night and have worked up to 5-star quests online, so I've got some experience now even though I'm new to the series. Currently HR2 and would love to join a CAG group!

That is one thing I would like Capcom to incorporate in this series, a possible "Guild system". I would love to have a 3DS XL with MH3U, but it would be too much of a distraction for me with school and work. I feel bad for my PS3 and Ni No Kuni collecting dust.

Anyone having problems with the 3DS transfer tool? My Wii U and 3DS never can find each other. I don't know what the trick is.

[quote name='skubish']Anyone having problems with the 3DS transfer tool? My Wii U and 3DS never can find each other. I don't know what the trick is.[/QUOTE]

Mine worked fine for me on the first try. I usually start the WiiU version first then the 3DS picks it up right away. Maybe turning off Wifi on your WiiU might help or something?

Also gonna be out of town for like a week and a half. Please don't delete me for being inactive, gonna play the living hell out of the game the moment I get home. Still trudging through the 3DS version in the mean time

No need for deletions. Reached HR2, and essentially helping others get there. One upgrade away from my Binding Bludgeon. Rocking Jaggi Armor, looks nice next step is going to be Rathian.

Been running some co-op with the lady friend. Takin' it slow but having fun. Using the Hunter Horn and working on wrapping up my Qurupeco set. Gotta smash some more flints off of that thing. We stopped at Barroth, I think.
You guys get any good sessions going here?

Not yet, I've been playing with a close friend of mine but any of you are welcomed to add me and I'll be willing to help out.

[quote name='frostybroc'] I feel bad for my PS3 and Ni No Kuni collecting dust.[/QUOTE]

Ugh. This is why I feel like I really should hold off on this huge timesink. I just really got started on Ni No kuni and then I've still got Xcom, FFXIII-2 Valkyria Chronicles & Darksiders I & II to beat which are all really long games (that's not even counting Sticker Star & Fire Emblem but portable games are almost a different category for me). I hope people are still playing in a few months because I would like to get into it I've just got too much of a backlog.

synnarc | synnarc | Undecided | Eastern | Brand New to the series

Brand new to the series. I currently have ZERO WiiU friends. I'm a pretty friendly old guy if anyone is interested in adding me. Kids usually go to bed around 8:30.

After putting 93 hours into the game in 8 days I had to take a break. I just need a few days off so I can put some time into Metal Gear Rising, Walking Dead SI & some other stuff.

I stayed up until 2am playing last night without realizing what time it had become. My alarm clock for work was down right rude to my ear at 6.

Couple of noob questions. How do you use the BBQ spit to cook? It's always x'd out for me. And the golden fish 1 star quest - catching the first one spooked the others away. I went back to camp and traveled to all the other parts of the map and they never came back. I also fished out all the other fish in the area. What am I missing here?

sirdudeoi | sirdudeoi | Undecided - liking sword & shield best right now | Pacific Standard Time | Brand New to the series

Just picked my copy up yesterday. Plan to be on in evenings and will be able to play much more often once the patch comes out and I can play the game on my gamepad instead of TV.

[quote name='synnarc']I stayed up until 2am playing last night without realizing what time it had become. My alarm clock for work was down right rude to my ear at 6.

Couple of noob questions. How do you use the BBQ spit to cook? It's always x'd out for me. And the golden fish 1 star quest - catching the first one spooked the others away. I went back to camp and traveled to all the other parts of the map and they never came back. I also fished out all the other fish in the area. What am I missing here?[/QUOTE]

For the BBQ spit you have to wait till a little after the music ends and then hit the confirm button.

You will see the meat change colors and you want to hit the button right when it turns the right shade of red/orange.

With the golden fish I believe you can use a certain bait to make it easier.

Man I have to say I've been hooked on this game.

Been completely ignoring all my other games and having a blast with it. Love that they incorporated colored beasts in this game and the online mode is really revamped from the original Tri.

One thing I don't like however is that if the host of a room leaves everyone gets booted from the lobby. Wish it would transfer the host to another user. :/

I've added most of the posters in this thread, including synnarc and sirdudeoi.

I'm going to try to and finish the 1 star quests this week so I can join everybody online soon.

Finally got home, didnt get as much time to play while I was gone as I hoped. Still HR1 (Though I think I only need to beat Gobul and Lagiacruz). So i'm up for a group if anyone wants, using a HH with Quropeco armor at the moment

[quote name='dgwillia006']Finally got home, didnt get as much time to play while I was gone as I hoped. Still HR1 (Though I think I only need to beat Gobul and Lagiacruz). So i'm up for a group if anyone wants, using a HH with Quropeco armor at the moment[/QUOTE]

I need a Gobul lantern for a town quest just never got around to hunting one again, hope I catch you when you're on.

Your games were always full when I checked DG, next time.

Me and a friend got to G rank, I really don't mind helping out lower rank quest.

bread's done
Back