Neo Geo X Gold Limited Edition $150 on Amazon

[quote name='benjamouth']Are these any good, every time I see it I'm tempted.[/QUOTE]

I'd read some reviews on Amazon. Biggest complaint seems to be screen tearing, lack of save states (even for high scores), and potential pricing on future games.

I'm gonna pass on this until the homebrew community comes up with an easy means of playing ROM's on it.

I'd read through the post-release posts on the Neo-Geo thread that's floating around this forum as well. I had one in-hand but returned it untouched.

Snk is really milking the cow here. I remember when they released the snk collection vol.1 for like all of the previous generation system and was hoping a vol.2 because the sequels of vol.1 games hold up better than the first game of their franchises. They never did released the vol.2 and instead I saw they released a jap only psp title vol.0 with all of their game previous to neogeo system.

Then they release the games ppl want individually on Xbox live. which all fine I guess but they priced the 5 bucks more than I care to. And finally, on ps3 they release another snk collection called neogeo station. Which is also first generation neogeo games on it but with online play. And that was awesome because I was hoping they would later go on to release all of their neogeo library on it with online play. But they abandon that too. We have yet to see new game for over 2 yrs now and they went to kof96 and metalslug2 and they stopped. And they release another collection with this crap.

What I'm really trying to say is, stop milking with your first gen games like super sidekick 1, shock troopers 1, art of fighting 1, fatal fury 1, samurai showdown 1, and start milking sequels of those games.

[quote name='heyheyhey11']
What I'm really trying to say is, stop milking with your first gen games like super sidekick 1, shock troopers 1, art of fighting 1, fatal fury 1, samurai showdown 1, and start milking sequels of those games.[/QUOTE]

It's probably why they have all these "limited" editions still available for purchase.

Just passed up a JPN AES system for 250 over the weekend...not sure if I want to jump on 150 for this guy or see if it drops to 99...

Returned mine to Amazon after reading reviews. Issues: quality of docking station, screen tearing, lack of confirmed games at release (which they've now announced as being small random game volumes), and NO SAVES. What?

They really cut corners.

I love the NGX! Haven't had issues with screen tearing. Only complaint I basically have is that the viewing angles on the portable console isn't too good but I mainly play on the big screen. BTW, they should be announcing exactly what's in the software/firmware update v1.0 here soon.

This has been in my cart at Best Buy since it went on sale and I have $50 in rewards coupons too...but I can't seem to pull the trigger due because of the lack of unlimited credits. No save states I can live with, but keeping the 5 credit limit is ridiculous when it's just an emulator.

I was so hyped about this until i found out it's just emulation. Not really worth it for me since I am a game collector and prefer the real thing when it comes to games especially the NEO GEO.

Just an fyi, the order takes a couple of extra days to ship. I ordered one and chose 1 day prime for 4 bucks and it is still going to take 3 days to arrive...

You people posting that you would buy it at $50 are really cheap bastards. You get a 4.3" handheld machine with 20 built in games, a dock with tv output, a full-sized joystick that is exactly like the original AES version, and an extra game card for $150 and that is somehow too expensive? That makes no sense, I think people are just morons, and want everything for nothing. Also, if you can't afford this for $150 then maybe you need to get your priorities straight and not waste what little money you have on video games.

[quote name='Alazam']You people posting that you would buy it at $50 are really cheap bastards. You get a 4.3" handheld machine with 20 built in games, a dock with tv output, a full-sized joystick that is exactly like the original AES version, and an extra game card for $150 and that is somehow too expensive? That makes no sense, I think people are just morons, and want everything for nothing. Also, if you can't afford this for $150 then maybe you need to get your priorities straight and not waste what little money you have on video games.[/QUOTE] You do know you are on a website called cheap ass gamer right? I personally think you are an ass clown for paying $150 for this, but do you see me posting that?

[quote name='Alazam']You get a 4.3" handheld machine with 20 built in games, a dock with tv output, a full-sized joystick that is exactly like the original AES version, and an extra game card for $150 and that is somehow too expensive? That makes no sense, I think people are just morons, and want everything for nothing. Also, if you can't afford this for $150 then maybe you need to get your priorities straight and not waste what little money you have on video games.[/QUOTE]

I think this is less about not being able to afford $150 and more about this not being worth $150, and from the reviews I've seen, it definitely isn't.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Alazam']You people posting that you would buy it at $50 are really cheap bastards. You get a 4.3" handheld machine with 20 built in games, a dock with tv output, a full-sized joystick that is exactly like the original AES version, and an extra game card for $150 and that is somehow too expensive? That makes no sense, I think people are just morons, and want everything for nothing. Also, if you can't afford this for $150 then maybe you need to get your priorities straight and not waste what little money you have on video games.[/QUOTE]

I can buy a real neo geo for $200.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=430-iM_kXT0

[quote name='Alazam']You people posting that you would buy it at $50 are really cheap bastards. You get a 4.3" handheld machine with 20 built in games, a dock with tv output, a full-sized joystick that is exactly like the original AES version, and an extra game card for $150 and that is somehow too expensive? That makes no sense, I think people are just morons, and want everything for nothing. Also, if you can't afford this for $150 then maybe you need to get your priorities straight and not waste what little money you have on video games.[/QUOTE]

Why are you angry? You need to either go outside and play or get off this site. Its cheapssgamer.com not supportwhatilikeoryouramorn.com. I just dropped $400+ bucks on a 4 slot mvs and various games this weekend. The real deal. Not some lazy emulator. By your idiotic logic your the moron for spending $150 for shoddy emulation. $50 or is my price point... deal with it. You really need to look at your life before you start talking down to people.

LOL, here come the trolls. I looked at every review before I purchased and I saw far more positive ones than negative. Everything I have seen says that those claiming that it is bad emulation are full of crap and have no idea what they are talking about. Not to mention the fact that most of the people bashing it are the ones that have not even seen the thing in person. You gotta love all the idiots that say how bad something is before they have even experienced it themselves. But hey, that's the internet for ya. Every uneducated jackass that knows nothing about anything can have a voice...

[quote name='Alazam']LOL, here come the trolls. I looked at every review before I purchased and I saw far more positive ones than negative. Everything I have seen says that those claiming that it is bad emulation are full of crap and have no idea what they are talking about. Not to mention the fact that most of the people bashing it are the ones that have not even seen the thing in person. You gotta love all the idiots that say how bad something is before they have even experienced it themselves. But hey, that's the internet for ya. Every uneducated jackass that knows nothing about anything can have a voice...[/QUOTE]

madln.jpg

[quote name='Alazam'] im an uneducated jackass that knows nothing about anything [/QUOTE]

i cut out all the filler from your angry diatribe.

[quote name='gmsick']i cut out all the filler from your angry diatribe.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your completely pointless personal attack post. It really adds something to the conversation. Oh, and it has been reported. Grats...

[quote name='Alazam']LOL, here come the trolls. I looked at every review before I purchased and I saw far more positive ones than negative. Everything I have seen says that those claiming that it is bad emulation are full of crap and have no idea what they are talking about. Not to mention the fact that most of the people bashing it are the ones that have not even seen the thing in person. You gotta love all the idiots that say how bad something is before they have even experienced it themselves. But hey, that's the internet for ya. Every uneducated jackass that knows nothing about anything can have a voice...[/QUOTE]

Actually, you'll probably find that most people here and even on Neo Geo.com were positive about the Neo X until they actually received it. I know I was very skeptical and hadn't planned on getting one, but I ended up getting one as a gift for Christmas. My expectations were low but I was still very disappointed. The television output from the dock is terrible and the construction on the handheld is pretty low end. The stick was actually pretty similar to the original AES stick and actually impressed me. The emulation is somewhat below average and if you already have a PSP or one of the many other handhelds that can emulate the Neo Geo, there is really little reason to buy this. It's funny to see who is still defending this thing on sites like Neo Geo.com, it's almost entirely newbies and people that never played the original Neo Geo AES.

[quote name='Alazam']Thanks for your completely pointless personal attack post. It really adds something to the conversation. Oh, and it has been reported. Grats...[/QUOTE]

Good luck with that. lol! NGX is still not worth more than $50 to me. So rage on.

[quote name='bojay1997']Actually, you'll probably find that most people here and even on Neo Geo.com were positive about the Neo X until they actually received it. I know I was very skeptical and hadn't planned on getting one, but I ended up getting one as a gift for Christmas. My expectations were low but I was still very disappointed. The television output from the dock is terrible and the construction on the handheld is pretty low end. The stick was actually pretty similar to the original AES stick and actually impressed me. The emulation is somewhat below average and if you already have a PSP or one of the many other handhelds that can emulate the Neo Geo, there is really little reason to buy this. It's funny to see who is still defending this thing on sites like Neo Geo.com, it's almost entirely newbies and people that never played the original Neo Geo AES.[/QUOTE]

drop some knowledge on this clown bojay.

[quote name='Alazam']Thanks for your completely pointless personal attack post. It really adds something to the conversation. Oh, and it has been reported. Grats...[/QUOTE]

But calling us cheap bastards and morons isn't a personal attack? Hahah, I love people who talk shit and then report all the posts that talk shit to them.

[quote name='bojay1997']Actually, you'll probably find that most people here and even on Neo Geo.com were positive about the Neo X until they actually received it. I know I was very skeptical and hadn't planned on getting one, but I ended up getting one as a gift for Christmas. My expectations were low but I was still very disappointed. The television output from the dock is terrible and the construction on the handheld is pretty low end. The stick was actually pretty similar to the original AES stick and actually impressed me. The emulation is somewhat below average and if you already have a PSP or one of the many other handhelds that can emulate the Neo Geo, there is really little reason to buy this. It's funny to see who is still defending this thing on sites like Neo Geo.com, it's almost entirely newbies and people that never played the original Neo Geo AES.[/QUOTE]

I have played virtually every major video game system that has existed since the early 80s so I know what I am talking about. Also, if you actually take the time to search for more than 1 or 2 reviews then you will see there are plenty of positive reviews out there of people that actually OWN it. The problem is that most people see 1 bad review and immediately proclaim something to be terrible. If you look at the good reviews that actually show side bv side comparison from people that own both the original AES and the new one then you will see there is very little difference between the two. Also, in order to legally own an original AES system with all 21 of those games will cost you well over a grand if you can find them all. Excuse me for being a person that likes to legally own things instead of stealing them online. The only other portable system I own is a Vita and I will never hack it because I don't have the time, and prefer not to.

[quote name='gmsick']Good luck with that. lol! NGX is still not worth more than $50 to me. So rage on.

drop some knowledge on this clown bojay.[/QUOTE]

Were you born a dumbass or did you have to grow into it? Yeah, I'll have some uneducated douchebag on cheapassgamer "drop some knowledge" on me. I am only about to finish my Masters degree, 3rd overall, in college and have been playing video games since 1985, having owned virtually every system that has ever existed in the U.S.. Excuse me for not listening to random idiots like you.

[quote name='Alazam']I have played virtually every major video game system that has existed since the early 80s so I know what I am talking about. Also, if you actually take the time to search for more than 1 or 2 reviews then you will see there are plenty of positive reviews out there of people that actually OWN it. The problem is that most people see 1 bad review and immediately proclaim something to be terrible. If you look at the good reviews that actually show side bv side comparison from people that own both the original AES and the new one then you will see there is very little difference between the two. Also, in order to legally own an original AES system with all 21 of those games will cost you well over a grand if you can find them all. Excuse me for being a person that likes to legally own things instead of stealing them online. The only other portable system I own is a Vita and I will never hack it because I don't have the time, and prefer not to.[/QUOTE]

I own the Neo X, as well as an AES, an MVS25-4 arcade system, a Neo Geo CD and even a Neo Geo 64 arcade board and plenty of games. I can tell you without hesitation that the Neo X does not perform at the level of the AES or an MVS. Is the emulation ok? Sure, but it's no better than what's already available on other handhelds and the biggest selling point for many people, the console dock, is downright unplayable.

As for your arguments about legality, I would agree except that the emulator Tommo used in the Neo X is unlicensed and the creator has already expressed that he did not and would not license it for commercial use. So, Tommo has stolen someone else's intellectual property in pursuit of this business venture. As such, I don't feel all that sorry for Tommo or SNK which apparently is ok with them doing it.

[quote name='Alazam']Were you born a dumbass or did you have to grow into it? Yeah, I'll have some uneducated douchebag on cheapassgamer "drop some knowledge" on me. I am only about to finish my Masters degree, 3rd overall, in college and have been playing video games since 1985, having owned virtually every system that has ever existed in the U.S.. Excuse me for not listening to random idiots like you.[/QUOTE]
tumblr_lpyw2pNhaZ1r0w4bgo1_500.jpg

[quote name='bojay1997']I own the Neo X, as well as an AES, an MVS25-4 arcade system, a Neo Geo CD and even a Neo Geo 64 arcade board and plenty of games. I can tell you without hesitation that the Neo X does not perform at the level of the AES or an MVS. Is the emulation ok? Sure, but it's no better than what's already available on other handhelds and the biggest selling point for many people, the console dock, is downright unplayable.

As for your arguments about legality, I would agree except that the emulator Tommo used in the Neo X is unlicensed and the creator has already expressed that he did not and would not license it for commercial use. So, Tommo has stolen someone else's intellectual property in pursuit of this business venture. As such, I don't feel all that sorry for Tommo or SNK which apparently is ok with them doing it.[/QUOTE]

Except in the case you are speaking about SNK is the original creator of the system and games so they can do whatever they like with emulation for their own system. And my point about it costing very little money compared to an original system and all 21 of those games is still valid.

[quote name='Alazam']Were you born a dumbass or did you have to grow into it? Yeah, I'll have some uneducated douchebag on cheapassgamer "drop some knowledge" on me. I am only about to finish my Masters degree, 3rd overall, in college and have been playing video games since 1985, having owned virtually every system that has ever existed in the U.S.. Excuse me for not listening to random idiots like you.[/QUOTE]

Dude your a true clown. All you have done this entire time is get angry and throw insults at people that dont agree with you. Your a typical basement dwelling keyboard warrior. NGX is still not worth more than $50 imo. Now continue to rage....

[quote name='Alazam']Except in the case you are speaking about SNK is the original creator of the system and games so they can do whatever they like with emulation for their own system. And my point about it costing very little money compared to an original system and all 21 of those games is still valid.[/QUOTE]

Actually, they can't. The copyright to the emulator is owned 100% by the team that created it. SNK is free to develop their own emulator just like Tommo could have. They opted not to spend the time and money to do that and instead stole someone else's intellectual property.

You're correct that the Neo X costs less than a Neo Geo AES and 21 AES games, but to me it's comparing apples and cheese. Both are food, but they really aren't comparable in any way and if you want an apple, having to settle for cheese is a poor compromise.

[quote name='bojay1997']
You're correct that the Neo X costs less than a Neo Geo AES and 21 AES games, but to me it's comparing apples and cheese. Both are food, but they really aren't comparable in any way and if you want an apple, having to settle for cheese is a poor compromise.[/QUOTE]

Plus, cheese gives you gas.

[quote name='bojay1997']Actually, they can't. The copyright to the emulator is owned 100% by the team that created it. SNK is free to develop their own emulator just like Tommo could have. They opted not to spend the time and money to do that and instead stole someone else's intellectual property.

You're correct that the Neo X costs less than a Neo Geo AES and 21 AES games, but to me it's comparing apples and cheese. Both are food, but they really aren't comparable in any way and if you want an apple, having to settle for cheese is a poor compromise.[/QUOTE]

Actually they can, since you can't have a copyright for something that was illegal to make in the first place.

I'd probably give this thing a go for $99, but I'm pretty hard up for Last Blade 2.

I also wanted to throw my two cents into the "review" comment earlier. You normally learn the most from low review scores as the people who rate something 5 stars seem to either rate a product within 5 minutes of purchase and/or so they don't feel like they threw their money in the toilet.

Regardless of what certain haters have said I believe this is a good deal at $149.99 with no tax or shipping from Amazon.

[quote name='ghostsong']I'd probably give this thing a go for $99, but I'm pretty hard up for Last Blade 2.

I also wanted to throw my two cents into the "review" comment earlier. You normally learn the most from low review scores as the people who rate something 5 stars seem to either rate a product within 5 minutes of purchase and/or so they don't feel like they threw their money in the toilet.[/QUOTE]

last blade 2 is a great game. i agree with you on the review observation also. That said $50 is a reasonable price for the NGX for the quality your getting. The stick is decent for PC though.

If your curious about future game prices they are apparently going to be priced at $24.99 per volume from what Amazon has listed for the preorders for them.

bread's done
Back