Advice on which retro console to choose

MrNinjaSquirrel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
So I've been itching to buy a retro console. I have a PS2, Gamecube, Xbox, PS1, and N64 already. I've decided to choose one of the following:

Dreamcast
NES
SNES
Genesis
RetroN 3/4

But I really can't decide, so I wanted some feedback. Here are the qualities I'm looking for:

• Price and Availability
  • Variety and quantity of quality games
  • How well the games hold up
  • How they look on an HDTV (no CRT)
  • How sturdy the console is

Thanks for any help:)

[quote name='MrNinjaSquirrel']So I've been itching to buy a retro console. I have a PS2, Gamecube, Xbox, PS1, and N64 already. I've decided to choose one of the following:

Dreamcast
NES
SNES
Genesis
RetroN 3/4

But I really can't decide, so I wanted some feedback. Here are the qualities I'm looking for:

• Price and Availability
  • Variety and quantity of quality games
  • How well the games hold up
  • How they look on an HDTV (no CRT)
  • How sturdy the console is

Thanks for any help:)[/QUOTE]

Dreamcast being the newest would probably look the best, Genesis will get you the cheapest games for the long run.

I still play my SNES, whereas I ditched my genny to the local game store.

don't get a retron, shell out for a real console, not one of the emulation consoles.

Check out which has the most appeal to you, fun games, nostalgia, et cetera

SNES. I was a Genesis fan growing up but more SNES games have held up to the test of time. Genesis, not so much. NES is the number two.

Dreamcast is garbage. It could have been something but it wasnt. There are maybe 3 games worth playing on that.

Ok, so SNES seems like the best. My only problem is cartridges are so expensive. The games I'd want like Zelda, Mario, Kirby, etc. are almost all $30 and up. This is rather annoying:/ Are there good SNES games that are cheap (ie. under $10)?

If you want something more in line with what's out today, I would go with the DC. Some titles are pricey but not to the point that every single one is going to break your bank. If you want some good ol' fashioned platformers the SNES is the way to go but games vary in price and the recent surge has been driving them higher.

Go to you local flea market. You could probably buy the system and have them throw in a few games for pretty cheap. That said I'd recommend the SNES also. I love the dreamcast, but mine has had problems reading discs with any amount of wear on them and I've treated that thing like a second child.

Hmm, I'm interested in the Dreamcast mostly for the same reason I am the Genesis: the games are cheap! Heck, you can still find brand new dreamcast games sealed on amazon for less than $10. I had an SNES, but the power adapter broke so I sold if off. As much as I want one I wonder how much I'd really be willing to spend on a cartridge, considering you can get the games for $8 on the Virtual Console. Will be going to a thrift shop soon, so I'll check what sort of games they have for cheap (usually at least something of note).

Genesis does what Nintendon't!

Get a Genesis! They're cheap and the games are cheap.

I'm probably biased because I was a Sega fanboy growing up. I got a SNES at one point but ended up giving it away.

[quote name='MrNinjaSquirrel']Ok, so SNES seems like the best. My only problem is cartridges are so expensive. The games I'd want like Zelda, Mario, Kirby, etc. are almost all $30 and up. This is rather annoying:/ Are there good SNES games that are cheap (ie. under $10)?[/QUOTE]

Populous is all I can really think of.

If you have the time and the energy, I'd definitely check out flea markets, thrift/pawn shops and yard sales for systems and games.

I'd also see what's available. For instance, in my old area, Super Nintendo was tops. Around here, it seems like it was easily Genesis. I doubt I've seen 1/10th of SNES games and systems as I've seen of Genesis stuff.

Definitely Super Nintendo. A genesis might be cheaper, but in the long run you'll just end up having a bunch of crappy beat up cheap games that you never play. Get a few quality SNES titles ;)

I think what you grew up with is really important. My first console was an NES, so the NES is my favorite retro console. However, the top loader I have doesn't really play too nicely with my HDTV.

I also love the SNES because it has some of my favorite older games and the system and games are readily available. I have an SNES Mini that i really love and it seems like I can always find some new game for it that I either don't have or never heard of. The disadvantage to the SNES is that the system has a habit of yellowing, but that's fixable if you're willing to take it apart and make some retrobright.

I was a Nintendo kid, so the Genesis isn't my console of choice. However, what makes it cool is that there are a ton of options when it comes to consoles, accessories and games. The Genesis 3 is great if you want a really small Genesis and don't care about the Sega CD or 32X. There's also the Genesis 2 and the original that work great.

What also makes the Genesis kinda cool is that it has some rarer consoles. The JVC X'Eye is a multisystem that is pretty rare/expensive and it plays Sega CDs and Genesis games without any add-ons. The CDX was made by Sega and it's much smaller than the X'Eye and similar in size to the Genesis 3 if I'm not mistaken. It also plays CD and Genesis games and I'm pretty sure both are compatible with the 32X. Genesis games are also really cheap and some of the Genesis versions are sometimes viewed to be superior to the SNES versions and I think the games are usually cheaper.

I love my Dreamcast. It's a great CD system and has lots of cool games. They're pretty cheap and there is a VGA option if you're willing to spend the money for it.

In the end it really is a matter of personal preference. The system with the games you want should be the system you collect for first. It might cost more, but you'll be happier in the end. You should also start going to pawn shops, flea markets, Goodwills, ect to find games.

bread's done
Back