Vita or 3DS?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#31 speedracer

speedracer

Get off my lawn

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:40 AM

I bought a 3DS to go with the $15 BB 3DS game sale I got in on. I haven't gotten to play a game on it yet. My wife, a non-gamer gamer if there ever was one, won't give it back. Shit, I loaded up Crashmo and didn't put it back on her game when I was done and got a "soooo, why you touchin mah ds" talking to.

I would like to play Persona 4 like everyone else, but I ain't paying $250 to do it with very little else in the Vita pipe that's appealing to me. Meanwhile, my Luigi preorder gets here Monday! So I'll just keep going through the Dragon Quest DS versions when I need a JRPG fix.
Posted Image

#32 KillerRamen

KillerRamen

OMG Lilac PSP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:22 PM

The Vita is more inline with what I want out of a handheld, but the 3DS has the developer support. I'm going to eventually get both, but I'm getting a 3DS this Sunday because of the cheap Pikachu Special Edition 3DS XL. I think they both have a good library of games and it really kind of depends on what kind of games you want. [If you have PS+, then the Vita is a pretty awesome system to have.]

I'll probably pick up the Vita whenever it has a Special Edition system that I just have to have.
Posted Image

#33 Mixer23

Mixer23

I was the Turkey!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 March 2013 - 03:18 PM

Here we go again with the Vita has no good games discussion again... Can we get past this, guys? Both have a number of great games. Everyone said the same thing about 3DS until Vita came out, and now all of a sudden 3DS has an exemplary library. It's called Metacritic, people, do your research.

3DS has 48 games with a score of 75 or better.

Vita has 42 games with a score of 75 or better.

Throw in the fact that 3DS has been out a year longer and they're pretty much neck and neck.

The articles I read seem to conjure up these images of Capcom executives sitting in a dark room with a cauldron and cackling about how no one will be able to buy this game used.

Do you really think I could start a fast food restaurant called McDonaldz and use the golden arches as my logo and get away with it?

#34 FadeToDark

FadeToDark

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 March 2013 - 04:13 PM

I have both of the systems. With the launch of Luigi's Mansion tomorrow I believe the 3DS would be a great candidate. However, with the Vita you can purchase PlayStation+ for around $50 and then get a ton of free games.

#35 AZR43L

AZR43L

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:03 PM

Here we go again with the Vita has no good games discussion again... Can we get past this, guys? Both have a number of great games. Everyone said the same thing about 3DS until Vita came out, and now all of a sudden 3DS has an exemplary library. It's called Metacritic, people, do your research.

3DS has 48 games with a score of 75 or better.

Vita has 42 games with a score of 75 or better.

Throw in the fact that 3DS has been out a year longer and they're pretty much neck and neck.

Metacritic (as you used it) means nothing really. If the majority of 75+ rated games on a system were fps or sports games and I liked rpgs and platformers, that system wouldn't appeal to me at all. Thats why I'm trying to say that deciding on a system should be about individual game preference over other things.

#36 Makarov

Makarov

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:44 PM

They're both awesome so if you have the cash I would get both. But if I had to live with only one, it would be the 3DS. That may change when soul sacrifice comes out.

#37 FatBoyInside

FatBoyInside

Money costs too much

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:59 PM

Worth noting, try demo-ing both systems at a kiosk (Gamestop or Bestbuy). If the 3D effects on the 3DS cause you eyestrain or if you get disoriented/frustrated in finding the 3D sweet-spot on games, that should be worth consideration. The PSVita oled screen is extremely sharp, vibrant and high-res. So basically, are you a visual aficionado or do you intend to utilize the 3D effects much?

Monthly Lowball Sale is over for now.  Crazy deals await you next month so tune back, then. 

animePSP2.jpg

#38 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:03 PM

...but the Vita doesn't have "Super Dynasty Dragon Warrior Quest Chinpoko"

#39 Mixer23

Mixer23

I was the Turkey!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:01 PM

Metacritic (as you used it) means nothing really. If the majority of 75+ rated games on a system were fps or sports games and I liked rpgs and platformers, that system wouldn't appeal to me at all. Thats why I'm trying to say that deciding on a system should be about individual game preference over other things.

I'm not disagreeing with you on the latter part of your argument, but the reason I showcased the metacritic score was to show that each of the consoles do have a solid amount of quality titles. In other words, saying that Vita only has 2-3 good games is totally wrong. It may only have 2-3 games that you're interested in, but that doesn't mean no one else is... There's plenty of quality titles on there.

The articles I read seem to conjure up these images of Capcom executives sitting in a dark room with a cauldron and cackling about how no one will be able to buy this game used.

Do you really think I could start a fast food restaurant called McDonaldz and use the golden arches as my logo and get away with it?

#40 DarthCAG

DarthCAG

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:45 AM

I am holding out for E3 price drop in Vita and memory cards!
Been wanting a Vita for a while now, also being PS+ makes a big difference!

#41 AZR43L

AZR43L

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:14 AM

I'm not disagreeing with you on the latter part of your argument, but the reason I showcased the metacritic score was to show that each of the consoles do have a solid amount of quality titles. In other words, saying that Vita only has 2-3 good games is totally wrong. It may only have 2-3 games that you're interested in, but that doesn't mean no one else is... There's plenty of quality titles on there.

Well, regardless of how you look at it or what the "facts" show, there's no denying that there is a reason why you hear that phrase over and over again. I don't know what it is but I can say that it could have something to do with a popular bias that outweighs the verdict of "professional" game reviews. Just look at the new DMC on Metacritic. It has a score of 86. A quality title, right? 62 positive, 0 negative by critics. 178 positive, 160 negative by users. What does this tell you about the game? To me it just shows that there's something at odds between "critic" opinion and user opinion (and also something at odds within user opinion). Personally, all I get out of it is that this game might or might not be for me. Then we have Mirror of Fate. 73 score. 28 positive, 27 mixed by critics. 25 positive, 4 mixed, 4 neg by users. See what I mean?

#42 Rosterking

Rosterking

Look away.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:25 AM

I'd go for a 3DS.

I got mine on launch and don't regret it one bit.
It's getting a lot of great games this year and if you haven't had a DS then with the 3DS library and DS library it's a great handheld.

I would say wait til after e3 in case they do announce a Vita price cut and hopefully a better price for the memory cards.

As for comparison of games the 3DS has

Fire Emblem
Resident Evil Revelations ( I know it's coming out for home consoles but it's still a great 3DS game )
Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon
Kid Icarus
Super Mario 3D Land

also Upcoming games like
Soul Hackers
Animal Crossing
DKC

The Vita has

Gravity Rush
Persona 4 Golden
Soul Sacrifice
and other games

Both are great but I'd go with the 3DS

Littlebigplanet
Uncharted: GA
Wipeout

#43 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:32 AM

Well, regardless of how you look at it or what the "facts" show, there's no denying that there is a reason why you hear that phrase over and over again. I don't know what it is but I can say that it could have something to do with a popular bias that outweighs the verdict of "professional" game reviews. Just look at the new DMC on Metacritic. It has a score of 86. A quality title, right? 62 positive, 0 negative by critics. 178 positive, 160 negative by users. What does this tell you about the game? To me it just shows that there's something at odds between "critic" opinion and user opinion (and also something at odds within user opinion). Personally, all I get out of it is that this game might or might not be for me. Then we have Mirror of Fate. 73 score. 28 positive, 27 mixed by critics. 25 positive, 4 mixed, 4 neg by users. See what I mean?

Capcom effect.

Nothing more.

#44 AZR43L

AZR43L

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 March 2013 - 04:17 AM

Capcom effect.

Nothing more.

Okay. And I'd guess you can explain the divide for Castlevania as the "nostalgic critic effect." So what does this ultimately mean? It means that it depends on who's giving the review. Nothing to do with "game quality," everything to do with opinion/preference.

My point is you can't judge quality in games and make a buying decision on a system by using Metacritic and picking a numbered "quality point." I guess we can know of certain games that are of high quality (judging from an agreement between critic and user using the 75 point), but this would leave out many others that might be good (Mirror of Fate? DMC? I don't know, "guess I'll try them and see for myself or maybe not because I don't like hack and slash platformers").

#45 UltimateIdiot911

UltimateIdiot911

Have a nice tragedy!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:21 AM

I have both system and I honestly put far more hours onto my Vita. I own more 3DS games (physical) than my Vita but none of them broke 20 hours of gameplay for me.

While Persona 4 Golden alone destroyed the total hours I've spent on the 3DS. Virtue's Last Reward is best played on Vita, IMO. Gravity Rush is amazing fun and refreshing. If you're interest there is a huge selection of PS1/PSP games too.

The one game I've enjoyed the most is Fire Emblem on the 3DS but something about playing on the 3DS is just not as comfortable on my eyes and hand as the Vita. The XL is nice but everything feels slightly more jagged/pixelated.

#46 speedracer

speedracer

Get off my lawn

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:02 PM

...but the Vita doesn't have "Super Dynasty Dragon Warrior Quest Chinpoko"

.. or much else for that matter :D

brb, 800 hours into Gravity Rush guys. Back touch ftw.

On topic, I think the Vita is a great platform. I just don't trust Sony to get the full measure of support out of it and if it's a decision between Nintendo 1st party vs. Sony + who they can wrangle onto their system, I'm going Nintendo no question. But that's just me. Plus there's that whole ultra gouge for the memory cards thing which really sucks on a mobile platform, since all other mobile platforms use cheap memory. Backwards compatibility means a lot to me too. I think the DS platform offers more (especially for me since I didn't play almost anything on it, though OMG IM PLAYING DQ9 SUPER DYNASTY CHINPOKO NECKBEARD EDITION LOLAMIRITEGUIS?) than whatever Sony allows to trickle out for Vita. Backwards compatible to the entire PSP platform would have probably changed my mind.

If own a PS3 and am getting a 4, the Vita seems like a no brainer to me. If not, I'm not sure it makes much sense for that to be your sole point of contact with the Sony platform.

Just my opinion.

Edited by speedracer, 24 March 2013 - 01:30 PM.

Posted Image

#47 biblioman

biblioman

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:08 PM

I didn't want to create a new topic, so I might as well ask here.

I already own a 3DS XL, but have been thinking about nabbing a Vita as well. But, because I have bipolar disorder, I can't play overly gory games.

Examples: 3DS Virtue's Last Reward and DS 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors were right about the limits of my tolerance. This (likely) rules out Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty. In other words, M for BLOOD is fine, M for GORE is not.

So, what good games are there that don't have much gore in them? VLR is amazing, but what others? I don't want to jump onboard a sinking ship. PS1/PSP classics are fine too.
Thanks!
See my list!

#48 AFRO insomniac

AFRO insomniac

Go Kings!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:32 PM

As with all console purchases, buy the system that has more games you are interested in.

Playing

Spoiler
2014 2013

#49 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:33 PM

I didn't want to create a new topic, so I might as well ask here.

I already own a 3DS XL, but have been thinking about nabbing a Vita as well. But, because I have bipolar disorder, I can't play overly gory games.

Examples: 3DS Virtue's Last Reward and DS 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors were right about the limits of my tolerance. This (likely) rules out Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty. In other words, M for BLOOD is fine, M for GORE is not.

So, what good games are there that don't have much gore in them? VLR is amazing, but what others? I don't want to jump onboard a sinking ship. PS1/PSP classics are fine too.
Thanks!

Assassins Creed isn't really a gory series. It has blood, but not much that I can remember.

Ragnarok Odyssey, Persona 4, Rayman Origins, Tales From Space Mutant Blobs Attack, Littlebigplanet, Lumines, Uncharted, Disgaea 3, Gravity Rush are some I can think of off the top of my head that are pretty good.

you are a pillar of the video game/gaming community. 

Thanks you are truly a pillar of the community!

#50 wasabi5858

wasabi5858

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:33 PM

Persona 4 golden, little big planet, wipeout, lumines and a host of psn titles usually is not too gory and the rpgs on ps1/psp.

It is not a sinking ship. Just not a terribly fast ship and the next big thing coming out (soul sacrifice) is pretty gory so it will not be suitable for you.

ps1/psp games still offer a lot of entertainment for the money, but you don't need a vita for that.

#51 JSpikeCaboose

JSpikeCaboose

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:10 AM

3DS all the way. While it may not have the graphical wow power of the Vita, it has a much better selection of games available, while the vita has been disappointingly lackluster.

#52 Wolfnix90

Wolfnix90

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:37 AM

i have both and i'd say 3ds. i rarely play my ps vita. i'm actually considering to sell my vita.

#53 FatBoyInside

FatBoyInside

Money costs too much

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:48 AM

I believe the Vita has a great library of games lined up for 2013 and with PS+, it is actually much more affordable to enjoy many highly acclaimed older titles. With the PS4 coming out and cross-play integration, Vita will have a lot of potential to complement your next-gen gaming and multimedia needs. I own both systems and the Vita wowed me more.

Monthly Lowball Sale is over for now.  Crazy deals await you next month so tune back, then. 

animePSP2.jpg