Diablo 3 Pc $40 bucks!

While it's not a terrible deal, you're going to probably get some hate since it has been $10 at a few retailers in the past (Microsoft Store, Toys-R-Us) and also still has gameplay mechanics some people don't agree with such as the RMAH and always-online DRM.

[quote name='jshackles']While it's not a terrible deal, you're going to probably get some hate since it has been $10 at a few retailers in the past (Microsoft Store, Toys-R-Us) and also still has gameplay mechanics some people don't agree with such as the RMAH and always-online DRM.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I got it for $10 in the TRU Blowout.

I wish they'd patch-out the always-online DRM. You easily can get through the game all by your lonesome self, in your first run-through.
Plus, NPC companions actually banter a lot and there's plenty of audio/written lore, as well.

[quote name='deathfromace']While I enjoyed Diablo 3 I say just play Path of Exile as it's better and free[/QUOTE]

What D3 really needs is an offline mode (especially since it looks like PS3 version will get this); and tons of more unique skills.

As it is - D3 lacks skills and unique character builds.
Especially since we can't manipulate the stat-numbers for characters at level-up like in D1 + D2; and Torchlight 1 + 2.

If they won't let us manipulate the numbers, we need WAY more skills!
But honestly - they should allow those who want to manipulate the numbers to do so.

And yes - Torchlight 2 is better than D3.

While I did enjoy the game I felt it lacked quite a few things to make me keep playing it, I mostly played it for the story and lore. If you REALLY want it I say go ahead and get it for this price, otherwise wait till $29.99 or lower.

What sells the awesomeness of this thread is the exclamation point in the subject line.

(And didn't the world thoroughly bury this game under the category of "Do Not Want" once it was decided two weeks after its release that it was not a worthy successor to Diablo II ?)

[quote name='Bizzquik']And didn't the world thoroughly bury this game under the category of "Do Not Want" once it was decided two weeks after its release that it was not a worthy successor to Diablo II ?)[/QUOTE]
I guess so, but I enjoyed the game plenty enough. Played about 100 hours total, which is way more time I usually spend on a single game.

Basically the game sucks for anyone that was hardcore D2 player. ;)

Pretty sure I bought it for 44.99 on the day it was released from newegg.

Several years later this game shouldnt be selling for more than 19.99

People would be better off buying Torchlight 2

[quote name='Punisher138']haters gon hate[/QUOTE]

It's more pity for anyone who shelled out more than $10 for it.

[quote name='wolve']I guess so, but I enjoyed the game plenty enough. Played about 100 hours total, which is way more time I usually spend on a single game.

Basically the game sucks for anyone that was hardcore D2 player. ;)[/QUOTE]

If you enjoyed it, that's all that matters. :)

As for me, I've never played any of the Diablo's. I'm a console gamer. I was interested in trying it on PC, but all I've heard from haters is that Torchlight II was better than Diablo III - so I'm waiting for the console version of Torchlight II.

I would really like to know what the monthly "number of units sold" figures have been like for Diablo III after the first few months of launch. Aside from the ToysRUs "every PC game must go" excitement from last year, I don't think we've seen any big Diablo III sales - isn't $39.99 at Target and Best Buy it?
I mean, is it selling well, and its only a very vocal minority who are angry with it? Or has the criticism hurt its word of mouth, and we're just not seeing a price drop because of Blizzard's stubborn pride? I have no idea...

[quote name='Bizzquik']If you enjoyed it, that's all that matters. :)

As for me, I've never played any of the Diablo's. I'm a console gamer. I was interested in trying it on PC, but all I've heard from haters is that Torchlight II was better than Diablo III - so I'm waiting for the console version of Torchlight II.
[/quote]

If you want Torchlight 2 on consoles, that might not happen...at least not anytime soon.

I would really like to know what the monthly "number of units sold" figures have been like for Diablo III after the first few months of launch. Aside from the ToysRUs "every PC game must go" excitement from last year, I don't think we've seen any big Diablo III sales - isn't $39.99 at Target and Best Buy it?
I mean, is it selling well, and its only a very vocal minority who are angry with it? Or has the criticism hurt its word of mouth, and we're just not seeing a price drop because of Blizzard's stubborn pride? I have no idea...
I got no clue how many copies D3 PC sold so far, in total currently.
We knew it did around 10 million copies, by Nov 2012.

We know D3 sold VERY well upon initial release, as its one of the fastest selling PC launches of all time...

...but it's gotten TONS of backlash from Diablo fans for not being as amazing as D2; game doesn't seem as randomized as D2; there's (unnecessary) always online DRM in D3; RMAH exists; the mainstreaming of the game (removing stat-number upgrading); and consolization of the game (not too many things to put on your hotbar); Jay Wilson made a comment to David Brevik (one of the original Diablo creators); and other things.

[quote name='MysterD']If you want Torchlight 2 on consoles, that might not happen...at least not anytime soon.

I got no clue how many copies D3 PC sold so far, in total currently.
We knew it did around 10 million copies, by Nov 2012.

We know D3 sold VERY well upon initial release, as its one of the fastest selling PC launches of all time...

...but it's gotten TONS of backlash from Diablo fans for not being as amazing as D2; game doesn't seem as randomized as D2; there's (unnecessary) always online DRM in D3; RMAH exists; the mainstreaming of the game (removing stat-number upgrading); and consolization of the game (not too many things to put on your hotbar); Jay Wilson made a comment to David Brevik (one of the original Diablo creators); and other things.[/QUOTE]

What exactly is people's problem with the RMAH? I haven't played it in a long time, so I have no idea what changes they made to it, but it didn't seem like a bad idea.

[quote name='Bizzquik']If you enjoyed it, that's all that matters. :)

[/QUOTE]

It is definitely a very loud minority. Sure it isn't D2 but most of the D2 guys are long gone from Blizzard so not surprising in the least. In a vacuum it is a good game, but it isn't and D2 deserved a great sequel that passionate fans waited years for. Just even having a proper offline mode would have gone a long way for me.

As for prices, Blizzard/Activision take a long time to drop prices on their games. The $10 TRU sale was because they were selling off all their PC games (not just D3) so not a normal sale. D3 for $40 is hard to say. I got my $60 worth on release for sure but now there are some options that weren't there before such as TL2 and PoE. Those might be better options for your mindless after work click kill fest.

[quote name='spoderman']Not worth it. I paid $10 during the Microsoft Store clearance and it was barely worth that.[/QUOTE]

OT, but your sig/avatar made me laugh out loud - twice! :applause:

While $40 may not be the best price, the $10 clearance price at TrU was a one time thing. At least post actual reasons for not liking it, not "it was $10 that one time!" The always on DRM sucks, but many of the other aspects of the game have been improved and Blizz is still patching it to make it even better.

I wouldnt play anything near that much for D3. I own both D3 and Torchlight 1-2 AND have played through D2 and would never have paid the $50 I paid at launch. I wouldnt have even paid $10. I hate regretting my purchases but D3 forced that feeling on me. Took a lot of get over such a disappointment. The story wasnt even worth waiting for. Sad really.

[quote name='MysterD']What D3 really needs is an offline mode (especially since it looks like PS3 version will get this)[/QUOTE]
Who plays Diablo offline? Why...? Playing it without co-op would be very boring.

[quote name='Josh1billion']Who plays Diablo offline? Why...? Playing it without co-op would be very boring.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for opening this can of worms.

When Blizzard goes away (if that happens - probably not anytime soon) and/or they decide to ever pull their servers away, you're stuck w/ a coaster.
This is pretty much true for any game that goes "Always online DRM" or decides to go full-blown MMO.

When D3 is in maintenance mode, you can't play.
If there's problems w/ Blizz's servers for D3, you can't play.
If you are having Internet connection troubles on your end, you can't play.

I played through fine w/out co-op period for D3. Played ALL alone on my first run-through purposely. {shrug}
If you can play through a game no problem w/out anybody else playing w/ you, the game should have an offline mode.
It's pretty much as simple as that.

D1 + D2 can be played offline, so why not D3?
Torchlight 1 + 2; Borderlands 1; and Hellgate: London all work fine in offline mode.
Blizz could disable RMAH and other unimportant stuff to SP-players (Achievements) in offline mode, if they really wanted.
To keep cheaters and hacking down - they could force like D2, where offline and online (BNet) characters are separate.
Plus - since PS3 version is getting offline mode, not having offline mode for PC is absolutely bullcrap.

And yes - it's fun to play w/ others online for D3, as well. I've tried that, as well.

EDIT:
[quote name='z3razerviper']some of us just don't care about multiplayer I play games for the story[/QUOTE]
Exactly.

Playing alone, it is MUCH easier to digest any sort of story, lore, and NPC banter at your own pace - which is one of the things that actually makes D3 the most "SP-friendly" game out of the series.
It sure isn't the (always online) DRM that's SP-friendly at all here!
Of course, as we know - D2 + LOD is still the best entry in the Diablo series, if you ask me.

When doing MP and playing w/ other players - you're usually focusing more on the gameplay & teamwork w/ others than say "Lore" and "Story" stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Our big deal with it was we wanted to play local offline lan co op, like we did with Diablo 2, and we couldn't. And we sure were not going to spend $100 for the D3 experience.

bread's done
Back