Photo
- - - - -

Is the game industry headed for failure?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:45 PM

THIS is considered failure? I thought THQ's need to sell 2 million was bad.

http://www.eurogamer...it-expectations

#2 iamsmart

iamsmart

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:09 PM

http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=340751

#3 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:20 PM

http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=340751

Too bad that topic is about someone stepping down...

#4 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:28 PM

Maybe it is more a statement that AAA gaming is an unsustainable business model. Personally, if AAA gaming went away, I wouldn't be crying much.
Posted Image

#5 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:34 PM

I went and read the other thread. While my topic. Is not that topic, that thread was hijacked to this topic so I could have posted there i suppose.

Maybe it is more a statement that AAA gaming is an unsustainable business model. Personally, if AAA gaming went away, I wouldn't be crying much.

I think people want AAA games but they're expensive. I think we just need a lot less AAA games. Not every game can try to be an AAA game. Gamers don't have the money. THQ's failure shows mid level games are a failure also. That means the industry will have to turn into piles of $20 low budget small games and a few huge AAA $60 games each year. Maybe this is why Pachter is predicting the coming gen to be the final gen for game consoles.

#6 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:42 PM

THQ's failure shows mid level games are a failure also.

THQ fell because of poor management, not because of mid-level titles.
Posted Image

#7 matrix9280

matrix9280

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:25 PM

What the heck is an AAA game?

#8 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:39 PM

Didn't Bioshock Infinite cost $200 million? That's like an S rank, instead of AAA.

#9 Mr Unoriginal

Mr Unoriginal

Cheap Amish Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:48 PM

What the heck is an AAA game?

It's a game made by the Automobile Association of America.

Its too bad you're still a prick with a stupid gimmick.

#10 Mega Man

Mega Man

SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:51 PM

Games are just getting too fucking expensive to make. We should go back to 8 bit for a while

#11 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:22 PM

I'm guessing SE games probably have some of the most bloated budgets around due to poor management, which is why 3.4 million failed to meet expectations. I think the game's been in development since 2008, before SE bought Eidos, right?

Currently playing: 

:wiiu: Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - :D

:vita: Uncharted: Golden Abyss - :)

:ps3: Zone of the Enders HD - :-|

fyreboltx.png
║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related GoodiesWantlist

#12 panzerfaust

panzerfaust

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:46 PM

Hopefully we get a few more before they realize they can't sustain them!

#13 j-cart

j-cart

PAPER TRAILS on a mountain

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:27 PM

It is going to take a publisher to figure out how to make high quality games with less of a budget. Think along the lines of someone making a video game version of District 9. All the bells and whistles that screams a big budget game but without the big budget.

As for if the gaming industry is heading for a fail? No. You'll see a lot less games, but the gaming industry is not going anywhere. There is still plenty of money to be made in gaming.

#14 ElwoodCuse

ElwoodCuse

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:59 AM

Didn't Bioshock Infinite cost $200 million? That's like an S rank, instead of AAA.

not a chance. That's like twice what people estimated GTA4 cost to make.
But when his drinking and lusting and his hunger for power became known to more and more people, the demands to do something about this outrageous man became louder and louder.

#15 The Crotch

The Crotch

I was famous and I was powerful.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:08 AM

$200 million was a rumour floating around a little while back; unsurprisingly, the developers scoffed at it.

Posted Image

#16 uncle5555

uncle5555

Grumpy Veteran CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:54 AM

"200 million for Infinite? Did someone send some checks to the wrong address?" via Twitter

http://www.destructo...et-249339.phtml

So yeah....no don't believe everything you read.

Someone posted on Gamespot I believe that FF13 took 2 years to do 3 million and SE considered it a success.

FF13-2 took 16 months to sell that much and it was considered a success.

Tomb Raider had 6 weeks to sell that much and is considered a failure.

Long story short when it comes to SE's own games they don't consider them failures even though they took 10 times as long to sell the same amount of copies as Tomb Raider. Hypocrites. :roll:
The CAG motto: "Maybe you'll luck out and get the game during a sale before it sells out, maybe not, that's the life of a CAG. Luck of the draw. And timing is everything."

#17 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 March 2013 - 05:39 PM

http://www.destructo...et-249339.phtml

So yeah....no don't believe everything you read.

Someone posted on Gamespot I believe that FF13 took 2 years to do 3 million and SE considered it a success.

FF13-2 took 16 months to sell that much and it was considered a success.

Tomb Raider had 6 weeks to sell that much and is considered a failure.

Long story short when it comes to SE's own games they don't consider them failures even though they took 10 times as long to sell the same amount of copies as Tomb Raider. Hypocrites. :roll:

But it is not just sales they are looking at. It is also based on userbase, development time, budget, marketing, and other things. Plus people who brought a game 12 months later are likely paying a lot less than the original MSRP.

My trade list: http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=42397

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#18 sanistasia

sanistasia

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:32 AM

I definitely think that mismanagement and stupid budgeting is more of the problem than AAA gaming itself. It's insane that Tomb Raider is considered a failure, I think SE just needs to change their expectations.

#19 Vap

Vap

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:00 AM

Maybe they shouldn't waste their money on pointless MP that no one wanted to begin with.

#20 waldo21212

waldo21212

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:03 AM

Maybe they shouldn't waste their money on pointless MP that no one wanted to begin with.

But if you don't jam in pointless multi-player, then how can you have an online pass?

Unless, that is, you pull a Warner Bros (I'm looking at you Arkham City).

#21 kill3r7

kill3r7

MiNd ThE GaP

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:28 AM

Sure you would. Most of the funding from other projects comes from AAA titles. Not to even mention the fact that a publicly traded company needs to have a few successful AAA titles.

#22 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:30 PM

Sure you would. Most of the funding from other projects comes from AAA titles. Not to even mention the fact that a publicly traded company needs to have a few successful AAA titles.

That's not the case for indies and mid-tier independent publishers like Atlus who don't even make such games in the first place. That said, though I would be sad at the potential loss of a couple of franchises, I wouldn't miss AAA games in general much either.
sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

:-({|=  The Video Game Soundtrack Deals Thread ~ Where and how to buy game music online. Oh, and deals, too!
:whee: PAX Prime 2014 Thread ~ It's that time again!

#23 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:38 PM

I'd miss AAA games. The cream of the crop out of them are as good as it gets in gaming IMO.

I want top line graphics, voice acting, story, gameplay, controls etc. if I'm going to set aside the time to play through a game. Hard to bring all that together without a pretty sizable budget these days.

Indie and mid-tier publishers just can't pull off something on the scale of the Mass Effect games or Bioshock or Gears of War or Halo or Uncharted etc. which are the types of games that still have me gaming.

To me, the problem isn't those games its that too many publishers focus on every game reaching that level and aren't doing as great a job making cheaper games more targeted to the niche of hardcore gamers where they can make profits by selling fewer copies of games that cost them much less to make than the blockbuster titles.

#24 jkam

jkam

Smash It Up

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:25 PM

I think next gen should be a bit different as development for all the consoles\PC will be fairly streamlined and easier to develop for as it sounds like everything will be mainly PC based. That should cut out some cost. In the case of Tomb Raider it has to be mismanagement. If you sell 3.4 million of anything you should be making a profit. Lame.

jkam2.png

Quitter (My Band)    -    Trade List    -    Join Bing Rewards

#25 dothog

dothog

n ur race snakin mai kart

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:20 PM

It has to be. I heard Bioshock Infinite cost upwards of $300 million.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#26 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:30 PM

It has to be. I heard Bioshock Infinite cost upwards of $300 million.

Levine said it cost $100 m to make, and another $100 m to market. I honestly can't imagine the game cost more than that. At $100 m, would be one of the most expensive games to develop.

Currently playing: 

:wiiu: Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - :D

:vita: Uncharted: Golden Abyss - :)

:ps3: Zone of the Enders HD - :-|

fyreboltx.png
║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related GoodiesWantlist

#27 kill3r7

kill3r7

MiNd ThE GaP

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:13 PM

That's not the case for indies and mid-tier independent publishers like Atlus who don't even make such games in the first place. That said, though I would be sad at the potential loss of a couple of franchises, I wouldn't miss AAA games in general much either.

The industry needs AAA franchises (system movers) to generate interest, hype and media interest. If the big 3 are not selling tons of systems then there is very little reason for them to be in the business. Folks tend to forget how much money M$, Sony and Nintendo make from AAA franchises, not only the games themselves but the special edition consoles and accessories. If you don't see how the elimination of AAA titles hurts the industry then you can't see the forest for the trees.

Edited by kill3r7, 01 April 2013 - 08:35 PM.

#28 Corvin

Corvin

...of Gilead

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:24 PM

But it is not just sales they are looking at. It is also based on userbase, development time, budget, marketing, and other things. Plus people who brought a game 12 months later are likely paying a lot less than the original MSRP.

That just plays into his point though. By that regard both FF games should be considered failures since most bought them cheap. TR on the other hand should be considered a raging success since it sold better than those in a month at full price vs. years.

#29 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:35 PM

The industry needs AAA franchises (system movers) to generate interest, hype and media relevance. If the big 3 are not selling tons of systems then there is very little reason for them to be in the business. Folks tend to forget how much money M$, Sony and Nintendo make from AAA franchises, not only the games themselves but the special edition consoles and accessories. If you don't see how the elimination of AAA titles hurts the industry then you can't see the forest for the trees.

But... that's just console games. As with AAA games, it wouldn't bother me much if consoles as we know them went away. PC and mobile are outstanding platforms for a lot of gamers, both hardcore and casual. Nowadays, most of the AAA games in my household (and many, many others besides) are played on PC, usually via Steam; our 360 primarily serves as a glorified DVD player.

The best thing to happen to console games would be for them to all use a standard format. For starters, it would reduce development costs for multiplatform games, especially the big-budged ones. Realistically, though, I don't see it happening for a long time, if at all (main reason: Nintendo). In the meantime, stuff like the Steam Box and Ouya might shake things up. Time will tell.
sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

:-({|=  The Video Game Soundtrack Deals Thread ~ Where and how to buy game music online. Oh, and deals, too!
:whee: PAX Prime 2014 Thread ~ It's that time again!

#30 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:46 PM

The game industry is too large to fail at this point. It no longer depends on the success of a few large companies. MS, Sony and Nintendo could all go belly-up tomorrow and there would still be TONS of games being released from indie and mid-level developers on a ton of different devices.

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---