Photo
- - - - -

Is the game industry headed for failure?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#31 kill3r7

kill3r7

MiNd ThE GaP

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:57 PM

But... that's just console games. As with AAA games, it wouldn't bother me much if consoles as we know them went away. PC and mobile are outstanding platforms for a lot of gamers, both hardcore and casual. Nowadays, most of the AAA games in my household (and many, many others besides) are played on PC, usually via Steam; our 360 primarily serves as a glorified DVD player.

The best thing to happen to console games would be for them to all use a standard format. For starters, it would reduce development costs for multiplatform games, especially the big-budged ones. Realistically, though, I don't see it happening for a long time, if at all (main reason: Nintendo). In the meantime, stuff like the Steam Box and Ouya might shake things up. Time will tell.

The PC vs console argument greatly depends on your playing style. If you plan to do a lot of gaming with your friends or family (co-op) PC gaming is not ideal. Also, personally I spent a ton of time staring a computer screen while at work. So, I have no desire to do the same when I get home.

That said, I agree with Javery that the industry is simply too big to fail. I love AAA titles because more often than not they show off the best that gaming has to offer. Developers have to figure out how to better manage their costs or modify their business model to accommodate their rising costs... figure out how to get more money from us (consumers).
Xecutioner
CML

#32 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:04 PM

The PC vs console argument greatly depends on your playing style. If you plan to do a lot of gaming with your friends or family (co-op) PC gaming is not ideal. Also, personally I spent a ton of time staring a computer screen while at work. So, I have no desire to do the same when I get home.

I'm in the market for a new computer and I've never played games on the PC before but a friend was telling me it is really easy to use Steam and a 360 controller on your HDTV in the living room. I would assume there are co-op and split screen multiplayer options.

I need to look into it a little bit because I don't know how it works but it sounds pretty cool - especially since a lot of PC games are outperforming consoles at this point in the current generation.

That said, I agree with Javery that the industry is simply too big to fail. I love AAA titles because more often than not they show off the best that gaming has to offer. Developers have to figure out how to better manage their costs or modify their business model to accommodate their rising costs... figure out how to get more money from us (consumers).

I'm with you on the love for AAA games - my gaming time is limited so I tend to try to play the games that everyone raves about. I think companies are offsetting costs by releasing annual updates to popular franchises. I have to assume it costs WAY less to develop the next Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty or Madden than if you were trying a new IP from scratch or developing a game in a series once every 3-5 years ala Nintendo... it's a balancing act for sure.

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#33 Dezuria

Dezuria

Loading, please wait...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:20 PM

I remember when games were just games. Who came up with this whole "AAA" game thing?

#34 kill3r7

kill3r7

MiNd ThE GaP

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:31 PM

I'm in the market for a new computer and I've never played games on the PC before but a friend was telling me it is really easy to use Steam and a 360 controller on your HDTV in the living room. I would assume there are co-op and split screen multiplayer options.

I need to look into it a little bit because I don't know how it works but it sounds pretty cool - especially since a lot of PC games are outperforming consoles at this point in the current generation.

This sounds promising. I am going to need to look more into it.

EDIT: Big Picture (Steam) is how it is done. All you need is an HDMI cable (although I guess you can use a wireless service but I'm sure you will run into some signal degradation) running from your computer to the TV.
Xecutioner
CML

#35 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:19 PM

PC gaming holds no appeal to me at all. I don't want a PC in my living room adding further clutter and wires to my home theater, and I'm not going to sit at a desk to game after spending hours upon hours tied to the PC for work all week.

Mobile games have their place, but I'll never get the gaming experience on my iPhone or iPad that I can get playing a console with a nice controller hooked up to my 55" TV.

I remember when games were just games. Who came up with this whole "AAA" game thing?

I've been gaming for roughly 25 years and the AAA moniker has been around as long as I can remember reading game magazines, and definitely since gaming forums popped up in the mid 90s on when the internet really took off.

From at least the SNES/Genesis era on there's always been bigger budget, super hyped games that even the less serious gamers were excited about and that's what people mean with the AAA label. It just carries more sway now that gaming is more main stream and there are so many people who only play big franchise games like Madden (and other EA sports titles), CoD etc. on top of the hardcores who play some of those plus a lot of smaller, more niche market type games.

#36 soulvengeance

soulvengeance

Beating dead horses

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:44 PM

PC gaming holds no appeal to me at all. I don't want a PC in my living room adding further clutter and wires to my home theater, and I'm not going to sit at a desk to game after spending hours upon hours tied to the PC for work all week.

Mobile games have their place, but I'll never get the gaming experience on my iPhone or iPad that I can get playing a console with a nice controller hooked up to my 55" TV.

With Steam Big Screen mode, what you essentially have is a console with more power. It really shouldn't require any more connections then your average console.
mytradelist:
http://www.cheapassg...864#post2614864

Calls this what you may, but I would say that Blacks actually benefited from the slavery. Comparing the current lives of many African Americans to Africans, one can see that the former live in much better conditions with greater freedoms and opportunities.

#37 Thomas96

Thomas96

I am Thomaticus!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:02 AM

Games are just getting too fucking expensive to make. We should go back to 8 bit for a while

That scott pilgram game should serve as proof that some 8bit style games can sell well.
Posted Image

#38 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:16 AM

With Steam Big Screen mode, what you essentially have is a console with more power. It really shouldn't require any more connections then your average console.

The current issue is that all 4 HDMI ports on my receiver are taken and my TV stand shelves are full.

Just moot for me. I'll get one console at most next gen--either the next X-box or PS4 depending on exclusives I want after a price drop or two--and that will be it. Well that and the 3DS I got recently.

I don't game enough to have multiple consoles anymore and doubt I'll ever care enough to hassle with a gaming PC. I don't care about having cutting edge graphics etc. I've always been fine having a console for 5+ years and never cared that PC games were pushing graphics further.

Maybe a steam box or something--but then you're basically just talking a console that happens to play PC games.

#39 MasaTFC

MasaTFC

Germany 2014 FIFA World Cup Champions!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:50 AM

That scott pilgram game should serve as proof that some 8bit style games can sell well.

well heres the problem with that and with the modern industry- DLC.

I liked the SP game alot, its fun and all. but I am not paying to access online multiplayer for it. DLC is really killing the idea of making a game and releasing it as a complete game to ride on its on merits. Its why games that are AAA titles are sent out and jacked up with bugs. Cash talks in the valley, and the way games are made and sent out is what is killing the industry. Not every goddamn game needs DLC, or "online multiplayer" (looking at you tomb raider) and I am sorry but DLC shouldn't be an extra multiplayer mode that if the game sat in development for 3 months longer couldve been included instead of piece-mealed out. But the games need to come out so whoever can make their money asap, and since some people just like throwing money at whatever comes out with "insert franchise name here", the industry will stop caring about relasing a quality product to begin with because it can always be improved on with Month 1 DLC or whatever.

I am old enough to remember waiting for a game to come out, and being more than satisfied with the final product (FFIII, Chrono Trigger amongst others. And I also remember when DLC was actually an expansion pack and not some garbage "bonus levels" for some lame excuse for mulitplayer. those days are long gone, and too bad for me:drool:

day one dlc will kill the industry as it stood last generation (which was awesome, so go ahead and think of some shit to talk on PS2. I'll wait).

But on the flipside (and back to the comment I quoted) Konami can add the Japanese Saturn levels to Castlevania SOTN and all will be right. There should be more games that great.

"The Absence of Evidence Is Not The Evidence of Absence"

Updated List- Come Buy My Stuff Cheap!