Photo
* * * * * 34 votes

PSN Weekly Deals - 8/27: PAX Indie Sale, DJ Hero/2/GH Sale, Spelunky $11.99, Pinballistik is Free!, and Machinarium Vita Free for PS+!

PSN PlayStation Network PlayStation Store PS3 PlayStation 3 Vita PSP PlayStation Plus PS+

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12413 replies to this topic

#1261 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:29 AM

Yes I got the bundle and it still shows Borderlands 1 expiring when my Ps+ expires. I hope they fix it...

Check your download list and make sure that it shows up next to Borderlands 2 without an expiration date next to it. If it's there without a date, it'll be fine. When the version with the PS+ date expires, it'll just check whether you have a license for it the next time you start it up and update it for the fact that you own it. If you're really OCD about it, delete the game and redownload it and it should have no expiration date on it then.

You read it. You can't unread it.

Horror Chicken: F.E.A.R. and Resident Evil 4

PSN/XBL: CrashSpyro | Steam: CrashTanuki | Wii U: FriendlyTanuki

#1262 breakfuss

breakfuss

Pam Oliver Sex Tape

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:38 AM

Houston, we have a problem! I did not receive my $10!

#1263 Jack_Frost

Jack_Frost

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:41 AM

Houston, it's not the 12th

#1264 breakfuss

breakfuss

Pam Oliver Sex Tape

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:51 AM

Houston, it's not the 12th

San Antonio, you just got trolled.

Also, I just deleted Demon's Souls from my HDD. Goodbye, and good riddance!!! Only masochists need apply. ;) And, EU+, we love you!!! One day we shall all be equally judged by the content of our IGC, and not by the division of our Sony.

#1265 Jack_Frost

Jack_Frost

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:54 AM

sure I did

#1266 Seraphinianus

Seraphinianus

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:08 AM

Thanks. Picked up Borderlands 1 & 2 Bundle for $20.
This 1 month free PSN plus card has come in handier than expected!!

imagine what a whole year is like ;)

Plus pays for itself in a month or two usually

Also, I just deleted Demon's Souls from my HDD. Goodbye, and good riddance!!! Only masochists need apply. ;) And, EU+, we love you!!! One day we shall all be equally judged by the content of our IGC, and not by the division of our Sony.

why would you admit that in public

#1267 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:17 AM

I don't understand the need for the deliberately useless and annoying posts in this thread that so many people love to provide us with.
x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png
[img=http://steamsigs.com/steam.php?id=genocidal&pngimg=http://i.imgur.com/fLZMY.png&tborder=0.png

If I would go back in time, the one person in history I'd like to make tap out would have to be... Jesus

#1268 breakfuss

breakfuss

Pam Oliver Sex Tape

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:32 AM

I don't understand the need for the deliberately useless and annoying posts in this thread that so many people love to provide us with.

Welllllll, to be fair, Geno (...can I call you that?), my post was only half useless since I did in fact check for the rebate today. Sorry for the pathetic attempt at levity in an otherwise super disciplined thread. Games be serious business!

why would you admit that in public

No shame over here. Maybe there others who are afraid to speak out. Sure the game has its merits, but it just isn't for everyone.

#1269 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:37 AM

I don't really believe the notion that Demon's Souls is only for masochists, as you can clearly see from my "expert" video in the OP. I just took my time and made sure I wasn't running into trouble without protecting myself and I got through the first boss fight without much trouble. I didn't die once in that entire first level using that same basic strategy along with help from the notes on the floor that are all around to give you hints.

#1270 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:55 AM

I know this isn't a digital code, but Best Buy is the only place I know of that sells PSN money of $10. These cards can be bought in-store and when I do buy PSN stuff I usually get these as there's not often enough I want to warrant a $20 card.

http://www.bestbuy.c...twork&cp=1&lp=6

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes, Stitcher Radio, or YouTube.
42869.png

#1271 breakfuss

breakfuss

Pam Oliver Sex Tape

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:05 AM

I don't really believe the notion that Demon's Souls is only for masochists, as you can clearly see from my "expert" video in the OP. I just took my time and made sure I wasn't running into trouble without protecting myself and I got through the first boss fight without much trouble. I didn't die once in that entire first level using that same basic strategy along with help from the notes on the floor that are all around to give you hints.

I get this game's angle. I totally get it. And per everyone's advice, I approached the first level as cautiously and meticulously as possible. I blocked and parried at every corner. Read all the messages left behind, etc. But, when I approaced what appeared to be the end of the stage, and was instakilled by some...thing...then sent back to the very beginning.... I was like: LOLNOOOOOOOOOOOOPE. I just can't see how that's fun.

#1272 jay_remedy

jay_remedy

Mila Kunis >

• Banned

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:15 AM

I get this game's angle. I totally get it. And per everyone's advice, I approached the first level as cautiously and meticulously as possible. I blocked and parried at every corner. Read all the messages left behind, etc. But, when I approaced what appeared to be the end of the stage, and was instakilled by some...thing...then sent back to the very beginning.... I was like: LOLNOOOOOOOOOOOOPE. I just can't see how that's fun.

I'm guessing you went the wrong way and met Mr. Red Knight.

jayremedy.png29kwg3s.gif

sig.gif

#1273 CheapShep

CheapShep

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:29 AM

I was browsing the UK webstore earlier and saw the PS Plus 15 months deal is still available to purchase, can anyone confirm if buying it nets you 15 months and if redeeming a 1 year Plus code does the same?

#1274 affa

affa

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:49 AM

well, a couple things.
1) almost every game in existence has death. even in pac-man, when you die, you start over.
but...
2) you get better. a level that took you 20 minutes to go through 'in the dark' takes 10 minutes the second time, and 5 minutes if you need to do it a third time.
3) you likely ran into an enemy that you need to avoid. so... avoid him? i mean, if you run into an enemy in a turn based rpg that one hit kills you, you learn to go another direction for awhile. same principle.

ultimately, the reason so many of us absolutely love Demon's Souls is that we took the time to get past that initial hurdle, and everything clicked. the vast majority of people that 'don't like it' seem to give up right away, and never give it the chance to click.

i realize not all games are for all people -- a casual gamer that only likes tetris won't like DS... but if you're a well-rounded gamer and have experience in many genres, then odds are you -will- like DS if you actually give it a chance.

but yea, if you quit the first time you die... you won't like it. not really a surprise. i especially don't understand why someone would go into a game that they've been warned they're going to die in, and quit as soon as they die. everybody dies. we know. but if you're curious as to why it's beloved, it's because we got over it and kept digging in.

#1275 kitsunisan

kitsunisan

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:05 AM

When I first bought Demon's Souls, I spent two hours in Boletaria not getting anywhere. I thought I understood the mechanics, watched my fatigue, went slow, the whole nine, but I kept getting my ass kicked. I don't know what happened, but after I put it down for a few days out of sheer frustration, when I went back to it everything seemed to make sense to me, and I managed to work my way down to the phalanx without any real problems(except Fuck those blue eyed knights). It's pretty much like affa said, at some point something clicks for you and you see what you've been doing wrong, and make that big adjustment. Just keep your shield up at all times, go slow and check your corners when entering a room.

#1276 dchrisd

dchrisd

F.U. Rosalina! ~ Daisy <3

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:11 AM

I'm not a hardcore gamer, and usually play games on normal or easy, but I absolutely loved Demon's Souls. I was really bothered at first by the same thing you're talking about, but after awhile, everything just clicks and the game becomes really satisfying. Just give it more time, and if an enemy is too difficult, don't hesitate to run, and proceed in a different direction, coming back after you developed better strategies and gotten a little more familiar with the game.

Edit re difficulty: People like to say this game is difficult and hard, but it really isn't. Most of the time, if you die, its because you messed up. That's what I like most about it. So, don't approach it as a hard game that you need to proceed slowly and carefully, approach it as a game that rewards good fighting and strategies.
Posted Image

#1277 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:37 AM

I was browsing the UK webstore earlier and saw the PS Plus 15 months deal is still available to purchase, can anyone confirm if buying it nets you 15 months and if redeeming a 1 year Plus code does the same?

You'd have to use UK cards, but it should work fine.

The end of that first level loops right around to the beginning, so if you were at the end, you would have recognized where you were and saw that the big door/grey smoke door was now open so you could face the boss. There are some alternate paths that I got scared away from by notes saying not to go that way, so maybe you went down one of those paths.

Edited by FriskyTanuki, 11 April 2013 - 05:48 AM.

#1278 jay_remedy

jay_remedy

Mila Kunis >

• Banned

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:59 AM

The end of that first level loops right around to the beginning, so if you were at the end, you would have recognized where you were and saw that the big door/grey smoke door was now open so you could face the boss. There are some alternate paths that I got scared away from by notes saying not to go that way, so maybe you went down one of those paths.

I'm pretty sure he fought the red knight, that's the only enemy I can think of in that level that can one shot you. The only other one is Executioner Miralda but I doubt he would think that's the end of the level.

jayremedy.png29kwg3s.gif

sig.gif

#1279 TooPoor

TooPoor

∀ Game, ∃ Buy Price

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:26 AM

Since we are talking about Demon's Souls again. I must say thanks to all the wonderful CAGs who gave me valuable advice. I am absolutely addicted to the game now. I just fought 1-1, 2-1 and 3-1, I am grinding a little on 4-1 now. Hopefully work clears out next week and I can beat 4-1 then go to 1-2.

I died a lot. Thankfully patience is not a problem for me.

Mathematically Correct.

Use factual statements, logical deductions, mathematical calculations and objective analysis; not rage.

My Trade List

NI_YA_SHA_BI.png

#1280 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:32 AM

So I've figured out the whole gift thing for Guacamelee that confused some of you earlier on the web store.

This is the banner on the very front page of the web store:

And here is the smaller banner in the front page of the games section of the web store:

So they basically shortened "Get the PS Vita Version Free!" to "Get a Gift!" for the smaller banner, which is sort of a disingenuous way to rephrase it because it makes it seem like some other bonus is included besides the PS3/Vita versions of the game.

#1281 jay_remedy

jay_remedy

Mila Kunis >

• Banned

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:46 AM

Since we are talking about Demon's Souls again. I must say thanks to all the wonderful CAGs who gave me valuable advice. I am absolutely addicted to the game now. I just fought 1-1, 2-1 and 3-1, I am grinding a little on 4-1 now. Hopefully work clears out next week and I can beat 4-1 then go to 1-2.

I died a lot. Thankfully patience is not a problem for me.

I'd suggest just beating World 4 completely. 4-2 has some great soul farming places and the bosses aren't that hard compared to the rest of them.

jayremedy.png29kwg3s.gif

sig.gif

#1282 DesertLeo

DesertLeo

DontReadThis.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:50 AM

So I've figured out the whole gift thing for Guacamelee that confused some of you earlier on the web store.

This is the banner on the very front page of the web store:

And here is the smaller banner in the front page of the games section of the web store:

So they basically shortened "Get the PS Vita Version Free!" to "Get a Gift!" for the smaller banner, which is sort of a disingenuous way to rephrase it because it makes it seem like some other bonus is included besides the PS3/Vita versions of the game.

On that note, though, Guacamelee is SO GOOD HOLY SHIT.

#1283 Ayn

Ayn

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:46 AM

..Why do some people seem to get so upset when someone doesn't like Demon's Souls?

I think I've mentioned I've seen both sides of it though. It's one of those games that was initially frustrating for me, but after I put it away for a bit, then came back to it, more seemed to click.

But I can also see how a well-rounded gamer with experience would just want to put it to the side. It's not so much a hit against Demon's Souls as it is having so many other wonderful titles to play. I think that's why I ended up putting Demon's Souls to the side. It's easy to get immersed in (I think it does require a certain level of masochism), but I'm backlogged on so many other games out there..

I do think it's one of those PS3 games that, at the very least (especially when it's on the IGC on PSN) you really should try: One of the few great system exclusives.

#1284 thebytewasbit

thebytewasbit

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:31 PM

This is just my opinion, however it's kind of interesting how in some ways Demon's/Dark Souls is similar to DayZ...expect to die sooner or later! :lol:

In both games it usually happens moreso when you think you're a badass and get too cocky. For me personally I love that it adds that paranoia mechanic to the gameplay.

On another note I just noticed basically $20 for BOTH Borderlands games?! :hot:

#1285 MrNinjaSquirrel

MrNinjaSquirrel

Emo Blogger

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:54 PM

if anyone is picking up Borderlands, but doesn't plan on playing right away, I'd be interested in playing it again with New game+, as the my first run was single player. So if anyone wants to play some co op in a bit, hit me up:D

Hey, you look like you have a lot of money; how about donating some of it to my Extra Life drive?

#1286 sherlock2g

sherlock2g

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:00 PM

How is the Borderlands 1 DLC? I'm thinking about picking up 1 or 2 for $3.49.

#1287 Backlash

Backlash

www.thecoverproject.net

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:02 PM

I might have to pick up Borderlands 2 - I own it on disc but my PS3 is suddenly having lots of trouble reading discs for some reason and I don't want to stop playing it now. Does anyone know if saves from the disc version are recognized by the digital version? I am level 35 and on the last mission - argh!

#1288 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Proud New Lamp Owner!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:03 PM

How is the Borderlands 1 DLC? I'm thinking about picking up 1 or 2 for $3.49.

Zombie Island was my favorite. It, General Knoxx, and New Revolution are all worth playing through. Skip Moxxi's Underdome.

tylerh1701.png jTZR76M.png

Check out my CAG Blog! NEWEST POST (6/27/14): E3 Wrap Up - Nintendo & Final Thoughts

#1289 mpaullin

mpaullin

Cheap Ass Lunch-er

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:37 PM

Protip: People who don't like Demon's Souls are not necessarily looking to be convinced otherwise.

#1290 affa

affa

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:05 PM

..Why do some people seem to get so upset when someone doesn't like Demon's Souls?

I don't think people get 'upset', but the issue is few people ever just say something like 'Demon Souls just wasn't for me' or 'I generally play platformers and it wasn't my style' or 'the overall atmosphere freaked me out.' I don't have an issue with any complaint like that, because nothing is for everyone. I don't like most platformers, even the classics.

Rather, they often say things that simply aren't true (there aren't any checkpoints) or otherwise show a lack of understanding of the game that clearly shows they didn't put much time in before giving up. Or, worse, they insult fans (not always intentionally).

If I simply say Super Mario Brothers isn't my thing because i don't like platformers, people likely won't complain. But if I say 'I hate Super Mario brothers because it's too floaty and the level design is simplistic and when you die you have to start over and all you do is jump on things', people would get a bit more upset since it's overly biased (and generally incorrect) and shows a lack of understanding of genre mechanics.

With DS, you're dealing with a game many, many people feel is a contender for 'best of generation' and up there with 'best of all time'. We know how absolutely incredible the game is, but we also know it requires getting over that initial hurdle... and we also recognize that part of the reason it's so good is that very hurdle.

Most modern games hold your hand with tons of checkpoints, easy scum saving (reloading if the tiniest thing goes wrong), automaps, regenerating health, easy button mashing combat, and quest guide arrows... to the point that most modern games all but play themselves. Every new fan of DS is a potential customer of new games like DS, which is good for gaming.

It harks back to the days when games actually were challenging. So when people give up because it's too challenging, it's... kind of sad, for lack of a better word. Because it's not even that challenging, unless you try to play it like a modern game.

I totally recognize that no game is for everyone. And if DS isn't for you, that's fine. But if it's because of reasons that clearly show the person didn't put much time into it, then yea, people will come to it's defense.

Protip: People who don't like Demon's Souls are not necessarily looking to be convinced otherwise.

People like to talk about things they love.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: PSN, PlayStation Network, PlayStation Store, PS3, PlayStation 3, Vita, PSP, PlayStation Plus, PS+