Photo
* * * * * 34 votes

PSN Weekly Deals - 8/27: PAX Indie Sale, DJ Hero/2/GH Sale, Spelunky $11.99, Pinballistik is Free!, and Machinarium Vita Free for PS+!

PSN PlayStation Network PlayStation Store PS3 PlayStation 3 Vita PSP PlayStation Plus PS+

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12413 replies to this topic

#2281 Velo214

Velo214

Baby Lili is Here!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:51 AM

Def agree smaller companies can do patches asap. I am always reminded of EA and Doublefine and Brutal Legend game breaking bug. Tim Shafer even says he has a patch to fix the game (game save corrupts if you are higher than i think 78% game completion, so you have to finish last 22% of game/collectibles/etc in one sitting or it corrupts) but that EA said it would cost too much to push through the patch because no one is buying the game anymore anyway so why fix it. ugh. that just shows that companies like EA/Activision hate the consumer and arent in the gaming business to make good friends but are perfectly content selling broken games and being fine as long as they get some cash. i mean i know companies are all about cash, but that just scream f u to consumers. if only we as gamers/consumers had better memories.

Velo214.png
sig.gif

#2282 Menez

Menez

We were born to die.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:54 AM

In quite a few programming languages "%" is a mathematical operation called a modulus which divides by a number and returns the remainder. (ex. 4 % 3 would give a 1) so to calculate specific percentages a formula is often used.

You learn something new everyday :D

#2283 Yanksfan

Yanksfan

Cubs Fan Too :(

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:30 AM

Def agree smaller companies can do patches asap. I am always reminded of EA and Doublefine and Brutal Legend game breaking bug. Tim Shafer even says he has a patch to fix the game (game save corrupts if you are higher than i think 78% game completion, so you have to finish last 22% of game/collectibles/etc in one sitting or it corrupts) but that EA said it would cost too much to push through the patch because no one is buying the game anymore anyway so why fix it. ugh. that just shows that companies like EA/Activision hate the consumer and arent in the gaming business to make good friends but are perfectly content selling broken games and being fine as long as they get some cash. i mean i know companies are all about cash, but that just scream f u to consumers. if only we as gamers/consumers had better memories.

All valid, but lets not forget Microsoft/Sony (not sure which company is to blame here, or if it is both). They charge for these patches to ensure that companies are attempting to put the best product out initially (that is the official reason anyhow). But they could analyze some of these in a case by case situation and allow the patch to come through without cost to help their customers get a complete experience too.

MattNY.png

#2284 admiralvic

admiralvic

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:33 AM

All valid, but lets not forget Microsoft/Sony (not sure which company is to blame here, or if it is both). They charge for these patches to ensure that companies are attempting to put the best product out initially (that is the official reason anyhow). But they could analyze some of these in a case by case situation and allow the patch to come through without cost to help their customers get a complete experience too.

I am sure they could work something out / offer it for less, but that doesn't mean companies will spend the money to fix it in the first place.

so admiralvic is one of 7 people who has platted lost planet 2. and one of 4 people with 100% on spelunker hd. respect him even more

guys, you are talking to admiralvic about trophy acquisition, he is the exception.

#2285 TooPoor

TooPoor

∀ Game, ∃ Buy Price

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:40 AM

In quite a few programming languages "%" is a mathematical operation called a modulus which divides by a number and returns the remainder. (ex. 4 % 3 would give a 1) so to calculate specific percentages a formula is often used.

As true as this is, this wasn't the question that he was referring to.

The reasoning behind this is as follows. If the values such as attack power are already there, deriving a new value through formulas saves memory space, especially if it means a new field for every data structure. The downside is that computation is required every time that field is used (there are code/compiler optimizations to circumvent this though, which I won't elaborate due to space limitations). More importantly, as your character levels up, values such as hit rate must be scaled. Instead of storing a table that matches level to hit rate, attack, defense etc. the program can just give the formula and the code can compute these values dynamically. This second point is obviously not orthogonal to the first point, but serves the same purpose: more efficient code execution.

Mathematically Correct.

Use factual statements, logical deductions, mathematical calculations and objective analysis; not rage.

My Trade List

NI_YA_SHA_BI.png

#2286 ProfessorStotch

ProfessorStotch

The Undisputed CAG Champion

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:42 AM

I am sure they could work something out / offer it for less, but that doesn't mean companies will spend the money to fix it in the first place.

Reminds me of that developer for Fez who announced he wasn't releasing a patch because Microsoft wouldn't budge on their price to release it. Then Microsoft basically came out and (kind of) said they'd already offered to work with the devs to ensure the price wasn't what was stopping them. So I think Microsoft and Sony are definitely willing to work with these devs to make sure their games are up to acceptable standards.

ProfessorStotch.png
Check me out on Twitch!

My man Pharm fucks all night. Call him Super Mario, cuz he be layin' the pipe

#2287 Yanksfan

Yanksfan

Cubs Fan Too :(

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:01 AM

True, though from the scenario I was quoting, the developer had already spent the money in development to fix the issue. So the developer spent money, but the publisher/Sony or MS didn't work it out to get it released.

MattNY.png

#2288 pharmacrest

pharmacrest

#poppinpills

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:29 AM

As true as this is, this wasn't the question that he was referring to.

The reasoning behind this is as follows. If the values such as attack power are already there, deriving a new value through formulas saves memory space, especially if it means a new field for every data structure. The downside is that computation is required every time that field is used (there are code/compiler optimizations to circumvent this though, which I won't elaborate due to space limitations). More importantly, as your character levels up, values such as hit rate must be scaled. Instead of storing a table that matches level to hit rate, attack, defense etc. the program can just give the formula and the code can compute these values dynamically. This second point is obviously not orthogonal to the first point, but serves the same purpose: more efficient code execution.

cool thanks. That makes sense.

Tyler hates me. 

Wrencrest.png

#2289 jay_remedy

jay_remedy

Mila Kunis >

• Banned

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:57 AM

What's the over/under on how many questions there will be about opinions on RE games?

jayremedy.png29kwg3s.gif

sig.gif

#2290 Seraphinianus

Seraphinianus

Posted 23 April 2013 - 04:03 AM

I'm sure I could get used to it. I just dont want to go back to polygons. They are so bad and have not held up at all compared to sprites from the prior gens. And I like my large hd screen thanks. Lol

so I am obviously not a programmer but why can't they just use a %. Why the need for a formula? Seriously curious.

cool. i play the games not the graphics.

#2291 AzGoat

AzGoat

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2013 - 04:49 AM

never played GTA San Andres or vice city but i did play gta 3 on ps2 and loved it. Now is San Andres or vice city worth the 7.34 and 4.89 for the digital download??

#2292 Jacoblee23

Jacoblee23

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2013 - 04:51 AM

never played GTA San Andres or vice city but i did play gta 3 on ps2 and loved it. Now is San Andres or vice city worth the 7.34 and 4.89 for the digital download??

Absolutely.

#2293 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:47 AM

http://blog.us.plays...#comment-847697

There will also be Resident Evil DLC on sale alongside the games, though I don't know why they don't list that with the rest of it.

You read it. You can't unread it.

Horror Chicken: F.E.A.R. and Resident Evil 4

PSN/XBL: CrashSpyro | Steam: CrashTanuki | Wii U: FriendlyTanuki

#2294 chuckie88

chuckie88

Molder of Minds

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:40 AM

http://blog.us.plays...#comment-847697

There will also be Resident Evil DLC on sale alongside the games, though I don't know why they don't list that with the rest of it.

I thought this might be the case, I agree that it is odd that it isn't listed with everything else.

While I can't speak to San Andres, I've always loved Vice City. If you haven't played it before and have no problem playing older games it is easily worth $4.89. If you are even a minor fan of music and pop culture from the 1980's it should be a no-brainer. The soundtrack is top notch as is the voice cast (Ray Liotta, Tom Sizemore, William Fichtner, Dennis Hopper, Burt Reynolds, Danny Trejo, Gary Busey, Fairuza Balk, Jenna Jameson, etc.). In fact, I can't think of another pair of games with more Hollywood voice talent off the top of my head, (San Andres has plenty also). Of course, that doesn't mean much to some players but I just thought I'd include it.
-Trying to think of something creative.-

#2295 MrBonk

MrBonk

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:49 AM

XBLA Sale on RE stuff was lower last month. :( It was like 5$ for CVX and RE4 each.

#2296 pharmacrest

pharmacrest

#poppinpills

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:59 PM

If you have played neither Vice City nor San Andreas and can only play one, you should ask yourself what you like more. Do you like 80s or 90s pop culture better and which decade would you rather have a game world set in? Both games are great but Vice City created much more of a feeling of nostalgia for me. I also agree with one of the posters above that the voice acting was best in Vice City, but I might be jaded since I just enjoyed the 80s pop culture references more.

Also in Vice City the very first song you hear the first time you hop on the motorcycle (it was a bike right?) is one of the best songs of all time. Even if the guy who sang it was a pedophile... That song started Vice City just right.

Tyler hates me. 

Wrencrest.png

#2297 Zonic505

Zonic505

People read these?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:14 PM

So to celebrate the fact there's a Ratchet & Clank movie announced for 2015 (no, seriously.), Sony confirmed all the R&C games on PSN will be on sale next week as part of that PS All-Stars sale.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#2298 iamsmart

iamsmart

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:34 PM

If you have played neither Vice City nor San Andreas and can only play one, you should ask yourself what you like more. Do you like 80s or 90s pop culture better and which decade would you rather have a game world set in? Both games are great but Vice City created much more of a feeling of nostalgia for me. I also agree with one of the posters above that the voice acting was best in Vice City, but I might be jaded since I just enjoyed the 80s pop culture references more.

Also in Vice City the very first song you hear the first time you hop on the motorcycle (it was a bike right?) is one of the best songs of all time. Even if the guy who sang it was a pedophile... That song started Vice City just right.

I don't really think it's just a matter of pop culture taste... Vice City has a great setting and music, but San Andreas simply has more to do: a bigger world, more vehicles, more activities, etc. Really, all of the GTA games feel pretty old and stiff, but having just played VC and SA recently, I think the latter holds up alot better. If you recently played GTA 3 and enjoyed it then yeah, you'll probably enjoy VC just as much, but if it's been a while, you'll probably be put off by quite a few of the game's problems.

Also, I do believe that song you are referring to is no longer in the game. I know it's not in the iOS versions, and I think someone said the PSN version is the same way.

#2299 pharmacrest

pharmacrest

#poppinpills

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:56 PM

I don't really think it's just a matter of pop culture taste... Vice City has a great setting and music, but San Andreas simply has more to do: a bigger world, more vehicles, more activities, etc. Really, all of the GTA games feel pretty old and stiff, but having just played VC and SA recently, I think the latter holds up alot better. If you recently played GTA 3 and enjoyed it then yeah, you'll probably enjoy VC just as much, but if it's been a while, you'll probably be put off by quite a few of the game's problems.

Also, I do believe that song you are referring to is no longer in the game. I know it's not in the iOS versions, and I think someone said the PSN version is the same way.

Well that sucks. Oh well, then maybe San Andreas is the better choice for today's gamer. I still think an 80s child would love the atmosphere in Vice City. I just bought it through the psn sale so I will check it out soon.

Tyler hates me. 

Wrencrest.png

#2300 affa

affa

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:47 PM

I'm sure I could get used to it. I just dont want to go back to polygons.

Pssst. We are still using polygons... just many, many more.

so I am obviously not a programmer but why can't they just use a %. Why the need for a formula? Seriously curious.

While some of the previous answers tried to answer you, I'm actually not sure in this specific circumstance. Like, the previous posters are absolutely correct as to why you use formulas rather than store fixed hit rates... but I think you were actually asking why the hit rates are stored as formulas that only contained numbers. And you're right, the formulas listed are... odd.

For example:
0.85 - 0.10 = 75% chance to hit
at that point, you could just have stored hitrate = .75 and used that, since as it is the .85 and .1 are meaningless.

My guess? They're oversimplifying to get the info across to the fanbase. Perhaps the .85 is fixed, but the .10 is an actual variable based on [terrain/character skill/something] with an end result that's 'about' .75. (ie, hitrate = .85 - dexteritypenalty)

And they changed the formula to increase the overall result about 12.5%... but just simplified how they're telling us so as not to lose people in the formulaic math.

#2301 MrNinjaSquirrel

MrNinjaSquirrel

Emo Blogger

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:49 PM

Posted Image

Hey, you look like you have a lot of money; how about donating some of it to my Extra Life drive?

#2302 Joker13z

Joker13z

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:58 PM

Posted Image

So THAT'S what you look like NinjaSquirrel. You carry your oldness with a proud and dignified face. Good for you! ;)

#2303 affa

affa

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:59 PM

Can we get confirmation on whether this song is in the game. And um... which song exactly we're talking about?

Re: VC vs. SA
SA is a better game imo, with a significantly larger world, light rpg features, and significantly more to do. You can seriously just sandbox this game for ages.
That said, Vice City is an absolute freakin' masterpiece. The setting, music, and story are impeccable.

You really can't go wrong with either. If either game was remade in HD with trophies, I'd pay $60 in a heartbeat. GTA5 can't come soon enough.

#2304 GT

GT

CAG Commando

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:59 PM

EU+ IGC Poll Results - 73K participants - I would guess NA+ results would be similar for what genre of games are most wanted. I forget, did NA+ publish results from a similar poll in the last few months?

Posted Image

Full post here: http://blog.eu.plays...results-are-in/
-----------
My half.com store - click me

Sorcery, Dungeon Siege III, Dynasty Warriors Strikeforce & more...

#2305 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:22 PM

While some of the previous answers tried to answer you, I'm actually not sure in this specific circumstance. Like, the previous posters are absolutely correct as to why you use formulas rather than store fixed hit rates... but I think you were actually asking why the hit rates are stored as formulas that only contained numbers. And you're right, the formulas listed are... odd.

For example:
0.85 - 0.10 = 75% chance to hit
at that point, you could just have stored hitrate = .75 and used that, since as it is the .85 and .1 are meaningless.

My guess? They're oversimplifying to get the info across to the fanbase. Perhaps the .85 is fixed, but the .10 is an actual variable based on [terrain/character skill/something] with an end result that's 'about' .75. (ie, hitrate = .85 - dexteritypenalty)

And they changed the formula to increase the overall result about 12.5%... but just simplified how they're telling us so as not to lose people in the formulaic math.

They are variables based on the hit rate of the current party member and enemy's evade rate, which was explained in the original Facebook post by the developers.

We've also taken this opportunity to reduce the miss rate across the board - currently the miss rate is calculated based on your hit percentage minus the enemies evade percentage. We're now adding 1 and dividing everything by two, so if you have a 85% chance to hit and the enemy has a 10% chance to evade, it would be like this:

Can we get confirmation on whether this song is in the game. And um... which song exactly we're talking about?

Re: VC vs. SA
SA is a better game imo, with a significantly larger world, light rpg features, and significantly more to do. You can seriously just sandbox this game for ages.
That said, Vice City is an absolute freakin' masterpiece. The setting, music, and story are impeccable.

You really can't go wrong with either. If either game was remade in HD with trophies, I'd pay $60 in a heartbeat. GTA5 can't come soon enough.

http://www.cinemable...oved-50206.html

The licenses for some songs expired:

Michael Jackson -"Billie Jean"
Michael Jackson -"Wanna Be Startin' Somethin"
Ozzy Osbourne -"Bark At The Moon"
Kate Bush -"Wow"
Herbie Hancock - "Rock It"
Afrika Bambaataa -"Looking For The Perfect Beat"
Lionel Richie - "Running with the night"
A couple of songs from Radio Espantoso

#2306 theflicker

theflicker

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:37 PM

I guess that's one reason to keep my PS2 copies. Never mind that they would also trade in for less than a pack of gum.

#2307 Wompdevil

Wompdevil

Noob 4 Life

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:43 PM

Yikes! Glad I bought this on Steam before they relisted them with those tracks removed, though I think the PC version also allows a custom soundtrack so it wouldn't matter as much if you happened to have the MP3s of the removed songs. They should mention this on the digital distribution sites selling this though like PSN, IOS, etc. People are expecting that they are buying the same game with the original soundtrack. Ah well, this isn't the first time music licenses have caused games and tv shows to remove the song or halted them from being re-released period.

523546.png

#2308 anarch

anarch

And all that could have been...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:47 PM

I remember hearing that, for technical reasons, the PS2 port was delayed because they couldn't remove the songs and had to reacquire the licenses. Any truth to that?

#2309 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:55 PM

I remember hearing that, for technical reasons, the PS2 port was delayed because they couldn't remove the songs and had to reacquire the licenses. Any truth to that?

One of the Michael Jackson songs was what played at the beginning of the game when you first get control, right? That definitely wasn't there when I played the first few missions for the video I recorded.

#2310 anarch

anarch

And all that could have been...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2013 - 04:01 PM

One of the Michael Jackson songs was what played at the beginning of the game when you first get control, right? That definitely wasn't there when I played the first few missions for the video I recorded.

This makes me sad. Well, if anyone needs an old school kick, Walmart and Amazon still sell the PS2 Trilogy for $19.99.

Edited by Guerrilla, 23 April 2013 - 04:29 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: PSN, PlayStation Network, PlayStation Store, PS3, PlayStation 3, Vita, PSP, PlayStation Plus, PS+