Best Buy exchanging competitor GC into RZ points

smackinisaiah

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I don't know if anyone else posted this, but I saw this today and got super stoked.

Taken from Plastic Jungle's website:

"Plastic Jungle, a trusted Best Buy® Reward Zone® partner, allows you to turn other retailer's gift cards into Best Buy Reward Zone points. The offer for your gift card is determined by the market rate which is influenced by the card's brand, seasonality, and other factors. The exchange is done securely and instantly when you click on the "Accept this Offer" button. You will receive an email confirming order completion and will have the Reward Zone points deposited to your Reward Zone account within one business day."

Things to know and consider when attempting a gift card trade:
  • You must have a minimum of $25 on retailer gift card
  • It should take within 1 business day to receive exchange

I calculated approximate exchanges on the following retailers and this is what I got:
  • $25 Walmart gift card = ~$23 (92%)
  • $25 Target gift card = ~$22 (89.5%)
  • $25 GameStop gift card = ~$20 (81%)
  • $25 Kmart gift card = ~$21 (84%)
  • $25 Toys R Us gift card = ~$20 (80%)

This is definitely an excellent program to take advantage of when you're hoping to get a game from Best Buy and have a gift card to less desired retailer.

[quote name='Mr_hockey66']60% of the time they win 100% of the time.[/QUOTE]

Haha right. I'm so fed up with BBY's BS, but honestly, this, to me, is a pretty solid service. I'm a sucker for gift cards and promos that give away GCs, so this helps with my preorder purchases for sure.

I don't understand this though. The only time I would think this would be of any use would be Christmas. If I have 25 dollar gift card to Walmart is just go to Walmart to spend my money.

I shop at best buy. I go there to buy and or trade in games. I stopped shopping with GameStop about five years ago.

Ill probably end up using this though lol. I come across random giftcards all the time in my line of work. I guess I'll trade them in for best buy ones.

that doesnt sound like a good offer, so they are gonna turn your giftcard into rward zone points?

and you have to spend 250 points to get a $5 certificate

[quote name='Mr_hockey66']I don't understand this though. The only time I would think this would be of any use would be Christmas. If I have 25 dollar gift card to Walmart is just go to Walmart to spend my money.

I shop at best buy. I go there to buy and or trade in games. I stopped shopping with GameStop about five years ago.

Ill probably end up using this though lol. I come across random giftcards all the time in my line of work. I guess I'll trade them in for best buy ones.[/QUOTE]

I hate to sound like I'm some sort of advocate for Best Buy, because I absolutely am not, but I love the $20 in RZ for buying a preorder with GCU. Using a $25 Walmart GC turned $23 BBY GC, and that cuts into cost for a brand new game, and a $20 GC to expect later. Whatever makes brand new games closest to free is cool with me.

[quote name='dyeknom']Wonder how they plan to stop people from redeeming these online after exchanging.[/QUOTE]

Why would they stop people?

[quote name='boyboy1080']that doesnt sound like a good offer, so they are gonna turn your giftcard into rward zone points?

and you have to spend 250 points to get a $5 certificate[/QUOTE]

You get a percentage of the GC's value back in certificates, not points. So a $25 Walmart GC would give you $23 in RZ certificate value, not 23 points.

[quote name='confoosious']Why would they stop people?[/QUOTE]

I think he means submitting Walmart GC information, then redeeming the same Walmart GC online. I imagine PlasticJungle has some way of draining the original GC.

[quote name='CAGMoose']I think he means submitting Walmart GC information, then redeeming the same Walmart GC online. I imagine PlasticJungle has some way of draining the original GC.[/QUOTE]

Yes, they do. They're not stupid.

[quote name='smackinisaiah']I hate to sound like I'm some sort of advocate for Best Buy, because I absolutely am not, but I love the $20 in RZ for buying a preorder with GCU. Using a $25 Walmart GC turned $23 BBY GC, and that cuts into cost for a brand new game, and a $20 GC to expect later. Whatever makes brand new games closest to free is cool with me.[/QUOTE]

Since this is BB your talking about, you need to make sure you distinguish better between RZCs and GCs.

RZCs don't cover tax and become ineligible if sale price is less than the value of the RZC.

GCs have no such limitation.

Just saying.

trading gamestops gift cards for points is a 20% loss.. it would be better to use the plastic jungle for the paypal or check which is around 18% loss and its cash

I may consider getting rid of my Walmart Gift Card because they have no deals and don't PM internet prices. Been trying to get a good deal for Tomb Raider or Madden 13.

[quote name='TheWooz']Looks like something Gamestop would do. Makes no sense for anyone to do this. Why take a loss?[/QUOTE]

Because some people have zero use for some gift card? I don't think I will ever use a Dick's Sporting Good gift card so getting anything from another store is a plus for me.

Some people win gift cards in contests, sometimes for stores they do not have in their location and these stores do not have online stores. Example I won a california pizza gift card, I am in NY, so I would have no use for the card. It would have gone to waste if I didn't trade it in on one of the gift card sites. You don't always get to choose your prize when you enter a contest.

Might be good if you have something like a drug store gift card, where they charge higher prices than other stores for everything, although I would just get amazon credit.

[quote name='SaraAB']Some people win gift cards in contests, sometimes for stores they do not have in their location and these stores do not have online stores. Example I won a california pizza gift card, I am in NY, so I would have no use for the card. It would have gone to waste if I didn't trade it in on one of the gift card sites. You don't always get to choose your prize when you enter a contest.
[/QUOTE]

California Pizza Kitchen you mean? They aren't just in California you know.

In fact:

Park Avenue South
440 Park Avenue South
New York, NY 10016

The Shops at Atlas Park
71-03 80th Street
Glendale, NY 11385

Scarsdale
365 Central Park Ave.
Scarsdale, NY 10583

Costco Plaza
1256 Old Country Road
Westbury, NY 11590

Hofstra University
200 Hofstra University
Hempstead , NY 11549

Walt Whitman Mall
160 Route 110
Huntington Station, NY 11746

Smith Haven Mall
618 Smith Haven Mall
Lake Grove, NY 11755

Maybe none of those are near you, but just sayin'... ;)

But yeah, I might look into this for Gamestop credit...

[quote name='Mr_hockey66']60% of the time they win 100% of the time.[/QUOTE]

Plastic Jungle that is, you always lose if you do it that way.

finally some use for an OfficeMax giftcard...
because A may not sell anything that you want.. or even have sales...
so converting them to B... at a slight loss is better than none at all

[quote name='62t']Because some people have zero use for some gift card? I don't think I will ever use a Dick's Sporting Good gift card so getting anything from another store is a plus for me.[/QUOTE]

This. There are some gift cards that I probably won't use like the $30 one that came in the Avengers special edition for Sideshow Collectibles.

Makes me wonder what best buy plans to do with the gift card once they own it? Will they go buy stuff at retail from these retailers? I get the idea of the program, but not sure it will actually work out in execution.

[quote name='RiPPn']Makes me wonder what best buy plans to do with the gift card once they own it? Will they go buy stuff at retail from these retailers? I get the idea of the program, but not sure it will actually work out in execution.[/QUOTE]

I imagine that when you trade in your gift card, they keep the code and if someone else trades in their cards for a gift card to that place, they would give that person the code

Wow so I can take my gift card that is as good as cash and trade it in for less money in RZ points that have an expiration date and have restrictions on purchases which include ironically Best Buy Gift cards?

And to think I only have to wait 30 days so I can make my purchase at Best Buy!!!

Im rushing over to Walmart right now to buy 100 dollars in gift cards

[quote name='Lord Hamm']Wow so I can take my gift card that is as good as cash and trade it in for less money in RZ points that have an expiration date and have restrictions on purchases which include ironically Best Buy Gift cards?

And to think I only have to wait 30 days so I can make my purchase at Best Buy!!!

Im rushing over to Walmart right now to buy 100 dollars in gift cards[/QUOTE]
You didn't read everything did you? The points are deposited within 1 business day, and it's meant for people who have gift cards for places they never go to, like if you get a gift card for a fishing supply store, but you don't fish.

[quote name='WolfmanASTN']You didn't read everything did you? The points are deposited within 1 business day, and it's meant for people who have gift cards for places they never go to, like if you get a gift card for a fishing supply store, but you don't fish.[/QUOTE]

Who doesn't like fishing...? You meant to say like people who get a gift card to GameStop/EBgames right?

It's not a hard concept to grasp. I used to get AMC gift cards from HP when I worked at Best Buy. There's not a single AMC within a 1 hour drive from where I live. It would have been nice to be able to use a program like this to exchange currencies to a store I will actually shop at. Yes, you may take a hit on the value, but if you have no intentions on spending $25 at Aeropostale, and would rather spend your money on an upcoming video game, then losing the couple bucks to not have to spend personal cash is still a reward. This is obviously not for everyone, but it's not a bad service.

[quote name='RiPPn']Makes me wonder what best buy plans to do with the gift card once they own it? Will they go buy stuff at retail from these retailers? I get the idea of the program, but not sure it will actually work out in execution.[/QUOTE]
Best Buy doesn't do anything with the gift cards, Plastic Jungle does. Plastic Jungle takes the gift cards you sell to them (e.g. for $0.80 on the dollar) and resells them to other people (e.g. for $0.90 on the dollar).

Getting RZ points back from this method is similar to you buying Best Buy gift cards at $1:$1 directly from Plastic Jungle with the money you got from selling your original gift cards. Plastic Jungle probably gets a discount rate on the Best Buy credit from the partnership, and obviously Best Buy likes selling more credit to their store. And if you feel like it, you can take a small hit to liquidate unwanted gift cards you would never spend anyway. Everybody wins.

[quote name='phoenixlau']Plastic Jungle takes the gift cards you sell to them (e.g. for $0.80 on the dollar) and resells them to other people (e.g. for $0.90 on the dollar).[/QUOTE]

Sorry I should have read the article, I wasn't aware they partnered with a 3rd party. Makes sense and a pretty good idea.

Sounded like a good deal for a Barnes&Noble gift card I'm sitting on (I'm a Kindle user), but when I went to register it was forcing a 10-digit RZ account number. Mine only has nine digits. #-o

[quote name='BalekFekete']Sounded like a good deal for a Barnes&Noble gift card I'm sitting on (I'm a Kindle user), but when I went to register it was forcing a 10-digit RZ account number. Mine only has nine digits. #-o[/QUOTE]

Put a zero at the front?

[quote name='io']California Pizza Kitchen you mean? They aren't just in California you know.

In fact:

Park Avenue South
440 Park Avenue South
New York, NY 10016

The Shops at Atlas Park
71-03 80th Street
Glendale, NY 11385

Scarsdale
365 Central Park Ave.
Scarsdale, NY 10583

Costco Plaza
1256 Old Country Road
Westbury, NY 11590

Hofstra University
200 Hofstra University
Hempstead , NY 11549

Walt Whitman Mall
160 Route 110
Huntington Station, NY 11746

Smith Haven Mall
618 Smith Haven Mall
Lake Grove, NY 11755

Maybe none of those are near you, but just sayin'... ;)

But yeah, I might look into this for Gamestop credit...[/QUOTE]

I would imagine that somebody who is surrounded by some of the best pizza in the country would not want CPK's shitty pizza.

Also none of those CPK locations are near me, I checked before I sold the card and they didn't have any locations near me.

Also selling gift cards on ebay is extremely risky, I would rather take the 20% loss than deal with a scammer who will take 100% of my money.

So is it points you get, or certs? $25gc = $20 cert (for example) or just 20 points into your RZ account?

Hmm, didn't know about this site. I used a Home Depot gift card my wife I got for our wedding half a year ago for some Amazon credit. Thank you, OP!

bread's done
Back