Best Buy exchanging competitor GC into RZ points

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#31 Namurashi

Namurashi

I am Galstaff, Sorceror of Light!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:16 AM

Because some people have zero use for some gift card? I don't think I will ever use a Dick's Sporting Good gift card so getting anything from another store is a plus for me.

This. There are some gift cards that I probably won't use like the $30 one that came in the Avengers special edition for Sideshow Collectibles.

#32 RiPPn

RiPPn

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:03 AM

Makes me wonder what best buy plans to do with the gift card once they own it? Will they go buy stuff at retail from these retailers? I get the idea of the program, but not sure it will actually work out in execution.

125365.png

#33 WolfmanASTN

WolfmanASTN

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:09 AM

Makes me wonder what best buy plans to do with the gift card once they own it? Will they go buy stuff at retail from these retailers? I get the idea of the program, but not sure it will actually work out in execution.

I imagine that when you trade in your gift card, they keep the code and if someone else trades in their cards for a gift card to that place, they would give that person the code

#34 smackinisaiah

smackinisaiah

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:50 AM

It's not a hard concept to grasp. I used to get AMC gift cards from HP when I worked at Best Buy. There's not a single AMC within a 1 hour drive from where I live. It would have been nice to be able to use a program like this to exchange currencies to a store I will actually shop at. Yes, you may take a hit on the value, but if you have no intentions on spending $25 at Aeropostale, and would rather spend your money on an upcoming video game, then losing the couple bucks to not have to spend personal cash is still a reward. This is obviously not for everyone, but it's not a bad service.

#35 zeldaking

zeldaking

I LOVE BOOBS!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:55 AM

never get less in return for your money

#36 phoenixlau

phoenixlau

backlogged

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:13 AM

Best Buy doesn't do anything with the gift cards, Plastic Jungle does. Plastic Jungle takes the gift cards you sell to them (e.g. for $0.80 on the dollar) and resells them to other people (e.g. for $0.90 on the dollar).

Getting RZ points back from this method is similar to you buying Best Buy gift cards at $1:$1 directly from Plastic Jungle with the money you got from selling your original gift cards. Plastic Jungle probably gets a discount rate on the Best Buy credit from the partnership, and obviously Best Buy likes selling more credit to their store. And if you feel like it, you can take a small hit to liquidate unwanted gift cards you would never spend anyway. Everybody wins.

#37 RiPPn

RiPPn

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:06 AM

Plastic Jungle takes the gift cards you sell to them (e.g. for $0.80 on the dollar) and resells them to other people (e.g. for $0.90 on the dollar).

Sorry I should have read the article, I wasn't aware they partnered with a 3rd party. Makes sense and a pretty good idea.

125365.png

#38 BalekFekete

BalekFekete

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:15 PM

Sounded like a good deal for a Barnes&Noble gift card I'm sitting on (I'm a Kindle user), but when I went to register it was forcing a 10-digit RZ account number. Mine only has nine digits. #-o
Posted Image

#39 Byakurai

Byakurai

CAG Busta

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:32 PM

Sounded like a good deal for a Barnes&Noble gift card I'm sitting on (I'm a Kindle user), but when I went to register it was forcing a 10-digit RZ account number. Mine only has nine digits. #-o

Put a zero at the front?

#40 ChunLiBarbie

ChunLiBarbie

Bloogablogglefliddlemliddle

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:48 PM

This. There are some gift cards that I probably won't use like the $30 one that came in the Avengers special edition for Sideshow Collectibles.

Totally forgot about that. You could always sell it on eBay for CASH!:http://www.ebay.com/...=item3380dc5364

"If you learn how to center yourself, no one can knock you off balance." - Tony Robbins

Because miserable people want others to feel miserable.

Currently Playing: Block_Super_Mario_World.pngSUPER MARIO 3D WORLD!!!!!!!!!!! OMFGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :dunce:  :whee:  Block_Super_Mario_World.png

#41 Hyperlancer

Hyperlancer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:24 PM

California Pizza Kitchen you mean? They aren't just in California you know.

In fact:

Park Avenue South
440 Park Avenue South
New York, NY 10016

The Shops at Atlas Park
71-03 80th Street
Glendale, NY 11385

Scarsdale
365 Central Park Ave.
Scarsdale, NY 10583

Costco Plaza
1256 Old Country Road
Westbury, NY 11590

Hofstra University
200 Hofstra University
Hempstead , NY 11549

Walt Whitman Mall
160 Route 110
Huntington Station, NY 11746

Smith Haven Mall
618 Smith Haven Mall
Lake Grove, NY 11755

Maybe none of those are near you, but just sayin'... ;)

But yeah, I might look into this for Gamestop credit...

I would imagine that somebody who is surrounded by some of the best pizza in the country would not want CPK's shitty pizza.

#42 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:05 PM

Also none of those CPK locations are near me, I checked before I sold the card and they didn't have any locations near me.

Also selling gift cards on ebay is extremely risky, I would rather take the 20% loss than deal with a scammer who will take 100% of my money.

#43 Mjkjets

Mjkjets

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:20 PM

I just used this with a Dick's SG gift card that I've had for over 10 years. Thanks OP.

#44 Gscept

Gscept

Gamer Afficionado!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:59 AM

And once again Best Buy Takes the cake Best retailer ever!!!

To all my Sig. Haters!!!
Xbox.360GSCEPTER.png

***Plus 1100+ on PS3 BF3

300+PC

#45 Shadow Enz

Shadow Enz

Shadow of a ghost

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:09 AM

So is it points you get, or certs? $25gc = $20 cert (for example) or just 20 points into your RZ account?
The path to hell lies between my fists, and your soul... Shun Goku Satsu!

You must exceed your limitations if you wish to survive.

Posted Image

#46 TotalHenshin

TotalHenshin

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:18 AM

Hmm, didn't know about this site. I used a Home Depot gift card my wife I got for our wedding half a year ago for some Amazon credit. Thank you, OP!

#47 Pixie Stix 88

Pixie Stix 88

Will Game 4 $$

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:03 AM

damn looks like i will never be able to get rid of this gift card from new egg. *sigh*

501272.png

Selling Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds Digital w/ Prima Digital Guide $40

#48 mikepeluso

mikepeluso

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:08 AM

I would probably never use this.

#49 Enuf

Enuf

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:16 AM

U realize BB gets part of fee from the transfered card along with a partnership agreement payment too. Then people buying at BB on top of it.

I would probably never use this.

till u come across an unwanted GC from say a pet store & you don't have a pet.