PS3 after PS4 release

kaos424

CAGiversary!
Feedback
45 (100%)
Hey guys,

I just wanted to get your opinions on my situation. At the moment I do not own any gaming consoles. I have recently had the urge to buy one though. I currently do most of my gaming on my pc and that has been fine for me to this point so I am content to wait a while to get a console.

In your opinions, when the PS4 is released and there is a drop in PS3 prices, does it make sense to buy a PS3 and play out that library of games while everyone goes nuts over the PS4?

My PC is slowly becoming obsolete as well and eventually I'll be forced to dump my money into something new for gaming. I'm thinking a PS3 after price drop could bridge the gap between either a new PC or new console. But then I still have to make the choice of PS4/Xbox 720 or new PC. Why isn't there just one gaming machine to rule them all that I can happily dump all my funds into without fear of regret? WHYYYYY :wall:

You have to decide if there are games you want to play on the PS3. If not, then it isn't worth it. I mainly got mine because it's a blu-ray player as well.

Same thing happened with the PS2, however I feel the PS2 had a better selection of games. I still play PS2 almost daily.

I personally just got into the PS3 this year, having PS2, Wii, and DS to play the last several years, and I feel it's a good time to get in. I got some really decent games for cheap. One because they are so mass produced, and two there are always multiple AAA titles coming out in any month. Games like Oblivion, Arkham Asylum, Heavenly Sword, Borderlands, Fallout, Uncharted, etc. can be had for $10-15 or less depending on if you buy online or if you buy used games from a store like Gamestop or Best Buy.

The way things currently look, the PS4 won't be backwards compatible. Picking up a PS3 gives you a large library of games to choose from while the PS4 drops in price and gains a decent library.

I don't see the PS3 dropping much further in price after the PS4 comes out as there's no backwards compatibility. Keep in mind, the lowest the PS2 officially dropped was $100 back in April 2009, about 2 1/2 years after the PS3 came out. The last price cut prior to that was eight months before the PS3 came out when it dropped from $150 to $130.

PS1 dropped to $50 about 18 months after the PS2 came out.

I have my doubts a PS3 will drop to PS2 level prices. I'm thinking $200 will be the lowest it goes. Maybe if they bring the UK model over here without a hard drive, it will go down to $150.

[quote name='mitch079']I don't see the PS3 dropping much further in price after the PS4 comes out as there's no backwards compatibility. Keep in mind, the lowest the PS2 officially dropped was $100 back in April 2009, about 2 1/2 years after the PS3 came out. The last price cut prior to that was eight months before the PS3 came out when it dropped from $150 to $130.

I have my doubts a PS3 will drop to PS2 level prices. I'm thinking $200 will be the lowest it goes. Maybe if they bring the UK model over here without a hard drive, it will go down to $150.[/QUOTE]

Do you think there will be a significant sale on PS3's and games around the holidays when the PS4 comes out? I mean even before the PS4 was announced there were still sales on game consoles during Black Friday time etc.

Right and you should expect the same. Sony shouldn't sacrifice PS3 sales just because a new console is debuting. If you figure the new console is 400-500, it will make the PS3 look that much more attractive to those who don't have one yet. Hell, if you play your cards right and get a PS4 and assuming supply is scarce like they have been in the past, you can probably double your money back by reselling it on Amazon or Ebay and then can use that money on a PS3 and a bunch of games.

I believe they will still support PS3 for quite some time. Look at how well they did with the PS2 after the PS3 release. I think that the PS4 will do well because people think they need a new console rather it's Sony or Xbox.

Sony has been very stubborn on lowering price, just look at the Vita, so I'd guess the PS3 will drop to $250 after CES this summer. What Sony does do is add value with a bigger hard drive or added game or Ps+ membership.

I'd also guess the PS4 will be $500 to $600 when it first comes out...but that's just me guessing. It would make sense though as the hardcore will still buy and it will be in short supply and the PS3 can and will still do very well this holiday season, driven by GTAV, at $250-$300.

[quote name='Abear21']Sony has been very stubborn on lowering price, just look at the Vita, so I'd guess the PS3 will drop to $250 after CES this summer. What Sony does do is add value with a bigger hard drive or added game or Ps+ membership.

I'd also guess the PS4 will be $500 to $600 when it first comes out...but that's just me guessing. It would make sense though as the hardcore will still buy and it will be in short supply and the PS3 can and will still do very well this holiday season, driven by GTAV, at $250-$300.[/QUOTE]

Ps4 is not going 5-6 00 400 max

[quote name='mitch079']I don't see the PS3 dropping much further in price after the PS4 comes out as there's no backwards compatibility. Keep in mind, the lowest the PS2 officially dropped was $100 back in April 2009, about 2 1/2 years after the PS3 came out. The last price cut prior to that was eight months before the PS3 came out when it dropped from $150 to $130.

I have my doubts a PS3 will drop to PS2 level prices. I'm thinking $200 will be the lowest it goes. Maybe if they bring the UK model over here without a hard drive, it will go down to $150.[/QUOTE]PS3 has already been $200 on Black Friday 2 yrs in a row you'll see a $200 MSRP by no later than summer 2014. Not long after that I'd think Sony will switch promoting the PS3 as the best blu ray entertainment value on the market for around $150. At that point the $100-$130 MSRP bunndles would get Sony into most households along with it being a launchpad for Sony exclusives on PS4.

[quote name='Abear21']Sony has been very stubborn on lowering price, just look at the Vita, so I'd guess the PS3 will drop to $250 after CES this summer. What Sony does do is add value with a bigger hard drive or added game or Ps+ membership.

I'd also guess the PS4 will be $500 to $600 when it first comes out...but that's just me guessing. It would make sense though as the hardcore will still buy and it will be in short supply and the PS3 can and will still do very well this holiday season, driven by GTAV, at $250-$300.[/QUOTE]The PS3 is already $250 so the drop would be to $200. And they've already stated directly/indirectly that they won't make the same mistake twice so there won't be a $600 price. I'd guess on a $400-$450 base model & $450-$500 premium model. Their true screw-up with the vita was not selling it like a cellphone...had they offered $100 & $150 bundles with a small $15-$20 monthly plans for 12 months & included the 32GB memory card in the $150 bundles the intial holiday sales would've been thru the roof. With the huge bump in consoles sales more games would've been put into the mix earlier thus making it a tough rival for the 3DS. At that point 5 games like GTA would then put vita near the top till the next handheld.

I pleasantly agree to disagree. And to your point, a $450-$500 premium model is still asking for $600 or more from early adopters. Even at $400, after you add in tax and a game you are basically at $500. Add in a controller and/or subscription fees to Playstation plus and we are talking close to $600. I'm prepared to drop $600-$700...I'll want more than one game and to be able to invite a friend over and play. So $400 for the system, two games, an extra controller, and tax....$600. If the system is more than $400, which I truly think it will be...yeah, time to start saving.

Early adopters will pay whatever they have to if the software is there.

I do feel the PS4 will be over $400 when it releases, so saving $600 will do you justice on launch day. That's what i plan on saving. As for the PS3, It's still got alot of mileage on it, it wont truly fade out till like 4 years from now when it hits the $99 sweet spot.:D That's when manufacturing will slow down or stop.

There will still be games being made for PS3 cause of the user base being so big.

[quote name='Abear21']I pleasantly agree to disagree. And to your point, a $450-$500 premium model is still asking for $600 or more from early adopters. Even at $400, after you add in tax and a game you are basically at $500. Add in a controller and/or subscription fees to Playstation plus and we are talking close to $600. I'm prepared to drop $600-$700...I'll want more than one game and to be able to invite a friend over and play. So $400 for the system, two games, an extra controller, and tax....$600. If the system is more than $400, which I truly think it will be...yeah, time to start saving.

Early adopters will pay whatever they have to if the software is there.[/QUOTE]You disagree that the next PS3 drop won't be to $200 or that the vita launch wouldn't have been more successful with a $100 launch price combined with a $15-$20 monthly fee?

True there's extra cost that needs to be factored into the total purchase but some of the ones you list aren't givens at all.
1-Tax:Some states don't charge it & some .coms don't either.
2-Controller:I know lots of gamer's who just have one, just look at the threads for $30-$40 & you'll see numerous people still using they're 1st controller that's not perfect & that sale is their 1st purchase.
3-If you buy the premium bundle it's gonna come with a game most likely the MGS4 PS3 was one of the best IMO & PS+ also give a new Sony customer the instant game collection as well.

Will current PS+ subscribers need to pay $50 more when they get a PS4 or just wait till their sub expires?

BestBuy's pretty much covered the cost of the PS4 anyways I've been using one of my GCU's for the $20 promos, after the credits I'll pay less outta pocket for the PS4 than the price drop PS3.

[quote name='Abear21']Sony has been very stubborn on lowering price, just look at the Vita,[/QUOTE]

Oh you mean the same Vita that everyone was calling a bargain back when its price was announced at E3 and now because it didn't release with 40 AAA titles now all of sudden those same people are mysteriously broke? Now want a price drop when the thing wasn't even a year old yet? Never mind the fact various outlets have had $199 bundled specials, in addition to an amazing Amazon black Friday bundle that you could sell a lot of whats included to basically make the Vita close to only a 100$:roll:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it depends on two things: how much do you game and how much money do you have? Me personally, I don't game a whole lot and I'll be working full time when the PS4 comes out, so I won't be buying another PS3 (I just gave mine to my dad). A PS4 at launch + 2 games will give me 6 months of entertainment, so it's well worth it. (Plus, you know it'll be a bitching media center.) But if you're tight on cash, or game more than a few hours a week, the PS4 just isn't a smart decision financially.

I just want to know about Playstation Plus for the PS4 and how or if the current Playstation Plus will transfer over. Sorry for derailing this thread, the truth is Sony will support the PS3 for at least a couple years after the PS4 comes out, everyone knows that.

We can argue about PS4 price and PS3 and Vita price drops but until Sony announces it we don't know. Hopefully all price drops and PS4 price will be revealed at E3 in June. Personally I don't think he PS3 will hit $200 permanently this year, but who the hell am I to say.

I'm with you there, whether I'm busy at work or not, I'm tuning in to E3 because I'm dying to know Sony's plans regarding pricing and their overall model.

Regarding the OP, I would definitely recommend picking up a PS3 post PS4 launch, whether new or used. By then you should already know how PS Plus will evolve and what the PS3s role in that is. Other than that, you'll have a plethora of cheap quality games to hold you over to your next PC (personal opinion). I'll have to warn you though, since you are coming from PC, there may be noticeably longer load times on certain games. ME2 made that all too apparent to me some years back and I wish I took note when I ordered ME3

I doubt that a person who already has a long time left on their PS+ sub would be forced to re-up for the PS4. I'd actually give them mad props if they did something extra for the early adopters who have a sub already.

As for prices for the PS4 the rumors seem to indicate the 3rd option will be a copy of what MS is already doing...buy the PS4 for just $100-$150 7 pay a monthly fee for 2 yrs. At this price people could actually get both systems if they wanted, if this is true I'd love to see $200 PS4/PS Vita bundles. Cross buy would go thru the roof & having the instant game collection would be supreme.

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/250897/pachter-software-sales-up-in-march-poor-wii-u-sales/

He believes that Microsoft will sell the next Xbox with a payment plan like it is currently testing out with the Xbox 360 and similar to what cell phone providers do. Sell the device at a loss, but have consumers sign up for a two year plan which will more than make up for the loss. Pachter also believes that Sony will use the exact same strategy with the PlayStation 4.

http://www.tgbuzz.com/archives/7073

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly I think my main concern is how easy a PS3 will be to fix/replace in about 10-15 years. Since it looks like PS3 games aren't going to be read by the PS4, you need to hang on to your old PS3 if you want to play the games you currently have. If your bluray drive fails or you get a YLOD its pretty easy to fix now, but how easy will it be a decade from now? Or hell, 20 years from now?

I will pick up a superslim or 2 when it hits $150 ish. already sitting on 3 LE slim and a white fatty so I can wait for a serious price drop.

I was just hoping to get some PS3 owner's opinions. I have a 360 but I love RPGs and JRPGs which the 360 is light on. I know the perks of the system having blu-ray and decent games, but is the system still worth the 299 price tag or should i wait til the PS4 comes out and pick up one cheap. I am basically wondering about the PSN Plus and other elements that aren't as well known. Any info would be nice.

[quote name='kaos424']Hey guys,
In your opinions, when the PS4 is released and there is a drop in PS3 prices, does it make sense to buy a PS3 and play out that library of games while everyone goes nuts over the PS4?[/QUOTE]

Yes, I think it makes perfect sense. I've owned a PS3 for several years, and I can definitely recommend the system.

For starters, the PS3's media features are far superior to most other set-top boxes. I play all of my Blu-Rays, 3D and otherwise on my PS3. I store a decent chunk of music and video on my PS3's hard drive. As a media box, it's really solid, and well worth owning just for that.

Earlier on in its lifecycle, the PS3 was harder to recommend as a gaming machine. At this point, though I think it is well worth it. I personally own more than 100 PS3 games. I have been able to acquire that many because of regular clearance items at Target. (and other various sales) At this point, the PS3 has a solid selection of exclusive titles, most of which can be acquired at very reasonable prices. It's high-definition support gives it an edge over the PS2 as far as viewing on modern televisions goes. If you go to a little effort, you can build a solid library of PS3-only titles on a tight budget. Go for it.

[quote name='vashyron']but is the system still worth the 299 price tag or should i wait til the PS4 comes out and pick up one cheap.[/QUOTE]

Don't do either. Pick up a used model 1 or model 2 for significantly less, and upgrade the hard drive yourself.

[quote name='Richard Kain']Don't do either. Pick up a used model 1 or model 2 for significantly less, and upgrade the hard drive yourself.[/QUOTE]At this point the price difference from new to used isn't worth chancing on used. $200-$210 can get you a new PS3 w/250 GB HD alog with 2-3 games. So getting a sub $200 phat PS3 with a smaller HD would be the way to go & get the most outta the system for the long haul.
I'd only have interest in a used fully BC MGS PS3 but by the time you add a legit 2-3 yr warranty the price goes up to the same $150-$`8 for new

here's the thing about ps3 & ps4...
as of right now there are 100's of titles for ps3 and there are so many of them that are great. you can pick up alot of these great ps3 games for great/cheap prices. if you wait on a ps4 (which is cool) going to have to wait a long time for their game lineup to release and enjoy. also a bunch of the games that will release for ps4 will also be for the ps3. in my personal opinion, even thoe ps4 will be here soon, i think alot of people are going to still stick with their ps3, and wait for a bit of a price drop on the ps4, and wait for a better lineup of games to kind of build up for the ps4. i also hear that ps4 games will run about $70 bucks vs $60 for new ps3 releases right now. the ps4 will probley run between $400 and $600 bucks depending on/if how many different models they come out with, vs $250 for a ps3 right now. ps3 is a great console, even if you only have fun with it for a year-year and a half, i think its worth it. in my opinion a would hold off for just a little while for the ps4.

[quote name='vashyron']So is the PS3 hard drive like the 360 that I can change them out if I desire to.[/QUOTE]

On the 360, the hard drive is proprietary, and you can only use the official ones that Microsoft themselves release for sale.

On the PS3, any standard laptop-sized hard drive can be installed in the system. You can go out to your local retailer, purchase a standard 2.5" hard drive, and drop it into your PS3. Whatever storage size you please. Get whatever brand strikes your fancy, and however many Gigabytes is right for you. If they are having a sale on a particular drive and you want to spend less, feel free.

The PS3 provides you a lot more freedom and options when it comes to upgrading the storage.

bread's done
Back