Kingdoms of Amalur 360/PS3 19.99 @ Amazon

Good spot OP, I already have the game but anyone who doesn't might want to grab it sooner rather than later. I believe the game is now out of print.

Ha! Just bought it the other day from Gamefly for the same price. I thought Amazon would never drop the price. It just arrived yesterday, can't wait to dig in.

[quote name='benjamouth']Good spot OP, I already have the game but anyone who doesn't might want to grab it sooner rather than later. I believe the game is now out of print.[/QUOTE]

Could you let me know where you saw/read this? I was going to wait until it dropped a little more, but if it's out of print, I'll probably jump on this.

Thanks.

This game is probably one the best mediocre games of all time. So much potential but it just never completely followed through. Truly felt like an MMORPG without the MMO part and unfortunately all the bad things that came with it.

Got to say this game was one of my most fun games I played in '12.

Go get it while its at this price! Well worth the price.

[quote name='JKSonic']This game is probably one the best mediocre games of all time. So much potential but it just never completely followed through. Truly felt like an MMORPG without the MMO part and unfortunately all the bad things that came with it.[/QUOTE]
Heh, this is a pretty accurate description. Still, this game was loads of fun for the first 20 hours or so, then got a little tedious. Easily worth $20 and a playthrough, though.

I didn't get this one on release b/c after playing the demo it felt like they wanted to make it a FPS but then at the last minute decided to just pull he camera back about 6 feet and all you see is your characters back. For people playing a lot of FPS the camera probably seemed fine but when all you play are JRPGs the camera seemed really out of place. Still, for $20, I'll deal, the threads of fate storyline seemed interesting and JRPGs this generation are few and far between, I just can't bring myself to play Xenoblade in SD.

[quote name='JKSonic']This game is probably one the best mediocre games of all time. So much potential but it just never completely followed through. Truly felt like an MMORPG without the MMO part and unfortunately all the bad things that came with it.[/QUOTE]

This description feels kinda true. On the other hand, I poured well over 90 hours into the game and still vividly remember a lot of the visuals of the game (especially the environments). I traded the game in several months back and I occasionally regret doing that. But yeah, $20 is a good price for the game. I dont think anyone would regret the purchase at that price provided you generally like action RPGs.

GREAT game for $20! The visuals, combat, sounds, are all great :) It's a giant world, especially the first continent. There is so much to do if you're a completionist. Some of the side quests are typical fetch / kill, but a lot of them are pretty creative.

It has crafting, alchemy, enchanting, etc. The story is good for a video game!

The second half of the game has some pretty fun set piece battles :D

i think this is out of print so buy it if you are interested,

i am thinking about buying a new copy and just keeping it for 2-3 years because i believe the price will go way up for these in new condition

Most open-world games can be reduced down to: Walk up to quest giver who may or may not have a symbol floating above their head, follow waypoint on map, and then kill/fetch...repeat.

Actual departures from that formula are few and far between. (the Souls games come to mind)

The MMO comparison is absolutely a fair one but you can level that same criticism at Oblivion and Skyrim and FarCry and Fable and Saint's Row and Sleeping Dogs and Borderlands and Just Cause and Fallout 3/NV and....;)

[quote name='Sindroam']Could you let me know where you saw/read this? I was going to wait until it dropped a little more, but if it's out of print, I'll probably jump on this.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

38 Studios and Big Huge Games were both shut down, so I would assume the game is no longer in production.

Really fun game, I played through it twice and completed the 1300/1300 gamerscore. The sidequests do start to get tedious if you do too many of them, but it's all totally optional so you can do as much as you want and then stop, no big deal. The story and characters were a bit thin, but the gameplay is great and the game is really more about the action and character customization anyway. The DLC is really fun too. I wish there would be a sequel to this.

[quote name='Cakeman32']38 Studios and Big Huge Games were both shut down, so I would assume the game is no longer in production.[/QUOTE]
I've wondered about this. Does EA just get to keep all of the profits for this game now, since there's no one at 38 Studios to write a check to? Or did 38 already have whatever their cut was going to be by the time the copies were on the shelves?

Best Buy has it preowned online right now for $17.99 w/ free shipping. Feels like I've typically seen it in the mid-twenties.

I'll probably pony up the extra $2 for a new copy, though. Thanks, OP.

Edit: Just ordered one. If it was "in stock" before, it's now reading "typically 1-2 days".

[quote name='Sindroam']Could you let me know where you saw/read this? I was going to wait until it dropped a little more, but if it's out of print, I'll probably jump on this.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

I can't remember, TBH it could have just been a random forum posting. Beyond 38 Studios and Big Huge getting shuttered I want to say I'd read specifically that EA weren't printing copies anymore but I can't remember where.

[quote name='rjejr']I didn't get this one on release b/c after playing the demo it felt like they wanted to make it a FPS but then at the last minute decided to just pull he camera back about 6 feet and all you see is your characters back. For people playing a lot of FPS the camera probably seemed fine but when all you play are JRPGs the camera seemed really out of place. Still, for $20, I'll deal, the threads of fate storyline seemed interesting and JRPGs this generation are few and far between, I just can't bring myself to play Xenoblade in SD.[/QUOTE]

Xenoblade's easily the best looking SD game. Once you get out of Colony 9 it looks just fucking amazing

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Really fun game, I played through it twice and completed the 1300/1300 gamerscore. The sidequests do start to get tedious if you do too many of them, but it's all totally optional so you can do as much as you want and then stop, no big deal. The story and characters were a bit thin, but the gameplay is great and the game is really more about the action and character customization anyway. The DLC is really fun too. I wish there would be a sequel to this.

I've wondered about this. Does EA just get to keep all of the profits for this game now, since there's no one at 38 Studios to write a check to? Or did 38 already have whatever their cut was going to be by the time the copies were on the shelves?[/QUOTE]

I think the IP is publicly owned now by Rhode Island, where 38 resided, and who invested money in the company? It's supposed to be auctioned off at some point. Not sure how that plays into who gets a cut of each retail transaction. Rhode Island is so deep in the hole, though, they're not getting anywhere close to even based on remaining sales.

Just wanted to echo other sentiments posted here. I had more fun with this game than any other I played in 2012. Borderlands 2 was a close 2nd for me, but Kingdoms of Amalur was #1. Get at $19.99 while you can.

[quote name='peanut_gallery']Just wanted to echo other sentiments posted here. I had more fun with this game than any other I played in 2012. Borderlands 2 was a close 2nd for me, but Kingdoms of Amalur was #1. Get at $19.99 while you can.[/QUOTE]

I'm in for one. What did you think of the DLC for it?

Also picked up Borderlands GOTY for $20. I'd been meaning to play it for a while now. Finally have time now to finish games/trophies in my backlog so i'm ready to jump into these monsters. I wonder which of these games i'll spend more time playing. I'm betting Borderlands just because it comes with all the DLC.

Nice catch I've been watching for it to hit $20 on Amazon but was traveling for work so glad I noticed the post!

I'm still gonna wait for lower and x my fingers it shows up in a future Gamefly sale for 12 bucks or less. If that doesn't happen, so be it. Have to be strict to my limits or else I spend too much.

Would have preferred getting from Best Buy when it was $10, but worried it might sell out before dropping in price so picked it up for $20.

Hmmm I'd like to pick this up but I hate paying $20 for a game that is going straight to the backlog. I guess I'm going to roll with the dice and wait it out.

In for one, sad part is:

Sold by Amazon.com
Usually ships within 11 to 14 days.

Edit: By the way, just noticed that it says that $19.99 is the new MSRP, so technically this isn't really a sale or promotion.

Last edited by a moderator:
360 version is still $40 MSRP, the PS3 one now has a MSRP of $30. GS sells the 360 version for $40 used and the PS3 version for $28 used.

Edit: Didn't see the Target drop. Interesting. Wonder if Gamestop will keep their price at $40?

I wish they had released some of the preorder content online. When I first bought this game, I sold my Dowsing Rod for 52 bones thinking it would eventually be released for download.

i really liked the gameplay in this game... maybe a little repetitive but fun, you tend to level up quick tho and can level yourself past a whole area. But fun game over all. Definitely good at 20$.

70 hours in trying to platinum and I hit a game breaking bug. I was in an instance where the only way to get out was to kill a Boss...who never spawned. This is the game that taught me the importance of multiple saves.

[quote name='handsomepete']19.99 in store at Target too. looks like it might be a universal drop?[/QUOTE]

Are you sure? Shows $29.99 online, but I'd rather get it local than wait for Amazon.

I still haven't progressed past the initial half-hour of the game/tutorial level. I'll get around to it eventually.

bread's done
Back