BioShock Infinite: Seige of Columbia [Board Game] - $59.95 Preorder Price!

I just want to give a shout out to Plaid Hat Games and Colby for being an awesome company to order from with fantastic customer service and for making great games.

Even if you're not interested in the Bioshock game, I can highly recommend Summoner Wars from them if you're looking for a 1v1 game.

I've been keeping an eye on this game ever since I heard about it, the wife and I are really looking forward to it. Does anyone know if they sell their games anywhere besides their website?

Is this preorder a recent thing? Someone mentioned this game in another Bioshock Infinite thread a week ago and said that apparently there has been a concerning lack of information on this game in recent months.

[quote name='iamsmart']Is this preorder a recent thing? Someone mentioned this game in another Bioshock Infinite thread a week ago and said that apparently there has been a concerning lack of information on this game in recent months.[/QUOTE]

Preorders started today. Check the Forbes link in my OP.

I got the collector's edition with the little Handyman figure and as such I am curious about this game. I've never played a Plaid Hat game and the pictures make it look like there's an awful lot going on. How difficult are games like this to pick up?

[quote name='WatTsu']I got the collector's edition with the little Handyman figure and as such I am curious about this game. I've never played a Plaid Hat game and the pictures make it look like there's an awful lot going on. How difficult are games like this to pick up?[/QUOTE]
From my experience of playing a few boards games, you might get a general idea of how to play after your first game. After a few more times you learn more about specific rules and might start to develop your own strategies for the game. Just don't expect to learn how to play right off the bat without playing a few rounds and reading the manual.

Regarding the actual difficulty of the game, it's anyone guess right now because game is not even out yet.

[quote name='Mixer236']I've been keeping an eye on this game ever since I heard about it, the wife and I are really looking forward to it. Does anyone know if they sell their games anywhere besides their website?[/QUOTE]

It'll be available at amazon and other online board game retailers. I just hope it doesn't sell out right away like Mice and Mystics. I wanna wait for some reviews, but that game was out of stock for a long time.

[quote name='labelmeoriginal']Hmm... I know it's Bioshock and all.. but $60 for a board game? DAMN![/QUOTE]

Seems to be common for licensed board games, actually. For example, the Gears of War board game still fetches a near-MSRP price.

[quote name='labelmeoriginal']Hmm... I know it's Bioshock and all.. but $60 for a board game? DAMN![/QUOTE]

Getting into quality board games is expensive, Ticket to Ride, Carcassonne, Settlers of Catan all costed about this when they came out. The way I see it is I just get a new game for a weekend and make that the date night with my girlfriend.

I thought the same thing. I wasn't sure if the exclamation point on the topic was for excitement or to emphasize the ridiculous price.

Surprised it was for the former.

On a related note, doesn't it seem assbackwards to make a board game out of a video game? So you can imagine playing the real game while rolling a dice and moving a cardboard character around? Not to mention all the setup that goes with taking it out of the box, reading the instructions, organizing all the pieces. Oh, and other players as well. "Hey, wanna come over and play some games? No, you don't have to bring your XBOX/PS3/PC but can you pick up some soda and chips? We're gonna PARTY HARD!"

Oh, and $60 bucks... the same price as, well, the actual video game. You should buy the actual game and just read the manual. Then "imagine" the wacky adventures yourself. I think that would be comparable, plus you'd have the actual game too if you were into that sort of stuff.

I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Me and my GF both love Board Games and Bioshock. This will be a no brainer. I am waiting on the actual release date so I know if I can afford it at the time.

This is not a VIDEO GAME deal... it belongs somewhere else.

Board game = video game ???

What's next.... a preorder thread on a Bioshock shot glass?

$60 is fucking cheap for a boardgame compared to others out there. Go to a game convention and look at the ones that are $100+ that have $60 expansions... or $200+ collectors editions.

Hell, my local game store still has the Starcraft board game at retail, which is around $100. Cheapest on Amazon is $163 or so.

[quote name='oasisboy']This is not a VIDEO GAME deal... it belongs somewhere else.

What's next.... a preorder thread on a Bioshock shot glass?[/QUOTE]

I noticed this as well, and was quite surprised to see it take so long to be complained about. While it is a deal and most certainly deserves it's own thread, it should probably be moved to the "Other Deals" section.

As for those being taken aback by the price, this isn't Battleship or LIFE. Site says it includes 52 miniatures(like the handyman in the CE), as well as a wealth of other items like cards, dice, tokens etc. It also mentions each game last for 1 - 1 1/2 hours. So yeah, you aren't going to play this in little 20 minute sessions.

[quote name='oasisboy']This is not a VIDEO GAME deal... it belongs somewhere else.

What's next.... a preorder thread on a Bioshock shot glass?[/QUOTE]

Dude, you are so strange with the things that bother you on CAG. You post that shit all the time in threads (Portal Guns, Mega Man Statues, etc). It is the only time you come out of the woodwork.

BioShock Infinite is a marvel, an accomplishment. Just sharing the news of its board game companion being available at a discounted preorder price.

I encourage you to use your anger for something greater than to moderate a board full of video game fans.

[quote name='georox']$60 is fucking cheap for a boardgame compared to others out there. Go to a game convention and look at the ones that are $100+ that have $60 expansions... or $200+ collectors editions.

Hell, my local game store still has the Starcraft board game at retail, which is around $100. Cheapest on Amazon is $163 or so.[/QUOTE]

I guess when I think "board game" I think of Monopoly and Chutes and Ladders. I guess board games can be serious business. :p

[quote name='blinknot4']Dude, you are so strange with the things that bother you on CAG. You post that shit all the time in threads (Portal Guns, Mega Man Statues, etc). It is the only time you come out of the woodwork.

BioShock Infinite is a marvel, an accomplishment. Just sharing the news of its board game companion being available at a discounted preorder price.

I encourage you to use your anger for something greater than to moderate a board full of video game fans.[/QUOTE]

Just set him to ignore, I think most others do. You said it yourself, he never posts anything of consequence so you'll be sure you're not missing anything.

Tabletop board games are definitively starting to make a come back. I've seen quite a few on Kickstarter lately and Zombicide Season 2 just finished with over $2.25 million raised with the average pledge being $252 per person. So I would say the price tag of this BioShock board game seems right based on what you get in the box and compared to similar games.

I don't think this type of board game is for me but I do appreciate the post. And now that I know what my handyman figure was supposed to be used for I will probably sell it to someone who is going to buy this board game.

[quote name='labelmeoriginal']I guess when I think "board game" I think of Monopoly and Chutes and Ladders. I guess board games can be serious business. :p[/QUOTE]

Those dicechucking snoozefests ruined board gaming for everyone. Now nobody considers board games real games. Which is a shame because there are real gems of considerable depth and quality in all shapes and sizes.

[quote name='SteveGo']Just set him to ignore, I think most others do. You said it yourself, he never posts anything of consequence so you'll be sure you're not missing anything.[/QUOTE]

A brilliant idea. Just did it - thanks SteveGo.

[quote name='Sanges99']Some more pics from that "other" gaming community--dizzamn that is some hideous boxart though.[/QUOTE]

Good find on the additional photos. Added to my OP, thanks!

[quote name='Sanges99']Some more pics from that "other" gaming community--dizzamn that is some hideous boxart though. :puke:[/QUOTE]

Total missed opportunity on the box art. Should have emulated the vintage art design used in the game.

[quote name='blinknot4']Dude, you are so strange with the things that bother you on CAG. You post that shit all the time in threads (Portal Guns, Mega Man Statues, etc). It is the only time you come out of the woodwork.

I encourage you to use your anger for something greater than to moderate a board full of video game fans.[/QUOTE]

Yup...

You are strange for thinking a board game deal belongs in the video game deals section. I encourage you to read a dictionary for the definition of video game. There are too many fanboys who want to advertise gaming merchandise of a franchise they love. So odd.

[quote name='georox']$60 is fucking cheap for a boardgame compared to others out there. Go to a game convention and look at the ones that are $100+ that have $60 expansions... or $200+ collectors editions.

Hell, my local game store still has the Starcraft board game at retail, which is around $100. Cheapest on Amazon is $163 or so.[/QUOTE]
Yeah but by and large you end up getting better deals on Amazon for games.

[quote name='oasisboy']You are strange for thinking a board game deal belongs in the video game deals section. I encourage you to read a dictionary for the definition of video game. There are too many fanboys who want to advertise gaming merchandise of a franchise they love. So odd.[/QUOTE]

There are threads for soundtracks, game guides, etc. They're all video game related. With 30 replies people find value in the topic. Get over yourself, last I checked you weren't a moderator.

And welcome to ignore.

Hmm, anyone know if Amazon will get these in for preorder or not? I guess right now until I know a solid release date and if they don't charge till it ships I will hold off.

Really interested in ordering this but I got a feeling it would just end up as a shelf piece and never opened. None of my friends have any interest in playing board games which sucks.

Normally I'd never consider a $70 board game, but I did just finish Bioshock Infinite (and Bioshock is one of my all time favorite games), and I did get my tax returns recently so I think I am actually gonna bite one this. hopefully this is fun with the lady.

[quote name='Sion']None of my friends have any interest in playing board games which sucks.[/QUOTE]

I'm in the same boat. Fortunately I got my wife hooked on Pandemic.

[quote name='MrshllJcb']Normally I'd never consider a $70 board game, but I did just finish Bioshock Infinite (and Bioshock is one of my all time favorite games), and I did get my tax returns recently so I think I am actually gonna bite one this. hopefully this is fun with the lady.[/QUOTE]

Me too, but at this point I think I'd probably even buy an Infinite-themed stepladder. :lol:

I know it says it's playable with just 2 players, but I'm wondering if you'd still get a good experience like this or if you really need the full 4 for a "real" game. My wife and I would most likely be the only two to ever play this if I got it.

So, just in case anybody would prefer it, you can pre-order it at GameStop now too. I had kept forgetting to check until last night, and it is $86.99. When I checked shipping from Plaid Hat, it came out to be about $82.xx after the shipping charge... So, if you have some credit and want to at least secure a copy, there is that route too.

[quote name='Vulgarism']So, just in case anybody would prefer it, you can pre-order it at GameStop now too. I had kept forgetting to check until last night, and it is $86.99. When I checked shipping from Plaid Hat, it came out to be about $82.xx after the shipping charge... So, if you have some credit and want to at least secure a copy, there is that route too.[/QUOTE]

Interesting. I'll be waiting to see if Amazon gets this, as GS is probably the last store I would want to order from outside of getting it from Plaid Hat themselves.

[quote name='Mixer236']Interesting. I'll be waiting to see if Amazon gets this, as GS is probably the last store I would want to order from outside of getting it from Plaid Hat themselves.[/QUOTE]

I'm just curious to see what the run on this thing will be. I can't imagine there will be a major surplus left around, and I can't see them keeping pre-orders open for too long, but maybe I'm reading too much into it.

bread's done
Back