UNDERDEFEAT HD: LE (PS3) $19.99 at Amazon FSSS

Son of a... I picked this one up when Amazon had the $5 off coupons a few months ago for $25 net assuming they would simply disappear before seeing a discount. Oh well. It's a pretty cool shooter none the less. Not great, but different enough to warrant a purchase.

Worth $20 for sure if you are a shmup enthusiast.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fantastic shmup that we were lucky to get in North America! Great deal at $20, I picked up a few at launch to support the dev/publisher. Rare to find shmups like this on PS3 too.

This game is a steal at this price. I picked it up at release and its great. Also the trophies are really easy. The game starts you with 2 continues and adds 1 for every hour of game play. After 8 hours you get unlimited continues so this makes Platinum an easy one.

[quote name='showtimefolks']Worth $20?

Content wise worth it[/QUOTE]

There's only 5 stages with 3 difficulties. There are 2 modes so if you will have to play it 6 times for all the difficulty trophies. Plus it includes the soundtrack cd as a bonus.

[quote name='punkmaggit']You guys have all the Cave shmups. Stop whining.[/QUOTE]

Lol very true. I just got Espgaluda II in the mail today off eBay. :)

Gah I'd import that PAL Copy in a second if it was region free.

This is a fantastic deal, they did a great job on the HD version of this game and it is worth twice this price easily if you like Shmups. As far as the PS3 having so few of them, Ketsui is coming to PS3 now (Japan but should be region free and is available for pre-order at AmiAmi and some other places) and Mamoru-kun wa Norowarete Shimatta might be coming to the west on PS3. I played the Japanese version of the game and while being a very different game, I did really enjoy it so I will definitely get it if it does make it over here.

Why the hell not? I don't know anything about this game but I'll pick it up based on what you guys are saying about it.

Thanks OP. I played the Dreamcast version back in the day and really enjoyed it, but missed the opportunity to buy it. This is a must buy for shmup fans.

[quote name='Chrono Gear']Son of a... I picked this one up when Amazon had the $5 off coupons a few months ago for $25 net assuming they would simply disappear before seeing a discount. Oh well. It's a pretty cool shooter none the less. Not great, but different enough to warrant a purchase.

Worth $20 for sure if you are a shmup enthusiast.[/QUOTE]

I know your pain I paid $120 for the Japanese LE when it came out not thinking it was gonna get a stateside release. I may sell the Japanese LE and get the American version.

With that said it's an awesome Shmup and totally worth the $20 price of admission.

[quote name='thegame85']Any clue if the Japan version is region free?[/QUOTE]

The Japanese 360 version is region locked as well. The only way to play Under Defeat HD in the states is through the PS3 unless you got a NTSC-J Xbox360.

Anyone who has this can confirm or deny if the amazon review that complains about constant frame rate drops has any merit?

[quote name='meatwad3000']The Japanese 360 version is region locked as well. The only way to play Under Defeat HD in the states is through the PS3 unless you got a NTSC-J Xbox360.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I'm working on that NTSC-J console. I think there's enough games to warrant the purchase assuming I can get it below a couple hundred.

Edit: ugh eBay prices for Japanese under defeat are steep!!

Pre-ordered and loved it, great game.

Glad someone else posted about Ketsui coming to the states via region free PS3. I have one pre-ordered and waiting we need to spread the word. :)

[quote name='detectiveconan16']Pick it up and prepare to tilt your monitor sideways!
I already love this on the Dreamcast, and HD makes it better.[/QUOTE]

It's a vertizontal SHMUP.... Tate is not necessary.

[quote name='$hady']Pre-ordered and loved it, great game.

Glad someone else posted about Ketsui coming to the states via region free PS3. I have one pre-ordered and waiting we need to spread the word. :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks I didnt know about Ketsui. Why can't they put more shmups on Xbox GoD just like Deathsmiles IIX?

Edit: damn! Missed out on a Japanese 360 on eBay! Went for $251 and I was hoping for $200 shipped or less.

Last edited by a moderator:
beat it and got the plat. already...I'm trying to sale the hard copy of this on gamestop and they won't take it...what's up with that?

[quote name='81dollars']beat it and got the plat. already...I'm trying to sale the hard copy of this on gamestop and they won't take it...what's up with that?[/QUOTE]

They won't buy it because its an Amazon exclusive and they don't sell it.

[quote name='81dollars']beat it and got the plat. already...I'm trying to sale the hard copy of this on gamestop and they won't take it...what's up with that?[/QUOTE]

You're missing out on, what, $5 store credit.... tops?

I'll buy the game from you if you need to get rid of it that badly ^_^

[quote name='Sleipnir']Anyone who has this can confirm or deny if the amazon review that complains about constant frame rate drops has any merit?[/QUOTE]
I have the PSN version. I believe it is an artistic choice, not an actual performance issue.

The action slows down when there are big explosions (mainly when you use bombs), but while it was annoying at the beginning, I don't notice it anymore.
I am not a shmup fanatic, but it is fun to play once in a while.

As others have said, the plat is pretty easy to attain (still working on it, as I have a backlog quite long, but I only need 3 playthroughs now), as you can get free play quite easily.

[quote name='$hady']Pre-ordered and loved it, great game.

Glad someone else posted about Ketsui coming to the states via region free PS3. I have one pre-ordered and waiting we need to spread the word. :)[/QUOTE]

It is!?!? Yay! Now we just need Mushihime-sama HD and I'll be happy!

I like shmups, but usually resort to buying the cheaper DL games on 3DS, XBL and PSN. How would you rank this next to games like Raiden, Sine Mora, Ikaruga and Soldner which are cheaper and should I get this game at this price point as it is apparent that it is a great game? Thanks!

[quote name='Tarskidx']I like shmups, but usually resort to buying the cheaper DL games on 3DS, XBL and PSN. How would you rank this next to games like Raiden, Sine Mora, Ikaruga and Soldner which are cheaper and should I get this game at this price point as it is apparent that it is a great game? Thanks![/QUOTE]

The only game you listed better than UD is Ikaruga, IMO.

[quote name='Gabrius']The only game you listed better than UD is Ikaruga, IMO.[/QUOTE]
I haven't played UD but it's unique in style and design. I wouldn't say unique in the good way but of the listed games Ikaruga is the only I would say is above average.

[quote name='Gabrius']The only game you listed better than UD is Ikaruga, IMO.[/QUOTE]

Hey is this Gabrius from the gamefaqs 360 board?

bread's done
Back