Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

If you can't slam with the best (aka RPG Thread XVIII), then jam with the rest!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2039 replies to this topic

#301 sherlock2g

sherlock2g

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:56 PM

Man I have a lot I didn't finish. Mostly DS games like Chrono Trigger, Mario and Luigi and others. That's due to my lovely son deleting my save data and I don't want to go back and play from the begining again.

#302 Zmonkay

Zmonkay

Awesome in Small Doses

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:09 PM

Going thru my current-gen rpg backlog. It seems Disgaea 3 has been sitting on the shelf the longest, so I will give it a shot. Not played any of the other Disgaea games, but I started 3 not long after it came out, played a couple hours, then got distracted.

What RPGs have been sitting in your backlog the longest?

Probably Icewind Dale series. I dabbled a bit in ID1, but obviously never played Heart of Winter, and never got around to installing 2. Bought that shit in, what was it, like 2003? haha...

(Technically have some shitty ass PS1 RPG I bought for like a buck from a Circuit City clearance, got home and saw the reviews were ass, and wasn't worth my time to return it, but that doesn't count)
For Sale: Like New/Opened Once Japanese Transformer 2010 Reissue Predaking http://www.cheapassg...291#post2498291

yourfree360games referal: SIGN UP AND GET FREE 360 games with easy and free (or dirt cheap) trial offers
http://www.yourfree3....php?ref=233445

#303 panzerfaust

panzerfaust

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:39 PM

5 hours into FFV - how come no one ever talks about this one? it's super addicting.

UjCoyFa.png

#304 SinOfHeart

SinOfHeart

Teddie's #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:43 PM

5 hours into FFV - how come no one ever talks about this one? it's super addicting.

Probably because it wasn't released in the US until after FFVIII came out, as well as FFT which had at least an equivalent implementation of the job system. Plus the plot seemed weaker than FFIV's plot which came before it, as well as the plot of FFT which had a similar progression system and came out before FFV in the US.

662978.pngTeddie_Swimsuit_Sig.jpg
sig.gif

#305 Indignate

Indignate

Hell Yeah, I’m the Motherfucking Princess!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:49 PM

V's story really is bland.

#306 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:50 PM

Cause it was sandwiched between IV and VI, which were both much more awesome.

#307 ID2006

ID2006

"Klaymen, up here!"

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:06 AM

Not to mention the unbalanced job system. You get one of the best jobs right off the bat. Makes the game super easy.

However, it was pretty much the last colorful FF game for a while (before Square started shifting to realistic, darker sets), so that was something to enjoy.

#308 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:08 AM

Because I've been the only person here who loves the game, apparently ^ :razz:
sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

:-({|=  The Video Game Soundtrack Deals Thread ~ Where and how to buy game music online. Oh, and deals, too!
:whee: PAX Prime 2014 Thread ~ It's that time again!

#309 The Crotch

The Crotch

I was famous and I was powerful.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:23 AM

Seriously though, I have Planescape waiting for me...

It's already defeated Panzer and possibly Jekki. I think they both gave up somewhere around the Dead Nations, which is pretty early in.

Posted Image

#310 Indignate

Indignate

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:30 AM

Should I even play Planescape?

#311 panzerfaust

panzerfaust

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:35 AM

Not to mention the unbalanced job system. You get one of the best jobs right off the bat. Makes the game super easy.

..Black Mage?

Eh, well, I'm having a blast.

It's already defeated Panzer and possibly Jekki. I think they both gave up somewhere around the Dead Nations, which is pretty early in.

Torment is currently being remade right? I'll play it then.

UjCoyFa.png

#312 The Crotch

The Crotch

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:37 AM

No. It's a pseudosequel with a different setting and characters. That is, it's Torment, but it ain't Planescape.

Should I even play Planescape?

You already asked me for, like, half the plot, so probably not.

Edited by The Crotch, 03 May 2013 - 12:53 AM.

Posted Image

#313 panzerfaust

panzerfaust

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:53 AM

Oh wtf.

What about a remaster? Or was that just BG2?

UjCoyFa.png

#314 The Crotch

The Crotch

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:58 AM

That's just the BG series at this point.

Posted Image

#315 ID2006

ID2006

"Klaymen, up here!"

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:26 AM

..Black Mage?

Eh, well, I'm having a blast.

Red mage, actually. Max him out and you get one of the best skills in the game.

I had fun with FF5, but it isn't super memorable.

#316 Mr Unoriginal

Mr Unoriginal

Cheap Amish Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:38 AM

Started playing Rogue Galaxy and damn this game is hard!

Its too bad you're still a prick with a stupid gimmick.

#317 keithp

keithp

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:43 AM

Started playing Rogue Galaxy and damn this game is hard!

I applaud you for not calling it Rouge Galaxy. :applause:

#318 Mr Unoriginal

Mr Unoriginal

Cheap Amish Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:47 AM

I applaud you for not calling it Rouge Galaxy. :applause:

That sounds like a sexier game.

Its too bad you're still a prick with a stupid gimmick.

#319 Krymner

Krymner

Posted 03 May 2013 - 02:23 AM

My experience too. Such a disappointment when compared to IV and VI, but its the job system that carries it and makes it interesting. I did dislike the smaller cast of player characters the most I think. A more robust cast would have made it so much better.

#320 Indignate

Indignate

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2013 - 04:00 AM

It has its moments.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CMTXyExkeI‎

#321 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2013 - 04:34 AM

I did dislike the smaller cast of player characters the most I think. A more robust cast would have made it so much better.

And this is part of what separates the IV/VI fans from the V fans.

I like its small playable cast, and wish more JRPGs had them. In terms of tone, it helps make FFV more intimate and focused.
sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

:-({|=  The Video Game Soundtrack Deals Thread ~ Where and how to buy game music online. Oh, and deals, too!

#322 Indignate

Indignate

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2013 - 04:50 AM

I don't mind a small cast WHEN the characters are enjoyable. Legend of Legaia and Golden Sun are examples of fantastic games like that.

I've said before one of the reasons why I love FFIV is because it never lets you pick your party despite the amount of playable characters. It's also why I liked the beginning parts of FFXIII.

I wish more games did that.

#323 ID2006

ID2006

"Klaymen, up here!"

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:37 AM

It has its moments.

*youtube link*

You're right. That song is familiar, and I like it. Still, I wouldn't put it on my playlist. Actually, I think one of the most memorable parts is the intro theme that plays just before the game menu.

I don't mind a small cast WHEN the characters are enjoyable. Legend of Legaia and Golden Sun are examples of fantastic games like that.

I've said before one of the reasons why I love FFIV is because it never lets you pick your party despite the amount of playable characters. It's also why I liked the beginning parts of FFXIII.

I wish more games did that.

I half agree. I like games to switch between forced selection and occasionally letting the player decide, like FF6, and to a lesser extent Chrono Trigger, did.

I also really like when a game has a storyline that splits the cast apart and allows you to play through each path to a point before they converge later.

#324 Indignate

Indignate

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:26 AM

I also really like when a game has a storyline that splits the cast apart and allows you to play through each path to a point before they converge later.

Best and worst moment of FFVIII

#325 Krymner

Krymner

Posted 03 May 2013 - 02:18 PM

I enjoy large casts of characters in books, movies and TV shows like the Lord of the Rings, Star Wars/Trek, and Game of Thrones. When done correctly, it usually leads to a stronger story, better drama, and a more involved experience. But often in RPGs a large cast is just filler. Take Chrono Cross, for example. There's a large number of characters to recruit, but very few have any relevence to the story at all, unlike the characters from Chrono Trigger who stay active within the story for the whole game.

Not to say I don't enjoy a more intimate smaller cast. Again, it just depends on how its handled. Games like DQ VIII handled their small cast very well I thought.

#326 panzerfaust

panzerfaust

Posted 03 May 2013 - 05:10 PM

If you didn't like V's cast, I mean, sure I'll hear you out, but asking for more characters would really bog down the job system.

IV had more characters so as to give you constantly changing party compositions throughout the game, and I thought that was the most interesting part. You'll have a bard in one dungeon and two mages in the next, which kept things fresh. V has a job system for you to play with different classes at any moment, however, so naturally you don't want to overwhelm the player with 6-8 playable personalities if the jobs already offer a slew of options to begin with. I can't imagine trying to allocate points properly between party split ups and new character introductions in a game like FFV, that would be a nightmare.

And I'm not saying V's idea is better than IV's, just that they both have their own goals and limitations in mind. Adding characters to V is like adding towns and a world map to XIII. It's a big no no.

UjCoyFa.png

#327 Krymner

Krymner

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:09 PM

I disagree, but I see your point. I'm just saying Final Fantasy Tactics and its portable sequels handled complicated job systems with large casts very well, so it is possible to have both.

My opinion is FFV had a very weak story with a small cast of forgettable characters, and a larger cast could have made it much more interesting if handled correctly.

#328 panzerfaust

panzerfaust

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:10 PM

FFT was an SRPG, lol. I don't even know where to start with that comparison. I'm not saying you can't have jobs plus a large cast, just that with FFV's take on jobs, it certainly makes sense to have only a few characters.

I'm sure if FFV took place on grid based battlefields, they'd find a way to add in some more soldiers.

UjCoyFa.png

#329 The Crotch

The Crotch

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:12 PM

I'm willing to bet that 90% of FFT players used the same characters.

Posted Image

#330 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:20 PM

FFT was an SRPG, lol. I don't even know where to start with that comparison. I'm not saying you can't have jobs plus a large cast, just that with FFV's take on jobs, it certainly makes sense to have only a few characters.

I'm sure if FFV took place on grid based battlefields, they'd find a way to add in some more soldiers.

Yup.

The aesthetic "feeling" of the game aside, panzer makes a good point in that a small cast is better suited to a flexible job system than a large one in a non-SRPG JRPG. FFX-2 is another example of such a system in action, with even less PCs than FFV.

I'm willing to bet that 90% of FFT players used the same characters.

Disgaea and similar Nippon Ichi SRPGs as well. For example, aside from Laharl/Etna/Flonne, I used Thursday a ton in the first game.
sig.gif
2014 Completed Games